Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hirams Bitch posted:

Based on his appearance on Legends Roundtable and on all prior DDP experience, any question you ask him will end up in a story about how awesome DDP is

Well no poo poo, he's a wrestler. They all do that.

What's weird is that any WWE discussion homegrown WCW stars because always leads into a prolonged bitching session about Goldberg, even though DDP got himself pretty insanely over and totally counts as a homegrown star. I can't tell if they don't bring him up on purpose or by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Well no poo poo, he's a wrestler. They all do that.

What's weird is that any WWE discussion homegrown WCW stars because always leads into a prolonged bitching session about Goldberg, even though DDP got himself pretty insanely over and totally counts as a homegrown star. I can't tell if they don't bring him up on purpose or by accident.

DDP was on the Legends Roundtable about Bad Asses. His three stories were about :

1. How DDP is a bad rear end
2. How Eric Bischoff is a bad rear end
3. How DDP tried to convince Bischoff not to let Steve Austin go.

Now he didn't interrupt people to talk about himself like Michael Hayes, but basically when he did talk at all it was about DDP.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hirams Bitch posted:

3. How DDP tried to convince Bischoff not to let Steve Austin go.

Can't speak for the others, but that one's probably true. DDP and Austin were buddies and rode together, so I'm sure he tried to stick up for Austin at some point. If he cared enough to get Jim Mitchell a job, he would definitely try to save Austin's.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Can't speak for the others, but that one's probably true. DDP and Austin were buddies and rode together, so I'm sure he tried to stick up for Austin at some point. If he cared enough to get Jim Mitchell a job, he would definitely try to save Austin's.

His story was about how he (DDP) used to tape his matches to watch them back later, and on a couple of the tapes he found Austin doing commentary, often imitating Gordon Solie and others. Based on that DDP knew Austin would be a megastar one day so he tried to stop Bischoff when he heard Austin had been let go.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hirams Bitch posted:

His story was about how he (DDP) used to tape his matches to watch them back later, and on a couple of the tapes he found Austin doing commentary, often imitating Gordon Solie and others. Based on that DDP knew Austin would be a megastar one day so he tried to stop Bischoff when he heard Austin had been let go.

Foley did fake commentary on those things too and he thought the same thing, so it's not like DDP was the only one.

This isn't to say that DDP doesn't put himself over when he shouldn't, but this is one instance where he's probably not exaggerating all that much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
DDP has always been a self promoter. It was one of the things people made fun of him for during the Monday night wars since every idea was either DDP's or Raven's depending on who you listened to.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
DDP got me into wrestling. So gently caress the haters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRayPer posted:

DDP has always been a self promoter. It was one of the things people made fun of him for during the Monday night wars since every idea was either DDP's or Raven's depending on who you listened to.

Also all moves were created by Nova.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That Diamond Dallas Promo YouTube video has me thinking that he was super-amazing and now I am convinced that I really missed the boat by not paying any attention to him back in the day.

Related: Did DDP and Savage have exclusively amazing matches together, as the only two guys who actually wanted to plan things beforehand?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also all moves were created by Nova.

Those that weren't invented by Kanyon or Makenko.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quarex posted:

That Diamond Dallas Promo YouTube video has me thinking that he was super-amazing and now I am convinced that I really missed the boat by not paying any attention to him back in the day.

Related: Did DDP and Savage have exclusively amazing matches together, as the only two guys who actually wanted to plan things beforehand?

The DDP/Savage matches were basically the last good matches of Savage's career. He had been pretty bad for the year leading up to that feud, then had this great series with DDP and went on to have atrocious matches after that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
DDP was awesome because of all those Diamond Cutter Variations that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Also yeah his match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc was probably the only good Goldberg bout I've seen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As cool as the powerbomb cutter was, my favorite Diamond Cutter of all time is the one onto the table in the Uncensored 98 three way. Obviously the table is supposed to break, but there's something about the visual of a Diamond Cutter onto a table that DOESN'T break and DDP kind of sliding on top of him after this brutal war. It's really cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We just finished watching the Sting/nWo feud compilation and now I'm freshly pissed off at WCW again. How the gently caress could they blow what seemed to be an angle absolutely impossible to gently caress up? Jesus Christ, what a slap in the face after a year of building up their "dark knight" hero only for THAT to be the result.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

We just finished watching the Sting/nWo feud compilation and now I'm freshly pissed off at WCW again. How the gently caress could they blow what seemed to be an angle absolutely impossible to gently caress up? Jesus Christ, what a slap in the face after a year of building up their "dark knight" hero only for THAT to be the result.

There needs to be an axiom or postulate about "The likelihood an angle will draw money is directly proportional to the likelihood the booker will gently caress it up."

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I always thought Hogan was to blame for the bullshit that happened at, and after Starcade. "I know what would be awesome brother, I'll pin Sting clean and have Brett Hart hold the bellman's arm, then all hell will break loose in the ring and Sting will hit a splash and sink in the scorpion deathlock for the win."

That poo poo had to of been Hogan invoking creative control, there's no way Sting, let alone Brett Hart sign up for that poo poo if it came from Dusty, Nash or whoever had the book at that time. I refuse to believe it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

maniacripper posted:

I always thought Hogan was to blame for the bullshit that happened at, and after Starcade. "I know what would be awesome brother, I'll pin Sting clean and have Brett Hart hold the bellman's arm, then all hell will break loose in the ring and Sting will hit a splash and sink in the scorpion deathlock for the win."

That poo poo had to of been Hogan invoking creative control, there's no way Sting, let alone Brett Hart sign up for that poo poo if it came from Dusty, Nash or whoever had the book at that time. I refuse to believe it.

There has always been the claim that Hogan influenced the ref to count slow. On the VHS copy of Starrcade 97 they had to speed it up so things made sense.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There is this really weird thing in wrestling where if there's a chance to make more money than the Queen in one night and all you have to do is not gently caress up the unbelievably easy and obvious thing then there is an almost 100% likelihood that someone is going to gently caress it up because they're big babies.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

According to DDP, he gave Raven the grunge idea.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Hogan coerced the ref or anything, it was just typical Bischoff over thinking the angle and typical WCW incompetence.

Plus, it's not like Hogan made Sting look like a million bucks in the preceding ten minutes before the fall.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LordPants posted:

I don't think Hogan coerced the ref or anything, it was just typical Bischoff over thinking the angle and typical WCW incompetence.

Plus, it's not like Hogan made Sting look like a million bucks in the preceding ten minutes before the fall.
Well, the story is that Hulk Hogan paid off Nick Patrick to intentionally count normal to make it look like he legitimately beat Sting without shenanigans, before Bret Hart would come out. If that were true, he made Hart look like a total fool for coming in and saying there weren't going to be any screwjobs while he were around.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Well, the story is that Hulk Hogan paid off Nick Patrick to intentionally count normal to make it look like he legitimately beat Sting without shenanigans, before Bret Hart would come out. If that were true, he made Hart look like a total fool for coming in and saying there weren't going to be any screwjobs while he were around.

Whether or not this actually happened (I believe it did), it certainly came across this way when it aired.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The whole ending of that angle really is one of the biggest WTF!? moments, considering how PERFECT of a build up it was. Even Sting's intro that night was underwhelming IMO. He's been loving flying down into the ring dramatically for a year.....and his intro is that he just basically walks out to the ring, hardly any pyro or anything.

If there EVER a time for some crazy Undertaker like entrance, THAT was the time.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I started watching WCW during the Fall of 1997 because of all the hype surrounding Sting's buildup. Sting could have been one of the biggest stars in wrestling history if they didn't gently caress that up.

That's not to say he's not a star now, but he seriously could have been an Undertaker or John Cena sized star. I don't think he would have been as big as Hogan or Austin.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I started watching WCW during the Fall of 1997 because of all the hype surrounding Sting's buildup. Sting could have been one of the biggest stars in wrestling history if they didn't gently caress that up.

That's not to say he's not a star now, but he seriously could have been an Undertaker or John Cena sized star. I don't think he would have been as big as Hogan or Austin.

He certainly wouldn't have been looking like a crab and being a second fiddle member of the Wolfpac had it been done correctly.

They also wouldn't have had to rush Goldberg to the main event and could have waited until Starrcade to put the belt on him.

Maybe do a better job on legitimizing Bret Hart and having him and Sting at Starrcade 98.

Ugh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The whole ending of that angle really is one of the biggest WTF!? moments, considering how PERFECT of a build up it was. Even Sting's intro that night was underwhelming IMO. He's been loving flying down into the ring dramatically for a year.....and his intro is that he just basically walks out to the ring, hardly any pyro or anything.

If there EVER a time for some crazy Undertaker like entrance, THAT was the time.

Didn't he have some kind of laser intro that didn't work very well? I remember thinking it'd be a good idea if it actually worked (it didn't work).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flashy_mcflash posted:

Didn't he have some kind of laser intro that didn't work very well? I remember thinking it'd be a good idea if it actually worked (it didn't work).

The intro was pretty epic from what I remember... the laser projection was a bit lovely. It was a laser projection of Sting swinging a baseball bat, and it would zoom into his eye and loop pretty much. And there was also a scorpion animation in there too. But you had the debut of his theme music which was bad rear end, and the kid talking over the laser projection. It was pretty good build up for the time. This was before Undertaker was doing his stuff with monks coming down to the ring and things like that, so for the time it was great!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Astro7x posted:

The intro was pretty epic from what I remember... the laser projection was a bit lovely. It was a laser projection of Sting swinging a baseball bat, and it would zoom into his eye and loop pretty much. And there was also a scorpion animation in there too. But you had the debut of his theme music which was bad rear end, and the kid talking over the laser projection. It was pretty good build up for the time. This was before Undertaker was doing his stuff with monks coming down to the ring and things like that, so for the time it was great!

I remember being a Sting mark and seeing that intro and being convinced I was about to see the greatest match of all time.

Even knowing how lovely the match is, I still get pumped seeing that intro. I feel like they should just attach that intro to good matches just to give it the value it deserves.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe it was just my feed but I remember the lasers not being particularly visible (I don't even think they were projected on a perfectly flat surface) and the child's voice being completely unintelligible.

I still marked though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe it was just my feed

Would have to be. Go watch a HQ cut and awe at that poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to do that, he already made Sting look like a joke in the match itself so why bother making Nick Patrick not do a fast count? And plus, Hogan got the title back like five minutes after that match which surely would have been agreed upon before hand. It just doesn't really add up to me.

Reading Bret's book, considering he was involved in match, he makes no mention of anything like, or that there was any suspicion of anything like that. Just that WCW was creatively bankrupt at the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LordPants posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to do that, he already made Sting look like a joke in the match itself so why bother making Nick Patrick not do a fast count? And plus, Hogan got the title back like five minutes after that match which surely would have been agreed upon before hand. It just doesn't really add up to me.

Reading Bret's book, considering he was involved in match, he makes no mention of anything like, or that there was any suspicion of anything like that. Just that WCW was creatively bankrupt at the time.

He got the title ea week later and he did not even bother doing the fast count. Hogan had creative control and he could have gone to Bichoff and said that he should have the belt back

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

LordPants posted:

It's Hulk Hogan. If Nick Patrick did a fast count, then Hogan lost clean, and the Hulkster looks bad. But if it was a regular count that got reversed, the Hulkster saves face.

Besides, none of the booking for that match made sense - it should've been a two minute squash, maybe prolonged with a run-in by the Outsiders but Sting would fight them off.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hirams Bitch posted:

Besides, none of the booking for that match made sense - it should've been a two minute squash, maybe prolonged with a run-in by the Outsiders but Sting would fight them off.

I thought they could have done an overbooked match where Hollywood pulls every nWo trick in the book in one match.

- Sting gets attacked before getting in the ring
- Multiple run-ins
- Hogan uses weapons
- Nick Patrick is in the nWo pockets
- WCW guy turns and attacks Sting

And none of it works. Sting either kicks out or fights back.

I also would have liked to see someone turn on the nWo, Savage being the perfect guy. For those who watched the Anatomy videos, Savage at one point was a "Free Agent" like Sting, following the Stinger around. It would be interesting if he was actually a mole for WCW and Sting and purposely joined the New World Order just to stab them in the back.

Again, it's pure overbooking but that's to be expected really. You still could have moved Hogan out of the main event to instead feud with Savage, Bret and DDP in 1998 while Sting can face Hall, Nash and maybe Bret while the nWo is in shambles trying to find stability. You could have Sting be Champ until the Summer when the nWo finally gets their poo poo together and Hogan or Nash win the title. Only for Goldberg to win WW3 and beat one at Starrcade.

gently caress, this is in fantasy booking territory. Just saying, it didn't have to be a two minute match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

I thought they could have done an overbooked match where Hollywood pulls every nWo trick in the book in one match.

- Multiple run-ins
- Hogan uses weapons

I also would have liked to see someone turn on the nWo, Savage being the perfect guy. For those who watched the Anatomy videos, Savage at one point was a "Free Agent" like Sting, following the Stinger around. It would be interesting if he was actually a mole for WCW and Sting and purposely joined the New World Order just to stab them in the back.

Again, it's pure overbooking but that's to be expected really. You still could have moved Hogan out of the main event to instead feud with Savage, Bret and DDP in 1998 while Sting can face Hall, Nash and maybe Bret while the nWo is in shambles trying to find stability. You could have Sting be Champ until the Summer when the nWo finally gets their poo poo together and Hogan or Nash win the title. Only for Goldberg to win WW3 and beat one at Starrcade.

gently caress, this is in fantasy booking territory. Just saying, it didn't have to be a two minute match.

They should have just done what WWF did with Rock v. The McMahons where they kept trying to screw him, only for Rocky to keep coming through. That would have ruled.

Hell, instead of Stone Cold coming out, you could have had Bret Hart coming out and helping Sting fight off the nWo.

Oh jesus, I'm fantasy booking. :negative:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

- Multiple run-ins
- Hogan uses weapons

This is pretty much how Cena gets booked today and we all hate it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

This is pretty much how Cena gets booked today and we all hate it.

Because it is overdone.

You have to understand the pain WCW fans went through due to the nWo making every single finish crooked. They wanted a hero. They wanted someone who would be able to nullify every single thing the nWo would throw at them.

This is what originally made them believe in Sting. He walked into Fall Brawl, beat up the nWo single handedly and then walked out. If Cena overcame the odds because the odds were actually stacked against him for a while (like Austin would), it wouldn't be so bad.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

Because it is overdone.

You have to understand the pain WCW fans went through due to the nWo making every single finish crooked. They wanted a hero. They wanted someone who would be able to nullify every single thing the nWo would throw at them.

Oh I understand that. I watched WCW a lot during this period, and it's pretty shameful how they gave the audience nothing to cheer for. It's just weird seeing someone here suggest that kind of booking, given PSP's general opinion of how Cena and HHH are booked.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They're really rather different situations, but I kind of agree with you, it's way too 'Superman-booking'.

The right way to do that, is to have the nWo pull some of their usual bullshit, and Sting keeps fighting it off until it's just too much for him. Then you have Bret Hart run out and make the save, the entire nWo pours out to help Hogan. All looks lost until WCW (Luger, DDP, Giant and a few others) rally around Sting. Patrick ends up getting accidentally knocked out after he's made it clear that he's in Hogans pocket. The nWo and WCW fight each other to the back, clearing ringside, and a legit ref comes out to call a clean 1-on-1 finish where Sting goes over cleanly and decisively.

I'm so sorry for doing that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Q_res posted:

They're really rather different situations, but I kind of agree with you, it's way too 'Superman-booking'.

The right way to do that, is to have the nWo pull some of their usual bullshit, and Sting keeps fighting it off until it's just too much for him. Then you have Bret Hart run out and make the save, the entire nWo pours out to help Hogan. All looks lost until WCW (Luger, DDP, Giant and a few others) rally around Sting. Patrick ends up getting accidentally knocked out after he's made it clear that he's in Hogans pocket. The nWo and WCW fight each other to the back, clearing ringside, and a legit ref comes out to call a clean 1-on-1 finish where Sting goes over cleanly and decisively.

I'm so sorry for doing that...

How does this make Hogan look good and everyone else bad?