Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

To piggyback on funkybottoms's much more illustrious destination, I am also going on vacation. To, well, Ocean City, MD. Don't ask.

Anyways, do any of you folks know any good destinations nearby, whether it's a bottle shop or bar?

Liquid Assets on 94th is a great meal. Not a huge bottle selection, but some decent stuff and the food's fantastic, about one of the best-quality restaurants you'll find down there. It's also a liquor store, so you can get any of the beers in the cooler even if it's not actually listed on the restaurant menu.

Bluecoast is another very good restaurant. I'm not mentioning that because of beer, it's just a great place to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I think Houblon is my favorite beer ever.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Paul Proteus posted:

New Orleans, and the Quarter particularly, is not a beer friendly town. The pickings are typically slim. People don't care what they drink down there, as long as it gets them drunk so liquor is still king.

Nola is overall unremarkable but their Irish Channel stout is a fine example of a dry stout and the Hopitoulas IPA is pretty good. Flambeau Red is the best thing they make. Don't get the saison.

Why is the under 21 thing an issue, are you with some people who aren't?

yeah, i'm with my girlfriend and her 7 year-old, i haven't pulled a dick move and ditched them so i could have a beer. yet. we're visiting her daughter's friend, so i'm thinking i'll get a chance when the moms and kids are occupied.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Firestone Walker's Union Jack is really good, but it reminds me almost exactly of Nugget Nectar. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think they're very similar and I wouldn't be surprised if it was dang near the same recipe. I don't know if I could tell them apart in a blind tasting. Both have a citrus pine aroma/taste, though if I'm recalling correctly, Nugget Nectar just came in a bit earlier with the hops.

In other news I'm getting my first Pliny the Elder tomorrow thanks to an awesome beer manager I know. Fantastic.

Edit: The commercial description describes Union Jack as grapefruit, I'm getting pine but I think I get those two confused sometimes.

Edit 2: Drinking a New Jersey brew Cricket Hill's Hopnotic IPA. It just makes me irritated that no commercial NJ brewer can brew anything more than a decent year round beer, not worth buying over anything else. This is bland with citrus and floral hop flavors barely coming through, bland.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 10, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

drat, has anybody had Victory V-12 yet?

I just opened my 750 and my mind is pretty blown by the aroma. It's big toffee, burnt sugar, sort of a marmalade fruity thing.. It just keeps smelling better and better the more it warms.

Really completely in love with this sort of hints of english character quad thing.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

The Dregs posted:

I have really been getting into trying out beers recently. I love stouts and malty beers, but I really don't like strong hoppy flavors and I can't stand IPA's. I was at a big liquor store the other day and I asked if they had any Corsendonk (I loving love that stuff, but it's too expensive to drink often). They brought their local 'beer guy' over to get it for me. He is this skinny dude with huge hair and a thick beard. He heaves a big, sad, sigh and asks me why I would buy that stuff when they have Bernardus.

"Because I like it?"

Another big sigh as he slumps off to fetch it from the back room. When he comes back he mentions that he is starting his own brewery-Burnt Hickory something or other, and that I should check them out. I agree to look for them. He says that they will only be brewing "real" beers. I ask what a real beer is. He says real beers have lots of hops...cascade, and a bunch of other hops names I can't recall.

I told him I am not into IPA's, but I'll certainly check out his website.

Another huge sigh. He says, "You're really gonna have to get over that, man. All those other beers are for Bud drinkers.

I guess I met my first beer snob. Do I really have to get over it? Do I? Because hops taste like Pine Sol.
I know I'm late on this but hell no you don't need to get over it. As much as I might enjoy and talk/write about hoppy beers, I'm pretty happy that others exist...even lagers. And I know plenty of people I'd consider proper beer drinking folk that don't share my tastes.

But do realize that in drinking any beers that aren't the basic swills that the lowest common denominator are used to, you will be exposed to many a hop...sometimes in the most cunning of ways. And you very well could develop a taste for them.

<sigh>

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I figure if I can't find what's good in a style of beer, the problem is on my end. I spent a good year or so trying out lagers before I really found what I enjoyed in them.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
You may come around to IPAs, it's a slow transition for some people.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I'm drinking a Dark Horse Fore right now, and really enjoying it - most smoked stouts/porters either put the smoke or the roast at the front of the palate, but this one asserts them both and makes the flavors mesh well. Lots of espresso and smoked bacon flavor in this one. Dark Horse's website says that they use peat-smoked malt in Fore, which would make it one of the few peat-smoked beers that I've ever enjoyed: Most peat-smoked beers taste like burning tires or ashtrays to me. Evil Twin's Ashtray Heart, which is apparently also brewed with peat malt (Kosher Man, confirm/deny?), is also very good, but gave me a really wicked case of heartburn that... well, the beer lived up to its name. :v:

I managed to snag a bottle of Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn tonight, too. Looking forward to tasting it!

/edit: drat, just now feeling the heartburn on this one. What is it about peat that does that, anyway? Scotch tends to do a number on my stomach too, and other smoked beers don't affect my stomach nearly as much.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm not huge on scotch's I've had Johnny Blue, Black, and Red, Glenlivet 12, and Laphroaig 10. I think only Johnny Blue is described as peaty and I can't really describe the flavor other than "peaty" if that is indeed the flavor I'm thinking. If so I don't like the flavor of it too much and prefer Johnny Walker Black over blue because of that, then again I'm more of a bourbon drinker.

I'm drinking a Yards IPA now and this is a really good English style IPA. I've never cared for many like this but I'm appreciating the complexity of bread and toasted notes from the malts with a slight citrus from the hops overall reminding me a bit of tea which fits with the whole British theme. This is a nice drinkable beer, especially at 7%. I could see myself getting into trouble with this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midorka posted:

I'm not huge on scotch's I've had Johnny Blue, Black, and Red, Glenlivet 12, and Laphroaig 10. I think only Johnny Blue is described as peaty and I can't really describe the flavor other than "peaty" if that is indeed the flavor I'm thinking. If so I don't like the flavor of it too much and prefer Johnny Walker Black over blue because of that, then again I'm more of a bourbon drinker.

Laphroaig is one of the peatiest of Scotches, it's enormously peaty.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
Dammit you guys, I managed to get through 60 pages of the previous thread and then you had to go and start a new one. :negative:

I've been reading both threads with some interest, as a craft beer enthusiast from Australia. The threads are very US-centric, so it's interesting for me to learn about how those who live in the world's best country for craft beer (in my opinion) view it - and how things differ between the US and here/New Zealand. For example, your wildly varying state-by-state purchasing laws boggle my mind, and the the negativity towards Mikkeller brews - generally speaking - also confuses me (some of it is warranted though, I agree).

Anyway, I wanted to drop in to say hello, and will be following this closely as my trip to San Francisco in June gets closer and closer. I went to the US last May, and while I did manage to explore American craft beer to a small degree, a) we were in a number of places for only short periods of time and b) I was still very new to the world of good beer. This time around though, we'll only be in SF, and for two whole weeks, which affords us the chance to give places like Toronado, City Beer and Abbot's Cellar (if it's open by then) the time they deserve, as well as visit Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, Moylan's etc.

If anyone has any questions about Australian or New Zealand beer or the beer scene here, I'd be more than happy to take a stab at answering them - or just provide a bit of a different perspective perhaps? What do you guys know of our craft beers/breweries, and have many of you had the chance to try any?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

Firestone Walker's Union Jack is really good, but it reminds me almost exactly of Nugget Nectar. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think they're very similar and I wouldn't be surprised if it was dang near the same recipe. I don't know if I could tell them apart in a blind tasting.

I've never had either of these beers but just out of curiosity I looked up their ingredients. Their malt bills aren't very similar, Troeg's uses no specialty malts and Firestone Walker's is a more traditional American IPA recipe. Troeg's uses 5 different hops while Firestone Walker's uses six different ones, but only 2 of the hops are used in both recipes. One of those 2 hops they share is only used as a bittering addition in the Firestone Walker beer, so you basically get no discernible flavor from it in a beer like this.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Just got back from Founders. I thought I was insane for getting there at 5am, but the line for KBS had already wrapped around the building, roughly ending where I was at the end of the line for Canadian Breakfast Stout last year, and I had gotten there at 9:30 that time. I had heard people saying they were planning on getting there at 6. I figured they meant am, but apparently people drove to the brewery after clocking out of work for the day.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Line for Hunahpu's Day started around 3am it seems.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Josh Wow posted:

I've never had either of these beers but just out of curiosity I looked up their ingredients. Their malt bills aren't very similar, Troeg's uses no specialty malts and Firestone Walker's is a more traditional American IPA recipe. Troeg's uses 5 different hops while Firestone Walker's uses six different ones, but only 2 of the hops are used in both recipes. One of those 2 hops they share is only used as a bittering addition in the Firestone Walker beer, so you basically get no discernible flavor from it in a beer like this.

Josh Wow posted:

TASTE BUDS OK!!?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vaguido posted:

Just got back from Founders. I thought I was insane for getting there at 5am, but the line for KBS had already wrapped around the building, roughly ending where I was at the end of the line for Canadian Breakfast Stout last year, and I had gotten there at 9:30 that time. I had heard people saying they were planning on getting there at 6. I figured they meant am, but apparently people drove to the brewery after clocking out of work for the day.

People camping outside Founder's (from their Twitter):

People be crazy.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Sirotan posted:

People be crazy.

And that's why I have my local bottle shop hold a case for me. I'm not driving 3 hours and then standing in the cold for 12 more hours. I'll pay the $100 for a case and be happy.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sirotan posted:

People be crazy.

whoever dies with the most KBS wins!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

whoever dies

If only...

(I don't actually wish them death okay?)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Laphroaig is one of the peatiest of Scotches, it's enormously peaty.

Interesting, is that the smokey flavor from it then? Laphroaig 10 made me think I was smoking a cigarette with each sip.

Josh Wow posted:

Guess my tastebuds suck or my memory of what Nugget Nectar tastes like does. Interesting though, both had a citrus/pine flavor though Nugget Nectar came through a bit stronger. I do have a hard time picking grapefruit from pine sometimes though, except in Caldera's IPA I tasted nothing but grapefruit.

Also, those people are camping out to get KBS? I didn't know it was that big of a deal, I mean every bottle shop I know is going to be getting a few cases.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Don't know how many Lehigh Valley goons there are in this thread, but I never expected Black & Blue in Easton to still be around. Never could imagine a Monk's or Theresa's style bar working here, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

Interesting, is that the smokey flavor from it then? Laphroaig 10 made me think I was smoking a cigarette with each sip.

Yeah, peat in scotch kind of manifests itself as smoke and dirt, but in a very enjoyable way (somehow). Sort of like the funkier brett/lacto/pedio flavors that sound gross but make for an amazing beer.

Do a side by side of an Irish whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills and a scotch. The biggest difference (AFAIK) is that the Irish don't dry their malt over peat fires the way the Scots do, and the flavor difference is very obvious.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Yeah, peat in scotch kind of manifests itself as smoke and dirt, but in a very enjoyable way (somehow). Sort of like the funkier brett/lacto/pedio flavors that sound gross but make for an amazing beer.

Do a side by side of an Irish whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills and a scotch. The biggest difference (AFAIK) is that the Irish don't dry their malt over peat fires the way the Scots do, and the flavor difference is very obvious.

I'll have to try that, so I guess I might be wrong describing Johnny Walker Blue as peaty then? It definitely had an odd flavor while I found Black to be easier to drink.

Are there any Epic Brewing beers worth trying? They seem to have a list as huge as Sam Adams so it's hard to know what's good and what's not.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ahahahahaha jesus. I'm reading about people on BA getting to Founders at 5am and being too far back in line to get any KBS after they changed the limit to a half case per person.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sirotan posted:

Ahahahahaha jesus. I'm reading about people on BA getting to Founders at 5am and being too far back in line to get any KBS after they changed the limit to a half case per person.

Holy scheisse. Maybe beer releases aren't my type of thing after reading this post... I don't think I could wait in the cold that long for 1/2 case of beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

Holy scheisse. Maybe beer releases aren't my type of thing after reading this post... I don't think I could wait in the cold that long for 1/2 case of beer.

This is the rational response. That means there's nothing wrong with you.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Remember how I wasn't expecting to find good beer here? Last night we made a quick beer run, as one of my friends hadn't brought any for the first night. Lo and loving behold, La Folie in the cooler! Probably got ripped off hardcore ($18 seems like a lot) but I split the cost with a friend of mine so it wasn't so bad. Glad I did, though. Fan-loving-tastic, although I can't see myself drinking an entire bomber at once. And for the high price I doubt I will be picking up another bottle, but I'm very happy I got to give it a shot.

We're also right next to a bar that has Nugget Nectar and Matilda on tap for $4.20 a pint, and some amazing burgers to boot. Not bad, OC. Not bad at all.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo there are so many people at Hunahpus day this year.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Getting in line at 5am ain't poo poo, just stealth a flask, have a friend or two and any other small source of heat, waited 14 hours in 30 degree for my xbox 360 but hey I'm a goon. Idk if I would really do it for a beer though.

Beer: Ithaca Flower Power is good, ever since Kudos mentioned onions that's what I've been pulling from some IPAs :P, but I think that's just what citrus and hops taste like combined :iiam:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Jesus loving christ I'm glad I decided not to go.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Beer: Ithaca Flower Power is good, ever since Kudos mentioned onions that's what I've been pulling from some IPAs :P, but I think that's just what citrus and hops taste like combined :iiam:

Doh! I hope you don't get that flavor from too many good IPAs which you'd enjoy otherwise. I didn't get any onion flavor from Flower Power at all when I tried it, and it's one of my favorite IPAs.

Flower Power in general reminds me of :420:, not that the taste, or smell have a specific weed taste, but the overall essence of the beer just reminds me of it.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Doh! I hope you don't get that flavor from too many good IPAs which you'd enjoy otherwise. I didn't get any onion flavor from Flower Power at all when I tried it, and it's one of my favorite IPAs.

Flower Power in general reminds me of :420:, not that the taste, or smell have a specific weed taste, but the overall essence of the beer just reminds me of it.

Not at all man I still love it, this weed + flower power combo I got going owns right now :cheers:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sirotan posted:

This is the rational response. That means there's nothing wrong with you.

Agreed. If a special release is something like Dark Lord Day, with bands and special taps and beer nerds all bringing their own special stuff to share with friends and strangers alike, then I can see the appeal - DLD is worthwhile not because of Dark Lord so much as it is for the socializing. But from what I see, the KBS release is nothing but a bunch of poor saps waiting in line to buy beer, and then leaving with either empty hands or a bunch of beer to sell on eBay. Where is the joy in that? Where is the appreciation for beer and community?

I like being able to find special releases once in a while on my own, but I will not go out of my way for one unless there's a big social event around it that's worth my time. There are so many amazing beers in the world that it seems like a pointless waste to focus on hunting down special releases and "ticking" them. KBS is a great beer, but Old Rasputin and Victory Storm King are very close in quality, and a whole lot cheaper and easier to buy.

Kudosx posted:

I recently took part in an interesting discussion over whether "dank" constitutes a valid descriptor for beer flavor. I've always though "resinous" fits the bill just fine without sounding like dumb stoner talk, but I have to admit that there are some IPAs out there that do smell or taste a whole lot like weed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Remember how I wasn't expecting to find good beer here? Last night we made a quick beer run, as one of my friends hadn't brought any for the first night. Lo and loving behold, La Folie in the cooler! Probably got ripped off hardcore ($18 seems like a lot) but I split the cost with a friend of mine so it wasn't so bad.

That's actually not a terrible price for La Folie. I live in the same city as New Belgium and it's like $14-15 for a bomber locally.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Dank just means high quality. Antonym: schwaggy.

edit: La Folie is great. That's a bit pricey, but if you're up to spend it, you'll love the beer. Assuming you enjoy sour, sweet beer.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'll tell you what's more fun than that

It's visiting this joint and therefore finally hitting every single operational brewery in the Denver metro area! horrah! At times it felt like trying to hit every Starbucks, but.

(Favorites: Strange, Great Divide, Copper Kettle
Least favorite: Ironworks)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Vaguido posted:

At some point, this has got to give, right? It's ridiculous. It's just a beer (one that they release every year, too).

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Yeah, I was slightly okay with wasting like 7 hours because I didn't have any plans Saturday morning anyway, but it was obvious I would have been stuck there all day, so I'm just gonna take my chances and hope a store nearby will get some in (and that it will not disappear minutes after the store opens)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks for all the info guys, I just knew that beer store guy was full of poo poo. I don't really have anything against hops, I just really like malty, kind of sweet tastes like brown ale and dubbels. I mean, I really like them. My usual thing is to go to the local liquor store to build my own six pack and get two I like, two I think I'll like, and two that scare me a bit. It is working so far! I just tried a Flemish sour that seemed weird but tasted like heaven.

The Dogfish Head IPA on the other hand....tasted like lemon dishwater. You guys either have different taste buds than me, or you're masochists.

The funny thing is, I had a bud light the other day and it just tasted like carbonated water. I used to enjoy it, like, 3 months ago. I used to think that people that called it watery were snobs. But now its happening to me.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 11, 2012