Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why in gently caress's name would you take press photos for that car with an automatic transmission? If they can overlook something so blindly obvious, how I can trust them with making the rest of the car not a piece of poo poo?

This applies to all carmakers: if you're going to market it as sporty, and it's not something like a Lamborghini that can shift through all gears faster than I can blink, you must take a picture of a standard transmission model. Especially considering that any detail shown of an automatic transmission is essentially meaningless to its overall operation, but the placement and nature of a stick can make a huge difference in the driving experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Calm down there big guy they're not marketing it as sporty at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Calm down there big guy they're not marketing it as sporty at all.

....fair point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

....fair point.

They're not even offering a manual on the 2.0 and the Hybrid as far as I can tell, which will make up the lion's share of sales.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the 2.4 version exists. This is going to be a good car for Acura Canada if it's at the right price point to replace the CSX but I am not sold on it as a viable TSX replacement. I don't think Acura has done a good job rationalizing their product lineup. Too much bleed-through on sizes and I don't see a direction for the brand. Do they want to out-tech everyone on the planet? They were going that way for a while, but this doesn't seem to fit with that strategy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
PT6A never use to post in AI before he bought that 2012 Mustang. Now he's turned into some kind of manual transmission Sonderkommando.

I'm hoping the Buick Verano turbo will undercut it a bit in price when it comes out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think possibly even a majority of Americans can find a car sporty without thinking about what trans it's got.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

PT6A never use to post in AI before he bought that 2012 Mustang. Now he's turned into some kind of manual transmission Sonderkommando.

I'm hoping the Buick Verano turbo will undercut it a bit in price when it comes out.

It's a 2011, and I did post before, just not as often.

And, yes, I'm totally a manual-transmission convert.

EDIT: Although there was indeed a three-year gap where I was going to university and did not have a car, so I probably posted in AI very, very infrequently.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

It's going to be made and the TSX is being killed off? Also it's a Civic and the TSX is an Accord.

I did not know the TSX was getting clipped.

I did know the TSX was the EuroAccord and almost the same as the American Accord but not quite and then they brought the Wagon version over finally which would be cool if it was cheaper and AWD but no it's a $35k FWD wagon. So the ISX will be a EuroCivic but really an American Civic 1.5 but none will be available with a manual transmission as those are for poors. Got it.
:psyduck:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Keyser S0ze posted:

I did not know the TSX was getting clipped.

I did know the TSX was the EuroAccord and almost the same as the American Accord but not quite and then they brought the Wagon version over finally which would be cool if it was cheaper and AWD but no it's a $35k FWD wagon. So the ISX will be a EuroCivic but really an American Civic 1.5 but none will be available with a manual transmission as those are for poors. Got it.
:psyduck:

The TSX wagon has a 2.4l I4, why does it need AWD? This "I would totally buy [car] if only it was a WRX and cheaper" thing is getting boring. No one actually thinks like that and even if they did make an AWD version it's not going to be cheaper than a WRX so you'll never buy it anyway. There is no vast unfulfilled demand for AWD versions of everything. Is it just because Audi and Subaru are insidiously good at internet car forum marketing?

The ILX is not a European Civic, the European Civic is actually a smaller, cheaper, car without IRS and worse than the North American one in every way. Also the 2.4l will have a manual like I said in the first post, maybe the 2.0l will too but I didn't read it that closely because who cares it has 150hp and is a "luxury car".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The TSX wagon has a 2.4l I4, why does it need AWD? This "I would totally buy [car] if only it was a WRX and cheaper" thing is getting boring. No one actually thinks like that and even if they did make an AWD version it's not going to be cheaper than a WRX so you'll never buy it anyway. There is no vast unfulfilled demand for AWD versions of everything. Is it just because Audi and Subaru are insidiously good at internet car forum marketing?

At least in Canada, it's because AWD is somewhat helpful during the winter and people have been convinced they need it for safety. I don't know why you'd want it if you were in a place that rarely or never sees snow.

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001

PT6A posted:

Why in gently caress's name would you take press photos for that car with an automatic transmission? If they can overlook something so blindly obvious, how I can trust them with making the rest of the car not a piece of poo poo?

They did take press photos of a manual.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

gently caress the ILX. gently caress Honda/Acura. I bought a 2004 6MT TSX in 2006 and it's loving awesome. Every car they've released since killing off the 1st gen TSX in 2008 and killing off the S2k has been a succession of big, steaming shits down the throats of car enthusiasts. Honda/Acura was once a brand that had heart and soul and made both practical/economical cars and cars with some performance spirit and now it's just slapping a hideous grille and their standard V6 and an automatic into every ugly douchebag people mover they come up with.

I miss the good days. Get bent, Honda.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

gently caress the ILX. gently caress Honda/Acura. I bought a 2004 6MT TSX in 2006 and it's loving awesome. Every car they've released since killing off the 1st gen TSX in 2008 and killing off the S2k has been a succession of big, steaming shits down the throats of car enthusiasts. Honda/Acura was once a brand that had heart and soul and made both practical/economical cars and cars with some performance spirit and now it's just slapping a hideous grille and their standard V6 and an automatic into every ugly douchebag people mover they come up with.

Considering a 3G TL or TL-S for my next vehicle purchase. So hot.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Those both rule. Then they put out the monstrous car-boat 4G TL, made the TSX the size of the 3G TL, and allegedly still sell an RL even though I never see any. The TSX has to go because it's not distinguishable enough from the TL. It's a shame the ILX is the best we'll get.

PS if Acura would put a 6MT and the V6 in the current TSX wagon I would buy the loving balls out of one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress it if Acura put a 6MT with the 4-cyl in the TSX I'd look pretty close.

I actually saw an RL the other day and had to go wander over for a closer look because I couldn't ID it and I can ID pretty much any car on the road built in the last 30 years.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

rscott posted:

That 3/4 front render looks awful. Everything else is kind of nice though so maybe it's just perspective?

Late, but it looks like it's a parallel projection rather than an actual perspective as we'd see it, which is why it looks odd (I think)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress it if Acura put a 6MT with the 4-cyl in the TSX I'd look pretty close.

I actually saw an RL the other day and had to go wander over for a closer look because I couldn't ID it and I can ID pretty much any car on the road built in the last 30 years.

You can get the TSX with the 2.4 and a 6MT. You just can't get a 6MT wagon, if that's what you meant.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wamsutta posted:

But the ILX has a 2.4l and a manual trans? So why do you hate it so much?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

You can get the TSX with the 2.4 and a 6MT. You just can't get a 6MT wagon, if that's what you meant.

Yea, the TSX has a 6MT.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

xxn1927 posted:

That poo poo interior (plus the exterior) looks like poo poo.

3 years ago, Honda had the world by the short hairs with the new civic (which is now the one generation ago civic) and its like they've taken all that good will and positivity and blown it all away.

/stupid rant

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Wasn't the scuttlebutt with Honda that the new Civic and CRV were being redesigned when the economy went down the shitter. Than they decided to hang onto their cash rather than spend money on products that they knew people would buy regardless of bad press.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But now they're re designing the new Civic because of all the bad press, so I guess that plan didn't work out for them. I'm kinda surprised that Toyota is pulling ahead of Honda in terms of giving a poo poo about enthusiasts. Never saw that coming.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The plan worked out fine for them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

xxn1927 posted:

They did take press photos of a manual.

I'm confused why PT6A said you have to show press photos of the manual because of the position of the stick. Is it not in the same place the auto is?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I was at the Chicago Auto Show Sunday and I was curious if it was wrong to be slightly in love with the new Dodge Dart and the Nissan Juke...my truck has been guzzling nearly 400 dollars a month in gas alone and I think its time to change into something smaller and functional.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was at the Chicago Auto Show Sunday and I was curious if it was wrong to be slightly in love with the new Dodge Dart and the Nissan Juke...my truck has been guzzling nearly 400 dollars a month in gas alone and I think its time to change into something smaller and functional.

I don't think the Juke is particularly good on gas, but I enjoyed test-driving it.

The high-tier Dart looks cool too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

davebo posted:

I'm confused why PT6A said you have to show press photos of the manual because of the position of the stick. Is it not in the same place the auto is?

In this case, it appears so. But this is not true in all cases, and it's nice to see the angle and length of the shifter too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sliderule posted:

The plan worked out fine for them.

If it worked out so well why are they going back to the drawing board?

Apparently Canada's blind loyalty isn't enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PT6A posted:

But this is not true in all cases, and it's nice to see the angle and length of the shifter too.

I think the girth of the knob is a big deal.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

But the ILX has a 2.4l and a manual trans? So why do you hate it so much?

If they get the 2.4 6MT right (interior fit and finish, weight, etc) that might be the only thing I've liked from Honda in years. I'm just worried it's going to feel exactly like the re-skinned Civic it is.

As an aside, they managed to get the Sportwagon so very right that I might end up owning an AT to get one soon. Reminds me of the IS300 SportCross, which I loved when it came out. Minus the whole FWD bit, anyway.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

PT6A posted:

In this case, it appears so. But this is not true in all cases, and it's nice to see the angle and length of the shifter too.

kimbo305 posted:

I think the girth of the knob is a big deal.

Whoa hey now, it's not about the size of the shifter, it's how you use it. That Acura shifter may look small and feel awkward in your hand but everyone knows that the action of the box is excellent. It's tight, slick, and communicative.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can basically consider the ILX 2.4 a Civic Si Sedan with more sound deadening and weight. The Civic Si Sedan is EPA rated at 22/31.

The TSX is 21/29 with the manual - I don't see why this smaller new model should be worse around town.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I was just saying that if they want to charge $35k for the car, at least toss in an AWD drive option at that price so it would be more competitive in whatever market segment it was trying to compete in. Price the FWD version at $32k. Do people need AWD? Most often NO, but they WANT it in a lot of cases.

I also think SOME of the consumer "demand" for AWD is in response to people just being sick as hell of FWD cars, especially as the HP creeps up to 300HP in some of these beasts.

I'll stick to my RWD BMW regardless.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I also think SOME of the consumer "demand" for AWD is in response to people just being sick as hell of FWD cars, especially as the HP creeps up to 300HP in some of these beasts.

Basic Honda AWD doesn't feel any different to FWD anyway - most of the time its just more weight.

Almost every Honda model is available in AWD in Japan though, even the old Integra

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BabyMauler posted:

Wasn't the scuttlebutt with Honda that the new Civic and CRV were being redesigned when the economy went down the shitter. Than they decided to hang onto their cash rather than spend money on products that they knew people would buy regardless of bad press.

No.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

So what we have here is the Audi RS4 Avant. It features 444hp that peaks at 8250rpm, quattro AWD, 7-speed DSG. It will not be coming to America.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Did the info about the new 2.3 turbo going into the Focus RS and (SVO) Mustang get posted already? I really loved the old SVO's, although I wouldn't expect Ford to recreate that experience again. The Focus version sounds terrific.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-information-2012-02-13

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

http://media.opel.com/media/intl/en/opel/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/intl/en/2012/opel/02_14_opel_insignia_biturbo

So the Opel Insignia (Buick Regal) is getting a new powertrain - 4 cylinder diesel with sequential twin turbos blowing through both air to air and air to liquid intercoolers. The boost will be ALL psi at ALL RPM. Also 48 mpg.

Of course you can have it with a choice 6 speed manual or auto, FWD or AWD, sedan or wagon.

Hey guys maybe GM will bring it over herahahahaAHAHAHA

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 15, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
quote!=edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Also 48 mpg.

In the same way the 1.4 petrol gets '41 mpg'. Those European tests are a lot more optimistic than US ones.