Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BlackRider posted:

Looks like Blocknews is completely down (including their website).
Blocknews is up for me and their faq website and twitter feed don't mention any downtime.

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I'm downloading something and it failed to repair cause I'm just missing a measly 7 MB of 3+ GB, what can I do about it?
Spend $2.75 at Blocknews, add it as a backup server, and try repairing again? I think that's how it works nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

td4guy posted:

Blocknews is up for me and their faq website and twitter feed don't mention any downtime.
Spend $2.75 at Blocknews, add it as a backup server, and try repairing again? I think that's how it works nowadays.

I forgot to mention that Blocknews is my primary (and only) provider, since I don't download too much. I just buy the 200 GB plan and it lasts me for months.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot to mention that Blocknews is my primary (and only) provider, since I don't download too much. I just buy the 200 GB plan and it lasts me for months.

Get a block service from a different provider for backup. It would provide the same effect as going Supernews + Blocknees for example.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Set a free account from http://www.xsusenet.com/ as your backup server. I use Supernews as my primary and a free account as my backup and I have never had a problem, that said I'm not a very heavy usenet user.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Any idea why I sometimes get the following error?:

Error renaming "C:\SABnzbd04\downloads\complete\Filename\Folder 1\_UNPACK_Filename" to "C:\SABnzbd04\downloads\complete\Filename\Folder 1\Filename"

When I look in the complete directory, the file extracted fine, it just happens to be in in the _UNPACK_ folder rather than the parent one with all the rest of the related files. Only seems to happen once every couple of downloads, and isn't a big deal as can just move the file, but didn't know if there was a easy fix.

Edit: I'm not still using SABnzbd v0.4, it just happens to be where my file library is located from many versions ago.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lord Dekks posted:

Any idea why I sometimes get the following error?:

Error renaming "C:\SABnzbd04\downloads\complete\Filename\Folder 1\_UNPACK_Filename" to "C:\SABnzbd04\downloads\complete\Filename\Folder 1\Filename"

When I look in the complete directory, the file extracted fine, it just happens to be in in the _UNPACK_ folder rather than the parent one with all the rest of the related files. Only seems to happen once every couple of downloads, and isn't a big deal as can just move the file, but didn't know if there was a easy fix.

You could have some service accessing that file when SAB tries to do the rename, and it fails because the files are in use.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

You could have some service accessing that file when SAB tries to do the rename, and it fails because the files are in use.

Ah, could just having the folder open in windows explorer be doing that? I tend to often have it open to see which files I don't need anymore and can be deleted.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lord Dekks posted:

Ah, could just having the folder open in windows explorer be doing that? I tend to often have it open to see which files I don't need anymore and can be deleted.

There is an option in Config>Switches to disable renaming.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

i had that problem when i had (i think it was) Windows Media player automatically adding new files to the library right from the download directory. Like fishmanpet said something is accessing the files. i would look for anything that may be indexing the folder, like the windows search indexer.

I also had that happen on windows home server because it would start to duplicate the data and wouldn't release it in time to allow it to be renamed.

Lord Dekks posted:

it's possible, but in my experience when i have the _unpack_ folders open when it is done extracting the folder would just closed on me. If however you click on one of the files then that would open the thumbs.db hidden file and that would prevent the folder from being renamed. This can be fixed by checking "always show icons never thumbnails" in the folder options.

Waffle Conspiracy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 6, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lord Dekks posted:

You should be fine if you're looking at C:\SABnzbd04\downloads\complete\Filename\Folder 1\ but once you go into the _UNPACK_ directory SAB won't be able to do the rename. There's all sorts of other poo poo that can go wrong. Search indexers or AV or gremlins could be grabbing a lock on the file when SAB tries to do the move. Windows can be pretty dumb sometimes, in an attempt to "protect" you.

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004

td4guy posted:

It was down for about an hour but you're right, no downtime was mentioned. This was confirmed with another person so it wasn't just me.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Anyone who uses newzbin2 - are you also seeing "2012-03-07 14:20:04,532 WARNING: Empty NZB file" from SABnzbd?

I'm getting this for all nzb files.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Gimperial posted:

Anyone who uses newzbin2 - are you also seeing "2012-03-07 14:20:04,532 WARNING: Empty NZB file" from SABnzbd?

I'm getting this for all nzb files.

I just tried to pull an NZB and then opened it up in textedit, it looks to me like it's not pointing at any files:
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE nzb PUBLIC "-//newzBin//DTD NZB 1.0//EN" "http://www.newzbin2.es/DTD/nzb/nzb-1.0.dtd">
<nzb xmlns="http://www.newzbin2.es/DTD/2003/nzb">
<!-- Generated at [url]http://www.newzbin2.es[/url] - REDACTED / REDACTED -->
</nzb>
"redacted" added to try to remove the ID that shows what nzb it was to avoid any :files: issues, but, that looks to me like a structurally valid NZB with nothing in it. Compare that to a matching NZB from binsearch:
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE nzb PUBLIC "-//newzBin//DTD NZB 1.0//EN" "http://www.newzbin.com/DTD/nzb/nzb-1.0.dtd">
<!-- NZB Generated by Binsearch.info (fcgi) -->
<nzb xmlns="http://www.newzbin.com/DTD/2003/nzb">

<file poster="REDACTED" date="REDACTED" subject="RELEASE.NAME.REDACTED">
<groups><group>REDACTED</group></groups>
<segments>
<segment bytes="398528" number="239">REDACTED</segment>
...etc....
tl;dr yes it looks like newzbin2 is spitting out empty files.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Yeah they posted an update about it a few minutes after I posted:

http://www.newzbin2.es/news/view/?nw_id=369

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

XBMC, Plex, Boxee.

Probably inferior alts: Media Portal, MeediOS

XBMC is the real answer, though, it's amazing.

I just want something I can use and stream from my main computer out the box. Will the Boxee Box do this well with MKV files? I use SickBeard to download my TV shows and I just want something easy to stream them to my TV. The Boxee Box seems like it'll do a decent job of it, just wondering about performance.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It should, but you might want to test-drive the interface to see if you like it. I personally prefer the XBMC interface and various skins to anything that Plex or Boxee has done.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

It should, but you might want to test-drive the interface to see if you like it. I personally prefer the XBMC interface and various skins to anything that Plex or Boxee has done.

I've had a look and I do prefer the XBMC interface but I don't want the hassle of building a system for it, the Boxee Box seems like the quickest and cheapest option. I'm still weighing up my options, baring in mind I won't be storing any content on the system, it's all going to be streamed over my network (using an ethernet cable, not wifi).

Although, for what I use the Apple TV doesn't seem that bad. Again though, I'd just be worried about the performance when streaming large MKV files. It's almost too small. Actually, does it even play MKV files natively? Really need to do some research.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2012

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

tomm posted:

I've had a look and I do prefer the XBMC interface but I don't want the hassle of building a system for it, the Boxee Box seems like the quickest and cheapest option. I'm still weighing up my options, baring in mind I won't be storing any content on the system, it's all going to be streamed over my network (using an ethernet cable, not wifi).

Although, for what I use the Apple TV doesn't seem that bad. Again though, I'd just be worried about the performance when streaming large MKV files. It's almost too small. Actually, does it even play MKV files natively? Really need to do some research.

How important is the MKV side of things to you? I've found my Xbox 360 is fantastic at streaming, the only caveat is that MKVs need to be re-wrapped into MP4s, but its dead easy to get SABnzbd to do this in a script and doesn't take long on a derm system. So might be worth getting a cheap used Xbox 360?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm waiting for the community to get their hands on the new atv. It's built for 1080p, which may resolve the biggest (only?) gripe people have had with it.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Lord Dekks posted:

How important is the MKV side of things to you? I've found my Xbox 360 is fantastic at streaming, the only caveat is that MKVs need to be re-wrapped into MP4s, but its dead easy to get SABnzbd to do this in a script and doesn't take long on a derm system. So might be worth getting a cheap used Xbox 360?

I'm currently using my Xbox 360. It's ok, it can actually play MKV's with WMC but it's fussy over which ones it will play and I really don't like the performance and interface. It's all very slow and clunky for my liking. It serves a purpose though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

tomm posted:

There are pre-built systems that are great for XBMC. I have a home-built HTPC and an Apple TV that's jailbroken with XBMC installed. The HTPC is great, and I like having a Windows box so I can do other poo poo with the HTPC. It plays everything I throw at it flawlessly, and I hardly ever have an issue with it. That's using all kinds of plugins, skins, and add-ons for emulation or trailers.

The Apple TV wins on a couple of points: size, power consumption, and bonus features if you have other iOS products. I find myself using AirPlay way more than I ever thought I would. Using XBMC is great, but it's a bit limited by the ATV hardware, so you'll see some stuttering in CPU intensive skins. I've never tried 1080p stuff on it, as it only outputs in 720p, but it's played everything else without issues.

I don't think I mentioned it, but like others are saying the 360/PS3 is good for playback as well. I find them very finicky, personally, but others seem to not have issues with them. You can stream mkvs and what not if you install some sort of transcoding software on your main PC and stream from that.

This isn't really the thread for all that, though. Check out the HTPC thread for various hardware options, and the XBMC thread for specific info on that.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

There are pre-built systems that are great for XBMC. I have a home-built HTPC and an Apple TV that's jailbroken with XBMC installed. The HTPC is great, and I like having a Windows box so I can do other poo poo with the HTPC. It plays everything I throw at it flawlessly, and I hardly ever have an issue with it. That's using all kinds of plugins, skins, and add-ons for emulation or trailers.

The Apple TV wins on a couple of points: size, power consumption, and bonus features if you have other iOS products. I find myself using AirPlay way more than I ever thought I would. Using XBMC is great, but it's a bit limited by the ATV hardware, so you'll see some stuttering in CPU intensive skins. I've never tried 1080p stuff on it, as it only outputs in 720p, but it's played everything else without issues.

I don't think I mentioned it, but like others are saying the 360/PS3 is good for playback as well. I find them very finicky, personally, but others seem to not have issues with them. You can stream mkvs and what not if you install some sort of transcoding software on your main PC and stream from that.

This isn't really the thread for all that, though. Check out the HTPC thread for various hardware options, and the XBMC thread for specific info on that.

Appreciate the help. I'll check out that thread. I'm not worrying too much about my HTPC being able to run many plugins or anything, it's purely for watching TV. And purely streaming.

I'll scan through those threads for some tips. Cheers.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I just started using usenet and I'm really amazed at this. I don't quite fully understand how everything works just yet. Will using a backup provider fix missing articles and repairs? I've been getting a lot of "Repair failed, not enough blocks (## Short)", If so how can I get sabnbzd to use the backup provider to fix it? I hit retry and it looks like it still uses my main. I'm using Supernews as my main and blocknews as my backup.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Drevoak posted:

I just started using usenet and I'm really amazed at this. I don't quite fully understand how everything works just yet. Will using a backup provider fix missing articles and repairs? I've been getting a lot of "Repair failed, not enough blocks (## Short)", If so how can I get sabnbzd to use the backup provider to fix it? I hit retry and it looks like it still uses my main. I'm using Supernews as my main and blocknews as my backup.

Are you sure the backup server is connecting? Never had that issue, hit Test Server and check the counter next to it to see if it has downloaded anything.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

tomm posted:

I'm currently using my Xbox 360. It's ok, it can actually play MKV's with WMC but it's fussy over which ones it will play and I really don't like the performance and interface. It's all very slow and clunky for my liking. It serves a purpose though.

That's fair enough, in the meantime though you might want to check out:

http://xenonmkv.ev98.net/

The following (quick and dirty) SABnzbd script will auto re-wrap the MKVs to be a lot more Xbox friendly:

code:
cd /d %1
IF NOT EXIST *.mkv GOTO NOMKV
del *sample*.*
del *.srr
del *.srt
del *.nfo
del *.nzb
IF EXIST *.mkv c:\XenonMKV\XenonMKV.exe -inputfolder %1 -outputfolder %1
cd /d %1
IF EXIST *.mp4 del *.mkv
:NOMKV
exit
I found that when I tried to transcode, files would sometimes get out of sync or have the odd hiccup.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

tomm posted:

Are you sure the backup server is connecting? Never had that issue, hit Test Server and check the counter next to it to see if it has downloaded anything.

Test server went fine but it still appears to not be using the backup provider. While it is downloading can I actually see where its coming from?

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Drevoak posted:

Test server went fine but it still appears to not be using the backup provider. While it is downloading can I actually see where its coming from?

Click on the Status tab up top, then the Connections tab, and it will tell you which server is currently in use. Your issue may not be with incomplete files though. It may be using the wrong par2 set for the repair. I have my install set not to download sample files, but occasionally it will download the par2 info for the sample file and use that instead. Or, it may have been an incomplete nzb. I get those occasionally with some Newznab indexers. Browse to your incomplete directory and try running a manual repair. If you're missing files, it will tell you, and you can try getting the rest from Binsearch or MysterBin. If it was just using the wrong par2 set, extract it manually.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there a general consensus on what the best sabnzbd/Sickbeard manager is for iOS?

It seems like isn't one that can do everything. Qouch has a decent interface with Sickbeard and sabnzbd but no built in browser with support for adding nzbs to sabnzbd. SABMobile is nice but I'm not sure it's optimized very well for the bigger screen on the iPad. SABMobile HD looks really nice for the iPad but it isn't available on the iPhone.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Tutu posted:

Set a free account from http://www.xsusenet.com/ as your backup server. I use Supernews as my primary and a free account as my backup and I have never had a problem, that said I'm not a very heavy usenet user.

How is this free? What's the catch?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Corbet posted:

Is there a general consensus on what the best sabnzbd/Sickbeard manager is for iOS?

It seems like isn't one that can do everything. Qouch has a decent interface with Sickbeard and sabnzbd but no built in browser with support for adding nzbs to sabnzbd. SABMobile is nice but I'm not sure it's optimized very well for the bigger screen on the iPad. SABMobile HD looks really nice for the iPad but it isn't available on the iPhone.
:O

Can you use these apps to search for and fetch nzbs on your home computer?

If so, Id like to add to that question and ask if there are any for WP7.

edit: Decided to not be dumb and just searched for "nzb". Found SABNZBD+ download manager and it lets you use your nabmatrix account to fetch nzbs remotely. Amazing!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It doesn't do Sickbeard, but myNZB is great and does everything. Multiple server support, lots of supported indexers, search/rss, speed throttling...the works. Great interface too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LaserWash posted:

How is this free? What's the catch?

The catch is that it maxes out at a theoretical 125 kBps, has one third the retention of the normal providers, and at least for me, often fails to connect.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Mynzb is great for managing Sab. Can do pretty much anything and searching sites is easy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It finally seems like I got Sickbeard set up and working, but I'm having an issue. I tell Sickbeard to download my TV shows to D:\TV Shows but it doesn't; it downloads them to where SAnzbd is set to. Thing is I don't want everything I download to end up in my TV folder. Is there any way to tell SAnzbd to listen to Sickbeard?

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.

Lord Dekks posted:

If you're just watching small files less than 4GB in size, and nothing fancy for an audio codec (2 channel only is supported if I recall), a 360 probably would work OK. However, if you're watching anything larger in size or using special audio codecs, you have to convert the audio and/or split the file into smaller pieces.. and it's just a huge pain the rear end imho.. Even on a pretty fast quad-core, that process takes 35-45 minutes for a large file..

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hamburglar posted:

It finally seems like I got Sickbeard set up and working, but I'm having an issue. I tell Sickbeard to download my TV shows to D:\TV Shows but it doesn't; it downloads them to where SAnzbd is set to. Thing is I don't want everything I download to end up in my TV folder. Is there any way to tell SAnzbd to listen to Sickbeard?

Sickbeard doesn't do any of the downloading, it does the organizing. You can either set SABnzbd's download directory to be your Sickbeard watch directory, or setup a TV category in SABnzbd with the sabtosickbeard post processing script.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

Sickbeard doesn't do any of the downloading, it does the organizing. You can either set SABnzbd's download directory to be your Sickbeard watch directory, or setup a TV category in SABnzbd with the sabtosickbeard post processing script.

I Googled sabtosickbeard and figured it out; thanks so much!

1st1sHere
Nov 4, 2011
wrong thread

Thanks

1st1sHere fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 12, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I'm starting to see more and more SDTV x264 encoded tv stuff that Sickbeard isn't picking up under it's SDTV option, the HDTV picks up 720p x264 but the SDTV ones are the normal 400-600mb size as traditional xvid avi rips.

Is there a way to create this on my own or do we wait for it to be included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

maniacripper posted:

So I'm starting to see more and more SDTV x264 encoded tv stuff that Sickbeard isn't picking up under it's SDTV option, the HDTV picks up 720p x264 but the SDTV ones are the normal 400-600mb size as traditional xvid avi rips.

Is there a way to create this on my own or do we wait for it to be included?

It's been in for a couple of weeks, though if you're running the windows builds I'm guessing it hasn't been included in those yet.