Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

I'm starting to play with some motion tracking stuff in After Effects and I'm curious as to what governs its performance. It seems to take forever, but looking at activity monitor my CPU is barely spiking at all. I'm on an quad core i7 MBP with 8 gigs of RAM, working off of a FW800 drive. Could the FW800 connection be slowing it down somehow?

Huh. I did some emergency motion tracking on a Best Buy laptop (Lenovo with 6 gigs of RAM and some blah mobile i3 processor) a few weeks ago and it flew through it. 720p footage, tracking about 20 to 30 seconds worth of footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now I'm using 1 gig per background process because any more and it drops processors actually used down to zero no matter what other settings I use. I will look at what size boxes I've been using. It's possible that I've just got something somewhere else in the program setup dumb, just not sure what it would be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know of a Premiere plugin that will give me the effect that the last.fm player puts over its art? I dont know how to describe it, but heres an example.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Anyone know of a Premiere plugin that will give me the effect that the last.fm player puts over its art? I dont know how to describe it, but heres an example.

You could probably hack that dot-matrix pattern together in a Photoshop file pretty quickly, which you then just put on top of your video.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
It's called screentone, there are tons of photoshop patterns/brushes for it, people use it to (try to) replicate the zip-a-tone effect from manga. Like FLX says, just put one overtop your video track.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

powderific posted:

I'm starting to play with some motion tracking stuff in After Effects and I'm curious as to what governs its performance. It seems to take forever, but looking at activity monitor my CPU is barely spiking at all. I'm on an quad core i7 MBP with 8 gigs of RAM, working off of a FW800 drive. Could the FW800 connection be slowing it down somehow?

What format is the footage?

Also, what you're tracking in Ae is probably better tracked in Mocha.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The footage is from a Premiere project--I believe it was from an XF300 clip. Premiere's big thing is not needing to transcode so I didn't think about converting it to something else. Should I do that?

I'm not good enough in After Effects at this point to spring for Mocha--other than some color correction, I'm mostly screwing around for my own edification at this point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like Bunim/Murray is dropping FCP in lieu of Avid. Interesting.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/04/reality-tv-producer-bunimmurray-drops-final-cut-for-avid/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Be careful. If anyone views it with any large amount of compression, like on Youtube, the hashing will probably just smear.
And if it's viewed downsampled from the native resolution it'll moire like nuts.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I do some editing for some (very) non-professional stuff, and I've run into a wall with Windows Movie Maker. I need to be able to add chroma key, and I need to know a cheap (but good) program that will allow me to do this. Windows platform, nothing too fancy.

Any help would be appreciated!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Debug Mode makes an editor called Wax that's free and works very similarly to Windows Movie Maker if that's what you're familiar with. It does compositing, but I don't know how well. (Although usually the quality of the key is more dependent on how you lit it and what kind of camera you shot it with.)

I also don't think it works with Windows 7, so I hope that's not what you have. Hope it helps, good luck. :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could try Lightworks.
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

I don't know how robust it is in the free beta, but in previous incarnations it was used commercially in TV and Film production.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Can anyone recommend a good Resolve training resource, that also gives one a good understanding of the resolve control panel? Ideally available for the Kindle or as some sort of online video training.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

powderific posted:

I'm no expert about the whole 32-bit / 64-bit deal but I have AE CS5.5 64 bit and when I render it usues almost all of my 6gb of ram and it puts my cpu to good use. I have an i7 920 by the way.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
A friend of mine wants to take a course on FCPX from Apple offered here:

http://theeditcenter.com/

I tried to explain to him that this might be like paying a lot of money for a boarding ticket on the Titanic, but he's adamant about "making connections". He's an older guy and just doesn't understand where the industry is headed.

I suggested a course in Adobe Premiere. Is there anything similar to theeditcenter.com that focuses on Adobe instead of FCP?

EDIT: Looking at the site, it seems that Apple is trying to create a new generation of pros who use FCPX. I hope my friends instincts (and Apple's) are right.

big fat retard fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 17, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

THE HORSES rear end posted:

A friend of mine wants to take a course on FCPX from Apple offered here:

http://theeditcenter.com/

I tried to explain to him that this might be like paying a lot of money for a boarding ticket on the Titanic, but he's adamant about "making connections". He's an older guy and just doesn't understand where the industry is headed.

I suggested a course in Adobe Premiere. Is there anything similar to theeditcenter.com that focuses on Adobe instead of FCP?

EDIT: Looking at the site, it seems that Apple is trying to create a new generation of pros who use FCPX. I hope my friends instincts (and Apple's) are right.

Try as they might, the industry is going elsewhere. There was a big defection profiled a couple of weeks ago, and I sincerely doubt Hollywood is going back to FCP. I work for a big university, and we are moving to Avid from FCP next year, and we are not alone. FCPX has some really good features, but Apple has been pissing us (enterprise and education) off for years now, and we've just had enough.

FCPX: Great for 'professionals' with cheap DSLR's that need to edit that wedding video.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

mayodreams posted:

Try as they might, the industry is going elsewhere. There was a big defection profiled a couple of weeks ago, and I sincerely doubt Hollywood is going back to FCP. I work for a big university, and we are moving to Avid from FCP next year, and we are not alone. FCPX has some really good features, but Apple has been pissing us (enterprise and education) off for years now, and we've just had enough.

FCPX: Great for 'professionals' with cheap DSLR's that need to edit that wedding video.

Are there any similar courses for Adobe Premiere that I could recommend to my friend in lieu of FCPX?

EDIT: I think he's more concerned with making connections than with skills that are currently useful. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I can't recommend anything similar involving Premiere. I was hoping if you gys could.

big fat retard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 18, 2012

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
AVID has a pretty neat bunch of training videos - you could suggest to your mate to download the trial and give that a go.
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/media-composer-5-getting-started-training

As for general tutes, hit up Creative Cow if you're just looking to how to get around a program's interface and workflow.

However is he looking to be an editor?
Tell him to start spending his cash on books like "In the Blink of an Eye" "Conversation with Walter Murch" and additionally "Behind the Seen" or "Fine cuts: the art of European editing" to get a very loose overview of the creative process.
"On film editing" by Edward Dmytryk is an older book but great to read.

I tend to avoid technical manuals as they usually put the program first and sort of give a list of editing terminology without any solid examples and they become dated by the time they go on the shelf.
Big glossies like "Film Editing: Great Cuts Every Filmmaker and Movie Lover Must Know" I tend to try and avoid - most read like cinematographer's catalouge with little in the way of the insight behind a cut and more of "this is a jump cut as shown in this popular film".

That Edit Center isn't much more than an expensive tutorial video - granted you do get some idea of editing a feature with using proper rushes and consulting with a professional editor, but a six week course isn't going to wet the sides, especially if it's skipping over actual editing practices.

Going to a proper editing school is the only real way to get that skillset. It's bloody expensive; AFTRS in Australia sets you back $19,500 for a 32 week master course.

As for FCPX - even my mates with cheap DSLRs who live off wedding videos hate the program with a passion. I could have lived with the drastic interface change if I were able to do half the things FCP7 did.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Are there any similar courses for Adobe Premiere that I could recommend to my friend in lieu of FCPX?

EDIT: I think he's more concerned with making connections than with skills that are currently useful. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I can't recommend anything similar involving Premiere. I was hoping if you gys could.

Depending on your proximity to their locations, FMC has excellent training for almost any pro app. I'v done their intro Avid and FCP classes, and some of my coworkers did Color and After Effects and we've all been really happy with them.

http://www.fmctraining.com/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

The footage is from a Premiere project--I believe it was from an XF300 clip. Premiere's big thing is not needing to transcode so I didn't think about converting it to something else. Should I do that?

I'm not good enough in After Effects at this point to spring for Mocha--other than some color correction, I'm mostly screwing around for my own edification at this point.

So I took the hard drive out of my FW800 enclosure, bought MacDrive and an extra 8GB of ram for my gaming desktop, and installed a trial of CS5.5. It's waaaay faster than it was on my MBP. I'm thinking it was mostly due to the hard drive speed and lack of RAM. The difference is big enough I'm thinking of trying to sell my MBP to build a desktop for heavy lifting and Air for mobile use if anyone's in need of a thunderbolt 15" with high res matte screen.

I also realized that Mocha comes free with AE and wound up using that and a Cameratracker trial for most of the project, which leads me to another question: for Mocha, standard workflow for putting text on a surface seems to be placing the text in the scene, pre-comping it, and then applying corner pin data to the pre comp. This works really well for the most part, but I'm not sure how to get motion blur. When I connect text to points in cameratracker or null objects with AE's tracker it's easy enough, but I haven't been able to get anything to show up with the pre-comped text. Any suggestions?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have an audio podcast called Role Playing Public Radio. I think it would be good to upload old episodes to Youtube so my listeners have another option to listen to the show.

Is there an easy way to add a single still image to an audio file and make it a video format that Youtube accepts? I have Final Cut Studio 3 but it takes hours to render a video. I also don't know what kind of options I have to speed this up or make it less painful than having to use FCP to do this.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I made this for Film Fights.

Whatcha think?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Does anyone have experience with Thunderbolt storage and the BlackMagic video I/O devices? Are those things reliable already and as fast as advertised?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

FLX posted:

Does anyone have experience with Thunderbolt storage and the BlackMagic video I/O devices? Are those things reliable already and as fast as advertised?
Which capture devices in particular?

I use the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 device and the Blackmagic Hyperdeck and I am waiting for the Blackmagic Decklink 4K to come out. They are reliable and as fast as advertised BUT the devices are sensitive to the hardware you attach it to. They need blazing fast data rates if you want to work with uncompressed. You need a good USB 3.0 chipset and drivers and a good SSD to work with uncompressed on the Shuttle. If you have background stuff running, you can get stutter and dropped frames when capturing uncompressed. This isn't an issue with compressed stuff. The hyperdeck only supports fast SSD drives. The shuttle and hyperdeck do not do 1080P 60 which is part of why I want the decklink which will require even faster data rates.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yuns posted:

Which capture devices in particular?

Specifically the UltraStudio 3D (or Intensity Extreme) with Thunderbolt connection, together with a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID. I was wondering if those devices work stable by themselves and together on the same Thunderbolt chain (when capturing from the UltraStudio to the Pegasus RAID for example). USB 3.0 doesn't seem too stable in general, and it's also not available on Macs yet.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Whats babby's first video editing program? I just want to be able to cut, paste, superimpose subtitles, graft audio in, and throw some words up over moving images.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It really depends on what your recording video with.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Well I currently have mp4 but I can convert to .avi or something more suitable. I don't have issues with converting, codecs, or playback, I just don't know poo poo about editing.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Super Grub posted:

Whats babby's first video editing program? I just want to be able to cut, paste, superimpose subtitles, graft audio in, and throw some words up over moving images.

I've heard good things about Lightworks.

It looks pretty professional.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Question:

I interned with a guy writing for a local TV show and helping assist with production a in August for three months and didn't really have that great of an experience (Didn't get paid either).

He emails me asking if I want to edit some reality TV shows he's trying to pitch out to networks. $150 per episode. I think this is on the cheap scale, but then again I don't have that much editing experience.

My question is how long do you think it would take to edit a (30-45min) episode and is this a super lowball amount of money to be paid to do it?

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
It takes me about 2 and a half weeks to put together a 47-minute rough cut for the network TV show I'm currently working on, and that's something that was shot professionally over the course of 7 days.

$150 is hopelessly low, even for a pitch and even for someone with little experience. The first pilot I ever cut was a fairly simple shoot, the final product was 22 minutes, and I think I got a couple thousand for the two or three weeks I spent on it.

My guess is, since you have very little experience, you'd probably spend about a month on an episode. And at $150, you'd be doing it for the sole purpose of GAINING experience, not the money.

It does raise about a hundred red flags though; typically you want a pitch to be as polished and slick as possible, and you don't ask a junior editor to work essentially for free to get them cut if you know what you're doing. Based on my past experiences, this situation sounds like it could get pretty painful. If you decide to go through with it, make you sure you get firm deadlines from him and make it absolutely clear that you won't be futzing around with the cut for months and month without end (without getting properly paid).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a crazy pain in the butt to me. If the guy sucked to work for when you did it for free, I can't imagine it being much better when you're getting paid. Probably worse. And I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his hair brained idea will never see the light of day if he's only willing to chuck $150 at editing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Peacebone posted:

Question:

I interned with a guy writing for a local TV show and helping assist with production a in August for three months and didn't really have that great of an experience (Didn't get paid either).

He emails me asking if I want to edit some reality TV shows he's trying to pitch out to networks. $150 per episode. I think this is on the cheap scale, but then again I don't have that much editing experience.

My question is how long do you think it would take to edit a (30-45min) episode and is this a super lowball amount of money to be paid to do it?

It is ....ridiculously low ball.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
This is what I assumed and I just declined. Thanks for the feedback.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Peacebone posted:

Question:

General rule of thumb that I've heard - and my personal experience and the responses in this thread seem to back up the notion - is roughly 2 hours of editing time per minute of finished video. That's for someone who knows their way around their software and doesn't touch the mouse too much.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Kolchak posted:

It takes me about 2 and a half weeks to put together a 47-minute rough cut for the network TV show I'm currently working on, and that's something that was shot professionally over the course of 7 days.

So when you do this, do you do all of the titles, disconnected sound grafting for external shots, background music mixing, etc all by yourself? Do you make the calls on the edits just based on a storyboard the director had created?

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
(this is kinda long-winded, my apologies; hopefully this is what you're looking for)

It's different from show to show, but for this show and most of the ones I've worked on, I never have any storyboards or anything. I'm given a general outline of what happened on each day, and then I basically just watch through all the footage and look for the interesting moments in order to start building an ostensibly entertaining 45-minute show.

This one is a 3-camera competition show with three contestants working simultaneously, so there's a lot to go through. Some shows have story editors or assistant editors who will go through that step and put together an assembly but I hate that - I much prefer to know myself what's there and what isn't, especially when producers and network execs start asking for stuff down the line.

So I put together an hour-long rough cut based on what I think is the most interesting/entertaining but still conforms to whatever format restrictions we have, and then when I sit with the producer for the first screening he/she will tell me to look for more of this, less of that, etc. Then I'll pare it down even more, start placing temporary titles, temp music tracks and graphics to get a polished & presentable "rough" cut ready for the network, and then we send it up and wait for their notes.

I don't do much sound mixing except to make sure everything that needs to be heard can be heard; the heavy lifting in that department goes to the audio house. On this show we also have composers who will score it (the temp tracks I put in for the network's first rough cut are just there because network execs have no imagination and get nervous when there's no music telling you how to feel). On my last show, I had to score it using stock tracks, which was a nightmare and not something that is very common. When the picture is locked on my end, it gets sent to the online editor for colour correction and final mastering.

Kolchak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 8, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. A little bit of Avid help, if you please.
I've got backups of cards for a show for AMA consolidation and all that. I'm fine with what to do regularly, but I've got a few instances of files split over multiple cards and I can't figure out how to get Avid to read the whole split take as one.
For example, Card 12 will have 'SHOT123_01', Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_02'-'SHOT123_04' and Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_05'.
When loading the AMA from the first card only that part will show up. 6 minutes out of a 40min take. The parts of SHOT123 will not access on their own, so I can't even build it out of three or five chunks.

Anyone know what to do to get this to load in as a single file?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yo. A little bit of Avid help, if you please.
I've got backups of cards for a show for AMA consolidation and all that. I'm fine with what to do regularly, but I've got a few instances of files split over multiple cards and I can't figure out how to get Avid to read the whole split take as one.
For example, Card 12 will have 'SHOT123_01', Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_02'-'SHOT123_04' and Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_05'.
When loading the AMA from the first card only that part will show up. 6 minutes out of a 40min take. The parts of SHOT123 will not access on their own, so I can't even build it out of three or five chunks.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but on the subject of Avid importing. Is it possible to link multiple AMA files at once? I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you sure this isn't something you need to accomplish with camera-based software? I know that when I was trying to import Sony clips that spanned cards I had to use their proprietary software before I brought it into an editing program.