Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Seriously, Atlantis is great, Sheppard is awesome and if you don't like it you don't like Stargate. It had a lot of dumb stuff from time to time, but it has the same fun heart of SG-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Atlantis a good show?

Yes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Atlantis does genuinely improve over time, starting with the second season, eventually matching and maybe surpassing SG:1. But then they also bring in a new noble savage who is essentially a more blindly aggressive, monosylabic, Teal'c with none of the character depth.
They do the same thing in SG: Universe, except by that point the noble savage has devolved into what is essentially the master's loyal but barely restrained attack dog.

It really is repugnant when you stop and look at it.

I think you could make an argument that Greer consciously chooses to be that way because being a blindly loyal soldier allows him to avoid having to deal with this own inner demons.

Teal'C had a bit of that going on, as well.

There's no excuse for Ronon, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Greer was awesome and once we got his backstory he was even more awesome.

Dude just wanted to shoot things man!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't care what anyone says but Ronon is awesome if only for the episode where McKay saves his life and he walks up to him all stern and poo poo then smiles and gives him a big ol' hug.

Vertigo One
Mar 29, 2010
I dunno, I recently finished up bulldozing through SG1 again on netflix, and just started SGU for the first time. I tried really hard to get into Atlantis when it was starting on TV, but the dialogue seemed pretty bad to me. I only watched 4 or 5 episodes, but Mckay's smarmy sarcasm and whining were just too grating, and none of the other characters seemed memorable. Is it really worth trying? Is the general consensus that it ACTUALLY gets better than SG1 at its best?

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I liked Ronon, especially the episode with him and Teal'c kicking rear end on midway together. His interactions with Teal'c were great in that episode too. Stargate is a fun show, it can do serious but is the best when it doesn't take itself seriously. SG:U was a serious take, and that didn't start too well.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

fuzzi posted:

I dunno... it's campy cheesy sci-fi. Some people enjoy it and some people don't but it sounds like Stargate isn't really the franchise for you. Atlantis doesn't get less cheesy so you should probably stop now.

The thing is, I really enjoyed Farscape, which is about as campy as cheesy as they come. Half the plots reminded me of stuff you'd pretend as a child running around in the back yard, just with adult intentions and themes mixed in. But it was imaginative, fun, and the characters, while petty, were constantly playing each other to get what they wanted. Atlantis, on the other hand, has Weir and Sheppard being juvenile and bullheaded, but rather than there being an interpersonal struggle between the main characters they just condescend to everyone else with a "if you don't like it you can get out" :clint: attitude which is vindicated by the obtuse writing no matter how unreasonable and preposterous.

I'm giving Atlantis until the end of season 2 to improve, though, since the consensus is that it gets better.

I've heard people complain about the last few seasons of SG-1, but apart from the Orai plotline being awful I'm enjoying season 9, if only because Ben Browder seems to enjoy the part no matter the quality of the story.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Weir is essentially a less hateful Janeway. A lot of that is down to the writing, but some of the blame has to fall on casting. The second Weir wasn't a patch on the first, she couldn't convey any of the authority, intellect, or charm that the character was meant to have in abundance.

While I really enjoyed my marathon of SG:A last year, I got the feeling that they would have loved to have been making Farscape, but just couldn't bring themselves to pull far enough out of the Star Trek-esque rut the franchise had fallen into to let loose.
By the time SG:U rolled around they were clearly determined to make a gritty and grim series, but again were stuck in an almost Enterprise style 'safe' mindset until far too late to save the programme.

Personally I thought Ben Browder, and Claudia Black for that matter, were great in SG1. They brought a lot of energy to a flagging and flabby (it's spelt O'Neill, with XXLs) series.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 14, 2012

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I'm terribly embarrassed, I cared so little for Weirs character that this is the first I'm hearing that there was more than one Weir actress.

Like, seriously, they used multiple actresses?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The SG-1 episode that setup Atlantis had one actor then on the actual Atlantis series they ended up using someone else.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There was like three, first two were in maybe one or two episodes in SG-1. She took over for about two hours before hammond came back. Really doesnt matter too much since she's never mentioned again till Atlantis.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

There was like three, first two were in maybe one or two episodes in SG-1. She took over for about two hours before hammond came back. Really doesnt matter too much since she's never mentioned again till Atlantis.

Yes, the Lost City, the episode of SG-1 that immediately led into Atlantis.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I think it was one of those situations where the initial choice for the role turned out to be terrible to work with, so they scrambled and got a replacement.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

zVxTeflon posted:

The SG-1 episode that setup Atlantis had one actor then on the actual Atlantis series they ended up using someone else.

There's also the third actress they used for replicator-Weir.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flatscan posted:

There's also the third actress they used for replicator-Weir.

She'll always be Fran to me.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

The Dark One posted:

I think it was one of those situations where the initial choice for the role turned out to be terrible to work with

Was THAT what it was?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vertigo One posted:

I dunno, I recently finished up bulldozing through SG1 again on netflix, and just started SGU for the first time. I tried really hard to get into Atlantis when it was starting on TV, but the dialogue seemed pretty bad to me. I only watched 4 or 5 episodes, but Mckay's smarmy sarcasm and whining were just too grating, and none of the other characters seemed memorable. Is it really worth trying? Is the general consensus that it ACTUALLY gets better than SG1 at its best?

No, Atlantis is never better than SG1's best. It's better than SG1's worst, but it's hard not to be better than the Ori arc.

Atlantis is a cheesier show, but once you accept that it's smooth sailing. Season 1 is a bit ropey because it's still trying to play it straight, but once McKay and Sheppard start riffing off each other more and they retool the Wraith a bit it gets a lot more fun.

Also the space corn. :catdrugs:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

There's no excuse for Ronon, though.

Ronon just wants to kill Wraith and gently caress poo poo up. There's literally nothing else to his character, yet he's still more dynamic and interesting than Teyla.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

No, Atlantis is never better than SG1's best. It's better than SG1's worst, but it's hard not to be better than the Ori arc.

Atlantis is a cheesier show, but once you accept that it's smooth sailing. Season 1 is a bit ropey because it's still trying to play it straight, but once McKay and Sheppard start riffing off each other more and they retool the Wraith a bit it gets a lot more fun.

Also the space corn. :catdrugs:

Space corn was SG1, not Atlantis.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It makes more sense if you remember that SG1 was supposed to be cancelled in favor of Atlantis.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still firmly believe that if they canceled SG1 when Atlantis started, and then continued the SG1 story in a show called Stargate Command (as initially proposed), it would have went on much longer.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Atlantis is great, if only because of Sheppard and McKay. Their interactions were always hilarious. I think it worked because Sheppard is also written to be crazy smart, but is just less educated. It's a much better setup than stupid hero with genius sidekick that is all too common.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I still firmly believe that if they canceled SG1 when Atlantis started, and then continued the SG1 story in a show called Stargate Command (as initially proposed), it would have went on much longer.

What would the point of that show be?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

It would basically be SG1 without the name. They wanted to due it since the team has changed so drastically.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Is there any reason that O'Neill, Sheppard and Mitchell are all pilots? As in, do the creators of the show have some personal reason for having an obsession with them? For such a military-fetishistic show, I'd expect them to choose a background more appropriate for the job of an SG team (like Army SF), rather than pilots who have minimal training in small unit tactics, ground combat, diplomacy with local populations, etc.

tenh19
Jul 11, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

Is there any reason that O'Neill, Sheppard and Mitchell are all pilots? As in, do the creators of the show have some personal reason for having an obsession with them? For such a military-fetishistic show, I'd expect them to choose a background more appropriate for the job of an SG team (like Army SF), rather than pilots who have minimal training in small unit tactics, ground combat, diplomacy with local populations, etc.

I believe O'Neill was a AF Special Operations as well. I vaguely recall him saying he did Special Ops in the 80s, and I know that in the alternate timeline in Continuum, he was in Special Operations.

Although, just chalk it up to flyboy envy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

O'Neill worked for the Phoenix Foundation in the 80s.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

tenh19 posted:

I believe O'Neill was a AF Special Operations as well. I vaguely recall him saying he did Special Ops in the 80s, and I know that in the alternate timeline in Continuum, he was in Special Operations.

Although, just chalk it up to flyboy envy.

There was that one episode where they got stuck in virtual reality and O'Neill had to relive an assault where most of his squad got killed. So he was a special forces dude.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kurt Russell was a suicidal airman in the original movie, so I guess they just decided to carry it over to the show.

I mean, SCG is also run by the Air force.

The show even got some award by the air force for the portroyal of airmen and the airforce in general. They even had a couple of actual generals in cameo appearences.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

Wasn't it going to be sort of a West Wing-ish thing about the Stargate program going public and dealing with all of that?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The united states military is a mess of self-sufficiency and mercantilism. I appreciate the implied expediency of just letting the Airforce continue to have the program after they happened to figure out how to make their big dumb inscrutable cyberhoop work.

But I think it would have been funny if they had done a one-shot episode with an SG team comprised of a super hyperbolic joint task force, with a big stupid Marine muscle guy and a campy Navy EOD mechanic and a scrawny Airforce physisict and a wildcard Army Ranger.

Plus someone from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps. Played by Claudia Black.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Breakfast All Day posted:

I don't think O'Neill was a pilot though? Carter was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

I don't think O'Neill was a pilot though? Carter was.

They were all air force outside people like Daniel

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 16, 2012

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I always assumed it's because they were the best of the best pilots, which means they are really pretty drat intelligent people. I also always thought that actual Special Forces like the SAS (Rangers, Delta, lol) were pretty drat smart in their own right, and that when you are talking about people of that caliber the line blurs - a special ops soldier is definitely someone that you could reasonably expect to be a pilot as well.

Mind and body.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eikre posted:

The united states military is a mess of self-sufficiency and mercantilism. I appreciate the implied expediency of just letting the Airforce continue to have the program after they happened to figure out how to make their big dumb inscrutable cyberhoop work.

But I think it would have been funny if they had done a one-shot episode with an SG team comprised of a super hyperbolic joint task force, with a big stupid Marine muscle guy and a campy Navy EOD mechanic and a scrawny Airforce physisict and a wildcard Army Ranger.

Plus someone from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps. Played by Claudia Black.

They had Marines with them a few times. I think one of the earlier episodes O'neill suggests to Daniel that they go through the gate first because if his wifes on the other end the marines would just shoot the gently caress outta her.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

MrBling posted:

Kurt Russell was a suicidal airman in the original movie, so I guess they just decided to carry it over to the show.

I mean, SCG is also run by the Air force.

The show even got some award by the air force for the portroyal of airmen and the airforce in general. They even had a couple of actual generals in cameo appearences.

Generals? Hell, the secretary of the air force was in one. :)

And Dicky Anderson is an honorary brigadier general, thanks to SG1.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bobkatt013 posted:

They were all air force outside people like Daniel

Yes I know that, but that doesn't mean they were all pilots. The majority of the air force isn't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The USAF seems to be an official sponsor of the show which explains why the air force runs everything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The USAF seems to be an official sponsor of the show which explains why the air force runs everything.

The Air Force ran everything in the movie, too. I think they got that afterwards, for not portraying the military as hackneyed villains like every other everything that isn't a war movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The Air Force ran everything in the movie, too. I think they got that afterwards, for not portraying the military as hackneyed villains like every other everything that isn't a war movie.

Just like a Michael Bay movie, as long as you're portraying the military in a positive light they'll give you support.