Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
That certainly is some sort of post. I appreciate the colourful pictures though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

This is me throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening, please help Bicehunter

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PalmTreeFun posted:

Got links? I'd love to try this. It'd make getting experience points a lot less awful.

While we're at it, overhaul the potions/enchantments system to be like Skyrim's. They're already basically that but worse in every way.

Here you go. Doesn't overhaul the enchantments/potions, but it does make combat more interesting with the dungeon mods. They'll all broadcast their attacks, so use parry as much as possible or they'll kill you.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/746330-11better-dungeons-v092-mods-for-the-adventurers/

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Here you go. Doesn't overhaul the enchantments/potions, but it does make combat more interesting with the dungeon mods. They'll all broadcast their attacks, so use parry as much as possible or they'll kill you.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/746330-11better-dungeons-v092-mods-for-the-adventurers/

Thanks man. This looks pretty rad and I'm gonna try it tomorrow.

E: Holy poo poo, the dungeons. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIBHWFTgEE

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 7, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Will anyone even get the Francisco Franco reference..?

Honestly, it's one of my favorite SNL routines. It only takes a couple seconds, it always works, even after the networks' obsession with Franco's medical state, and it's said by Chevy Chase when he was still funny. Pure gold.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Bicehunter posted:

Oy, there is only precalculated lighting in the scene sent up as color vbo, I'm still fiddling around with it, wanted atleast something "good for now". What I try to do is fake ambient occlusion, sort of how minecraft does it. I've set up a couple of rules for it that is:

If there is no block above me then my upside is light as hell.
Otherwise, for each side of the block, follow its normal, evaluate the amount of blocks in a i*j box on that side. If many blocks, then I'm darker. If few blocks then Im lighter. If the block in the normal direction of the side does not have clear sky access then I will also be darker.

Way back when, the way I did it when I hacked it into Minecraft was to look at the blocks immediately surrounding each block. The six blocks that were up against each face of the block weren't counted, which left 20 blocks in all, but some were counted for more than one face so that's 8 per face. Each block had a starting light level, if there was a block aligned with the corner I'd darken that corner by about 10%. If there was a block aligned with an edge, I'd darken both corners it touched by the same. That was the AO mod.

Then for light smoothing I did it an easier way which was just to look at the four blocks around each corner of each face and average the light levels together. Because blocks that are inside a wall recieve no light, that has the same effect of darkening in the corners. They use some variant of this now I think, but I don't know exactly, I've not looked at it since.

Both were janky as hell but seemed to work OK. Doing it in a shader would've probably made a lot of difference, I was doing the same in my little aborted MC clone, but I could never be bothered to go elbow-deep in MC to get GLSL working.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

jeb_ posted:

Default world height is likely to be increased in the future, http://i.imgur.com/nyxrj.png

:woop:

https://twitter.com//jeb_/status/166808028413308928

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Great, I see no reason why not to do this since I guess the "ground" level will be the same and it will only allow for higher towers to be built.. most of that stuff up there is going to be air anyways and that won't impact fps that much.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Bicehunter posted:

Great, I see no reason why not to do this since I guess the "ground" level will be the same and it will only allow for higher towers to be built.. most of that stuff up there is going to be air anyways and that won't impact fps that much.

Actually unless they recoded the chunks to have "dynamic" heights as said before (which they didn't otherwise the new limit would be infinite), now the maps take up twice as much space (if they're twice as tall) on your computer due to air being actual blocks still stored. At least that's how it used to be, unless they actually made it better. In this case; won't chunks also be larger when sent over multiplayer, ie more lag..??

Edit: I mean yeah it looks cool and everything and I welcome the change, but I just hope they didn't screw it up by doing it lazily.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Jewel posted:

Actually unless they recoded the chunks to have "dynamic" heights as said before (which they didn't otherwise the new limit would be infinite), now the maps take up twice as much space (if they're twice as tall) on your computer due to air being actual blocks still stored. At least that's how it used to be, unless they actually made it better. In this case; won't chunks also be larger when sent over multiplayer, ie more lag..??

Edit: I mean yeah it looks cool and everything and I welcome the change, but I just hope they didn't screw it up by doing it lazily.

I was thinking of fps once stuff was loaded :)

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I've seen a couple of minecraft clone images pop up in this thread, so I hope it is okay to share my own effort in here. This is a game I am creating and I have every intention of fully fleshing it out. I would say this game is VERY heavily inspired by minecraft! Please note the game and engine are still in their very early days, and please ignore the ugly developer textures. (own hosting)

Looking out over the (quite plain) world:

A (quite plain) cave opening:

Inside of a (quite plain) cave:

A sectioned off section of (quite plain) ocean/river than is being emptied into a (quite plain) reservoir:

I could rattle off thousands of planned features - but as of yet that means nothing. So for now I will try and show some self restraint. Here are the features I've completed so far:

• Randomly generated world
  • 100% deformable world
  • Walls can be at any angle
  • Infinite worlds
  • Fluid/puddle system
  • Colored lighting)
  • Multiplayer architecture
  • VBO chunks
  • Multi-threaded (chunk generation and render data generation offloaded)
  • Dynamic visibility (don't draw sections of the world/caves/etc that are obscured)
  • Extremely high sky limit / dig depth

Would anyone be interested in me creating a separate thread to detail my progress once I am further along? Does this look like something you would like to test/play?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jewel posted:

If there's any kind of decent data storage in their format then there should be barely any increase from the addition of a huge contiguous set of blocks of one type (air). I don't know about how Minecraft loads these things. Do they use Oct Trees, or at least some other system that'll decently compress this?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

DuFfY posted:

:words:

Would anyone be interested in me creating a separate thread to detail my progress once I am further along? Does this look like something you would like to test/play?

I'd quite like to see some of this in video form, to get a demonstrable idea of to what extent the world is deformable and how you'd want to tweak stuff, both large and small scale single interactions for deformation examples would be great, if that is something that is a part of your game, and to see how you allow players to add to and rearrange parts of the world.

I also want to see how your fluid system works, in real time and a more detailed breakdown of how the water flow works, as well as what kind of overheads your fluid system comes with and how it copes with high volume/traffic fluid flow.

A thread for your thing when it's further along/playable would be great.

MikeJF posted:

If there's any kind of decent data storage in their format then there should be barely any increase from the addition of a huge contiguous set of blocks of one type (air). I don't know about how Minecraft loads these things. Do they use Oct Trees, or at least some other system that'll decently compress this?
I'm not sure about the handling of air blocks and how that affects the file-size, but I'd imagine the main problem is the dimensions of the chunks, specifically the vertical size of each chunk -chunks are 16x16x128 -, if the height/depth of chunks was changed I suppose that could be a means to limiting lag/bandwidth-saturation in multiplayer especially after any proposed height increases.

lohli fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 7, 2012

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

GhostDog posted:

If this ever happened, I could never justify ever saying a bad word about Notch again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GhostDog posted:

I can't say I disagree with him. If Notch is going to start a game publishing studio and publish Psychonauts 2 then goddamn hell yes, but somehow I doubt it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Notch can either:
A) Want to fund it (Best outcome)
B) Want to fund it and help make it (Notchcode in my psychonauts 2 eww)
C) Do nothing, and was only making a joke (Never know, could only be a joke!)

I do so hope he goes with A :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To Bicehunter and anyone else who is even possibly thinking about MAYBE making their own Minecraft-but-better clone.

I can/will do your sounds. Please. As a sound designer, it pisses me off that a) MC has the sounds it does (some are ok, but most aren't) and b) it uses the sound 'engine' it does, which has next-to-no audio functionality beyond "play this sound, or randomize it with this ONE other sound, and modulate the volume based on distance from the player."

I know that I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but really, you're posting interesting stuff, people here seem genuinely interested, we've all said we'd love to play it once it's 'a thing', so I'd like to officially apply for the task.

Bice, I'd send you a PM, but you don't have them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DuFfY posted:

I've seen a couple of minecraft clone images pop up in this thread, so I hope it is okay to share my own effort in here. This is a game I am creating and I have every intention of fully fleshing it out. I would say this game is VERY heavily inspired by minecraft! Please note the game and engine are still in their very early days, and please ignore the ugly developer textures. (own hosting)

This looks really neat and all, but if (as the screenshots suggest) you can divide the world in more than just those traditional cubic pieces, why is all the landscape generated out of cubed layers? It's just weird seeing minecraft-style terrain with a much smoother tunnel/cave bored in it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DuFfY posted:

Either all the clone makers (Begun, the clone wars have, etc etc) keep posting in here, or someone make a Minecraft Clone thread so we don't have to keep track of 19 different clone threads. Also, that way you guys can compete against eachother using screen shots to see who has the best/fastest lighting system, content, features, etc.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Heh, someone just told Notch he's a terrible developer.

xNotch posted:

The hell, man?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/pek2t/notch_tweets_that_hed_be_willing_to_fund/c3opwyw

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

zalmoxes posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/pek2t/notch_tweets_that_hed_be_willing_to_fund/c3opwyw

Ouch! That's loving savage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HauntedRobot posted:

Ouch! That's loving savage.

Do you not read this thread at all? :smug:

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

zalmoxes posted:

And to think, this would actually be a situation where "Fair enough." is the proper response. Oh Notch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Triumphant posted:

And to think, this would actually be a situation where "Fair enough." is the proper response. Oh Notch.

Or NO response! Like a normal person should respond. It's reddit!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hadlock posted:

Either all the clone makers (Begun, the clone wars have, etc etc) keep posting in here, or someone make a Minecraft Clone thread so we don't have to keep track of 19 different clone threads. Also, that way you guys can compete against eachother using screen shots to see who has the best/fastest lighting system, content, features, etc.

I agree with this, I would love to try some of these games as well.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
I totally don't mind seeing lots of MC clones in this thread. I dunno about making a new thread for them all, there's already the (excellent) SA Gamedev thread in Cavern of Cobol.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DuFfY posted:

Inside of a (quite plain) cave:

A sectioned off section of (quite plain) ocean/river than is being emptied into a (quite plain) reservoir:

I could rattle off thousands of planned features - but as of yet that means nothing. So for now I will try and show some self restraint. Here are the features I've completed so far:

• Randomly generated world
  • 100% deformable world
  • Walls can be at any angle
  • Infinite worlds
  • Fluid/puddle system
  • Colored lighting)
  • Multiplayer architecture
  • VBO chunks
  • Multi-threaded (chunk generation and render data generation offloaded)
  • Dynamic visibility (don't draw sections of the world/caves/etc that are obscured)
  • Extremely high sky limit / dig depth

Wow! I really like that! Definitely getting a more "serious builder" vibe out of it than a "game" vibe but that is not a bad thing at all. Sometimes you just want to build cool structures. Already got me thinking about what kinds of things I would want to build.

If you ever want to alpha test that look no further.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Please please please keep the minecraft clone talk here, or in one other thread! I desperately want to learn to do this kind of thing, if only to build my own personal little farming/survival sim one day.

I haven't got the faintest idea where to start though, and seeing y'all's work and reading about your progress is crazy inspiring. Don't stop!

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Pucklynn posted:

Please please please keep the minecraft clone talk here, or in one other thread! I desperately want to learn to do this kind of thing, if only to build my own personal little farming/survival sim one day.

I haven't got the faintest idea where to start though, and seeing y'all's work and reading about your progress is crazy inspiring. Don't stop!

I am similar, I'd really love if someone could throw up a tutorial or something because I have wanted to experiment with a minecraft engine, without knowing where to start because my experience is limited to 2d prototypes. I am more interested in how to though as a learning experience, than actually making a game I would want people to play.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Medieval Medic posted:

I am similar, I'd really love if someone could throw up a tutorial or something because I have wanted to experiment with a minecraft engine, without knowing where to start because my experience is limited to 2d prototypes. I am more interested in how to though as a learning experience, than actually making a game I would want people to play.

If you want to start with XNA, go here. It's the basics of 3d programming with XNA that can quickly be turned into voxely goodness.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait, there's a limit to how high you can build? Why didn't I know this?

What's the limit? :ohdear:

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Jamesman posted:

...how long have you been playing minecraft?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

The entire world (currently) is 128 blocks high, from the bottom level of bedrock to the height limit. Sea level is at 63, so you'll usually have around sixty-odd blocks to play with, depending on how elevated the point you start building from is.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Medieval Medic posted:

Seconding the desire for a Minecraft Clone development thread. I would love to start playing around with a voxel engine and see what directions other people are taking it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

arhra posted:

The entire world (currently) is 128 blocks high, from the bottom level of bedrock to the height limit. Sea level is at 63, so you'll usually have around sixty-odd blocks to play with, depending on how elevated the point you start building from is.

Well poo poo. That just brought my project to a screeching halt then. :(

Shnakepup posted:

...how long have you been playing minecraft?

A couple months. I was aware there was a limit to how deep you could go, but I wasn't aware of a limit to how high you could go as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently back in July 2011 or so they changed the code slightly so that map height is simply a variable you change. This is likely to break savegames and mod support though (along with terrain generation), so try at your own risk.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/93295073374113792

more info: http://forums.canarymod.net/?topic=2219.0 probably check the minecraft mods thread and ask there for more info.

Notch's example of terrain gen code gone horribly wrong with a sky height of 512

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 7, 2012

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Hadlock posted:

Apparently back in July 2011 or so they changed the code slightly so that map height is simply a variable you change. This is likely to break savegames and mod support though (along with terrain generation), so try at your own risk.

Notch's example of terrain gen code gone horribly wrong with a sky height of 512

Jen says he will not be changing the gen code and has a converter to previous saves so that it just puts in air blocks above what used to be the height limit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

more info: http://forums.canarymod.net/?topic=2219.0 probably check the minecraft mods thread and ask there for more info.

I want this to be official so drat soon. This might get me back into playing MC again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What ever happened to the cubic chunks mod? God forbid you make the game infinite in three directions.