Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Hopefully the Vita will crater and they'll just put it up on the PSN for PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Marogareh posted:

I just want a Persona game with a cast over 20 again. But alas teenagers saving the world is a religion in Japan.

I could see them doing a college thing, with a cast between 18 and 24.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Dehry posted:

I'm wondering if P4: The Golden will even come out for the US. If the Vita sales are as low here as in Japan, there may not be much of a market for it. I'd love to see Persona on the 3DS, but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Also, the P4 Arena US localization could put the console story on one system while putting the arcade story on the other.

P4 Golden is going to be a big system seller. No way it won't come out over here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh, would'ja look at that! P4 The Golden coming to Japan on June 14th

Vita's Summer of JRPG is heating up! Now uh, Atlus could you announce this for overseas release? Doing it at E3 would be cool I guess.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Oh, would'ja look at that! P4 The Golden coming to Japan on June 14th

Vita's Summer of JRPG is heating up! Now uh, Atlus could you announce this for overseas release? Doing it at E3 would be cool I guess.

I want that Famitsu DX Pack!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Does Atlus USA even go to E3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ARE YOU READY TO GARDEN!?

Gardening coming to Persona 4 The Golden

Looking for scans right now~

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Gonna spend all my time gardening. gently caress friendship and finding my true self. Gotta make sure these tomatoes come in okay.

Not leveling up social links unless they stop by to garden. :colbert:

Meowjesty fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 22, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I FACE OUT

I HOLD OUT

I REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH

SEEKING TO SEIZE ON THE WHOLE MOMENT

More scooters, y'all! It also seems that we can now grow the crops to bring into battle as healing items.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yukiko looks so gosh darned happy on that scooter. :3:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So um, I bought persona 4 a few months ago,I've been gradually playing it through and I'm at the true ending, problem is THE DUNGEON IS SO loving HARD. Anyone have any tips to get through it?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I see Nanako building a snowman with her Big Brother.

Not enough words for the adorable. :3:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kimitsu posted:

I see Nanako building a snowman with her Big Brother.

Not enough words for the adorable. :3:

I might buy the game for that scene alone, not gonna lie. That looks adorable as gently caress. :3:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh god this game is going to force me to buy a Vita, isn't it? It's perilous to resist Nanako building a snowman...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not going to lie, I have no plans to get a Vita until the price for the system or the memory cards drop, but I might just buy this game at launch so I'm guaranteed to have it when I do. Nanako is seriously the best Video Game Child™. :3:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hopefully the snowman will have Jack Frost's face. Also, I'm hoping you'll be able to cook for Nanako. :colbert:

They're sure adding a lot of stuff, huh? I'm very impressed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
HOLY poo poo, that uber Rokuten Maoh.

poo poo I hope I get that job, gonna buy a vita the day this comes out.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Hopefully Square Enix picks it up for publishing in Europe like they did with P4. Persona is much more mainstream than Catherine so it shouldn't be as hard to find a publisher. :colbert:
Question. Is the Vita region locked? Then I guess I could just import it then if were going to have to wait a year for it... Being European sucks :saddowns:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dastardly posted:

Hopefully Square Enix picks it up for publishing in Europe like they did with P4. Persona is much more mainstream than Catherine so it shouldn't be as hard to find a publisher. :colbert:
Question. Is the Vita region locked? Then I guess I could just import it then if were going to have to wait a year for it... Being European sucks :saddowns:

The cartridges are not locked, so you can import that way if you can find a copy for cheap.
Using the online store requires you to remove the vita from your authorized devices, factory restore the vita, then login with the credentials from that region's store and another memory card.

Edit: IGN video showing the steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWsKE6tStQ

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
My time with Rune Factory Frontier leads me to believe that this is a dangerous development.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

My time with Rune Factory Frontier leads me to believe that this is a dangerous development.

...Atlus, I need to be able to use my personas to manage my farm garden while I'm out dungeon crawling. :catstare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Haha oh man I need a Vita when this comes out

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

P4 Golden is going to be a big system seller.

No it's not, you are ridiculously reaching here.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 22, 2012

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I really don't intend to come across as trolling here but what exactly is it about Persona 4 Golden which has you guys all excited? All I see so far is a new character that doesn't seem to contribute much, bunch of pointless gimmicks that don't add much to the overall game or even make sense and more wacky anime stuff that didn't seem particularly amusing in the main game in the first place.

I just don't really get it. Mopeds, a Demon's Souls style messaging system in dungeons that never really needed it to begin with and gardening were the last things on my mind when I think of what could be added to improve Persona 4. What I thought could be improved was the shoddy storytelling, the annoying characters and that S.Link with the fox, things which got in the way of an otherwise fun game. I was hoping the port would have fixed some of that or at the very least, added a whole new route throughout the game.

Instead we're getting... things I never even considered and seem kind of pointless to me personally.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I really don't intend to come across as trolling here but what exactly is it about Persona 4 Golden which has you guys all excited? All I see so far is a new character that doesn't seem to contribute much, bunch of pointless gimmicks that don't add much to the overall game or even make sense and more wacky anime stuff that didn't seem particularly amusing in the main game in the first place.

I just don't really get it. Mopeds, a Demon's Souls style messaging system in dungeons that never really needed it to begin with and gardening were the last things on my mind when I think of what could be added to improve Persona 4. What I thought could be improved was the shoddy storytelling, the annoying characters and that S.Link with the fox, things which got in the way of an otherwise fun game. I was hoping the port would have fixed some of that or at the very least, added a whole new route throughout the game.

Instead we're getting... things I never even considered and seem kind of pointless to me personally.

Well, these sort of things don't get changed in ports anyway. So hoping for those would be pretty pointless, regardless of whether or not you like the other additions.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
So I've picked up a vita today. Being completely new to the series, would it be worth me purchasing the P2IS/P3P bundle on EU PSN? My friends raved about how much they enjoyed P3P, but I know very little about Persona 2. I have absolutely no issue with dungeon crawlers if that is a sticking point, I played a lot of Etrian Odyssey when I had my DS.

Given that it costs only about £12 more for the bundle on PSN than it would just to buy P3P alone it seems the better purchase, but I'd appreciate input from somebody with better knowledge of the games in question.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It would be pretty badass if they copied The Ripper and randomized who the killer was at the start of the game from among four suspects.

But yeah I'll buy this game anyway since I'm an idiot but none of this stuff sounds like it's going to matter much when the overall game will be the same.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

X_ThePerfect posted:

So I've picked up a vita today. Being completely new to the series, would it be worth me purchasing the P2IS/P3P bundle on EU PSN? My friends raved about how much they enjoyed P3P, but I know very little about Persona 2. I have absolutely no issue with dungeon crawlers if that is a sticking point, I played a lot of Etrian Odyssey when I had my DS.

Given that it costs only about £12 more for the bundle on PSN than it would just to buy P3P alone it seems the better purchase, but I'd appreciate input from somebody with better knowledge of the games in question.
Persona 2 is slightly clunky and outdated (but still leaps and bounds better than Persona 1), but the story, characters, music, and overall presentation more thank make up for it all. P2 remains my favorite SMT title, and I don't think that's rose tinted nostalgia because I played Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment for the first time only a couple of years ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My problems with the PSP version of P2 is that they created big load times and didn't increase the amount of voice acting when honestly people kind of expect that sort of thing now.

In addition the Climax Theater was gutted for the US release since I assume they didn't want to support it but then they left the skeleton of it in unchanged. It's confusing when they talk about levels and upgrading your account with the two stock scenarios. Honestly it probably should have been removed entirely since it screws up the leveling progression of the main game and what made it interesting is just not there.

Otherwise the two P2 games I think are my favorite overall so it's definitely worth picking up but just come in with the knowledge you are playing a PSX game that hasn't been tinkered with much.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 22, 2012

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Well, these sort of things don't get changed in ports anyway. So hoping for those would be pretty pointless, regardless of whether or not you like the other additions.

I guess. I was hoping for something like Social Links between two different members of your party. It seems so much of Persona 4 is based around the protagonist but it'd be nice to see Yosuke become a respectable person instead of the homophobic annoying rear end in a top hat he is. And like Radish said, they could have altered the story so that the killer is different and you need to actually figure out who it is, instead of the killer's identity being handed to in a poorly written fashion.

I guess I am asking a bit too much, but compared to the additions and changes in Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden just seems kind of random and pointless to me.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the changes in P3P just added social links, it didn't actually change the story in any appreciable manner. (at least I don't think so)

Also what was wrong with the fox :colbert:

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 22, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

the changes in P3P just added social links, it didn't actually change the story in any appreciable manner. (at least I don't think so)

Also what was wrong with the fox :colbert:

The Female MC added enough of a second POV to give sort of a different feel and the added S. Links were welcome additions to break up the monotony of doing the same ones over and over, especially for characters who desperately needed it like Shinjiro. P4G should really just change a few of the S. Links or add some extra scenes that will actually have some effects on the character, but Atlus would rather add in arbitrary additions that don't really add to the game like gardening, silly special events and mopeds.

Also P3P fixed P3's gameplay, P4's gameplay for the most part is fine, so adding stuff like third level Persona for the other characters and a few new extra special attacks is fine in that aspect, I suppose.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I felt that girl main actually fit better than the male one. I got a better feeling of her being social to the other characters and people like Junpei weren't as annoying to her.

If they are going to go through the effort to add seasonal events, scooters, a new character and vacations to P4G i don't think it's that unreasonable to want them to clean up some of the story stuff. As discussed previously near the end when you catch Adachi the entire thing feels rushed and clunky. It also has Naoto taking control of your party since the game needs to start wrapping it up and I guess they couldn't think up a better way to focus the plot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The character of Naoto felt rushed, like she was added in at the last second to provide a direction toward the killer.

I do wish P4G had a female choice like P3P, kinda feels like they just don't wanna mess around with the game much to be honest.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess I am asking a bit too much, but compared to the additions and changes in Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden just seems kind of random and pointless to me.
iirc, P3P literally changed nothing about the base game other than the battle system, they piled all the new poo poo on the girl route. This is a much better idea than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, P3P literally changed nothing about the base game other than the battle system, they piled all the new poo poo on the girl route. This is a much better idea than that.

No, the base game has the Skill Cards and new stuff as well. The male character is limited to short swords too now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, the calendar date in one of the screenshots is January 2. There's a possibility that there's more plot now.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Alteisen posted:

The character of Naoto felt rushed, like she was added in at the last second to provide a direction toward the killer.

Well as posted above it seems like they're making the game longer. Could lead to some more character development.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

From the looks of things, The Golden is going to fill parts of the time skip so they could definitely flesh things out. From what I've read, the ski trip has a full dungeon going for it (that might be wrong though), so there must be some larger story additions in there somewhere. We'll probably see bigger things as we approach the game's release in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, the base game has the Skill Cards and new stuff as well. The male character is limited to short swords too now.

And they also added Ms. Kashiwagi to the Operation Babe Hunt scene of the male's side! :v: