Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Seconding the recommendation, I started the thread skeptical. Everyone was telling me it was like Phoenix Wright but I was initially unimpressed.

Then, before I knew it, I spent 2 or 3 hours glued to the lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a good time to recommend it because Oren's going on a multi-week vacation and won't be updating again for quite a while. :v:

Suffer like the rest of us!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

slowbeef posted:

Dongan Ronpa LP

Yeah, I'm also going to recommend this LP. It's fun, suspenseful, and it will surprise you.

Also, it's called "Dangan Ronpa" not "Dongan Ronpa" :ssh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

Also, it's called "Dangan Ronpa" not "Dongan Ronpa" :ssh:

This thread just has dongs on the brain lately!!! :v:

dongs.exe is pretty much the absolute pinnacle of 2007-style LP. Don't expect polish or insight. Or editing. Watch it all in one session. Watch the little cat man die again and again. Watch it late at night while severely sleep-deprived and amped-up on caffeine. Let yourself slide into insanity.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You might want to skip the thread for just the updates in Dangan Ronpa, though, I've had to hang up on the thread about 3 times at this point because people get so self-righteous, blatantly racist, and defensive regarding their pet theories that I'm embarrassed just reading it.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I gotta Nth the recommendation on Dangan Ronpa. The LP initially interested me in that Oren is translating the game himself. That alone gave enough interest to see what it's about.

It starts off with a rather interesting premise, and just picks up steam and gets more amazing as it continues along.

This game would be well worth buying, and it's a shame that it's only in japanese, because the story and the characters are just fantastic. If you like adventure games, or just want to check out a really good story, you owe it to yourself to give the LP a look.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

You might want to skip the thread for just the updates in Dangan Ronpa, though, I've had to hang up on the thread about 3 times at this point because people get so self-righteous, blatantly racist, and defensive regarding their pet theories that I'm embarrassed just reading it.

What an appropriate post for the LP Recommendations thread. Also, thanks for using the report button and helping out with that!

OH WAIT

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
I dunno, a thread being unpleasant to read is I think relevant to a recommendation.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

slowbeef posted:

What an appropriate post for the LP Recommendations thread. Also, thanks for using the report button and helping out with that!

OH WAIT

I was actually gonna back him up on his statement. Some threads are simply unpleasant to read, report button or no. I'll usually just skip a thread and follow the OP if I feel it necessary, and I tell others to do the same.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

slowbeef posted:

OH WAIT
Hey, just saying, I did use the report button on bullshit posts in that thread and nobody followed up. I concluded that you and the other mods didn't have a problem with them so I stopped bothering you! Imagine that, a someone taking a goddamn hint!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Captain Frigate posted:

I dunno, a thread being unpleasant to read is I think relevant to a recommendation.

...Alright, that's fair. Maybe I overreacted a little... but I do get "That thread sucks, just saying off-handedly." "Did you report it?" "No."

I'll bring it up with the other mods, and see if somebody got there first or whatever.

All the reports from that thread I remember have to do with spoilers and a transphobic comment that was edited out, and the poster apologized. I don't remember any racist reports from there.

edit: Actually, there were a couple of creepers Zorak and I banned too. If people really are being racist, report them again.

Alright, Coolguye, fair enough - if you report poo poo in that thread, I won't assume you're being a jerk or something.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Frankly, I just assume everyone uses ? to read SSLPs.

But my take on it is since this thread has been around forever and most recommendations for threads end up going to the archive not the actual thread, comments about the non-LP content in the thread is probably pretty irrelevant and therefore probably shouldn't be mentioned in here (unless it's affecting the LP itself, like 'FORD THE RIVER' posts in the Oregon Trail thread or something).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Proteus4994 posted:

But my take on it is since this thread has been around forever and most recommendations for threads end up going to the archive not the actual thread, comments about the non-LP content in the thread is probably pretty irrelevant and therefore probably shouldn't be mentioned in here (unless it's affecting the LP itself, like 'FORD THE RIVER' posts in the Oregon Trail thread or something).
While this is true, the discussion is a significant part of the thread experience at the moment. It's a mystery game, so obviously people want to discuss the mystery. Hell, this was significantly helped earlier on by the fact that most people had no clue what was happening, due to it being a japanese only game (this has changed for the worse as the LP has gone on). If you're reading the LP, you feel obligated to keep up with the theories, ideas, and details floating around. When the thread's good, this is fine. When the thread dips into the area Coolguye mentioned, it's terrible.

The thread oscillates heavily in quality, which is unfortunate because following and participating in the discussion has previously been an enjoyable factor in the experience.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

There's no one who suffered more than me the times the thread went to poo poo, but I honestly don't think it's that bad most of the time. I tend to stay away from any controversy that happens unless it's a blatant spoiler, and usually things get sorted out pretty quickly.

But really, I just want more people to enjoy this fantastic little game, and I'm happy people like my awkward translation, whether they read the rest of the thread or not.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I'd like to recommend toddy's LP of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Ys III is the black sheep of the Ys series, with subpar gameplay, odd design decisions, and hilariously bad voice acting. Oath in Felghana is a remake of the original Ys III that does everything better. toddy is showing off the differences between the PSP and PC versions of the game, including the voice acting Xseed added into the PSP release, and is doing a fantastic job of showing off the game.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
:bandwagon: Just read through the Dangan Ronpa thread - stayed up past 3AM reading until I couldn't make out the words, then read all through my 8:30 classes. Amazing, gripping thread so far, can't wait to see what happens next. I did start skipping the walls of sperging and speculation, but the occasional nice commentary, fanart or analysis filtered through. If you can't stand goons, then the mass of posters will be a turn off, but read this drat LP.

C... fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 22, 2012

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

C... posted:

:bandwagon: Just read through the Dangan Ronpa thread - stayed up past 3AM reading until I couldn't make out the words, then read all through my 8:30 classes.

Holy hell I just marathoned through over 200 pages of this LP.

I love you all for bringing this to my attention and hate you because I'm supposed to be working on term paper stuff right now. :stare:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Proteus4994 posted:

Just wanted to revisit this, but I can't actually do this for most SSLPs. I'm doing everything from a crappy laptop that I've had forever, and the necessary tools for LPing bog it down so much that using ? is basically suicide. So if I don't feel like reading a thread, I'm basically at the mercy of the OP to keep his/her table of contents updated.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What is the ? you speak of, or am I reading something wrong?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Pierzak posted:

Check the little box underneath a person's avatar. there should be a small '?' that will show you all of that person's posts in a thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

^^ - Beat

Pierzak posted:

The link on the lower-left hand side of each post, next to the # emblem. It filters based on the poster.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, I thought it was that but I confused it with #. I was actually looking for it.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Metroixer posted:

Seconding the recommendation, I started the thread skeptical. Everyone was telling me it was like Phoenix Wright but I was initially unimpressed.

Then, before I knew it, I spent 2 or 3 hours glued to the lp.

More like 22-23.

I feel like I've been underwater the last few days and am just now coming back up for air. This game is such a breath of fresh air, games aren't art my rear end.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Kaubocks' VLP for Half-Minute Hero

I like this LP because Kaubocks is showing everything off, edits things nicely, and knows when to let the game do the talking. I wouldn't have watched this LP if I didn't read this comment in the sandcastle:

Waffleman_ posted:

This game is like Final Fantasy and WarioWare had a hilarious baby. :allears:

That got me interested! It's not the kind of thread that generates much discussion, so people might have missed it or passed it over not knowing what it was. But it's really good!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

It's not the kind of thread that generates much discussion
You're telling me! Though to be fair it's a very simple game that does a well enough job of speaking for itself so it's kind of to be expected and that's okay with me. Honestly since it's my first LP (aside from some camcorder stuff I did a few years ago I'm not proud of) I'm just glad that people are enjoying it.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I want to recommend Lilli's Dom3 thread, with a few caveats. It should absolutely not be the first Dom3 LP you read. Pick one of the other ones, like Gabriel Pope's. It should also be something you're prepared to put some time into understanding. But if you give it a shot and are interested in Dom3 at all, read this. Every player in the game is posting in the thread, but there's a lack of synchronization which has led to side stories breaking out between certain players and their diplomacy and behind-the-scenes actions, and reactions from the other players when they find out. The thread has almost turned into its own meta-LP in a weird way because parts of the game are playing out in the thread.

I've always liked the Dom3 LPs, but I don't think I've ever really "gotten it" until Lilli's thread.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Proteus4994 posted:

I want to recommend Lilli's Dom3 thread, with a few caveats. It should absolutely not be the first Dom3 LP you read. Pick one of the other ones, like Gabriel Pope's. It should also be something you're prepared to put some time into understanding. But if you give it a shot and are interested in Dom3 at all, read this. Every player in the game is posting in the thread, but there's a lack of synchronization which has led to side stories breaking out between certain players and their diplomacy and behind-the-scenes actions, and reactions from the other players when they find out. The thread has almost turned into its own meta-LP in a weird way because parts of the game are playing out in the thread.

I've always liked the Dom3 LPs, but I don't think I've ever really "gotten it" until Lilli's thread.

Have to second this, I can't stop reading all these Dom3 threads. If you're new to that stuff though, this thread won't explain you much, and you might want to check other threads that explain more about game mechanics, such as the Arcoscephale thread or one of the dead threads.

Gabriel Pope's thread was awesome but wasn't archived, and all it's images are disappearing since they were hosted on waffleimages at the time.

That latest thread that Proteus mentioned was the point where I gave up and just bought the game and started playing MP after a while loving around against AIs (singleplayer is a very small part of the experience). What's going on there is just too fun to read if you like diplomacy/meta shenanigans.

Vaos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 23, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'll recommend Set Sail on the Sea of Stars! Let's Play Infinite Space!.

Not only does the game itself have an interesting plot that subverts a lot of the expected JRPG cliches, but TyrantSabre is adding some additional hilarious (and occasionally creepy-in-a-good-way things to the updates.

Proteus4994 posted:

That sounds crazy to me. In my own thread alone, I can only handle about four updates before it takes forever to load. Fourty updates a page? Not a chance. I'm more likely to use the trick below to show single posts:

Link to a post on the middle of a page:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453793&pagenumber=1#post398391615

Link to a single post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398391615#398391615

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I would also like to recommend the Dangan Ronpa thread. Only a few updates in I wanted to play the game myself, but can’t because it’s only available in Japan. If you can’t get ahold of it the LP is a very good stand in, and if I could play it I would still read the LP because Onenronen is presenting it very well. He is not only translating it himself, as people have said, but also explaining where he has change things because they do not have western counterparts such as the Japanese honorific system and general cultural nuances that people like myself would not notice and/or understand. There’s also RL stuff presented when appropriate such as developer interviews.

The LP is also very easy to read, even when sections have both character text, game text, and OP notes it it’s all very clear and well laid out. So far the plot is intriguing and the last time I got that ‘I have to know what to gently caress is going on’ feeling so quickly in a game was with Deadly Premonition.

A rare LP where the LP’er really adds to what you are looking at rather than just being the medium through which you see it.

Also creepiest teddy bear belly button ever.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That sounds crazy to me. In my own thread alone, I can only handle about four updates before it takes forever to load. Fourty updates a page? Not a chance. I'm more likely to use the trick below to show single posts:

Link to a post on the middle of a page:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453793&pagenumber=1#post398391615

Link to a single post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398391615#398391615

That's what I do for the updates in my table of contents, and I'm surprised more LPers don't do that. I also have a problem with multiple updates on the same page. I usually end up encouraging discussion, just so I can get my thread to a new page.

To add some content to this post, I'm going to recommend Coulis' LP of Disaster: Day of Crisis. Disaster is an absolutely ridiculous game made by Monolith Soft (the people behind Xenosaga and Xenoblade) about natural disasters and terrorists and nuclear weaponry and hamburgers the size of pillows. Oddly enough, it was only released in Japan and Europe despite being set in America. The commentary by Coulis, Pork Lift, Psycho Serum, and Hbomberguy is quite entertaining, aided by how ridiculously stupid the game is. Give it a watch.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I would like to recommend idonotlikepeas's LP of Police Quest 1&2 (and 3 probably still to come). It doesn't get nearly enough love. On the surface it seems like it might be the usual old adventure game stuff, which is maybe why it's not more busy, but idonotlikepeas puts a spin on it that's hilarious, engaging and occasionally genuinely moving. It's gold, but the thread is very quiet, so I can't help but feel it might be going under the radar a bit. I really can't recommend it enough. It's my third favourite current LP.

My other favourites are Dangan Ronpa and 20 Years of Sonic, but those have been recommended a lot already I'm sure. (either way, do check them out, they're fantastic)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Someone recommend me LPs of JRPGs. Video, screenshot, whatever. I have a lot of free time in the next couple of weeks but I'm no where near my game collection. Just tell me it's good and it's a JRPG. :)

Edit: I did try Quovak's lp and although I like the idea of the challenge run, I don't like the lp or find it entertaining at all.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 25, 2012

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Grandia, as LP'd by Azure Horizon. It is my favourite JRPG ever. Starts off all cheerful, but don't be fooled; once poo poo gets real (which takes a while), this game gets pretty dark.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Quovak's Chrono Trigger LP is awesome if you like his rambling style. His updates are massive and well written IMO. Also, the thread contains some nice background posts.

Also, he's finishing the game while getting the minimum XP possible (level 1 game).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Lethemonster posted:

Someone recommend me LPs of JRPGs. Video, screenshot, whatever. I have a lot of free time in the next couple of weeks but I'm no where near my game collection. Just tell me it's good and it's a JRPG. :)

In the archive, ddegenha has quite a portfolio of SNES, NES and GB JRPGs. There's some variety in his style depending on the game. For Final Fantasy, he did a number of challenge runs, including a solo fighter run where he kills Warmech single-handedly. For Sword of Hope, he took the rather simple narrative, and fleshed it out to be very fairy-tale-esque.

He's currently LPing Seiken Densetsu 3, and his his characterization of the party is absolutely wonderful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some of my favorites:

Final Fantasy Tactics by Orange Fluffy Sheep
Final Fantasy V Advance by Orange Fluffy Sheep
Final Fantasy IX by The White Dragon
Bahamut Lagoon by ddegenha
A look at Final Fantasy VI's glitches by Elephantgun.

There's a lot more as well, but that's off the top of my head.

I'm also currently following these and recommend them.

Seiken Densetsu 3 by ddegenha
Sword of Mana by Serifina and Shei-kun
Final Fantasy VII by Elentor

As you can tell, I have a large Square bias.

If you count strategy RPGs, I also recommend any of the fifty thousand Fire Emblem LPs floating around.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

JRPG LPs?

Schildekrote's archived LP of Persona 3 is a pretty great read. I really recommend it, especially if you've never played or seen an LP of Persona 3 before.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you want a less serious video LP, take a look at wateyad's and Pork Lift's (and Hbomb's like halfway in) run of Final Fantasy 13, or rather Chickobo Emperor Rasputin's Pro Menu Navigator XIII. It's incredibly long (nothing cut or edited), but very funny most of the time, and they're just a couple updates away from finishing the game so by the time you've caught up they'll probably be done.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Cool, thanks guys.

I'm trying to stay away from Persona games because I keep telling myself I will play them one day. I have tried to see how quickly I can finish the FF games, now to see how quickly I can read them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hectorgrey posted:

Grandia, as LP'd by Azure Horizon. It is my favourite JRPG ever. Starts off all cheerful, but don't be fooled; once poo poo gets real (which takes a while), this game gets pretty dark.

I always get all :3: when someone mentions an LP of mine. So far it's just been Grandia and Legend of Mana; I should probably step up my game!

• Locked thread