Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo these are awesome. That Bounce one is the best.

I've been staying at my parents' place until I can find work. My folks watch loving Jerry Springer, Steve Wolzkos or whatever, and Maury and these ads come on during almost every loving break.

And they wonder why I don't watch TV with them.

I actually love daytime TV. I know, I'm weird :colbert:

Vakal posted:

Not sure about the States, but in Canada they changed the name of their stores to The Source.

For a while wasn't it "The Source by Circuit City"? Uggh I hate terrible/awkward branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad came in tonight and asked me if I knew the name of that loving "SOMEBODAY LEFT THE GAAAAYYYYYT OOOOHHHHHPAN!!!" song in that Capital One (I think) commercial because he loves it. He was not loving with me.

I wanted to smack him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Heh, this was a joke on an old Doctor Who episode ("Remembrance of the Daleks"). The Doctor and Ace see a van with some weird looking aerials on it, the Doctor says "What do you suppose that is?" and Ace says "I dunno, TV detector van?" (They're in 1963.)

"The Young Ones" built part of an episode around the TV detector man showing up to bust them because they hadn't paid their license fee. :v:

Speaking of British stuff, on HGTV there's commercials for "Love it or List It" that play this almost-but-not-quite take on the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" that bugs the poo poo out of me because they never quite get around to starting the song. In a similar vein, there's also a commercial that airs quite frequently on that channel (I think it's for Lowes) that sounds damned close to "U.S. 80s-90s" by the Fall.

Neither of these are bad things necessarily, more that it's just annoying because it makes me want to hear the full song when they air.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Valentine's Day ads are getting kind of crass this year, I've seen at least two separate ads (one for the new Twilight movie on DVD and the other for some flower thing) that tell guys to buy these for their girlfriend because, while the guy himself might not like it, if he does he'll be getting sex later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

Valentine's Day ads are getting kind of crass this year, I've seen at least two separate ads (one for the new Twilight movie on DVD and the other for some flower thing) that tell guys to buy these for their girlfriend because, while the guy himself might not like it, if he does he'll be getting sex later.

Yeah, DeBeers has taken that joke Family Guy commercial from, like, season 1 and made it a real ad, essentially.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Yeah, I saw the Twilight one watching Archer last night. I loved the implication that flowers, chocolates and cards are old-hat and generic, but a DVD is the perfect way to say "I love you".

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Maybe it's because I'm a loveless old goon, but there's a local jewelry store commercial that plays over the radio here that pisses me off.

It's these group of girls who are together talking about valentines presents they've got, and one comes in and says she doesn't have to worry because she's been "dropping hints" about whatever jewelry they're trying to sell, and then another one texts her boyfriend about it and all but demands it. And they all have a laugh because it's "only $99"

I think it was that "Only $99" that bugged me the most, actually.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

How to make British TV-watching people hate you:

1) GO COMPAAAAAARE! GO COMPAAAAAARE!

2) WE BUY ANY CAR! WE BUY ANY CAR! ANY! ANY! ANY! ANY! WE BUY ANY CAR!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a loveless old goon, but there's a local jewelry store commercial that plays over the radio here that pisses me off.

It's these group of girls who are together talking about valentines presents they've got, and one comes in and says she doesn't have to worry because she's been "dropping hints" about whatever jewelry they're trying to sell, and then another one texts her boyfriend about it and all but demands it. And they all have a laugh because it's "only $99"

I think it was that "Only $99" that bugged me the most, actually.

But when it comes to jewelery "only $99" is probably a good price. I mean I get pissed off at the Kindle ads where they try to imply that it's a bargain item because people usually spend twice that on sunglasses, apparently, but jewelery is the one item that can and does demand that much money to get something decent.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

If you have to exchange expensive trinkets for sex...what does that make the woman?

It insults both genders, ironically the target gender the most, and yet the gullible just eat it up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Grandpa Pap posted:

"The Young Ones" built part of an episode around the TV detector man showing up to bust them because they hadn't paid their license fee. :v:

And then Viv ate the tv :3:

Valentine's Day is probably the most misogynistic holiday out there. Every commercial for it pursues the whore angle as was pointed out (get her jewelry/a phone/lingerie and you get sex! If you don't she'll never gently caress you again!). It's also insulting that you have to calendar a day to do something nice for your wife/girlfriend. I know there's nothing inherent in Valentine's that says it's a "women's" holiday, but that's how all the advertising is skewed. I can't remember the last time I saw or heard an ad geared towards women buying gifts for men.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vermont Teddy Bear commercials are always terrible, but they definitely take the prize for that one this year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Vermont Teddy Bear commercials are always terrible, but they definitely take the prize for that one this year.

Why would anyone ever buy this. It will do nothing but waste space.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

raditts posted:

I am 100% sure that the guy HERE is going to murder that girl and wear her skin.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

raditts posted:

holy crap, it's the greatest gift in the world! hahaha

Tim Horton's commercials are the worst, they just come right out and declare that it is your duty as a stereotypical Canadian rube to come into Tim Hortons for the absolute worst coffee you will ever drink in your life.

I also don't like Sidney Crosby appearing in 75% of all commercials on sports channels. That guy's sure been using his time on the shelf well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Starsfan posted:

I also don't like Sidney Crosby appearing in 75% of all commercials on sports channels. That guy's sure been using his time on the shelf well.

Has anything been worse than that bread commercial? Hockey players don't get to be in commercials in the U.S.

ThePlotChickens
Apr 15, 2006

Awww. Piggly II.

Farbtoner posted:

The commercial for Acts of Valor, in addition to looking like an awful movie independent of literally being a recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, amuses me to no end because somewhere over the past decade Eminem went from being one of those thug rappers who's corrupting our children to being patriotic red-blooded OORAH music.

I watched the Super Bowl on NBC.com and instead of the normal commercials, they basically ran the same Act of Valor, GE, Budweiser, and/or Chevy commercials during every break. That got old pretty fast. On the plus side, we weren't subjected to the halftime show.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

ThePlotChickens posted:

On the plus side, we weren't subjected to the halftime show.

That sucks because you missed some magic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Toffile posted:

They make awesome beds for kids. True enough its not for any one living in a apartment but they are kinda cool.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Toffile posted:

Are you female because if you are male then all you would have seen in that commercial is the chick wanting to cuddle with that thing instead of her man. I want one for every room now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Farbtoner posted:

The commercial for Acts of Valor, in addition to looking like an awful movie independent of literally being a recruitment film for the Navy SEALS, amuses me to no end because somewhere over the past decade Eminem went from being one of those thug rappers who's corrupting our children to being patriotic red-blooded OORAH music.

The worst version of the ad is the Adult Swim varient they have, where it talks about it's being a guy guy movie and if you don't see it, then your a pussy. Movie looks so awful, don't think anyone will want to restore it in fifty years!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Feel - the - Mexicellence

Feel my finger on the mute button. Really glad they seem to have stopped that lovely commercial.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress that Duracell commercial where they have smoke detector beeps in the background because it makes me look around my house every fuckin time and think it's one of my smoke detectors.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

But when it comes to jewelery "only $99" is probably a good price. I mean I get pissed off at the Kindle ads where they try to imply that it's a bargain item because people usually spend twice that on sunglasses, apparently, but jewelery is the one item that can and does demand that much money to get something decent.

No kidding.

I once wanted to get a friend (A FRIEND!) something nice because she was getting her wings as a naval aviator like a week before Christmas. She'd been talking about how she didn't have any nice jewelry, so I thought I'd get her something. I don't really recall what I got her. Some sort of gold necklace. Pretty sure I cracked $200 on it. It was close to half of all the money I spent that year on gifts.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

vyst posted:

gently caress that Duracell commercial where they have smoke detector beeps in the background because it makes me look around my house every fuckin time and think it's one of my smoke detectors.

The weird thing is, I've seen it on other people's TVs and it sounds like noise in a commercial, but there's something about the TV in my bedroom that makes it sound just like a real loving smoke detector. It's so annoying at night.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has anything been worse than that bread commercial? Hockey players don't get to be in commercials in the U.S.

Wayne Gretzsky was the focus of a year long Bud Light commercial. Does nobody remember the Bubble Boys?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Not An Irish Monk posted:

That sucks because you missed some magic.

Is that the Batman symbol?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9s-VkwSfNA

OH HOLY gently caress NEW FROM SHAMWOW OR WHATEVER THE poo poo IT'S THE SCHTICKY

LOOK AT THAT WE MADE A PRISON JOKE OH poo poo ALL THREE SCHTICKYS ONLY NINETEEN loving GODDAMN DOLLARS PLUS FIFTY BUCKS "SHIPPING AND HANDLING" BUY NOW SCHTICKY SCHTICKY SCHTICKY

I really hate Vince Offer, and Schticky is a retarded name to give to a product, just like Slap-Chop and Shamwow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The GEICO ad where the fat guy hires middle-school girls to follow him around and criticize him is a bit disturbing.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

edit: haha wrong thread...i hit the wrong tab

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 13, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Discover card begs to differ.

I love that Tim Thomas one.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Local commercial here. White girl rapping about this place that sells lovely old dell business line computers for 2x what you can find on ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi76OgITLAc

My wife hates it cause she thinks it's a bad Nikki Minaj impersonation. Little does she know that this girl is supposed to be some legitimate white female rapper trying to make a name for herself locally. I just found this out looking up the vid. Its horrible.

edit: I wish I could find their old ads with "the bargain hunter", a really bad crocodile hunter ripoff.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

saberwulf posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9s-VkwSfNA

OH HOLY gently caress NEW FROM SHAMWOW OR WHATEVER THE poo poo IT'S THE SCHTICKY

LOOK AT THAT WE MADE A PRISON JOKE OH poo poo ALL THREE SCHTICKYS ONLY NINETEEN loving GODDAMN DOLLARS PLUS FIFTY BUCKS "SHIPPING AND HANDLING" BUY NOW SCHTICKY SCHTICKY SCHTICKY

I really hate Vince Offer, and Schticky is a retarded name to give to a product, just like Slap-Chop and Shamwow.

I really can't tell if this is supposed to be serious or not.

"Hey ladies, you can schticky your pussy!"

"Oh, sorry, I see you're playing with your schticky, I'll come back later!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The products are real and you can buy them, but Vince has been doing this goofy stuff for years now.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

DJExile posted:

The products are real and you can buy them, but Vince has been doing this goofy stuff for years now.

"You're gonna love my nuts!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

So I just saw this...thing. It's not so much the content of the commercial but GODDAMN the faces.

I guess it's an effective ad campaign because I was doing something else, but stopped and stared as soon as I caught a glimpse of deformed cartoon head. :stare:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlothfulCobra posted:

"Hey ladies, you can schticky your pussy!"

"Oh, sorry, I see you're playing with your schticky, I'll come back later!"

He's trying to capitalize on his internet fame and "go viral", the problem is that when you try to be wacky and outrageous it almost always fails.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best commercials right now are the new Old Spice ones where it starts out as a commercial for a different (real) product and then Terry Crews busts through the wall shouting about Old Spice.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I feel terrible that I had to look up which song they were singing in the latest Cosmopolitan commercial. Those commercials are always top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Tyberius posted:

I feel terrible that I had to look up which song they were singing in the latest Cosmopolitan commercial. Those commercials are always top notch.
And the place is amazing. Easily my favorite place to go on the Strip.