Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bidikyoopi posted:

Ugh, the new Ferrari grill is not going in the right direction. Everything else sounds awesome though, especially the V12 that redlines at 8700 holy poo poo

edit: how can that be an improvement over this? (face-wise)

Yea that new grill is pretty weird looking, but in other photos the body actually looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Neptr posted:

It looks like a fish.
I'm specifically getting a manta ray vibe from the whole front end.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Omerta posted:

Agreed. The grill looks like a Nissan Maxima five years ago. Plus Audi fairy lights in the front and derivative A4 tail lights. And those wheels are just heinous.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lexus, but the only car I'd even remotely consider buying that they put out recently is the GS.

Yeah, I'm not even one of those people that gets all mad about derivative designs. So long as it looks good and it's not an actually misleading 100% copy like those Chinese knock-offs, I don't care how "original" your car design is. I like original car designs (see: Citroen and the other frenchies) but I also think that it's good for consumers if you rip off the smart parts of your competitor's designs. The key is whether it's a unified, coherent design versus a design that's made by ripping off "prestige" design cues and jamming them together. I don't think this Lexus is that. It's just that Lexus is trying too hard to be "distinctive" and just ends up looking weird.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

eames posted:

//edit: So the thing is called M135i, will be revealed in Geneva and there’s a whole gallery of it here: here.
Twin-turbo 3.0-liter, 326 PS, 450nm. 6-gear manual or 7-gear double-clutch.

I would buy the everlasting poo poo out of this as a huge fan of three door hatches. BMW of America needs to stop being such a prissy image conscious prat over here and start considering to bring over hatches already. Jesus christ.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm upset that they got rid of the flying buttresses on the new Ferrari. I really liked them on the 599.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bidikyoopi posted:

Ugh, the new Ferrari grill is not going in the right direction. Everything else sounds awesome though, especially the V12 that redlines at 8700 holy poo poo

I'm not in love, but it's consistent with the FF. Heck, stylewise, this is just the coupe version of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The FF is cool as all hell and I will fight anyone who says nay.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The problem is, that the FF is as cool as hell, but Ferrari decided to reinvent the wheel and go with a dual gearbox that shuts down one of the transmissions if you go into fifth.

Ferrari essentially outsmarted themselves.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Naky posted:

I would buy the everlasting poo poo out of this as a huge fan of three door hatches. BMW of America needs to stop being such a prissy image conscious prat over here and start considering to bring over hatches already. Jesus christ.

I'd need the five-door one (dogs need windows!) but otherwise that's exactly what'd I'd draw up if I could design a car from scratch to own. Want so bad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was, is, and always shall be, only one FF. :cmon:

Naky posted:

Not to mention that the 2-door 1-series is ugly as all Christ.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Evanauto posted:

The problem is, that the FF is as cool as hell, but Ferrari decided to reinvent the wheel and go with a dual gearbox that shuts down one of the transmissions if you go into fifth.

Ferrari essentially outsmarted themselves.

Unless it's geared like a rally car, once you're at speeds that 5th gear is used for you're probably not going to see much advantage from AWD.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Not that I'm the target demographic at all, but the new company fascia just totally turns me off. Everything body-wise and mechanical about the FF and new 620 and even the 458 is awesome (especially the rears) but that fish face is just so bad that it ruins it for me.

aw yeah

wait what

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like it. It reminds me of Ferrari in the 60s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's gorgeous, wouldn't change a thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I could use a few more extra vertical grill lines, but maybe that'd make it more :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

I could use a few more extra vertical grill lines, but maybe that'd make it more :getin:

Perhaps?

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

Amen.

KozmoNaut posted:

Or drop in some sunglasses.

Evanauto fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 26, 2012

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

It looks great from most angles, just that one in particular made me think of...

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Un-l337-Pork posted:

It looks great from most angles, that just that one in particular made me think of...

Welp, that knocks my suggestion out of the water.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Naky posted:

They do sell 3-door hatches, go get a Mini :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nodoze posted:

Your car's engine is hooked up to the wrong wheels. :v:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Nodoze posted:

Sadly, here in Canada an M135i would probably cost less than a mini.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Photos of Infiniti's Emerge-E concept vehicle have leaked out ahead of the Geneva autoshow. The earlier images were renderings but these are actual photos.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 26, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your car's engine is hooked up to the wrong wheels. :v:

I know :(

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

Amen.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Photos of Infiniti's Emerge-E concept vehicle have leaked out ahead of the Geneva autoshow. The earlier images were renderings but these are actual photos.

So they too a Ferrari F430 and put too much air in it?

e: Sorry that's a little too harsh. It does look good with that nose.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bidikyoopi posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

God drat it KozmoNaut. I will NEVER un-see that.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The new Ferraris have flatworm eyes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/fisker-to-launch-production-karma-surf-wagon-at-paris-salon-in-s/

Why didn't they do this in the first place? Now I have a Hummer dealership to protest.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That thing is gorgeous except for that somewhat funky steering wheel (which I'd make myself get used to if someone gave me the car). I'd also require a fake tachometer, a smaller battery meter and some engine sound effects so I can choose what engine to emulate at 100 decibels.

Until I can pull up at a stoplight next to a Prius that is rumbling like a big block 502 V8, I will remain unsatisfied with EV's. :psyduck:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

Until I can pull up at a stoplight next to a Prius that is rumbling like a big block 502 V8, I will remain unsatisfied with EV's. :psyduck:

Anything electric will never be just like an old V8, and shouldn't really try. Let's find something new and awesome they can do. Can we fix it so when you mash the pedal in an EV it emits a blinding white light and then 2 seconds later makes a booming thunder sound?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This would work:

http://www.hark.com/clips/sdgzbvrcwj-jetsons-car

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

davebo posted:

Anything electric will never be just like an old V8, and shouldn't really try. Let's find something new and awesome they can do. Can we fix it so when you mash the pedal in an EV it emits a blinding white light and then 2 seconds later makes a booming thunder sound?

All EVs have some serious management of the accelerator going on, otherwise the instant full torque will roast your tires instantly any time you aren't perfectly gentle with the throttle. This is even more important on electric motorcycles, otherwise the jump from no torque to full torque in only a few degrees of the throttle is a killer, literally.

Think about it. Even the most basic electric car or motorcycle needs to be reigned in significantly to stop it smoking the tires everywhere or bucking you off like a mad bronco.

Badass enough for you?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

All EVs have some serious management of the accelerator going on, otherwise the instant full torque will roast your tires instantly any time you aren't perfectly gentle with the throttle. This is even more important on electric motorcycles, otherwise the jump from no torque to full torque in only a few degrees of the throttle is a killer, literally.

Think about it. Even the most basic electric car or motorcycle needs to be reigned in significantly to stop it smoking the tires everywhere or bucking you off like a mad bronco.

Badass enough for you?

When I said it wouldn't be like a V8, I was referring to Keyser's desire for a Prius to "rumble" like a big V8. Badass performance is all well and good but Keyser wants the sound. I still say lightning and thunder is a good alternative, and if they want to implement some speaker system for all EV's so blind pedestrians can hear, you've got the thunder and just add some electric noises like your car is one big Tesla coil.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I might have posted this before, but Fisker actually designed a unique sound for their car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPUq0UwF_g

Much better than the Volt's dumb little horn chirps (it's awful, look it up yourself).

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I don't know the Volts little chirps make sense. They let the blind know hey a car is there with a familiar sound. The Fiskars sound seems like it would be scary for the blind, who have no frame of reference to associate the trony rumble with.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BonzoESC posted:

I might have posted this before, but Fisker actually designed a unique sound for their car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPUq0UwF_g

Much better than the Volt's dumb little horn chirps (it's awful, look it up yourself).

Fisker brought a Karma to Thunderhill several weeks ago. It sounds way too otherworldly to register as a car if you're a pedestrian that hasn't been exposed to it before. Also the packaging is thoroughly rubbish - it's like an inverse TARDIS that is much smaller on the inside than it looks. It's a triumph of style over substance, right down to the fossilized leaves in the console and doors

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BonzoESC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-v-pMxmHLE

I dunno, poo poo makes sense to me.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
Volvo not bringing the v40 to the US

RIP, another smallish wagon.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Admirable Gusto posted:

Fisker brought a Karma to Thunderhill several weeks ago. It sounds way too otherworldly to register as a car if you're a pedestrian that hasn't been exposed to it before. Also the packaging is thoroughly rubbish - it's like an inverse TARDIS that is much smaller on the inside than it looks. It's a triumph of style over substance, right down to the fossilized leaves in the console and doors

It weighs almost as much as a Tahoe, that's a lot of batteries and motors to package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ppp posted:

Volvo not bringing the v40 to the US

RIP, another smallish wagon.

It's closer to a hatch than a proper wagon from what I gathered.