Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

rotor posted:

eliviraaaaaa iiiinnn spaaaaaaaaaaaace

more like Stella the Manyunk maneater in space, but I won't sperg about horror hosts.

EDIT:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

eliviraaaaaa iiiinnn spaaaaaaaaaaaace

i'd watch that movie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'd watch that movie

i'd watch a 2 hour long movie that was nothing more than a long slow pan up elviras body

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

rotor posted:

i'd watch a 2 hour long movie that was nothing more than a long slow pan up elviras body

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Cassandra Peterson is still hot but shes a pretty different kind of hot now but i mean that in the best ways

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah she's like million, i mean like the sexy elvira from the 70s/80s

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

graph posted:

how is this thread still going

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

LP97S posted:

more like Stella the Manyunk maneater in space, but I won't sperg about horror hosts.

EDIT:

quoted for ban

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
mods?

MODS?!?!

M O D S ! ! !

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

graph posted:

how is this thread still going

honoring the memory of johndis

*pours out a 40 in zero gravity*
*shorts out life support systems*

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

actually, i think it's just inertia

and this:

FEMA summer camp posted:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FEMA summer camp posted:

nerd blackface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

maniacdevnull posted:

nerd blackface

i'll take "a fun weekend" for $200, alex

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll take "a fun weekend" for $200, alex

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

yeah she's like million, i mean like the sexy elvira from the 70s/80s

you've seen the nudies right?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
each time someone asks how this thread still exists it further strengthens my resolve to post about star trek from time to time

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I think its just graph who keeps asking it, what a weird guy

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
graph used to be really mad but couldn't keep it up because he's probably a fine chum irl

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

LP97S posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that the idea of a sniper scope on a rifle in Star Trek is just loving absurd?

All of this super amazing technology involving sensor arrays and levitation technology and forcefields, and this assassin is still using loving optics and hand-stabilizing his weapon.

Is there some bullshit technobabble justification for this? I'm pretty sure I skipped that movie so I have no idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that the idea of a sniper scope on a rifle in Star Trek is just loving absurd?

All of this super amazing technology involving sensor arrays and levitation technology and forcefields, and this assassin is still using loving optics and hand-stabilizing his weapon.

Is there some bullshit technobabble justification for this? I'm pretty sure I skipped that movie so I have no idea.

nobody in star trek understands weapons

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
remember that sniper rifle in the last season of ds9 that would transport a fired round through walls?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

ds9 had a gun that shot bullets and then teleported them into a target that you scoped using glasses that can see thru walls from one end of the station to the other.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

they used a sniper rifle because prop laziness

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if you gonna do that just teleport the base of the spine right out of their skull

cheapest prop too, glob of clear jello filled with flour and red streaks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah star trek is filled with tons of poo poo like that because the tech is universe breaking.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
a scattering baryon field present at most diplomatic events and aboard most starships and space stations prevents small hand weapons from attaining an automated lock-on, thus requiring visual guidance.

"But why not throw a camera on the gun and hook it up to a computer? Surely in the 24th century a computer onboard a phaser is powerful enough to do image interpretation."

a quadrant-wide accord specifically prohibits the use of "smart" weapons. this is why the cardassians were so reprehensible, they were willing to go against said accords and released a bunch of weapons like that, they even left some on the station

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
is this lazy? yes

but it's internally consistent i guess

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Kirk posted:

a scattering baryon field present at most diplomatic events and aboard most starships and space stations prevents small hand weapons from attaining an automated lock-on, thus requiring visual guidance.

"But why not throw a camera on the gun and hook it up to a computer? Surely in the 24th century a computer onboard a phaser is powerful enough to do image interpretation."

a quadrant-wide accord specifically prohibits the use of "smart" weapons. this is why the cardassians were so reprehensible, they were willing to go against said accords and released a bunch of weapons like that, they even left some on the station

There's that bullshit technobabble justification I was asking for. Thanks.

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
Btw, cities suck to live in cause you will never see things like this:
http://www.terrastro.com/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

oh yes, that's the stuff.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Kirk posted:

because they literally didnt see computers that small and powerful coming

even in ds9 i thought the prop guys were like "these pads as so unrealistic, you cant make something this thin even 300 years from now" and 10 years later everybody and his underage chinese brother are making them at pennies per unit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so what did they think was in the voice-controlled communicator pins

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

because they literally didnt see computers that small and powerful coming

even in ds9 i thought the prop guys were like "these pads as so unrealistic, you cant make something this thin even 300 years from now" and 10 years later everybody and his underage chinese brother are making them at pennies per unit

no its because paper thin pads don't make for good props that are visually interesting you loving ponce

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

haveblue posted:

a link back to the room-filing computer on board the ship

i think they stopped working if you lost the link to the ship due to interference/tachyons/ferengi. you couldnt even do point-to-point comm to other away party members without the ship in the loop

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

Dumb radio microphones hooked up to a giant ship-bound computer with lots of blinking lights and probably some sort of tape drive.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Kirk posted:

no its because paper thin pads don't make for good props that are visually interesting you loving ponce

space tampax

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

haveblue posted:

magic duh

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

a link back to the room-filing computer on board the ship

i think they stopped working if you lost the link to the ship due to interference/tachyons/ferengi. you couldnt even do point-to-point comm to other away party members without the ship in the loop

so just like siri in airplane mode

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you've seen the nudies right?

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

Dumb radio microphones hooked up to a giant ship-bound computer with lots of blinking lights and probably some sort of tape drive.

the computers are made of bio neural gel packs

i think theyre spread all over the ship and take up a lot of mass and space

and sometimes they burn out and have to be replaced, or they get infected with space diseases

• Locked thread