Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Vargatron posted:

The Duke Nukem Forever of heavy metal.

Let's hope it's not as bad as Duke Nukem Forever eventually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I kept seeing posts about a bunch of metal people needing money for various medical treatments and procedures, so I complied a list. If you're feeling generous of have some extra $$ or some time to spread the word...

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/02/do-something-good.html

This is just some people I know who need $$ for different medical procedures (cancer, etc.). These are just links to places where you can donate.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Vargatron posted:

I really have a hard time believing that any power metal band takes themselves seriously. Sure, you can be proud of the musicality and complexity, but somewhere deep down in your mind, you realize that singing about dragons and elves is totally loving retarded loving awesome.

I know we would all like to believe that, and some guys obviously don't take it *too* seriously, but while I don't know any big-time musicians, I know a few small-time ones that managed to get a bit of local and small-market radio play back in the 80s, and a few that do small venues around Dallas currently, and a lot of them take themselves very seriously, to the point where it's almost psychotic. Cover bands for Neil Diamond, or New-Agey rock & roll, it didn't really matter, they were all egomaniacs convinced of their own genius.

These guys are not a metal band mind you, but for example, I know some people that were a part of This band from the 80s. Listen to/watch the video on that website. That band took themselves very seriously, despite being completely ridiculous and silly. They still treat their music like it's a job.

It's not hard for me to believe that some of those power-metal bands think they are God's gift to the planet earth and that their music is not a joke.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 23, 2012

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
I've heard that Sabaton is pretty big in Europe, have fans cruised through this thread?

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

lordblytzkrieg posted:

That's the difference. Alestorm know they're jokes and love it. Swashbuckle try to be serious and end up being the joke.

With Alestorm I think its the opposite, from everything I read they hate the pirate thing and are doing it anyway, haha.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ein posted:

I've heard that Sabaton is pretty big in Europe, have fans cruised through this thread?
I dunno if I'm quite a "fan", but I do like them a lot. I like the whole WWII schtick (and thus listen to them a lot while playing World of Tanks), their catchy-as-gently caress melodies and the vocalist. When you're singing about tanks and snipers and battleships and poo poo, it kinda helps to sound, you know, manly.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Ein posted:

I was a fan of their debut album, but then after that I just kind of lost track of the band.

Nordick posted:

I dunno if I'm quite a "fan", but I do like them a lot. I like the whole WWII schtick (and thus listen to them a lot while playing World of Tanks), their catchy-as-gently caress melodies and the vocalist. When you're singing about tanks and snipers and battleships and poo poo, it kinda helps to sound, you know, manly.

This is why I love the all-star death metal band Hail Of Bullets. It's just crushing and visceral death metal with sharp-as-hell melodic leads, plus you can't go wrong with Martin van Drunen on vocals rasp-growling about how 300,000 soldiers died at Stalingrad. The good news is that they are going to be writing a new album soon.

loam pup
Jun 27, 2009

go to bread ☃
the first time i saw pentagram word was going around that the american leg of the tour was slmost canceled after bobby was caught smoking crack on an airplane.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
Sabaton is poo poo, I just wanted to see if they had some fans around here. They have a fan-base that buys their records/concert ticks which makes them successful somewhere and nowhere at the same time? I don't get it.

Anyway crash-course on Sabaton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEBA-8dMYQ

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Turk February posted:

This is why I love the all-star death metal band Hail Of Bullets. It's just crushing and visceral death metal with sharp-as-hell melodic leads, plus you can't go wrong with Martin van Drunen on vocals rasp-growling about how 300,000 soldiers died at Stalingrad. The good news is that they are going to be writing a new album soon.

stole my reply, hail of bullets is basically grimdark sabaton and loving awesome

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Man, what happened to Ablazer? They released an awesome as gently caress demo a couple years back, and now just recently released a track from their new album and it bloooooooooooows.

I don't understand why you would change your band concept from Wintersun-lite to a really generic "core" sound.

Reminds me of what happened to Hibria who put out the best modern speed/NWOBHM album and then two albums of pure undiluted poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Reminds me of what happened to Hibria who put out the best modern speed/NWOBHM album and then two albums of pure undiluted poo poo.
Ohhh gently caress, do not loving remind me.
Well, except that while their debut is certainly better, I still quite like The Skull Collectors as well.
But the third album? loving bloody rear end, what a goddamn disgrace.

For those who are unfamiliar with the band, some comparison: here's the title track of the debut album. The guitars have this really awesome metallic sound, and despite Youtube quality muddling it up a bit, the bass guitar is still clearly distinguishable (a feature that is WAY too rare in modern metal music). Overall, it's just amazingly well done and kickass old-school power/speed metal.

Here's a track off the third album. Stupid modern downtuned chugga-chugga riffing, and just... gently caress it, I'm too depressed to continue.

Also, the debut album's cover has a metalhead dude loving swordfighting a ninja ON MOTORCYCLES, which is pretty much as loving dope as you can get. Blind Ride has like, some tracks or something, and some fire. loving yay.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Vargatron posted:

I really have a hard time believing that any power metal band takes themselves seriously.

Speaking of, here's Arjen Anthony Lucassen's (of Ayreon fame) new album cover:

I'm sorry if that's too big but a shrunken image wouldn't do it justice at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

loam pup posted:

the first time i saw pentagram word was going around that the american leg of the tour was slmost canceled after bobby was caught smoking crack on an airplane.

Yeah there's a clip from the documentary out there where Bobby's talking to the documentary guy and signs a "contract" stating that if he smoked crack again, the documentary guy could have his entire record collection. Then he had this look in his eyes like "oh poo poo, I'm about to lose my entire record collection."

It was legitimately :smith:-inducing.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

QPZIL posted:

Yeah there's a clip from the documentary out there where Bobby's talking to the documentary guy and signs a "contract" stating that if he smoked crack again, the documentary guy could have his entire record collection. Then he had this look in his eyes like "oh poo poo, I'm about to lose my entire record collection."

It was legitimately :smith:-inducing.

I know if I were hooked on crack that would get me to become sober immediately. My god, the horror... :ohdear:

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Nam Taf posted:

That is awesome I can't wait

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
how does doublepost

Bonnene
Sep 20, 2010

Nordick posted:

Hibria stuff
My friend just linked me some Hibria last week and I was loving blown away by that first album. It's the best thing I've heard in a long time. HE IS THE STEEL LORD ON WHEELS! Imagine my disappointment when I got to the third album. :(

Completely unrelated, my band Archdemon (melodic death) just released a small teaser clip to our upcoming full-length. Check it out if you feel like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RngOYNZ5A

I'm guitars/recording/production. If you like it stay tuned. :)

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Bonnene posted:

Completely unrelated, my band Archdemon (melodic death) just released a small teaser clip to our upcoming full-length. Check it out if you feel like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RngOYNZ5A

I'm guitars/recording/production. If you like it stay tuned. :)

Musically this sounds pretty good but the production is really off the mark unless youtube's audio processing majorly hosed things up. The low-end is incredibly muddy and the guitars sound over-compressed to the point where there's an audible "pumping" effect which renders some of the riffs unintelligible.

Bonnene
Sep 20, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

Musically this sounds pretty good but the production is really off the mark unless youtube's audio processing majorly hosed things up. The low-end is incredibly muddy and the guitars sound over-compressed to the point where there's an audible "pumping" effect which renders some of the riffs unintelligible.

Thanks for checking it out! Might be youtube + not so pro mix, I can hear it just fine listening to the audio file but might just be because I know how it's supposed to sound. :downs: Atleast I know I need to improve the low end.

Anyway it might sound better here: http://soundcloud.com/archdemon/archdemon-demon-in-disguise-promo

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Waiting for Rammstein to come on stage here in London, some band called Deathstars are playing and they are absolutely loving awful

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

henpod posted:

Waiting for Rammstein to come on stage here in London, some band called Deathstars are playing and they are absolutely loving awful

The guitarist/keyboardist is Jon Nödtveidt's brother (of Dissection fame). I heard one song, I think they did it as a tribute to Jon after he committed suicide, and it was horrible.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

henpod posted:

I really don't understand why Rammstein can't get better bands to open for them. Saving money for the elaborate sets maybe?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This quiz popped up on Facebook. I somehow only got half right.

Rick Santorum quote or Dave Mustaine lyric/quote
http://motherjones.com/media/2012/02/rick-santorum-heavy-metal-megadeth-quiz

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I'm actually kind of sad for Dave Mustaine that I got 80%.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I got 50%, too, but I'm really not sure if it's better to get more right or wrong. All I know is that Dave and Rick are very similar now. :smith:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Xombie posted:

I really don't understand why Rammstein can't get better bands to open for them. Saving money for the elaborate sets maybe?

Truth. Combichrist or whoever it was I saw open for them on the last tour were poo poo too.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

90%. I missed the lord of the rings one because I remembered that one song from the newish album

Oh Dave Mustaine :smith:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Nam Taf posted:

I'm sorry if that's too big but a shrunken image wouldn't do it justice at all.

Is this real?
It looks like one of those lovely fantasy novels in the "Sales" bin at a bookstore-.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Non Serviam posted:

Is this real?
It looks like one of those lovely fantasy novels in the "Sales" bin at a bookstore-.

It's awesome. Don't take it so seriously.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Non Serviam posted:

Is this real?

I thought that the "in STEREO" and "TECHNICOLOR" markings would be an indication that the look you're referring to is intentional, guess not? I think it's a pretty sweet album cover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've recently become interested in a somewhat obscure NWOBHM band called More, who released two albums at the start of the 1980s. This is the title track from their debut album, Warhead; musically, they weren't groundbreaking but they did possess a certain melodicism that I rather enjoy. I think there's a lot of Thin Lizzy and ZZ Top in their sound, though I'm sure somebody more musically astute could correct me.

One point of interest (at least for people who enjoy AOR, I suppose) is that Laurie Mansworth, who played lead guitar on More's first record, subsequently joined Airrace, a melodic hard rock band I'm quite keen on which featured Keith Murrell and Jason Bonham.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Double-post. Sorry about that.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 26, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

Is this real?

You're not familiar with AA Lucassen, are you?

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

henpod posted:

Hahah, saw the tour here in Finland and thought the exact same thing. The drummer played the same goddamn beat every song, and not at all in a cool simplistic style but more in the unimaginative and boring kind.

Edit: Also, that quiz just made me realize how big of a tool Mustaine really is. I mean I always thought he was a dick, but this... gently caress.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 26, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Newsflash: The new Terrorizer album, "Hordes Of Zombies," is loving boring. I'm sure we all expected this, but at least it's better than "Darker Days Ahead" was.

On a brighter note, everybody should check out Plague Widow from Sacramento, CA who play a ridiculously good and catchy version of brutal death metal/grindcore that is very reminiscent of Wormed mixed with the dissonant misery of Portal. Their self-titled EP is really loving good.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Read the whole thread. From waaaaaaaaay back on page 1:

The Clit Avoider posted:

Stench of Decay

Holy fucktits, thank you. I'm not all that versed in the joys of death metal, but this kind of sound really does it for me (doomy as poo poo, can-almost-dance-to-it-groovy, light on the blastbeats). I listened to their other demo and it loving owns. Also followed some related links to Krypts... :stare: :rock:

Radio Paranoia posted:

A Walk With the Wicked - groove metal

Blatant plug for my band, playing groovy death metal with a lot of Entombed influence. We released a six track EP last year and right now things are in flux a little because our lead guitarist has emigrated to Norway (but still wants to collaborate). Finding the right people to keep things afloat has been downright impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QWOwqrSFio

This is great too, thank you for sharing! Want more! Based on what I mentioned here, any other reccomendations? And yes, I already have a Bolt Thrower album. :D

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

henpod posted:

If I remember correctly, Deathstars is more or less made from the small band Swordmaster after they got an offer/suggestion/money from Nuclear Blast(I think?) to create a band that could ride the wave around Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth and sort of Covenant. They're like a goth-boyband.

That was the story ~10 years ago.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Iron Maiden are headlining Summerfest on the 4th of July. The "worlds largest music festival" in Milwaukee, WI. Alice Cooper is opening. The last time they played Summerfest was 1981 when some other band couldn't make it, so they headlined instead with the original singer. The live bootleg of that is pretty good.

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/iron-maiden-to-headline-summerfest-july-4-7i47q7b-139484393.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Ein posted:

If I remember correctly, Deathstars is more or less made from the small band Swordmaster after they got an offer/suggestion/money from Nuclear Blast(I think?) to create a band that could ride the wave around Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth and sort of Covenant. They're like a goth-boyband.

That was the story ~10 years ago.

Oh god why did I google this... :suicide: