Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Dickeye posted:

Guess who's seeing the Suicide Machines a week before the ASOB reunion?

There's a rumor they'll be playing destruction by definition too

Where are they playing? Hopefully somewhere near the tri-state area..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Strictly Rude. For the most part. The next two albums, not so much. I recently discovered the title track is a cover of sorts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrNDnU6PPk

There's actually one more song on the album that isn't included in the north american cd release for whatever reason? I dunno if it's vinyl only or if it's a foreign / japanese release only or something, but it's a super chill song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKlFWLEB11c

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beowulf posted:

Where are they playing? Hopefully somewhere near the tri-state area..

Rochester

(Also a week before that my best friend and I will hopefully be putting on our first show in Syracuse)

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Well RBF is apparently touring this summer with Goldfinger and Suburban Legends. Money is already burning a hole in my pocket.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Beowulf posted:

Well RBF is apparently touring this summer with Goldfinger and Suburban Legends. Money is already burning a hole in my pocket.

I've seen RBF at least 5 times, so that's pretty ok, but I can't WAIT to see Suburban Legends again. I only saw them once, but it was a loving incredible show.

edit: aaaaand they only have northeast dates, nothing in AZ. Damnit.

TK_421 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 1, 2012

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Streetlight is playing the mainstage for Warped Tour. I don't know how I feel about this but I'm not going to lie I kind of want to go because there's a lot of 2002 pop punk as well. A New Found Glory, Yellowcard, and Taking Back Sunday.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just wondered what Suburban Legends are up to.

I could use some more front row high fives.

I worked and All Time Low concert last year, and Yellowcard sounded great when they opened.

It was like Warped Tour 2002 all over again.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

I've seen RBF at least 5 times, so that's pretty ok, but I can't WAIT to see Suburban Legends again. I only saw them once, but it was a loving incredible show.

edit: aaaaand they only have northeast dates, nothing in AZ. Damnit.

They're set to announce more dates as RBF's CD gets a little closer to completion.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Streetlight is playing the mainstage for Warped Tour. I don't know how I feel about this but I'm not going to lie I kind of want to go because there's a lot of 2002 pop punk as well. A New Found Glory, Yellowcard, and Taking Back Sunday.

If only it were those bands playing the music they played back in 2002. TBS has been making awful music ever since like '05. :george:

Always had a soft spot in my heart for Yellowcard though

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Man a ska thread, ska and me go way back. less than jake was the first CD i bought with my own money. Now its great dranking' music.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Guess who's seeing the Suicide Machines a week before the ASOB reunion?

There's a rumor they'll be playing destruction by definition too

Goddamn I envy you. I missed my only chance to see the suicide machines years ago at a warped tour, because I got there an hour late and for some reason they were the very first band to play.Since about '98, between destruction by definition and hello rockview, I don't think there's a ska-punk album I've listened to more. Sing along with skankin' pickle is probably up there too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently I went out and got myself a book called House of Fun: The Story of Madness. It's pretty comprehensive, I'd say it's definitely up there with Horace Panter's Ska'd For Life memoir as far as accounts of the 2 Tone years go.

Does anybody else like 2 Tone? I prefer it the third wave stuff. Madness and the Specials were probably the first bands I was ever into, and after that I became a fan of Laurel Aitken and the Skatalites.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I was just wondered what Suburban Legends are up to.

I could use some more front row high fives.

I worked and All Time Low concert last year, and Yellowcard sounded great when they opened.

It was like Warped Tour 2002 all over again.

Yellowcard's opening for All Time Low now? :geno:

Beowulf posted:

If only it were those bands playing the music they played back in 2002. TBS has been making awful music ever since like '05. :george:

New album is actually pretty good, even though it's completely different than old stuff. They've got John Nolan and the rest of the original line-up back together. I saw them in concert last year and they sounded pretty drat good, aside from Adam's smoker's voice sounding like the gargling on gravel.

Beowulf posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to go to this and leave before RBF goes on :sigh:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 4, 2012

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yellowcard's opening for All Time Low now? :geno:

Yeah, it was kind of sad, but they played a great set. It should also help them get some attention to fuel the reunion they're doing.

All Time Low felt like every song they wrote was a by the book teen anthem, but at least the majority of the crowd surfers I was catching weighed less that 110 pounds.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I check in on the new ska releases on Amazon once in a while, I didn't realize this and I don't really care about them but there apparently is a new Suburban Legends release as of April 3rd if anyone is interested. Doesn't sound bad as they go, no radical stylistic departures or anything. There are a few fans around if I remember right.

Day Job

Is there anything else on the release radar?

EDIT: There is apparently a cover of "Just Can't Wait To Be King" from The Lion King on it. I know that Disney used to be their "thing" but I enjoy that that exists. It looks like there's a Little Mermaid cover too. Given the name of the album I guess it might all be stuff like that, but I don't recognize most of the songs offhand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

Is there anything else on the release radar?

I think the new Madness album might be coming out this year but it doesn't have a date yet. However, they've recently brought out a new compilation album called Forever Young: The Ska Compilation, which covers most of the songs they've recorded which have the most pronounced ska/reggae influences.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Streetlight is still saying there's a new album this summer, even if Victory is being dicks, as far as I know.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Well, just found out Big D is playing May 11 at a little bar near where I live. Now there is literally no reason not to go see them.

Edit: This summer is going to make me so poor :smith:

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2012

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Why did nobody tell me about The Impossibles reunion. Why. Why am I in tears

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

That or The Specials playing more than a few dates in the U.S.

I'm still kinda of bummed that the Bad Manners tour undersold and they canceled their Columbus date.

drat. I've seen bad manners twice now, and for a fat old bastard*, Buster is a phenomenal performer

*Busters a really nice guy. When a mutual friend (a local promoter) told him that I couldnt get into the show a couple of years ago as I was completely flat broke, he ordered the door to let me in free on the condition I gave him a t-shirt of my daft little local ska band. Then he gave me a shoutout on stage and brought me beers all night. The man has a heart the size of his gut.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

e: Actually I won't post that for now. ... Ignore this.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 15, 2012

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010
Probably doesn't even belong in here these days, but BtMI! put out another ska-less song:

http://bombthemusicindustry.tumblr.com/post/21237118669#disqus_thread

I'm liking this new sound they have going and it's a nice progression from Vacation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

duck monster posted:

e: Actually I won't post that for now. ... Ignore this.

No gently caress you Duck Monster you post whatever it was you son of a bitch.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Just the usual shout to any UK goons who aren't doing anything 10th-12th August this year. Folkestone's Skabour festival will be running again, so far we have Bad Manners, The Dualers and King Hammond confirmed as headliners.

I will most likely be there unless my baby decides it wants to pop out 2 weeks early. Anyone who fancies it just let me know - it's a super cheap weekend and great fun

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maybe this is the wrong thread but does anyone have a free ticket to Andrew Jackson Jihad/Joyce Manor at Bear's Place in Boston this Sunday? I don't want to miss that perfection in show form.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey ska thread! Look this show in Syracuse: http://www.facebook.com/events/139834726141448/ !

I may or may not be one of the guys booking it!

Come support us if you can!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I heard something about a secret free BTMI show next weekend in the city with Laura Stevenson. Anyone know anything about this or know if I was lied to?

I want to be part of a secret show.

edit: Wow, google makes things easy. It's called Strawberry Fest at NYU
https://www.facebook.com/events/394632077234681/

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Not entirely ska, but I was at the Toh Kay show in NYC on Thursday and apparently hell froze over because Tomas played a new song he was working on. Well, 30 seconds of one anyway. I can't find anything about it on the internet though sadly. Was anyone else there? Please tell me I'm not making this up.

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.

Cheesegod posted:

Not entirely ska, but I was at the Toh Kay show in NYC on Thursday and apparently hell froze over because Tomas played a new song he was working on. Well, 30 seconds of one anyway. I can't find anything about it on the internet though sadly. Was anyone else there? Please tell me I'm not making this up.

Saw him a few days later in Northern VA. Great set. Anyways, he said that Streetlight's next album was done... except for the vocals. Which he promptly apologized and took complete blame for.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
That means it's set for release early 2014.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

jetgrindeggy posted:

That means it's set for release early 2014.

Optimist.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

jetgrindeggy posted:

That means it's set for release early 2014 2016

ftfy

Now I just need to save up some cash so I can buy a few cds for some bands I like. The Forthrights, Circle City Deacons, and The Pinstripes need my monies...

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Can't wait to see Goldfinger this summer!

(ugh)

RBF and Suburban Legends are on tour, and Big D is playing some dates, but not the ones near me unfortunately.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I'm going to have an extra ticket for the ASOB Warsaw show (Sunday) that I could give to one of you guys if you want to meet up with me beforehand. First person to call dibs gets it.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Backno posted:

ftfy

Now I just need to save up some cash so I can buy a few cds for some bands I like. The Forthrights, Circle City Deacons, and The Pinstripes need my monies...

The Fourthrights are the poo poo

And thank you for the excuse to google the Pinstripes :love:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Listening to Feel the Riddim by Pannonia Allstars and the brass is just KILLING IT on this album. The hook in Rank With We nearly knocked me out of my chair. They're really on the top of their game.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

The Fourthrights are the poo poo

And thank you for the excuse to google the Pinstripes :love:

Check out the Green Room Rockers while you are at it.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
So apparently Big D has been playing at least three tracks off of every album the last few shows they've done in Massachusetts. I don't know if this is a temporary thing or not but holy christ do I want to hear 'She Won't Ever Figure It Out' and '5 Kids Down' live again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus christ. I just got done with a suicide machines show. Holy poo poo. I think I died.

edit: A smidge of content. They just played for an hour and a half nonstop. When they started New Girl like thirty people jumped on the "stage". Also I hosed up my elbow either elbowing someone else or landing on the ground when a surfer landed on me. It was honestly the most intense show I've ever been to. gently caress me, I want to see them again.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I would give up all my earthly possessions to be in a Suicide Machines pit just once. Are they doing a full tour or are they doing a few shows here and there?