Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

MetaJew posted:

When I first bought my car (MS3) I left the auto-headlights switch on. But then, occasionally, I would leave a parking garage and drive into broad daylight and my headlights wouldn't turn off and my gauge cluster wouldn't lighten back up. After that happened a few times I just switched back to manually toggling my lights when I needed them.

I don't know about the first gen ones, but the second gen MS3 you can click the dimmer adjustment like it was the trip odometer and it will cancel the dimming. Then you click it again and it goes back to your dim setting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Keyser S0ze posted:

I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

I drive a BMW and I keep the switch on manual because I drive rentals enough that auto headlights create potentially dangerous and bad habits.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I find it's the people with the auto-headlights that are the worst. It's almost always higher end cars that are driving around without lights because of it. They have it on almost all the time but that one time they turn it off to manual because [situation] and then they forget to put it back on auto and assume it still is and their headlights are just dirty or something. I know it's supposed to be a feature and all, but it's one of those features I really wish would be removed by all manufacturers for the greater good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viper915 posted:

I don't know about the first gen ones, but the second gen MS3 you can click the dimmer adjustment like it was the trip odometer and it will cancel the dimming. Then you click it again and it goes back to your dim setting!

First gen has it too, I use it religiously :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

I can't remember the last time I had to turn on my own headlights either.

In my 98 Isuzu.

:smug:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Naky posted:

I find it's the people with the auto-headlights that are the worst. It's almost always higher end cars that are driving around without lights because of it. They have it on almost all the time but that one time they turn it off to manual because [situation] and then they forget to put it back on auto and assume it still is and their headlights are just dirty or something. I know it's supposed to be a feature and all, but it's one of those features I really wish would be removed by all manufacturers for the greater good.

Just wait. Auto High Beams are out there now as well, and will surely trickle down to every car.

I was driving a '12 Grand Cherokee last night and it was creepy how well it worked.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drive a BMW and I keep the switch on manual because I drive rentals enough that auto headlights create potentially dangerous and bad habits.

Yeah, I understand that. I freak out sometimes when I have to drive an automatic and someone locks up in front of me and I react by immediately looking for clutches and gearshifts to engage and stop, plus the big giant brake pedal throws me off.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

IOwnCalculus posted:

First gen has it too, I use it religiously :)

I just have a problem with my MS3 auto lights turning off while it's raining. I don't like that.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Just another reason flip-up headlights own. I can see and hear them when they go up. Of course, when they freeze shut...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Just another reason flip-up headlights own. I can see and hear them when they go up. Of course, when they freeze shut...

Well clearly you need to switch to HIDZ so the heat melts the ice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

But there's a button to leave them up in the snow?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LTBS posted:

I just have a problem with my MS3 auto lights turning off while it's raining. I don't like that.

Daytime rain is pretty much the only condition I have to manually turn mine on for, because it's still juuust light enough out to tell the sensor not to. Headlights in the rain are more to be seen, not for helping you see, anyway.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah, I understand that. I freak out sometimes when I have to drive an automatic and someone locks up in front of me and I react by immediately looking for clutches and gearshifts to engage and stop, plus the big giant brake pedal throws me off.

Strange but when I drive an auto I realize there's no clutch and don't go for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wav3form posted:

Strange but when I drive an auto I realize there's no clutch and don't go for it.

I noticed this going back to an auto for the first time in a year or two as well, but even so I frequently reached for the shifter, especially when making left turns at lights.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

wav3form posted:

blame car control clinic drills

drive 35 mph straight at cones
ditch left or right based on flag signal
lock up in target box without stalling (meaning take the car out of loving gear so it doesn't stall and you can get away from exploding tanker truck or zombies in front of you)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ziploc posted:

But there's a button to leave them up in the snow?

I'm curious -- do all popup headlights have that mode?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I'm curious -- do all popup headlights have that mode?
I would expect not, since there's mechanical popup headlights like the Opel GT (though those almost certainly stay where they're put). I don't remember seeing that feature on an AE86 I drove either unless I was especially thick that day.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

wav3form posted:

I've given a few people wiplash before, but generally 5 minutes and I'm fine. My right hand drifts over the gearshift a lot though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

I've given a few people wiplash before, but generally 5 minutes and I'm fine. My right hand drifts over the gearshift a lot though.

.... then something horrible happens in front of you and you revert to emergency instincts for a second or two before you realize have neither a clutch pedal nor a gearshift (that's all I was trying to say).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, it's hard to fight years and years of muscle memory in a split second. I tend not to worry about it on the basis that, if something happens in front of me suddenly enough to make me instinctively go for the clutch, an emergency stop is probably an appropriate response anyway.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would expect not, since there's mechanical popup headlights like the Opel GT (though those almost certainly stay where they're put). I don't remember seeing that feature on an AE86 I drove either unless I was especially thick that day.

The AW11 MR2 I used to drive had a setting to keep the lights flipped up, so I'd imagine an AE86 would have the same feature.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The GT is actually supposed to turn the lights on when you flip them over. However, the switches and wiring for it are fiddly and rarely survive, so most owners install a separate switch.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Our '93 Probe had a button to keep the lights up, our '95 didn't.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
240SX and Miata both have popup switches.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Where's all the NSX talk after the superbowl commercial?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hashal posted:

Perhaps nobody cares about the hybrid definitely-not-supercar, just sport-looking-thing they keep changing the story about? After years worth of blue balls and speculations, we should probably wait for some solid numbers before picking up that discussion.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

240SX and Miata both have popup switches.

i have a 97 180sx with the switch, my buddies 91 doesnt.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

i have a 97 180sx with the switch, my buddies 91 doesnt.

He should...

My 89, and both 93s have/had it, along with my friends 91, I don't see why your friends wouldn't, whats in the place of the button?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nitrox posted:

Perhaps nobody cares about the hybrid definitely-not-supercar, just sport-looking-thing they keep changing the story about?

This is me. They went from pure drivers car to techno mental. I no longer care about the NSX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hashal posted:

We remembered the CR-Z and said no thanks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

He should...

My 89, and both 93s have/had it, along with my friends 91, I don't see why your friends wouldn't, whats in the place of the button?

I dont know, actually. But mine was a type X that came with the factory fog lights which were removed, along with the fog lights button. Id say the PO of his car removed the button when he swapped the dash lights out with red LEDS :rice:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Laserface posted:

I dont know, actually. But mine was a type X that came with the factory fog lights which were removed, along with the fog lights button. Id say the PO of his car removed the button when he swapped the dash lights out with red LEDS :rice:

But its one of the big rear end buttons, wonder if it has a Silvia cluster surround or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

D C posted:

But its one of the big rear end buttons, wonder if it has a Silvia cluster surround or something.

big rear end buttons? i have the hazard and rear wiper on the 'big' buttons and then down beside the steering column/keys I have the headlight button, and a few blanks. Im assuming these were for options like fogs/cruise control if it was available.

Ours are imported from Japan (never sold domestically) so there may be differences between the JDM and USDM models. The few that were sold domestically were the coupes with the regular coupe lights the JDM models have, and in the same spot they actually get a dimmer knob for the dash lights (Australian Design Rules requirement).

either way these are not new cars so maybe this derail has gone far enough :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Viper915 posted:

This is true on the 1st gen, as others have said-- I just don't see the benefit. I'm smart enough to turn my headlights on in low light conditions. The stalk is also easier to access than reaching through the steering wheel as I'm driving.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Am I the only one that thinks the new NSX looks like dog poo poo?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yes?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

travisray2004 posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the new NSX looks like dog poo poo?

No.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I think it looks awesome but am bummed they hopped aboard the AWD hybrid bandwagon. An NSX should be RWD. :mad:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hey look, we're discussing the NSX!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

A5H posted:

So BMW's diesel M car is a straight six with TRIPLE turbos. What?

Next Porsche 911 Turbo (991) will also have three turbos.

quote:

As revealed in a series of recent patent applications made by the German car maker, the Porsche system uses three individual turbochargers. One smaller unit is mounted close to the engine to boost low-end response together with two larger ones similar to the Borg Warner units in use today.

As well as increasing overall power and providing a more linear delivery at the lower end of the rev range, the new induction process is also claimed to improve efficiency — something well placed Weissach sources suggest will bring about significant fuel savings.