Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I went to the KBS release - got there at 3:15 am and was number #267 in line. They decided to cut the allotment in half and didn't tell anybody until they passed out tickets at 10 am.

Unless Founders drastically changes the way they do their releases, I don't see myself going again. I had a great time - people in front and behind us were awesome and bottle shares were occurring throughout the night. I managed to try:

-Parabola
-Abacus
-Bourbon County Coffee
-Bourbon County Vanilla (!!!)
-Zombie Dust
-Imperial Stout Trooper
-Blushing Monk
-KBS '11

Founders has to do something about the turnout though. They need to go the Bruery or Three Floyds route and pre-sell a ticket to guarantee bottles or at the very least, pass out the numbers as people get in line instead of at 10 am. Waiting 10 hours for three 4-packs is ridiculous and while I had a great time, at this point I don't see myself going next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

BoredByThis posted:

Is anyone in Chicago picking up Pipeworks' first release of Ninja vs. Unicorn today? It goes on sale at WLV and Binny's Marcey St at 10am. I can't get there today, but I'll be looking for it elsewhere, mostly because the three dudes that comprise Pipeworks are all good dudes.

Late response to this: I got a bottle when I was shopping for beer the other day because of a friend who does all the beer buying for a certain large Chicago liquor store chain, and I'm sipping on it right now. It's a drat fine beer along the lines of Three Floyds Dreadnaught, with a huge pine/citrus aroma and a similar hop flavor. It's moderate in body, and extremely well balanced between the bitterness, hop flavor and malt sweetness. Not an earth-shattering beer, but a great starting point for a new brewery.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Dregs posted:

Thanks for all the info guys, I just knew that beer store guy was full of poo poo. I don't really have anything against hops, I just really like malty, kind of sweet tastes like brown ale and dubbels. I mean, I really like them. MI get two I like, two I think I'll like, and two that scare me a bit. It is working so far! I just tried a Flemish sour that seemed weird but tasted like heaven.

The Dogfish Head IPA on the other hand....tasted like lemon dishwater. You guys either have different taste buds than me, or you're masochists.

The funny thing is, I had a bud light the other day and it just tasted like carbonated water. I used to enjoy it, like, 3 months ago. I used to think that people that called it watery were snobs. But now its happening to me.

yeah, i hate IPAs, but i like sours, lambics, saisons, and all kinds of other poo poo the typical BMC drinker wouldn't touch- what does that make me? you like what you like, man, and considering how much goddamn money i've spent in beer shops the last two days, i wish i liked cheaper poo poo.

Tretyal
Aug 5, 2006

Corbet posted:

I went to the KBS release - got there at 3:15 am and was number #267 in line. They decided to cut the allotment in half and didn't tell anybody until they passed out tickets at 10 am.

On the other side of the fence, they cut the limit in half, and my brother and friends who waited in line since 7AM STILL didn't get to buy any bottles. Pretty bummed :(

They *really* need to increase production; they had a message the linked from their facebook saying next years batch is nearly 3x the size (85bbl instead of 30) but I think they need to go closer to 150 bbl honestly.

I couldn't make it today, but if the line was anything like the CBS line, it must have been good times.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I hate it when I get quoted and I murdered the grammar in a post. Since I am the only guy I know that likes trying out serious beers, I want to get your guys' opinions. I'll list my current favorites, and I would appreciate it if you could steer me in the direction of some beers to try. As long as they are common enough to get here in Atlanta.

Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale..this is what got me into beer in the first place. I ordered this for the hell of it at a wing place and it opened my eyes.

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout...This stuff is awesome, tonns better than the only other milk stout I tried, which was Duckrabbit.

Every single beer I have ever tried made by Spaten, especially their Optimator and Oktoberfest. These are what I usually have in the fridge, but I had to lay off the Optimator because it's making me fat(ter).

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Dregs posted:

The Dogfish Head IPA on the other hand....tasted like lemon dishwater. You guys either have different taste buds than me, or you're masochists.

Neither, Dogfish Head is terrible.

Do you happen to remember what the Flemish beer was?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'll gladly go and get my 4 pack of KBS at my leisure and enjoy them throughout the year(s), sucks to be the people who waited hours to get nothing. It's good being friends with beer managers so I don't have to worry about it. Speaking of beer managers I got a Pliny the Elder from one for nothing today other than being a loyal customer. It's a solid beer and I'm enjoying it, but I think I prefer sweeter IIPAs like Maharaja.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

I'll gladly go and get my 4 pack of KBS at my leisure and enjoy them throughout the year(s), sucks to be the people who waited hours to get nothing. It's good being friends with beer managers so I don't have to worry about it. Speaking of beer managers I got a Pliny the Elder from one for nothing today other than being a loyal customer. It's a solid beer and I'm enjoying it, but I think I prefer sweeter IIPAs like Maharaja.

I mean honestly Pliny the Elder just tastes like Stone Ruination anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion they're actually the same recipe.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Josh Wow posted:

I mean honestly Pliny the Elder just tastes like Stone Ruination anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion they're actually the same recipe.

Yeah, pretty much. Cool post!

I love Victory, Headwaters Pale Ale is fantastic.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Cool post!

Did I mention I know a BEER MANAGER :awesome: suck it plebes, waiting in line for your beer you might actually be able to differentiate from other beers.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hunahpu's was pretty slammed today. I didn't get there in time to get a wristband, but I stayed around, enjoyed some taps, and picked up half a case at the end. Everyone who worked for the brewery kept saying the people at the end of the line (which was pretty sizable when I left) weren't going to end up getting anything, and I'm sure the woman in line next to me who kept buying up the beer other people in line didn't want for themselves wasn't helping any. I wish I could have gotten there earlier to try some of the rare taps, and I'm kicking myself a little for not going ahead and buying a full case, but I'm happy with what I got.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Edited.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Hunahpu's was pretty slammed today. I didn't get there in time to get a wristband, but I stayed around, enjoyed some taps, and picked up half a case at the end. Everyone who worked for the brewery kept saying the people at the end of the line (which was pretty sizable when I left) weren't going to end up getting anything, and I'm sure the woman in line next to me who kept buying up the beer other people in line didn't want for themselves wasn't helping any. I wish I could have gotten there earlier to try some of the rare taps, and I'm kicking myself a little for not going ahead and buying a full case, but I'm happy with what I got.

Really? I thought for sure that they would run out far before case sales were on at 7:30 with how much busier it was than last year and the same bottle count. I pretty much peaced out right away after getting my five bottles (mule lyfe till the next lyfe). Seriously, there had to at least be five times the people there. I had plenty of delicious sour beers and otherwise expensive beers (5 bucks for an 8 oz pour of Angel's Share? Yes please), and left with a minimal sunburn. Didn't waste my time with any of the "rare" taps, there was plenty of great stuff to go around without waiting in that huge line for the aged Dark Lord. The sour beers went much better in the rather warm weather anyway. :cheers:

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 11, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
mmmm nugget nectar is so good. How I miss this beer late in the summer. Perfect BBQ ipa if it can last until then.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

deadwing posted:

Really? I thought for sure that they would run out far before case sales were on at 7:30 with how much busier it was than last year and the same bottle count.

From what I was hearing, they only gave out 1600 bracelets, so they had around 100 cases left when they started selling them. The line for case sales started a little after 5:00, and I wanted to make drat sure I didn't leave empty handed, so I was near the front. At least the sun wasn't an issue by then.

I'll probably try to make sure I get there earlier next year, even if it's just to grab a bracelet early and then go do something else for a while (assuming they use a similar system). Mostly though I just want to go back on a more typical day some time and try some beer in the tasting room without the huge crowd.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Neither, Dogfish Head is terrible.

That's not true. They take a shotgun approach to craft beer, and that can involve some incredible successes and incredible failures.

Speaking of, yesterday I got to share a bottle of both the Noble Rot and Red & White, the two recent "these are sort of wine" beers they put out. Noble Rot is mediocre. I tried treating it like a white wine and served it along with some cajun marinated catfish. To its credit, it stood up, but it didn't stand out.

I had the Red & White later that night, and actually thought it was something a little special. I might not buy a 12oz bottle of it, but if you get a chance to try it...it's tasty in sort of a weird way. I don't have a honed enough palette to give you horseblanket and catpiss estimates, but I thought it was interesting and tasty.

Neither Noble Rot or R&W actually made me think of wines, interestingly. What do other people think?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

That's not true. They take a shotgun approach to craft beer, and that can involve some incredible successes and incredible failures.

Speaking of, yesterday I got to share a bottle of both the Noble Rot and Red & White, the two recent "these are sort of wine" beers they put out. Noble Rot is mediocre. I tried treating it like a white wine and served it along with some cajun marinated catfish. To its credit, it stood up, but it didn't stand out.

I had the Red & White later that night, and actually thought it was something a little special. I might not buy a 12oz bottle of it, but if you get a chance to try it...it's tasty in sort of a weird way. I don't have a honed enough palette to give you horseblanket and catpiss estimates, but I thought it was interesting and tasty.

Neither Noble Rot or R&W actually made me think of wines, interestingly. What do other people think?

I agree 100% with everything you say. DFH takes chances and sometimes fails, which is fine. Noble Rot reminded me a lot of a bubbly pinot grigio wine and not of a beer at all, but I remember liking Red and White, I'll have to re-visit it.

Regardless, I agree DFH is not even close to terrible, they've done more for craft beer than people like to give them credit for.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

The Dregs posted:

Every single beer I have ever tried made by Spaten, especially their Optimator and Oktoberfest. These are what I usually have in the fridge, but I had to lay off the Optimator because it's making me fat(ter).

That's really interesting that you like Optimator so much since all of my friends and I hate it with a passion. To each his own I suppose :)

e: Also, :whatup: Atlanta goon

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Salvator supremacy. All hail Salvator.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Midorka posted:

I agree 100% with everything you say. DFH takes chances and sometimes fails, which is fine.

Dogfish head averages to "pretty good". I'm glad they experiment, but on other hand, I feel like they're dragging their feet a little with their "normal" beers. 60 and 90 Minute are OK, but they need to put more effort into the standards before they do all this hit-or-miss weird stuff. I had some 60 and 90 minute back during the holidays and didn't really like either of them very much (may be related to the time I had a 90 Min before coming down with stomach flu).

The Dregs posted:

Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale..this is what got me into beer in the first place. I ordered this for the hell of it at a wing place and it opened my eyes.

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout...This stuff is awesome, tonns better than the only other milk stout I tried, which was Duckrabbit.

Sounds like you prefer dark, malty beers. Try:

Left Hand Oktoberfest/Marzen
Left Hand Blackjack Porter
Left Hand Smokejumper
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Stout
Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter
Siberian Night Old Leg Humper robust porter
Sierra Nevada Stout
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Smuttynose Smuttonator
Smuttynose Baltic Porter
Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw
Brasserie des Rocs Brune (Abaye de Rocs)
Rochefort 8, Rochefort 10
Chimay Blue label
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Manky posted:

Personally I've never had anything from them that I'd consider an incredible success, though I have had some incredible failures.

More than anything what bugs me about DFH is paying above normal prices for Sam's test batches. He comes up with an idea, brews it, shoves it out the door all without any serious testing to see if the beer is actually good. Honestly, I don't think Sam, personally, cares about making Good Beer at all, I think he is only interested in making Different Beer and if that beer happens to be good or gross it's pretty much the same to him. I kind of respect that, ideologically, but I hate it when I want to buy great beer.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

More than anything what bugs me about DFH is paying above normal prices for Sam's test batches. He comes up with an idea, brews it, shoves it out the door all without any serious testing to see if the beer is actually good. Honestly, I don't think Sam, personally, cares about making Good Beer at all, I think he is only interested in making Different Beer and if that beer happens to be good or gross it's pretty much the same to him. I kind of respect that, ideologically, but I hate it when I want to buy great beer.

I think he cares. In 2010, Sam dumped an entire batch of 120 min IPA.

Sam Calagione posted:

With regards to the most recent batch of 120 Minute IPA, I am sorry to say that dozens of passionate people at Dogfish got out voted by millions of yeast cells and this batch will not be released. This batch came in a bit under attenuated and got dinged on our sensory panel for dislocated flavors.

Each and every batch of beer we brew at Dogfish Head goes through over 40 Quality Control check points and while this batch passed many of these check points we decided with the results of the final sensory panel, days before packaging, that we dont feel this batch of 120 Minute IPA is up to par.

We know that 120 Minute sells at a premium price and we know expectations for this beer are, and should be, high. It is brewed with over 30 times the volume of hops and over 7 times the volume of malt per barrel than your average light lager. It is aged for over 5 times as long as the average ale. So this is a really expensive beer to make. And a really expensive beer to lose.

That said,we are more interested in preserving our long-term reputation for quality than we are pacifying short term frustrations with not getting this batch out on a certain timeline. We are sorry and we hope you understand and support our decision.

We are confident we will have a great batch of 120 Minute IPA out before the end of the year.

Cheers - sam
http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/sam/sorry-to-say-the-120-is-not-on-the-way-yet.htm

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sublimer posted:

http://www.dogfish.com/community/blogfish/members/sam/sorry-to-say-the-120-is-not-on-the-way-yet.htm

Cue glib comment about "if DFH thinks it's under attenuated..."

In all seriousness I don't think anyone wants to rehash the whole Dogfish thing, so I'm sorry for picking the scab and I'll drop it. I apparently haven't vented enough, sorry.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 11, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Brewing crap beer is different from a beer having a technical flaw. In that case of the 120 Min, the beer just didn't brew. When they do their goofy one-off beers that get universal "meh" ratings, the chemical reactions aren't the problem. It's that they bring stuff to market without really working up a better recipe.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

CalvinDooglas posted:

Brewing crap beer is different from a beer having a technical flaw. In that case of the 120 Min, the beer just didn't brew. When they do their goofy one-off beers that get universal "meh" ratings, the chemical reactions aren't the problem. It's that they bring stuff to market without really working up a better recipe.

On the Dogfish reality show, they did an episode where they took a trip to Peru to learn about Chicha. They found the oldest chicha brewers they could, women who traced their methods back 4 or 5 generations and who were themselves in their 80s. Not a single one of those women had ever heard of anyone actually chewing the corn before fermenting it. But Sam insisted that they do it anyway. And then brewed some poo poo that was like 4x the ABV of the real thing. And, worst of all, he pretended he was actually being authentic in any way shape or form.

It's just such a dedication to always placing concept over execution.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Coming soon! I'm going to pick up a St. Bernadus ABT 12 and a Rochefort 10 and have a fun night when I get the West 12.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Midorka posted:

Coming soon! I'm going to pick up a St. Bernadus ABT 12 and a Rochefort 10 and have a fun night when I get the West 12.

Do we have dates yet for this?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Midorka posted:

Abt 12 :swoon:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

wattershed posted:

Do we have dates yet for this?

The guy who posted the picture is in Ireland, so I'm hoping the US gets it soon.

Edit: Side of the box

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 11, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I don't even want to know how insane prices on this are going to be. But I'm going to try my damnedest to get one.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
That set is going to be pretty pricy, right?

If I saw it at my local shop the price would really dictate whether or not I'd pick it up.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Someone said it cost them 50 euro. I heard around $60.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They're all going to get snatched up and resold on eBay for like $500 anyway, good luck getting one for retail value.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The pepper beer they have on at the DFH brewpub now is actually pretty good. But Sam had nothing to do with that, it was the winner of an employee contest.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sublimer posted:

They dumped a batch of 120 minute in 2011 also, cause it didn't pass Q.A.

They've lost a lot of money dumping 120 minute!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Sounds like you prefer dark, malty beers. Try:

I loving love you. I am printing this list out and putting it in my wallet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

On the Dogfish reality show, they did an episode where they took a trip to Peru to learn about Chicha. They found the oldest chicha brewers they could, women who traced their methods back 4 or 5 generations and who were themselves in their 80s. Not a single one of those women had ever heard of anyone actually chewing the corn before fermenting it.

That's simply not true. I torrented that episode, and the second woman they featured on the episode combines germinated corn with chewed corn in her chicha. DFH has enough things you can legitimately criticize it for without having to make poo poo up.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I don't know how many of you have access to Summit's lineup, but they released their new Unchained Series this week! This time its a dunkelweizen which I really enjoyed! If you aren't familiar with their Unchained beers, they basically let one of their brewers make whatever beer they want and they just started the second rotation through the brewers.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kudosx posted:

They dumped a batch of 120 minute in 2011 also, cause it didn't pass Q.A.

They've lost a lot of money dumping 120 minute!

whereas most people just lose about ten bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

funkybottoms posted:

whereas most people just lose about ten bucks

120 minute is one of the really highly regarded beers that I have no interest in trying. I've heard far too many bad things, and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of them and end up not liking the beer.