Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm thinking about this car: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5533894-FS-09-GTI-United-grey-stage-2..CNJ

Am I crazy for considering a GTI that's been modded? The seller says he's already removed everything except for the tune (which I'm ok with) and the springs (eh). If I got it for 16k, is that a decent price, or should I run away no matter what since it's a modded VW from New Jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'm thinking about this car: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5533894-FS-09-GTI-United-grey-stage-2..CNJ

Am I crazy for considering a GTI that's been modded? The seller says he's already removed everything except for the tune (which I'm ok with) and the springs (eh). If I got it for 16k, is that a decent price, or should I run away no matter what since it's a modded VW from New Jersey?

Why would you buy a car that was obviously/admittedly moded, already on it's second owner at 36k miles, and isn't priced at a huge discount?

These aren't rare cars.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH

my1999gsr posted:

That's what you need. The alarm horn won't chirp because the door latch has failed in the "open" position. I'm assuming your dome light either doesn't come on or stays on when the doors are closed?

Experienced exactly these symptoms yesterday when the trunk lock failed on the hatchback of my 2012 GTI. Dealer couldn't get the parts here until Tuesday, so they scavenged the needed parts off another new car on the lot.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Aflicted posted:

Cam follower is pretty much a wear item on the early 2.0T. Not by design I'm sure, but the coating on the follower for the HPFP wears prematurely. The part is less than $100 and can be changed fairly easily. There are plenty of DIY write ups on it on various VW/Audi forums.

I bought my wife a 2010 A3 2.0T DSG and she loves it. I drive it every once in a while and find it has plenty of room, a fun ride, and an enthusiastic motor. I don't even mind the DSG despite being a die hard manual fan. The new iteration of the 2.0T motor has a lot of improvements including a timing chain instead of belt. Thus far we have not had one problem with it at all. The A3 is a transverse mount and uses a haldex system. I don't feel this is a bad thing, but its not the same quattro you will find on all others. I live in the south though so snow or ice is not really a concern. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If it requires me to drive the car to answer... well that's just a drat shame isn't it.

I'm compromising on the DSG, I prefer manual but my wife needs to drive it somewhat regularly and doesn't want the distraction of a stick if she's with the kids. I've been behind the wheel, so all is good there. I don't know if dropping so much HP from my current ride is something I'll adjust quickly to but I'm tired of not being able to drive a car 10/10, and the A3 has so much I like about it that I'm sure I'll get by. Hopefully something more discreet will keep every douchebag in a rolling fartcan from attempting to race me.

I was more curious as to what to look out for in terms of common warranty issues or known problems. I've done some research but am not coming up with much for later models (which is probably a good thing).

PCJ-600 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 26, 2012

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Just so I'm clear - the 06 A3 is a timing belt? Turns out there's no service records for the one I just bought. Whoopsie.

(2.0T, DSG)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

speedtek posted:

Just so I'm clear - the 06 A3 is a timing belt? Turns out there's no service records for the one I just bought. Whoopsie.

(2.0T, DSG)

Yes. You need a water pump and timing belt every 95k or so if I recall.

Enjoy service position.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
My girlfriend has a 2004 Jetta that seems to suffer a variety of problems.

The most obvious issue we've seen is that the dash light comes on and it throws a code saying that the car isn't coming up to temperature by X amount of time after being started. We've done internet research and a lot of folks seem to think its a faulty temp sensor on the block - we've replaced that to no avail.

It's always run fine, but it makes getting it smogged a loving hassle, since we have to clear the code, drive around and immediately get it smogged before it cools off and eventually throws the code again.

Now, the battery is draining - We replaced the battery since we figured it was old, but a few weeks after, the battery is discharging in a matter of a couple days, and finally, after being on a charger overnight - its dead again.

My girlfriend says there have been random issues throughout the time of owning the car like the door open sensor coming on while driving and the car not making the *beep* sound when being locked from the fob.

My car knowledge is limited but it sounds like a computer issue or maybe even a grounding issue. I am desperate for help and suggestions to track down the issue.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

WildFoxMedia posted:

My girlfriend has a 2004 Jetta that seems to suffer a variety of problems.

The most obvious issue we've seen is that the dash light comes on and it throws a code saying that the car isn't coming up to temperature by X amount of time after being started. We've done internet research and a lot of folks seem to think its a faulty temp sensor on the block - we've replaced that to no avail.

It's always run fine, but it makes getting it smogged a loving hassle, since we have to clear the code, drive around and immediately get it smogged before it cools off and eventually throws the code again.

Now, the battery is draining - We replaced the battery since we figured it was old, but a few weeks after, the battery is discharging in a matter of a couple days, and finally, after being on a charger overnight - its dead again.

My girlfriend says there have been random issues throughout the time of owning the car like the door open sensor coming on while driving and the car not making the *beep* sound when being locked from the fob.

My car knowledge is limited but it sounds like a computer issue or maybe even a grounding issue. I am desperate for help and suggestions to track down the issue.

If you have a door latch fail it can leave the interior lights on and that will drain a battery. If your fault is for cooling system faulty or something similar then its more likely a bad thermostat.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I was forwarded to this thread from the small questions thread in A/T, posted it there first because it wasn't a mechanical question but maybe this is the better place to ask.

I have a new VW Jetta with bluetooth (convenience package), and I've been using it for a few weeks and it's been fine. For some reason, a few days ago the voice command stopped recognizing my girlfriend's name when I try to make calls. I don't get any sort of error message, just the ding sound it makes when the voice system turns off. Every other contact I've tried seems to work (e.g. my girlfriend's dad, same long last name; my dad, first syllable of name is the same as my girlfriend's, a bunch of my friends, and even names like "home"). I can't figure out what's wrong here.

I tried deleting the contact and adding it again, which worked once, but not anymore. Additionally, it seems the problem started off at some point after she sent me an iMessage from her iPad for the first time, which for some reason created extra slots in my iPhone messages list (rather than connecting it to our iMessage log between our phones). However, this didn't seem to add any additional contacts that I can find.

The voice command on my iPhone (not Siri, just voice control on iPhone 4) works fine with the contact. It's just the bluetooth in my car that has this issue.

I've also tried letting the phone forget the bluetooth device, turning off syncinc of contacts, but nothing has worked. Does anyone know of a problem like this? I doubt this is something they'll do at the Apple store. Is the dealership any help with problems like this? I'd love any tips, it sucks that this is happening with the only person I call frequently.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pray for my GTI('07)
I was driving along and the MFD came up with "TURN ENGINE OFF PULL OVER NOW" message and I did.
I got a tow to the local VW dealer who couldn't look at it today, so tonight is full of worry and stress hoping it won't be an expensive fix.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Thumposaurus posted:

Pray for my GTI('07)
I was driving along and the MFD came up with "TURN ENGINE OFF PULL OVER NOW" message and I did.
I got a tow to the local VW dealer who couldn't look at it today, so tonight is full of worry and stress hoping it won't be an expensive fix.

I got this exact message when my waterpump poo poo the bed. Although I had maximum temp to go with it :)

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

PXJ800 posted:

I'm compromising on the DSG, I prefer manual but my wife needs to drive it somewhat regularly and doesn't want the distraction of a stick if she's with the kids. I've been behind the wheel, so all is good there. I don't know if dropping so much HP from my current ride is something I'll adjust quickly to but I'm tired of not being able to drive a car 10/10, and the A3 has so much I like about it that I'm sure I'll get by. Hopefully something more discreet will keep every douchebag in a rolling fartcan from attempting to race me.

I was more curious as to what to look out for in terms of common warranty issues or known problems. I've done some research but am not coming up with much for later models (which is probably a good thing).

To my knowledge the 2009+ A3's are pretty solid little cars. The newer 2.0T motors really fixed the common pain points of the previous version. The DSG is something to look at though. It will need regular maintenance and fluid change at 40k which is apparently very expensive. I haven't made it there yet. It is user serviceable, but is filled from the bottom so special tooling is required. The mechatronics unit that controls the DSG can also fail, but I believe that is less common in later models. Audi/VW is aware of it and from anecdotal internet evidence they are pretty decent about taking care of the problem.

As far as people racing you, I never get a second look from anyone. The car does have launch control though, and a trip to your local REVO/APR/UNITRONIC/TAKEYOURPICK shop can flash a stage1 tune for reasonable $/HP ratio. I did not chip the A3, I did my A4 and it was a different motor after. The A3 stock with the DSG will still spin the front tires under heavy acceleration though in sport mode. That's with the OEM conti's on it, a stickier tire may net better results.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any thoughts on a 2009 vs 2010 GTI? As far as I can tell the main differences are:

2009: HIDs stock, worse interior, no "LSD"
2010: Halogens stock, better interior, LSD

Am I missing anything? Any reason to strongly prefer one versus the other?

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
So I finally am taking everyone's advice and purchasing a VCDS system to do some data logging on the the ol' 1.8T. As of current it seems it is locked into a permanent limp mode and only giving me about 5 psi of boost pressure. Earlier it would seem to go in and out of limp mode at random while driving. The only code I have right now is the P0420 code. I have changed out the post cat O2 sensor to no avail. I assume my cat is toast. It is a 3" turbo back system that had a "high flow" cat pre-installed so I am thinking about having that cut out and flanges welded in so I can but a universal magnaflow cat in there. The car is on 04 and only has 82K miles on it but little things here and there are starting to pop up. Luckily the window regulators are just fine "knock on wood".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Any thoughts on a 2009 vs 2010 GTI? As far as I can tell the main differences are:

2009: HIDs stock, worse interior, no "LSD"
2010: Halogens stock, better interior, LSD

Am I missing anything? Any reason to strongly prefer one versus the other?

Is LSD in quotes because you don't know what it is? Because it's important, and would easily make the decision for me if I enjoyed either or both spirited driving (or more) and/or every had to deal with slippery conditions.

It's a limited slip differential, and it makes all the difference in putting power down in corners when trying to go fast or not being stuck in one place or in ice or snow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Is LSD in quotes because you don't know what it is? Because it's important, and would easily make the decision for me if I enjoyed either or both spirited driving (or more) and/or every had to deal with slippery conditions.

It's a limited slip differential, and it makes all the difference in putting power down in corners when trying to go fast or not being stuck in one place or in ice or snow.

No, LSD is in quotes because it's an electronic one that uses the brakes instead of a mechanical one.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 30, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

No, LSD is in quotes because it's an electronic one that uses the brakes instead of a mechanical one.

Meaning the 2010 has a real LSD?

Yeah, I'm not gonna change my opinion.

Although sometimes "LSD"/traction control can work pretty well in the slop.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Meaning the 2010 has a real LSD?

Yeah, I'm not gonna change my opinion.

Although sometimes "LSD"/traction control can work pretty well in the slop.

Sorry, should have been clearer. The 2009 has no LSD, the 2010 has an electronic one that uses the individual brakes. It's not mechanical.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Sorry, should have been clearer. The 2009 has no LSD, the 2010 has an electronic one that uses the individual brakes. It's not mechanical.

Is the change in looks not a big deal for you? Or am I wrong? I thought in the US, the 2009 GTI was still the Mk5:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2009-volkswagen-gti

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

Is the change in looks not a big deal for you? Or am I wrong? I thought in the US, the 2009 GTI was still the Mk5:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2009-volkswagen-gti

I prefer the look of the Mk6, but I'm going to be driving this car for at least the next 5 years, and I'm ok with either style. Just curious if there are any major engine/suspension/reliability changes between the 2 generations, and whether it's worth the extra 3 grand or so.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Aflicted posted:

To my knowledge the 2009+ A3's are pretty solid little cars. The newer 2.0T motors really fixed the common pain points of the previous version. The DSG is something to look at though. It will need regular maintenance and fluid change at 40k which is apparently very expensive. I haven't made it there yet. It is user serviceable, but is filled from the bottom so special tooling is required. The mechatronics unit that controls the DSG can also fail, but I believe that is less common in later models. Audi/VW is aware of it and from anecdotal internet evidence they are pretty decent about taking care of the problem.

As far as people racing you, I never get a second look from anyone. The car does have launch control though, and a trip to your local REVO/APR/UNITRONIC/TAKEYOURPICK shop can flash a stage1 tune for reasonable $/HP ratio. I did not chip the A3, I did my A4 and it was a different motor after. The A3 stock with the DSG will still spin the front tires under heavy acceleration though in sport mode. That's with the OEM conti's on it, a stickier tire may net better results.
That is really good to know. The A3 forums I found were mostly "New guy here" threads or posts about slightly older models. I'm looking at a few right around 35K so I'll work the DSG service into any negotiation. It looks like it runs about $350 so it's not a game-changer either way.

Since I'll probably end up in an A3 with the sport package I'll opt for summer/winter tires versus all-seasons.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just got of the phone with the dealer.
My issues were caused by the HPFP failing and VW is going to eat the cost of repairing it.
On my way back up to the dealer to pick up a loaner car until the parts come in.
Hooray!

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

My issues were caused by the HPFP failing and VW is going to eat the cost of repairing it.
On my way back up to the dealer to pick up a loaner car until the parts come in.
Hooray!

I wasn't aware the GTI also had an HPFP. I thought only TDI models had that?

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

Thumposaurus posted:

Hooray!

Fantastic news for you :)

Getting that covered by warranty repair probably isn't a problem for gassers with HPFP failures, but for diesels it might be a little more dicey.

When I owned my 2011 TDI I always kept the receipt from my most recent fill-up in case I ended up with an HPFP failure. That, combined with the results of independent testing of a fuel sample from the tank, should be enough to make any hassles go away...

Of course, I had zero issues, a lot of fun, and awesome fuel economy for the 14 months I owned it.

DerDestroyer posted:

I wasn't aware the GTI also had an HPFP. I thought only TDI models had that?

They definitely do, but I don't know at what year engine-mounted HPFPs started appearing in VW petrol engines. I do know that for the Golf R the stock high pressure pump isn't good for making much more power, so a higher flow pump is an option that people are taking up along with their first tune. You can buy a whole new pump from APR or send yours in for...rebuilding :raise:

siliciferous fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 30, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

siliciferous posted:

Fantastic news for you :)

Getting that covered by warranty repair probably isn't a problem for gassers with HPFP failures, but for diesels it might be a little more dicey.

When I owned my 2011 TDI I always kept the receipt from my most recent fill-up in case I ended up with an HPFP failure. That, combined with the results of independent testing of a fuel sample from the tank, should be enough to make any hassles go away...

Of course, I had zero issues, a lot of fun, and awesome fuel economy for the 14 months I owned it.

They definitely do, but I don't know at what year engine-mounted HPFPs started appearing in VW petrol engines. I do know that for the Golf R the stock high pressure pump isn't good for making much more power, so a higher flow pump is an option that people are taking up along with their first tune. You can buy a whole new pump from APR or send yours in for...rebuilding :raise:

There's a reason I bought the 7yr/100k mile warranty with my '11 TDI. If it shits anything out it's covered, and I'm usually bored with a car by the time I've had it 6 years anyway.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They gave me an '11(I guess) Golf for a loaner.
Sadly an automatic, but it will get me back and forth to work for now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Hey guys, I've been shopping for a new ride to replace my Mazda 3. I've been looking a lot at the Audi lineup and I think that the TTS is the right model for me. Are there any quirks or updates coming down the pipe for this generation? Most interesting to me would be updates to MMI, like the Google Earth integration that got put in the A7 (I think?). But of course, glaring mechanical gotchas are important as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious if there are any major engine/suspension/reliability changes between the 2 generations, and whether it's worth the extra 3 grand or so.
I'm having a hard time finding much discussion on that (minus searching on VWVortex). Autoblog says the suspension changes + eLSD are noticeable and make the mk6 better, but obviously hard to say whether that's worth 3k to you.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

PXJ800 posted:

That is really good to know. The A3 forums I found were mostly "New guy here" threads or posts about slightly older models. I'm looking at a few right around 35K so I'll work the DSG service into any negotiation. It looks like it runs about $350 so it's not a game-changer either way.

Since I'll probably end up in an A3 with the sport package I'll opt for summer/winter tires versus all-seasons.

The sport package is definitely worth it, when I drop the car off for regular maintenance I always get handed a loaded A3 for a loaner. If I had been purchasing the car for myself and not my wife, it would have been a requirement. Mine is more stripped not equipped, but I got it with 17k miles, a year old, for under 25k. It was an easy choice given my wife's requirements and the comparably priced alternatives we drove. We looked at a lot of different makes/models in the search.

I would be interested to know how a car seat fits in the back. We are sans child now, but car seat fitment and access was a requirement for the future.

If you are picking up a new one, or a low mileage CPO, you might try to work the Audi Care package into the deal. That pays for all regular maintenance through the 45k service.

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 31, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

After replacing my breather hose, I'm starting to notice a small oil leak, and my engine's running a bit rough at idle again. I must have either another hose clogged up, or one of the valves clogged up, and after loosing that nice leak to release the pressure a new leak popped up somewhere else.

Probably going to order a PCV kit and just replace all the hoses/valves, just need to check to see if it's my valve gasket leaking or if I need to get the camshaft seals too. Wheeeee.

e. Hopefully it's just the main valve that needs to be replace, and not all the hoses. The price for a complete kit seems way too high on ecstuning, 450 bucks just for the hoses and valve? At least the valve itself is pretty cheap, less than 50 bucks on it's own I'm seeing.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 1, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone familiar with vagcom know what this code is, car is a MKIV golf eurospec. The car idles pretty badly, takes a long time to get up to temp and is hard to start.

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 019 BQ

Component and/or Version: 1.6l 2V/R4 SIMOS HS3018

1 Fault Found:

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30

36-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Aflicted posted:

The sport package is definitely worth it, when I drop the car off for regular maintenance I always get handed a loaded A3 for a loaner. If I had been purchasing the car for myself and not my wife, it would have been a requirement. Mine is more stripped not equipped, but I got it with 17k miles, a year old, for under 25k. It was an easy choice given my wife's requirements and the comparably priced alternatives we drove. We looked at a lot of different makes/models in the search.

I would be interested to know how a car seat fits in the back. We are sans child now, but car seat fitment and access was a requirement for the future.

If you are picking up a new one, or a low mileage CPO, you might try to work the Audi Care package into the deal. That pays for all regular maintenance through the 45k service.

I'm going low-mileage CPO. I can't stand stressing over the first few rock dings and such. I drive 7500 miles/year so I can get a slightly higher-mileage but newer year CPO that's already eaten some depreciation without worrying about hitting the warranty ceiling before it's paid off.

I didn't install the child seats on the lot, but it looks like the forward-facing kind for older kids wouldn't be an issue even with the seats all the way back. It might be snug for the rear-facing baby seat, that thing sticks over the seat ledge in just about any vehicle. I'll report back in a few weeks when I pull the trigger.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Picking up a new 2012 Golf later this week. Moving into the city required me to move to a more compact and fuel efficient car. I'm super excited about everything but the low torque (edit: and the plastic wheels...). Any tips/tricks/Golf stories?

do it fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 2, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

do it posted:

Picking up a new 2012 Golf later this week. Moving into the city required me to move to a more compact and fuel efficient car. I'm super excited about everything but the low torque. Any tips/tricks/Golf stories?
Low torque is just an excuse to carry more momentum through corners, isn't it? I bet a decent set of swaybars would wake that car up. Maybe GTI suspension bits can be picked up cheap as well as their owners "upgrade" to eBay coilovers.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Latest news from the dealer.
Crank might be hosed somehow? :iiam:

Have a call into VW hoping they will cover it otherwise I am super hosed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just ordered new gaskets (valve cover and rear cam seals), new PCV valve, purge valve, some spark plugs, some spark plug wires (that were about 60% off on amazon because they were returned :neckbeard:), and now I just have to hope that it all gets here before the weekend so that I can spend Easter break getting this engine running smooth again. Gonna be fun :woop: Or horrible. Probably both!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tagged the absolute piss out of a semi retread tonight. Pulled over and saw no fluids leaking out so drove home ok. Really think I should pick up a DieselGeek skidplate.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I was doing some casual reading on Audis and saw reference to some of them needing 95 octane.

Is that on some Euro scale? I've never seen 95 octane at any gas station (Midwest).

Premium here is 93 (sometimes 91).

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Krime posted:

I was doing some casual reading on Audis and saw reference to some of them needing 95 octane.

Is that on some Euro scale? I've never seen 95 octane at any gas station (Midwest).

The europeans use a different octane scale with numbers higher than ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Krime posted:

You ~should~ be using premium if the car is turbo'd. I got away with 87 from time to time on my 1.8t but the power was definitely down when I did.