Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Essobie posted:

The part where it actually does it, or the part where in the latest version it doesn't do it anymore? :confused:

Whether or not it does it any longer I'm not going to use software from a developer that would do it ever.

You can if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Anyone know if a "GPS calibration" app? I don't even know if this would be the correct route of fixing this, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy I off eBay, and its fantastic, except the GPS can never pinpoint me within half a mile radius, and it has a real hard time following me if I'm moving in a car.

Really annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Not letting this go unnoticed. I've tried many note taking apps, but One Note is the best thing ever. I have been dying for an android app for it.

It seems pretty well done as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MentosMan posted:

Anyone know if a "GPS calibration" app? I don't even know if this would be the correct route of fixing this, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy I off eBay, and its fantastic, except the GPS can never pinpoint me within half a mile radius, and it has a real hard time following me if I'm moving in a car.

Really annoying.

There is no fix for the Galaxy S GPS.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

landis posted:

When did you last try it? It's come a long way and is really robust now, far better than any browser.

This. The awful app is so much better than using a browser.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Install Gentoo posted:

There is no fix for the Galaxy S GPS.

The original (international) version isn't too bad.

Download this and see what it says: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gyshall posted:

Not letting this go unnoticed. I've tried many note taking apps, but One Note is the best thing ever. I have been dying for an android app for it.

It seems pretty well done as well.

FYI, the free version is limited to 500 notes on skydrive. To unlock unlimited is $5.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bull3964 posted:

FYI, the free version is limited to 500 notes on skydrive. To unlock unlimited is $5.

Already paid it. I don't mind. I use OneNote on a daily basis. God I sound like a commercial.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now Microsoft really needs to just bite the bullet and release a Zune app.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Gyshall posted:

Already paid it. I don't mind. I use OneNote on a daily basis. God I sound like a commercial.
Is it that much better than Evernote or Catch? I don't really use the note taking apps I have all that much, but I guess I might shell out 5$ if OneNote is really that much better. It does integrate well with other Microsoft stuff at least, I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it that much better than Evernote or Catch? I don't really use the note taking apps I have all that much, but I guess I might shell out 5$ if OneNote is really that much better. It does integrate well with other Microsoft stuff at least, I guess.

Well, if you don't use the note taking apps all that much as it is, I'm guessing you aren't going to hit the 500 note limit in that notebook. So, there would be no reason to pay.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

MentosMan posted:

Really annoying.
I feel your pain, I used to have one of those. Your best bet is to load a rom that claims to fix it, I can't recommend one and this is definitely a case of ymmv so unfortunately you're doomed to experiment and/or read the xda forums. There are fixes there that don't require a custom rom that you can try as well. And by fixes, I mean tweaked settings and similar software-side workarounds that try to alleviate the issue, the root problem is that the hardware is flawed. There's only so much you can do.

It's not a terrible phone but honestly, in the end I sold it and got a Nexus S.

landis fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 8, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Onenote is loving ace. What I however don't like, and that's not just a problem with the Android version, is that login and sync on Microsoft services is soooooo loving slow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
LBE just went full-on Chinese. There's a previous version (I think) on the market that looks to be in English, but is there something ...not quite as shady that will do the same thing?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

hooah posted:

LBE just went full-on Chinese. There's a previous version (I think) on the market that looks to be in English, but is there something ...not quite as shady that will do the same thing?

The version I just downloaded from the market is in English.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cardiovorax posted:

The actual OneNote desktop application is what got me hooked. A few years ago, I started using it during classes on a whim. I now use it day to day at my job (Network Admin.)

The close-knit compatibility with Outlook and the other Office products is what really makes it great. Within Outlook, I can link task notes, calendar items, and messages into OneNote notebooks. It also has stuff like handwriting recognition, collaboration, and syncing (though you need a Windows Live account). It has been a bit crashy on me, but nothing too terrible.

They do have a trial on their website, if I can convert anyone else: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/

I've tried Springpad/Evernote/Catch and none of these have really fit into my workflow. To each his own, though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gyshall posted:

The actual OneNote desktop application is what got me hooked. A few years ago, I started using it during classes on a whim. I now use it day to day at my job (Network Admin.)

The close-knit compatibility with Outlook and the other Office products is what really makes it great. Within Outlook, I can link task notes, calendar items, and messages into OneNote notebooks. It also has stuff like handwriting recognition, collaboration, and syncing (though you need a Windows Live account). It has been a bit crashy on me, but nothing too terrible.

They do have a trial on their website, if I can convert anyone else: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/

I've tried Springpad/Evernote/Catch and none of these have really fit into my workflow. To each his own, though.
The desktop application is what sets OneNote apart. Its the best part of Office really.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just saw this via Lifehaker:
Transparent Screen

Really? Is this what we need now? Running into things while texting is that big of a problem?

Also, who texts/looks at their phone with it held up like that? I imagine most people are looking down at their phone, so this wouldn't be that helpful anyway...

Still, it's a neat concept...too bad it would suck your battery dead inside of five minutes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Really? Is this what we need now? Running into things while texting is that big of a problem?

Er, that's a year and a half old at least, so... yes? I always thought it was a nice idea.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just saw this via Lifehaker:
Transparent Screen

Microsoft thinks we needs this app.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kind of a dumb question, but if I buy an album from the Market, does Google Music offer any way to download the mp3s later?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The Google Music manager lets you download the MP3s to your computer, yes.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Manky posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but if I buy an album from the Market, does Google Music offer any way to download the mp3s later?

They do! When they were having their big sale, I decided to test it out. I could open the options for any song I'd bought through them and download a simple mp3, seemingly as many times as I liked. I didn't see the option to download an album in one, though, which I thought was silly.

edit: ^^^ I didn't try the Music Manager. I only used their web interface.

Then I noticed there was a "delete album" option and I was all "why? It's digital storage sized for my collection. Why would I care to free up space?" So I clicked it, hoping I'd get a yes/no confirmation that might help me out by saying "this will remove this album from x lists" or whatever. Turns out it just deleted it. And I couldn't re-add it to my collection from the store.

I called up Google's support and they refunded my $5 I lost by clicking on a button and it doing exactly what it said it would. The guy I talked with admitted he couldn't think of any reason anyone would ever click it apart from if you bought the album for a handful of songs and just really hated scrolling through the ones you didn't like. He promised me they were working on the ability to reacquire things you'd bought in the past.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Manky posted:

The website offers you a limited number of single song downloads but no whole albums. The Music Manager allows you to download your whole collection indiscriminately (save for whatever you already have on your drive). The Android app can cache albums or playlists locally, but I think they scramble the filename and metadata so that only Google Music can read it.

It all sort of blows, considering Amazon MP3 will let you download albums or arbitrary playlists as much as you want.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! My laptop is in the shop and I really want the new Dr Dog album, and I wanted to be sure I could get it on their once it's fixed.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
I can't seem to get the "see your desktop tabs on your phone" feature of Chrome Beta to work. Does it matter that I'm using Chromium? I'm supposed to "Sign In to Chrome" from the Chrome menu on my desktop, but there's no such feature in Chromium as far as I can see.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
It should be in your sync options. Make sure you're signed in that and that you've selected to sync tabs.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there a decent money-spending/budget tracking app that also has a web interface/a desktop application?

So far the only one I've found is You Need a Budget, it looks nice, but it's expensive ($60). Any alternatives? I can't use Mint, as I'm not in the states.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

beedeebee posted:

Is there a decent money-spending/budget tracking app that also has a web interface/a desktop application?

So far the only one I've found is You Need a Budget, it looks nice, but it's expensive ($60). Any alternatives? I can't use Mint, as I'm not in the states.

I think we discussed this in this thread recently.

YNAB is really nice, though I agree it's a pretty steep price.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Any recommendations for apps to use with podcasts?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The transparent screen app is pretty crappy and useless. Even with my phone overlooked it still lags

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

inSTAALed posted:

Listen is just fine. I only subscribe to the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, but it does everything I need it to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

inSTAALed posted:

https://market.android.com/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&hl=en

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

inSTAALed posted:

I use ACast. It has a free and paid version, download schedules, and options to limit when to download and stream. It's really nice, and very simple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
OK, so I have the following devices:

LG flat screen and xbox 360
Android phones
Asus transformer
Macbook
Windows 7 laptop

I am thinking it would be nice to have a decent, wireless sound system to stream music too. The biggest one I would like it to interact with are my Android devices: I would place it with my tv so it would be wired there, and streaming from my laptops aren't a necessity.

I use two music services: RDio and Google Music.

I don't need a huge expensive system, just something medium. Honestly, I don't even want a huge system, because then it's a hassle every time I move.

Thoughts on a good solution? Specifically streaming from Android devices?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Duckman2008 posted:

OK, so I have the following devices:

LG flat screen and xbox 360
Android phones
Asus transformer
Macbook
Windows 7 laptop

I am thinking it would be nice to have a decent, wireless sound system to stream music too. The biggest one I would like it to interact with are my Android devices: I would place it with my tv so it would be wired there, and streaming from my laptops aren't a necessity.

I use two music services: RDio and Google Music.

I don't need a huge expensive system, just something medium. Honestly, I don't even want a huge system, because then it's a hassle every time I move.

Thoughts on a good solution? Specifically streaming from Android devices?

All of the newer receivers that I've been looking at lately come with bluetooth. Or you could get a lesser receiver, and just get a bluetooth dongle that you can connect to, and have it plugged into whatever input you want.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

godzirraRAWR posted:

All of the newer receivers that I've been looking at lately come with bluetooth. Or you could get a lesser receiver, and just get a bluetooth dongle that you can connect to, and have it plugged into whatever input you want.

That would do the trick, I'll start looking around the serious hardware forum for recommendations on systems. Thanks!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Duckman2008 posted:

That would do the trick, I'll start looking around the serious hardware forum for recommendations on systems. Thanks!

Let us know what you come up with, I'm interested in the same thing for the same reasons (nearly identical gear).

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

SpacePig posted:

I use ACast. It has a free and paid version, download schedules, and options to limit when to download and stream. It's really nice, and very simple.

This is about what I was looking for.

Thanks for the other recs, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

I can't seem to get the "see your desktop tabs on your phone" feature of Chrome Beta to work. Does it matter that I'm using Chromium? I'm supposed to "Sign In to Chrome" from the Chrome menu on my desktop, but there's no such feature in Chromium as far as I can see.
Chromium is the open source browser Chrome is based on and they are two separate entities. So no, it will not work with Chromium.

• Locked thread