Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toby
Dec 4, 2002

rotor posted:

I think we've all been there, am I right here fellas?

set phasers to "way too many drinks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

nacelles also house ramscoops used to pickup stray hydrogen which is the primary form of matter used in the core

extreme couponers have gone way way way too far

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i remember one of those was actually a p good episode

voyager landed on a planet with metallic stuff that would clone whatever showed up. they flew off and never thought it of it again

then like a season and a half later theres this new voyager thats way further along that did all this awesome stuff. turns out the planet cloned the whole ship, but its better in most every way.

except they start breaking apart b/c warp is bad and fucks up the magic goo they're made of. they figure it out that theyre actually metal goo people in a metal goo ship and decide to try to at least get their records to the original voyager (who's tremendously far behind them lol), but on the way they sort of fall apart and dont make it.

isn't this the one where ensign kim has to kill himself or watches himself die somehow?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the Enterprise computer system badly need properly implemented root access limitations. the id check can be beaten with a sound recorder, and handprint checks are only used for the self-destruct sequence.

when that lady who hated the crystalline entity, she could just put a password on her destructo-beam and there was no way for Laforge to just sudo in and turn it off.

literally Linux manages permissions better than the Enterprise.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

yeah but even geordi had sex once I think so it evens out

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

toby posted:

set phasers to "way too many drinks"

I went up to an adenoidal kid who looked like a shipment of pork sausage with eyes to ask where to find the press booth.

All that would come out of my mouth was, "You know where I can get a drink?"

"Arkty bobblewonk. Haj," he said. I swear it. There was a glitter of wanton idiocy on his gold-rims.

I think he realized that I was incapable of speech.

"It's Klingon," he said complacently. "You ought to learn it."

"Do you know where I can find a whole lot of drinks?"

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

If you look closely at Dax's swimsuit you can see the Speedo logo on her right hip. It could be that Speedo is still making swimwear in the 24th century.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

the Enterprise computer system badly need properly implemented root access limitations. the id check can be beaten with a sound recorder, and handprint checks are only used for the self-destruct sequence.

when that lady who hated the crystalline entity, she could just put a password on her destructo-beam and there was no way for Laforge to just sudo in and turn it off.

nah, they had to root the ship to install cyanogenmod 832 [corium edition] [XMAXX Space-WiFi] and, welp,

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Panic! At The cisco posted:

If you look closely at Dax's swimsuit

heh, "if"

toby
Dec 4, 2002

that awful man posted:

I went up to an adenoidal kid who looked like a shipment of pork sausage with eyes to ask where to find the press booth.

All that would come out of my mouth was, "You know where I can get a drink?"

"Arkty bobblewonk. Haj," he said. I swear it. There was a glitter of wanton idiocy on his gold-rims.

I think he realized that I was incapable of speech.

"It's Klingon," he said complacently. "You ought to learn it."

"Do you know where I can find a whole lot of drinks?"

that's funny but that dude desperately wants to be hunter s thompson

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

what kind of dude do you think signs up to be a klingon at the star trek thing in vegas? i mean that is serious, yo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
reading century rain now, liking it so far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
finished dick's ubik. scary and depressing

next up: electric sheep

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

haveblue posted:

finished dick's ubik. scary and depressing

next up: electric sheep

owns

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
are there any sfi-fi about the dangers of early-tech bionic limbs

like dudes getting super strong arms put in that then tear out of the body because they try and lift a truck and the rest of their torso isn't strengthened or their knees explode or w/e

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

toby posted:

that's funny but that dude desperately wants to be hunter s thompson

uh

anyone who doesnt wish they were hunter s thompson cant be my friend

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
well that kind of happens in the ghost in the shell movie

e: that's in reply to barons

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
also the cult of the machine where people are all "why would I want a weak, flesh body when I could have the prefection of the machine" and getting in "accients" so they can have limbs and organs replaced

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i wish i was a better writer so i could write this as an e-book and sell it on the internets.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

uh

anyone who doesnt wish they were hunter s thompson cant be my friend

yes but putting on what is basically a hunter s thompson costume and trying to write like him is maybe a little much

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

SATURNS SON EATER posted:

like dudes getting super strong arms put in that then tear out of the body because they try and lift a truck and the rest of their torso isn't strengthened or their knees explode or w/e

yes, Frederik Pohl's 1976 novel Man Plus.

it's a classic. the story is that they're sending a manned expedition to Mars, and one of the astronauts is assigned to have all kinds of augmentations to be able to walk around without a spacesuit. of course he becomes less and less humans as they start taking pieces away.

read it!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
1976 what am I, rotor?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Ridgely_Fan posted:

i remember one of those was actually a p good episode

voyager landed on a planet with metallic stuff that would clone whatever showed up. they flew off and never thought it of it again

then like a season and a half later theres this new voyager thats way further along that did all this awesome stuff. turns out the planet cloned the whole ship, but its better in most every way.

except they start breaking apart b/c warp is bad and fucks up the magic goo they're made of. they figure it out that theyre actually metal goo people in a metal goo ship and decide to try to at least get their records to the original voyager (who's tremendously far behind them lol), but on the way they sort of fall apart and dont make it.

i remember this and it was p good. shame about the episode that spawned it because it was a loving dog

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
futurama did it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So the first thing you'll want to do when you get your machine limbs is try to lift something huge. Oh no! That bus is falling off a cliff! Better go catch it!

You jump up and catch the underside on your hands. Great job! But, instead of the relieved cries of little Johnny and Mary as they're saved from falling to fiery doom, you hear screams of agony as your metal hands rip through the undercarriage, up through the aisle, your arms and torso now bloodied like some B-grade zombie. It's not your blood; you just impaled little Johnny from crotch to sternum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

and getting in "accients" so they can have limbs and organs replaced

there's a larry niven story about how the perfection of transplants will result in every crime down to traffic violations being labeled a capital offense and the state takes your organs

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so, China?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah but if they were designed properly you could have a backup core or two on board to replace it.

also in federation space there are probably plenty of nearby places that could bring u out a core.

it'd be cool to have a star track show about repair dudes. like the dudes that have to go do EVAs to patch up ships, and like space tugboat pilots.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

So the first thing you'll want to do when you get your machine limbs is try to lift something huge. Oh no! That bus is falling off a cliff! Better go catch it!

You jump up and catch the underside on your hands. Great job! But, instead of the relieved cries of little Johnny and Mary as they're saved from falling to fiery doom, you hear screams of agony as your metal hands rip through the undercarriage, up through the aisle, your arms and torso now bloodied like some B-grade zombie. It's not your blood; you just impaled little Johnny from crotch to sternum.

When finding yourself imbued with super-strength, always remember to catch a falling vehicle gently by its frame to avoid murdering the occupants

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

wouldn't you just rip your robot limb right off your body? or break your robot legs at the knees or hips

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

yes, Frederik Pohl's 1976 novel Man Plus.

it's a classic. the story is that they're sending a manned expedition to Mars, and one of the astronauts is assigned to have all kinds of augmentations to be able to walk around without a spacesuit. of course he becomes less and less humans as they start taking pieces away.

read it!
when the cyborg guy finally goes to mars, he goes with two ordinary humans who never seem to have any problem living on the planet. however on two separate occasions the cyborg malfunctions and nearly kills them. i sort of wondered what the point was of having a cyborg.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have always wondered the exactly same thing about comic book characters who are super strong but not also super durable (like spiderman)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

toby posted:

When finding yourself imbued with super-strength, always remember to catch a falling vehicle gently by its frame to avoid murdering the occupants

You're still pushing all your strength + all the weight of the falling thing against a very small area (your fingers/hands) and would just punch straight through it.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
have fun on the robot reservation, suckers! w're not gonna honor those bogus treaties!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You're still pushing all your strength + all the weight of the falling thing against a very small area (your fingers/hands) and would just punch straight through it.

Unless you're Superman, in which case you have really lovely telekinetic powers that let you grab the whole thing simultaneously.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Not the engineering bits, no, since it's pretty loving obvious to actual doctors and engineers that this would happen.

But "More Than The Sum Of His Parts" by Haldeman is a pretty good piece along these lines from a different point of view.

[Edit]

also the cult of the machine where people are all "why would I want a weak, flesh body when I could have the prefection of the machine" and getting in "accients" so they can have limbs and organs replaced

Yeah, the Haldeman story is what you want.

[more edit]

Turns out that somebody's put it online here.

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 22, 2012

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

toby posted:

yeah i made this mistake once, boy was my face red (with blood (of the passengers of the little bus (i killed a bunch of reatrded children)))

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
the lesson is that if you go robot go full robot.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it'd be cool to have a star track show about repair dudes. like the dudes that have to go do EVAs to patch up ships, and like space tugboat pilots.

a lot of shows did this

one of the best babylon 5 episodes ever followed two repair dudes just talkin' about their lives and fixing poo poo while the station was under some horrible generic attack. the main characters are shown in the backgrounds doing whatever they'd be doing and the two mooks are the center of attention the whole time. at one point they are directly addressed by one of the main female cast members for their service, and the other ones kind of roll their eyes and mutter something about "why bother talking to them?!" but the mooks are extremely happy to be noticed.

stargate did this with the three nerdy scientists a few times, and even did a whole episode on one of them being a hero.

pretty sure i also saw an episode of tng or ds9 where they did it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tng had lower decks which was about junior officers or w/e. idr if ds9 had one

• Locked thread