Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Why bust your rear end for special releases when you can get so many great loving beers so easily and (relatively) cheaply?

Amen brother.

I drank an Ayinger Celebrator tonight and am I the only one who thinks it tastes and smells like concord grapes? I'm looking up reviews and don't get anything of what others are describing, it's as if I'm drinking a different beer.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ubik posted:

I think hop extract is still subject to the same solubility limits as normal hops, but it's a far more efficient way of packing more IBUs into your beer. Like Docjowles said, you don't get so much volume loss from the hops absorbing the wort when using hop extract for bittering. And it probably makes it easier for the alpha acids to isomerize and absorb into the beer, so it might allow a few ticks extra that whole/pellet hops wouldn't. Not that you'd taste them, since the human palate taps out somewhere around the 100 IBU mark.

If you want to try a super-fun experiment, taste a spoon of hop extract. It tastes like burning! :haw:

It tastes like you just put a black hole of pungency in your mouth and you are going to die. Then you wash it down with a beer and it tastes loving awesome!
I do not recommend doing this more than once for "fun".

CO2 hop extracts are not pre-isomerized which means its not bitter, still need to boil the extracts to get bitterness out of it, meaning basically it acts just like hops.
However its still REALLY loving intense and you basically can't taste anything but burning and some sweetness from a beer for an hour.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

I drank an Ayinger Celebrator tonight and am I the only one who thinks it tastes and smells like concord grapes? I'm looking up reviews and don't get anything of what others are describing, it's as if I'm drinking a different beer.

All the normal ~taste buds~ disclaimers apply, but I love the stuff and never got any concord grape-like smells or flavors. You sure the stuff was stored properly?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

It may be that you're getting an oxidation character from an old bottle. Some oxidation shows up as "wet cardboard/newspaper," but some of it shows up as a distinct raisin-y/ribes flavor. It's highly probable, given the fact that it's imported from Germany and probably sat on a shelf for a while before you bought it. Oxidation is the biggest drawback to buying imports, and often gives people a false impression of what the beer is meant to taste like.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
I use butt loads of hop extract because it is cheap and gives a really nice clean bitterness. That being said I have made every single person who works here dip their finger in it and taste it. I even get people walking through the door to try it. Why? Because I am a rear end in a top hat and love the look on their face.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Midorka posted:

Amen brother.

Huh I was gonna mention that when I was talking about Racer 5, I always picked up some concord grapes in the aroma and a little bit in the taste. I also live in an area that grows a ton of concord grapes though, so I feel like I might be more sensitive to it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Kosher man posted:

I use butt loads of hop extract because it is cheap and gives a really nice clean bitterness. That being said I have made every single person who works here dip their finger in it and taste it. I even get people walking through the door to try it. Why? Because I am a rear end in a top hat and love the look on their face.

Thats just mean and I like it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ubik posted:

Why bust your rear end for special releases when you can get so many great loving beers so easily and (relatively) cheaply?

Beer releases are really fun, have you been to one?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I am so glad that saisons are fashionable these days. I've been drinking hell of Hennepin these last couple weeks and I'll probably pick up a six-pack of Colette tonight on the way home.

I can see why farm laborers drank this stuff. The flavor improves when it's warm out and you're actually thirsty.

Question: What's a good beer for getting a strong yeast flavor? Specifically something I can think of for textbook yeast character.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking. I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking, but things I believe got drank include:

De Struise - Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from 2008
Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine from 2008 (maybe more years? This is a 15% beer holy poo poo)
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout from 2008 HOW THE gently caress DO YOU DRINK THIS BY YOURSELF its like 18%
Founders - Nemesis 2010 (Think this was in there)
Hair of the Dog - Cherry Adam from the Wood
Jolly Pumpkin - Bambic Batch 1 (FUCKKKKKK)

In the end it's just beer, and I guess I didn't EXPLICITLY SAY "don't drink my beer, especially multiple bottles of 15% beer", but jesus h christ on the cross I'm grumpy about it right now.

Edit: he was at least apologetic and was like "I didn't realize they were non-replaceable" and "I know guys at Firestone Walker and Stone" (he used to live in Cali)... but yeah. Cool.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 28, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Question: What's a good beer for getting a strong yeast flavor? Specifically something I can think of for textbook yeast character.

...a saison? Different yeast strains produce a huge range of flavors so this is a bit of a weird question. There's no one "yeast character". Broadly speaking, anything American in style, and any kind of lager, are fermented with super clean yeasts so they are poor choices. Look at saisons, hefeweizens, or Belgian dubbel and tripel. Those are all styles where the yeast's flavor is front and center. But you'll notice they are all very very different despite that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking.

Good Lord! I think I'd ask him to pay my share of utilities for the next month or something. That's terrible, especially if he "knows" beer people.

Are you saying he drank those in one sitting? Because I agree: that might kill a lesser man.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I am so glad that saisons are fashionable these days. I've been drinking hell of Hennepin these last couple weeks and I'll probably pick up a six-pack of Colette tonight on the way home.

I can see why farm laborers drank this stuff. The flavor improves when it's warm out and you're actually thirsty.

uh, yeah, what Docjowles said- unfiltered Belgian and German beers tend to have the most pronounced yeast flavors. if you see a lot of Mikkeller in your area, he made a yeast series that you might want to check out.

ShaneB, that loving blows- what adult thinks that it's okay to do that? i mean, snagging a single beer out of the six-pack in the fridge is one thing, but a bunch of poo poo that's obviously been set aside for a reason, not to mention a poo poo ton of high-ABV stuff.... oh, and if you have friends that work in breweries, shouldn't you know better?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShaneB posted:

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking. I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking, but things I believe got drank include:

Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine from 2008 (maybe more years? This is a 15% beer holy poo poo)
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout from 2008 HOW THE gently caress DO YOU DRINK THIS BY YOURSELF its like 18%

In the end it's just beer, and I guess I didn't EXPLICITLY SAY "don't drink my beer, especially multiple bottles of 15% beer", but jesus h christ on the cross I'm grumpy about it right now.

Edit: he was at least apologetic and was like "I didn't realize they were non-replaceable" and "I know guys at Firestone Walker and Stone" (he used to live in Cali)... but yeah. Cool.

It's got nothing to do with being a beer nerd, having a cellared collection, etc, and EVERYthing to do with basic common courtesy and respect. You don't eat or drink something you find, that isn't yours, without asking first.

Holy poo poo. His apology only addressed the rarity factor and not the "I drank things that didn't belong to me without asking" factor.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Holy. poo poo. :stare:

If necessary I've got a grandma with a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere Michigan, I'm sure there's a few places you could stash a body.

Really though uh.....this is why my opinion on roommates is and will always be 'gently caress roommates'.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

ShaneB posted:

Sounds like he must have drunk them when you were not around, else you'd have noticed I assume.

I posit that he had a pretty good idea what he was drinking. Anyone but a fellow beer nerd would have been so put off by something like World Wide Stout they'd get nauseous just looking your cellar, and certainly would not have come back for 5 more helpings.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

All the normal ~taste buds~ disclaimers apply, but I love the stuff and never got any concord grape-like smells or flavors. You sure the stuff was stored properly?

Could be an incredibly old bottle, the bottle was sitting on the singles rack which tends to have some really old stuff on it (A 3 year old Maudite) and this has no date. So it's possible.

Ubik posted:

It may be that you're getting an oxidation character from an old bottle. Some oxidation shows up as "wet cardboard/newspaper," but some of it shows up as a distinct raisin-y/ribes flavor. It's highly probable, given the fact that it's imported from Germany and probably sat on a shelf for a while before you bought it. Oxidation is the biggest drawback to buying imports, and often gives people a false impression of what the beer is meant to taste like.

Thanks for the informative post, this is definitely quite possible. I'm definitely willing to try this beer again though as the reviews of others make it sound absolutely wonderful. That isn't to say it was bad last night, but it really smelled and tasted a bit like some Manischewitz Concord Grape in a way.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Really though uh.....this is why my opinion on roommates is and will always be 'gently caress roommates'.

Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but personal circumstances made the choice be between moving out of an apartment I just moved into like 2 months ago, or get a roommate and see how that worked out....

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

Could be an incredibly old bottle, the bottle was sitting on the singles rack which tends to have some really old stuff on it (A 3 year old Maudite) and this has no date. So it's possible.

Thanks for the informative post, this is definitely quite possible. I'm definitely willing to try this beer again though as the reviews of others make it sound absolutely wonderful. That isn't to say it was bad last night, but it really smelled and tasted a bit like some Manischewitz Concord Grape in a way.

that's the funny thing about taste buds. Your brain wants everything to taste familiar, so when something new comes along it gets sorted into the closest category until you consciously distinguish it.

Dark fruit character is totally normal for something like a doppelbock, I think it's likely that you are extremely familiar with grape jelly and your tastebuds made the association.

The only way to break the association is to drink that beer until it becomes a beer flavor itself. Start your goat trinket collection now.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

ShaneB posted:

Wow, that is seriously hosed up. Who just randomly drinks a bunch of someone else's beer (rare or not) without asking? That's just a matter of common loving decency and sense. I'd be furious on the principle of it alone. My goondolences

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but personal circumstances made the choice be between moving out of an apartment I just moved into like 2 months ago, or get a roommate and see how that worked out....

Well I hope if you end up not kicking his rear end to the curb he'll at least repay you and not act like an infantile rear end in a top hat in the future. I think I'd have a hard time not throttling him.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 28, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Ah ah ah. Worst roommate ever.

I felt bad enough once about drinking some of my roommies' 1554 to cap off a really drunken evening (thought it was mine, not his) that I bought him a replacement sixer as an apology, but a sixer of 1554 is $9!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Corbet posted:

Beer releases are really fun, have you been to one?

Yes, beer release events are fantastic, and a great way to meet people and try a shitload of new beers. I did Dark Lord Day several years in a row and had a blast every time. My contention is with seeking out and "ticking" those rare beers outside of the events and dealing with inflated prices, competition from other beer nerds and eBayers, and so forth. There's no reason to let the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality make your life miserable when there's doubtlessly something just as excellent elsewhere on the shelf. If you can find them easily, great! If not, don't get your panties in a bunch just because somebody else got to that bottle of KBS before you did.

Also ShaneB, that totally loving sucks, and it shows a basic lack of respect on his part that he just goes into your property and gets drunk on your collection without saying a drat thing. It seems like he knew drat well what he was doing and is just apologizing because he got caught.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Kick him to the curb. It sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing. Even if it was just a few cans of Hamms, you don't take someone else's poo poo without asking, period.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Does anybody here have experience volunteering for the American Craft Beer Fest? I don't know anyone who would be willing to go with me and so I was toying with the idea of just signing up just to check it out without having to wander around alone. Never been to any big beer events like this before.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Was this beer sitting in the fridge or like in a closet in some boxes? I mean it doesn't matter as what he did was still wrong but if it was not in the fridge then it really shows he is a twat.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

ShaneB posted:

Terrible justification, but try to think of it like this...

You had to scramble financially, in the form of getting a roommate. Alternatively, you theoretically would have had to sell some possession or something along those lines, in order to make ends meet. Deceive yourself (so we don't have another forums user committing a homicide) into thinking you sold that beer to pay rent, and the guy is just free company.

Or, if nothing else, force his rear end to stand in line for you at the next few rare beer releases and pay for the haul.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

wattershed posted:

You had to scramble financially, in the form of getting a roommate. Alternatively, you theoretically would have had to sell some possession or something along those lines, in order to make ends meet. Deceive yourself (so we don't have another forums user committing a homicide) into thinking you sold that beer to pay rent, and the guy is just free company.

What? No. Just no. Taking on a roommate doesn't bring with it the expectation that they will take/use your things without your permission.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

Or, if nothing else, force his rear end to stand in line for you at the next few rare beer releases and pay for the haul.

This sounds like a good demand.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

if I could find surrogates to buy rare beers for me I'd have a pretty dank cellar/box going by now.

Not a bad line of work, now that I think about it...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CalvinDooglas posted:

that's the funny thing about taste buds. Your brain wants everything to taste familiar, so when something new comes along it gets sorted into the closest category until you consciously distinguish it.

Dark fruit character is totally normal for something like a doppelbock, I think it's likely that you are extremely familiar with grape jelly and your tastebuds made the association.

The only way to break the association is to drink that beer until it becomes a beer flavor itself. Start your goat trinket collection now.

Thanks for this post. I recently had a Troegenator and picked up caramel apples mostly, which was actually really good so I was more expecting something like that with the Celebrator. I'll definitely try it again once I see a newer batch come in.

I found 3 bottles of the Birra del Borgo version of the DFH collab My Antonia, the bottles were $8.49 but I had to buy all of them just in-case it blows my mind. Worst comes to worse I have a friend who will appreciate a bottle.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sirotan posted:

What? No. Just no. Taking on a roommate doesn't bring with it the expectation that they will take/use your things without your permission.

Exactly. That kind of courtesy just goes without saying and going through someone else's things is very disrespectful. Those beers are gonna be difficult or impossible to replace, so I'd say sending him to line up and pick up a big beer release is a good way to make things right.

Ballast Point debuts in Texas today :dance: I actually applied for a job with their distributor, but it got filled internally. Oh well, I am gonna drink all the Sculpin.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I might literally fight someone who stole half of my beer cellar and tried to pull off a "I figured it was okay," excuse. Where the gently caress does that work? I don't even steal my roommate's basic, replaceable food without asking. The fact he "knew some guys at FW" makes it even worse, since he is more likely to actually understand what he did.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Angry Grimace posted:

I might literally fight someone who stole half of my beer cellar and tried to pull off a "I figured it was okay," excuse. Where the gently caress does that work? I don't even steal my roommate's basic, replaceable food without asking. The fact he "knew some guys at FW" makes it even worse, since he is more likely to actually understand what he did.

This is hosed. I'm pretty sure you are allowed to murder him in cold blood for drinking an Earthmonk 08.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
This encapsulates why, in my single days, I told myself I'd rather sell my possessions, plasma, or get in the weed business than take on a roommate.

Also, another vote for the 'he knew what he was doing' theory...nobody dives into a stash of out-of-the-way beer unless they know that the good stuff doesn't reside in the fridge for extended periods of time, but instead sits in a cool dark place that isn't the kitchen.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Dude should pay you face value for every beer he drank plus interest for each year aged, or I would kick him out. How long has he been living with you and he is stealing your stuff?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

Dude should pay you face value for every beer he drank plus interest for each year aged, or I would kick him out. How long has he been living with you and he is stealing your stuff?

I would do both. Make him pay for what he stole then kick him out.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I think we all expect a resolution to this. He can't get away with that poo poo.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

You guys should fight it out on Maury, get a DNA test and everything. Or battle in the dodecagon or whatever polygon people fight in these days.

The consensus seems to be that he knew he was being a douche and clearly enjoyed your beers. You should find some secret sleuth way of determining if he even touches your beers in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

"In the case of Shane's '08 WWS, roommate...you ARE the drinker!"

[cue shane hip-hop dancing across the stage]