Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mind Spew posted:

good not superhero comic books:

also depending on your tastes

first trade or two are okay, but then it devolves into typical ellis garbage
first trade or two are good but it goes way the gently caress off the rails
crap
cool
superhero
*heavily* dependent on writer
cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
fyi if you read sandman do not judge it until you get to at least issue 8 and preferably a ways into tpb 2. there's a radical shift in tone at that point

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i like ellis because of Planetary :iamafag:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Niel Gaiman is a really, really dully writer

american gods was so loving slow and repetitive. if the protagonist was a mary sue then Gaiman must be the most boring person ever

yeah gaiman does put too much time into things to make it seem deep rather than actually progressing plot

also every time i see a picture of him i think hes snape

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

no head-exploding though, which imo is good; that kind of poo poo seems like it's one step short of "psionics = demi-gods" which is better suited for superhero comics

okay, they're the boring as hell kind, got it

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

theclaw posted:

they're called graphic novels, mom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kirk posted:

planetary is by far the best thing ellis has ever written. but, superhero

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Amethyst posted:

Niel Gaiman is a really, really dully writer

american gods was so loving slow and repetitive. if the protagonist was a mary sue then Gaiman must be the most boring person ever

nah, it's good.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

mr_jim posted:

nah, it's good.

nope, sorry

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

planetary was incredible, but the last few issues had the distinct smell of a hasty "oh-poo poo" series wrap-up.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i really liked global frequency, particularly "big sky"

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah global frequency and planetary made me start readin comics again but then i stopped years ago

last thing i read that was kinda cool was the uhhh

ultimate nightmare i think

where they go to that abandoned base in russia with nuclear landmines

was kinda neat

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

disclaimer: yeah yeah, i know, anime and poo poo, but this is actually good provided you stop at volume 3 and never touch anything else from japan because its pretty well universally poo poo.

its pretty hard science drama about people commissioned to clear out space debris due to an oversaturation in prime orbital real estate but grows pretty nicely from there. the protagonist is a bit of a twat but manages to grow the gently caress up and it doesn't fall into the weird as poo poo trappings that japan seems to love. it gets a bit weird and metaphorical near the end but its a short read and you should check it out

apparently there was a tv series too but i didnt watch it because anime

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

disclaimer: yeah yeah, i know, anime and poo poo, but this is actually good provided you stop at volume 3 and never touch anything else from japan because its pretty well universally poo poo.

its pretty hard science drama about people commissioned to clear out space debris due to an oversaturation in prime orbital real estate but grows pretty nicely from there. the protagonist is a bit of a twat but manages to grow the gently caress up and it doesn't fall into the weird as poo poo trappings that japan seems to love. it gets a bit weird and metaphorical near the end but its a short read and you should check it out

literally not doing any of this

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Kirk posted:

literally not doing any of this

i dont blame you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Mods.

No, seriously, mods.

Alereon, now is the time to make your mark.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

Mods.

No, seriously, mods.

Alereon, now is the time to make your mark.

your username is literally an anime

toby
Dec 4, 2002

that bro just unironically posted anime book

this sci-fi thread is sullied

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

your username is literally an anime

A shameful time in my past I admit and like my av something I'm too lazy to correct

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i wish you could buy name changes for ppl

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

i wish you could buy name changes for ppl

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

golgo13sf posted:

A shameful time in my past I admit and like my av something I'm too lazy to correct

what anime is it

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

toby posted:

that bro just unironically posted anime book

this sci-fi thread is sullied

lock thread and start over

ban all animes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
re: glogglog31

i just read watchmen last month

it was a good buk, curious about the movie. kinda about the same as i am bi-curious

also the first frank miller batman was quite good, not as juvenile as later millers

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
"Πλανήτης" is actually really good. It's not very anime-like at all and I think that fans of western near-future hard SF would like it, if they can get past the fact that it's animated and made in Japan.

But as good as it is, I would never have mentioned the show in this thread, because christ, this is the absolute worst place to recommend something like that.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

ban all animes

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

re: glogglog31

i just read watchmen last month

it was a good buk, curious about the movie. kinda about the same as i am bi-curious

also the first frank miller batman was quite good, not as juvenile as later millers

watchman movie was good but they tried to put way too many sex scenes into it to make not-nerds watch it

also the ending is different but also good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
elektra assassin owned, stray toasters owned

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
bill seinkewowns

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

bill seinkewowns
rotor posting truth itt

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mind Spew posted:

watchman movie was good but they tried to put way too many sex scenes into it to make not-nerds watch it

also the ending is different but also good

I found the movie to be weirdly sterile. It had the pieces in the right order and they looked good, but the whole just didn't work.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

I found the movie to be weirdly sterile. It had the pieces in the right order and they looked good, but the whole just didn't work.

a lot of scenes didn't have as big of an impact as they should have

aside from the scenes with Rorschach those were good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pseudorandom name posted:

not a bad movie, but not a good adaptation either.

the director is a hack, but you could tell he really, really wanted to do right by the source material - it's just that his skills and artistic judgment weren't anywhere close to being up to the task. the end result is just plain weird. you usually don't see hackwork this ambitious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

tng_s8 posted:

A bounty on Wesley attracts increasingly dangerous space mercenaries. Geordi & Data get in a fight, divide the Enterprise in half with tape.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

planetes loving owns. it's about garbagemen in space and is def dope sci fi

also anyone who actually likes transmetropolitan is a loving dork and not worth talking to about anything

Planetes owns gently caress a star track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

planetes loving owns. it's about garbagemen in space and is def dope sci fi

also anyone who actually likes transmetropolitan is a loving dork and not worth talking to about anything

Planetes owns gently caress a star track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE

transmet really owns outside of spider being a huge loving mary sue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the first half of transmet is a pretty decent collection of linked short stories in an interesting edge-of-the-singularity setting (with great art). the second half is a leaden, obvious political analogy with an always-right mary sue protagonist and a cheap cop-out ending (with great art).

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

the first half of transmet is a pretty decent collection of linked short stories in an interesting edge-of-the-singularity setting (with great art). the second half is a leaden, obvious political analogy with an always-right mary sue protagonist and a cheap cop-out ending (with great art).

lol no

I'mma sperg out on this but transmetropolitan is dumbshit pablum sci fi for babbys

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Hey guys I just read transmetropolitan and a bunch of neal stephenson so dig it I'm straight up on the pulse of cyberpunk transhumanism I'm going to make a tumblr cyberspace blog about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ~ɹǝuoq ʇɹɐɟ~

• Locked thread