Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
gently caress YOU TRAVELING JOB!

Churchkey:

https://www.facebook.com/events/223690627728650/

SURLY DRAFT LIST
DARKNESS 2011 / Russian Imperial Stout
FIVE / 5th Anniversary 100% Brettanomyces-fermented Dark Ale matured in Red Wine barrels
SMOKE / Smoked Baltic Porter matured in oak barrels
MILD / Special Session Ale of 4%
ABRASIVE / Double Oat India Pale Ale
FURIOUS / India Pale Ale
CYNIC-ALE / Saison
COFFEE BENDER / Oatmeal Brown Ale with Coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress YOU TRAVELING JOB!

yeah, i missed my friend's annual Stout Day by being in New Orleans. not a big deal, except for multiple Dark Lords, Baller Stout (that he got for playing DLD), multiple Bourbon County variants, Hunahpu, Black Tuesday, and a ton of poo poo i can't determine from people's crummy pictures.... sigh.

my crack on DFH 120 was mostly just me beating people to the punch; i have no personal animosity towards the beer because it's not a style i enjoy anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Let's Talk Beer #87162865123: Still loving Arguing About Dogfish Head Twice a Month

For actual content, New Belgium's Blue Paddle is a good session beer I haven't given enough of a chance. Colorado has hit a beautiful warm spell (I'm awaiting the inevitable foot of snow I know is coming at least twice before the nice weather sticks) and Blue Paddle is refreshing as hell. I feel like they must have improved it a bit because Ratebeer is full of poo poo like "tastes like a can of corn" ('sup DMS) and I also had bad memories but decided to give it another shot. It's a nice, hoppy, all-malt pilsner with very strong carbonation that goes down real smooth at a lowly 4.8% ABV.

It's not mind blowingly awesome but I really enjoy it as a daily drinker. And at like $8 vs $11 for Prima Pils out here, I'll take New Belguim's offering.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Docjowles posted:

It's not mind blowingly awesome but I really enjoy it as a daily drinker. And at like $8 vs $11 for Prima Pils out here, I'll take New Belguim's offering.

I know it isn't cool to like New Belgium in here, but the consistency of their beer is pretty amazing. I still like their Tripel better than Allagash's :colbert:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't think there's been much New Belgium hate at all, other than universal agreement that Fat Tire sucks. I guess since that's their flagship, that reflects kind of poorly on them. But it funds La Folie, Le Terroir (:swoon:) and all sorts of great Lips of Faith experiments.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

I don't think there's been much New Belgium hate at all, other than universal agreement that Fat Tire sucks. I guess since that's their flagship, that reflects kind of poorly on them. But it funds La Folie, Le Terroir (:swoon:) and all sorts of great Lips of Faith experiments.

...I like Fat Tire. I mean, it's not the best beer ever, but it's certainly not worthy of hate.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Phanatic posted:

That's simply not true. I torrented that episode, and the second woman they featured on the episode combines germinated corn with chewed corn in her chicha. DFH has enough things you can legitimately criticize it for without having to make poo poo up.

I'll watch it again and see. Their crap was a million miles different from the authentic one either way, but I could be misremembering that part.

e- how did I forget that? Ok I was totally wrong. Sam's method was dumb and different and everything about his brew was stupid, but that old lady for sure chewed her corn.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Munkaboo posted:

Churchkey:

SURLY DRAFT LIST

Hell yeah, I'm bee lining downtown right after work tomorrow. I really want to try Five and Abrasive.

Sitting at Meridian Pint right now and I like that almost all their 4oz pours are cheaper than Churchkey. Very solid selection too.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Kudosx posted:

120 minute is one of the really highly regarded beers that I have no interest in trying. I've heard far too many bad things, and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of them and end up not liking the beer.

I don't get why it's highly regarded at all. I gave Midorka a hard time about the same thing with his expensive lambic, but the 120 Min is one of those beers that people will just suck up and finish, even if they know it sucks. Nobody wants to be the guy that doesn't "get" an expensive, hyped beer. Even when it's objectively terrible people will say "hmm yes I can see the appeal" instead of saying what they really think.

Docjowles posted:

I think it's fair to say they don't rely heavily on the flagship beer. They have tons of seasonals and year rounds on tap and in stores, it's pretty easy to try lots of New Belgium without touching Fat Tire. They really are like Sam Adams of the West.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 12, 2012

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't get why it's highly regarded at all. I gave Midorka a hard time about the same thing with his expensive lambic, but the 120 Min is one of those beers that people will just suck up and finish, even if they know it sucks. Nobody wants to be the guy that doesn't "get" an expensive, hyped beer. Even when it's objectively terrible people will say "hmm yes I can see the appeal" instead of saying what they really think.

It is a bizarre thing about craft beer culture.

I'd rather just grab a 10$ St Bernardus than waste my time on a more expensive beer I don't enjoy.

I'll try any beer once, but I'm not going to keep drinking it because it's chic.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

I drain poured mine. Yuck.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I know we go through this every few weeks, but this time around seems to be more retarded than usual.

My sister used to be a pastry chef, and is a major foodie. She's a wine person, doesn't give a poo poo about beer. She couldn't care less about how hyped or expensive a beer is. And she really doesn't like beers where hops are the principal flavor. She'd loving *hate* Pliny the Younger if she had it. But she likes other beers, she's a big fan of big malty boozebombs; Bourbon-barrel Angel's Share and Gouden Carolous Cuvée Van De Keizer blue are probably her two favorite beers.

She *really likes* 120. First time she tried it she said that it was more like a tawny port than a beer.

Maybe lay off the "That beer is objectively terrible and people who like it are subhuman CHUDs" for a bit.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Drinking my first Sierra Nevada. Heard good things about Torpedo so I bought a 12 and :15bux: is a great price for this well balanced IPA, and it's a nice 7% to boot. A+ would buy again

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I think it's fair to say they don't rely heavily on the flagship beer. They have tons of seasonals and year rounds on tap and in stores, it's pretty easy to try lots of New Belgium without touching Fat Tire. They really are like Sam Adams of the West.

I unironically like Samuel Adams (the regular Boston Lager) too.

I haven't had 120 minute, but mostly because I'm not going to go look for it when I don't even like 90 Minute all that much. (I don't *hate* 90m, I just don't really care for it)

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Drinking 21st Bitter american right now... it could be the 2nd 21st beer I really enjoy. Nowhere near as good as Monk's Blood, but ... yeah. It's a very solid offering from them. I like the can too.

Picked up a 6 pack of Sculpin IPA and a "collaboration not litigation ale" today as well from RR/Avery.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

Coming soon! I'm going to pick up a St. Bernadus ABT 12 and a Rochefort 10 and have a fun night when I get the West 12.

That box looks like it should hold some sort of medieval-themed board game.

BTW, didn't you say that you disliked the St. Bernardus Abt 12?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I unironically like Samuel Adams (the regular Boston Lager) too.

Sam Adams makes mostly good stuff. It's a drat sight better than any adjunct lager.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Sam Adams makes mostly good stuff. It's a drat sight better than any adjunct lager.

Sam Adams, New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are all a lot of people's entry into craft beer and thus inevitably tend to get poo poo-ed a bit once people get a little deeper. Fact is they all make good to great beers all the time.

I just discovered SN bottled Hoptimum. Praise god.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Sam Adams Boston Lager is not really my favorite, but I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I could drink it all the time, it's so drat good. In fact I haven't had one in a while and just thinking about it makes me want one.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

deadwing posted:

Really? I thought for sure that they would run out far before case sales were on at 7:30 with how much busier it was than last year and the same bottle count. I pretty much peaced out right away after getting my five bottles (mule lyfe till the next lyfe). Seriously, there had to at least be five times the people there. I had plenty of delicious sour beers and otherwise expensive beers (5 bucks for an 8 oz pour of Angel's Share? Yes please), and left with a minimal sunburn. Didn't waste my time with any of the "rare" taps, there was plenty of great stuff to go around without waiting in that huge line for the aged Dark Lord. The sour beers went much better in the rather warm weather anyway. :cheers:

We had plenty of beer for the first run-through of bottle sales. Still 1000 bottles left once the bottle limit was raised.

The event was pretty badass. Over 5,000 people attended, slightly exceding our expectations of 1,500-2,000. Highlight for me was tapping Oak-aged Dark Lord at 9am and trying it :smug: No actually it was Wakefield's sours. Amazing every time.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
so, checked out NO's Cork & Bottle and, while the shop itself is much nicer than Stein Market, the selection isn't half as good. felt kinda bad for the clueless clerk mispronouncing the gently caress out of a couple things i asked about, but it turns out "the beer guy (wasn't) in," and he was fairly nice, so whatever. the other highlight is the Avenue Pub, which is a legit beer nerd destination. the woman who runs (owns?) the place is super cool, and even on a fairly busy Saturday night the place was neither too crowded nor too rowdy. decent food, too, but unfortunately you might have to deal with some smokers (even when i smoked i preferred to go outside). whoever said to try the Nola Irish Channel Stout was right, poo poo was more than decent, but the Lazy Magnolia stuff i tried was pretty bland. the highlight for me was definitely Djaevlebryg Gudelos, which reminded me a bit of Mission's Dark Seas, but with a little bit of a fruit/spice flavor to it.

edit: i take part of that back- Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan is good enough that i might snag a six-pack.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 12, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I just discovered SN bottled Hoptimum. Praise god.

I missed out on it last year, eager to try some this year

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

I meet people regularly to whom Fat Tire is literally the name of the brewery. If I ask if they mean New Belgium, they're like, "who?". I'm sure there are many thousands of people in Boston who'd be surprised to learn there are Sam Adams beers outside of "Sam", "Sam Lite", "Sam Summer" and maybe Oktoberfest. I think it might be the Beer Geek Blinder thing again. We know New Belgium puts out a shitload of beers, but the one tap they get at Applebees or whatever the gently caress is Fat Tire, not La Folie or Ranger or Tripel.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I meet people regularly to whom Fat Tire is literally the name of the brewery. If I ask if they mean New Belgium, they're like, "who?".

One time I had a bartender completely flip out on me and was dead set on proving that New Belgium was a Belgium-based brewery :v:

Had a Jolly Pumpkin Maracaibo Especial, wasn't impressed. I think if it had more orange peel/citrus, the tartness could have worked better with the cacao. I kinda feel like the sour flavor was an after thought.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I meet people regularly to whom Fat Tire is literally the name of the brewery. If I ask if they mean New Belgium, they're like, "who?". I'm sure there are many thousands of people in Boston who'd be surprised to learn there are Sam Adams beers outside of "Sam", "Sam Lite", "Sam Summer" and maybe Oktoberfest. I think it might be the Beer Geek Blinder thing again. We know New Belgium puts out a shitload of beers, but the one tap they get at Applebees or whatever the gently caress is Fat Tire, not La Folie or Ranger or Tripel.

The Applebee's and On the Border here have Ranger. :smug:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I tried Spiral Jetty tonight by Epic. Not sure if anyone else has had it, but I thought it was pretty terrible.

Thankfully, I tried it over at a friends house who just brewed some beer at The Brew Kettle, and his beer was much better!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That box looks like it should hold some sort of medieval-themed board game.

BTW, didn't you say that you disliked the St. Bernardus Abt 12?

It's not that I disliked ABT 12, I just opened it at a bad time and found myself "forcing" this thick malty beer down my throat at a rate faster than sipping. I'm going to buy it again and re-visit it when I get the Westy 12 box.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Docjowles posted:

Yeah, very true. The concept of a brewery producing a diaspora of quality styles is lost on the American public. Most of them think variety is Bud, Bud Select, Bud Ice, Bud Light ("WHAT VARIETY!!" :fsmug:)

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is :swoon:

It was basically a beer milkshake: Rich, smooth and creamy. drat shame the weather's going to be far too hot to drink stuff like this in just a few weeks.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Sam Adams Boston Lager is not really my favorite, but I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I could drink it all the time, it's so drat good. In fact I haven't had one in a while and just thinking about it makes me want one.

I just had a Sierra Nevada PA this weekend and it tasted like unsweetened honey. So so so good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Forget horse blanket, I just heard the latest descriptor for hops kudos to these idiots behind me at Churchkey. Apparently cat piss is the most accurate description for Furious on cask and beers like Hopslam.

I don't want to know how a cat has peed in your mouth. :psyduck:

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

air- posted:

Forget horse blanket, I just heard the latest descriptor for hops kudos to these idiots behind me at Churchkey. Apparently cat piss is the most accurate description for Furious on cask and beers like Hopslam.

I don't want to know how a cat has peed in your mouth. :psyduck:

Guess you missed the cat piss talk at the beginning of the thread

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I still don't get what in any beer could remind a person of cat piss. I have smelled lots of cat piss, and none of it reminded me of any beer.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

the highlight for me was definitely Djaevlebryg Gudelos, which reminded me a bit of Mission's Dark Seas, but with a little bit of a fruit/spice flavor to it.

Ohhhh yeahhh I remembered a guy bought it to a Houston bottle share once and I thought much the same about it.

Maybe now that the laws are relaxed in TX we'll get more crap like this which we (for now) have to goto LA to pick up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I still don't get what in any beer could remind a person of cat piss. I have smelled lots of cat piss, and none of it reminded me of any beer.

I know exactly what he's getting at, I don't remember which one it was, but it was a limited brew from Victory, and it smelled exactly like cat piss, that harsh ammoniac tang that you pick up when you walk into the house of an old lady with too many cats (Okay, one is too many).

Tasted far, far better than it smelled, but the aroma was offputting.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I get the cat piss smell from some IPAs that use both Columbus and Simcoe as aroma hops, most notably Sweetwater's IPA. It doesn't smell exactly like cat piss but it's very reminiscent of it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I bought a sixpack of Bigfoot Barleywine to cellar, and cracked one open to get a feel for it fresh. This...was a mistake. I'm sure it will be great after a year or two but god drat, right now it is intense. Somehow way too bitter and way too sweet at the same time, big syrupy body. At 9.6% it leaves noticeable legs on the glass. I've had some barleywines I enjoy fresh but so far this one is not doing it for me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I bought a sixpack of Bigfoot Barleywine to cellar, and cracked one open to get a feel for it fresh. This...was a mistake. I'm sure it will be great after a year or two but god drat, right now it is intense. Somehow way too bitter and way too sweet at the same time, big syrupy body. At 9.6% it leaves noticeable legs on the glass. I've had some barleywines I enjoy fresh but so far this one is not doing it for me.

So how long should I sit on this Sucaba? I'm not much of a Barleywine honk, but I bought one anyways since "ooooh box"

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I tried Spiral Jetty tonight by Epic. Not sure if anyone else has had it, but I thought it was pretty terrible.

Thankfully, I tried it over at a friends house who just brewed some beer at The Brew Kettle, and his beer was much better!

It was likely old... I love fresh Spiral Jetty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Docjowles posted:

It's funny you say this. I love bigfoot all ways, but I really enjoy it fresh. I'm drinking one right now and while it is intensely hoppy, the malt sweetness really helps it out. I don't find it syrupy though, to me stuff like Alaskan, Gratitude, and any barrel aged one is much more syrupy.

@ Grimace - You can drink Abacus fresh. It's not that intense since it has already mellowed out in the barrel.