Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

al-azad posted:

This is one of the concerns some people have. "Oh they reached their goal but now they're asking for more so clearly they're in it for the money!" It could happen, sure, but I have good faith the extra money is being put towards making the project better.
I don't mind it, considering most of these projects have the game itself as one of the bottom tiers. As soon as they reach their goal, they can use the rest of the money they're getting for what amounts to cheap preorders to do whatever. As long as they produce a game at the end of it, if their initial goal is indeed enough to make the game on its own, I don't have any problem with them using excess kickstarter money as profit.

edit: I mean, it's cool when they add features or platforms when they get a shitload more than they expected, but at the same time if their initial pitch/vision was enough to get 2-300% funding then it shouldn't be a big deal if they just stick to said pitch.

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nessin posted:

Just saw this linked in the RPS article about Shadowrun, in case anyone else wants to part with more cash:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

I read this as "Starflight" at first and really got my hopes up for a second argh

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's interesting that Starlight Inception is offering both Steam keys and Sony Vita redeeming codes, as if they already confirmed their game will be on both platforms.

e: what terrible English you had here, young man.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 4, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CrookedB posted:

Another interesting Kickstarter project, The Dead Linger:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandswept/the-dead-linger?ref=card

To quote the project description, "The Dead Linger is a first-person zombie survival sandbox in which you can venture into a vast, undead world, surviving and exploring in whatever way suits you best." You have to scavenge for resources, barricade yourself (or yourselves if playing in MP), and make use of whatever resources you have gathered to craft equipment in order to defend yourself. Multiplayer sounds like it's not just about players sticking together and trying to survive, but also about PvP where you can have varying groups of players trying to fight for territorial control (or just for the sake of it) while staying alive in a zombie-infested city.

The game doesn't seem to be multi-player only, though. It's just one of the features.
Kind of hard to pimp the latest zombie game when you have Shadowrun getting all the attention. It does allow SP, Versus, and MP survival. I think the game world is like as big as Minecraft.

I am curious how it will be a massive world, tons of objects you can grab off the ground to make into other things, and fend off constant attacks by undead, with other people, on such a small goal? Such a game might receive constant updates and hopefully be easy to mod, unlike Minecraft. Being able to test the game should make me feel better since I always wanted a well made Fort Zombie. It would be sweet if you can build up a fort so much and find that supplies just won't hold out forever, so you need to either spread far out to get more supplies and risk returning to an overrun fort, or go to a new area that will allow a new opportunity to do things.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 4, 2012

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

signalnoise posted:

I read this as "Starflight" at first and really got my hopes up for a second argh

Someone's making a Starflight 3. But it'll never see the light of day. Seriously it's been 'in development' for years.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kind of hard to pimp the latest zombie game when you have Shadowrun getting all the attention. It does allow SP, Versus, and MP survival. I think the game world is like as big as Minecraft.

I am curious how it will be a massive world, tons of objects you can grab off the ground to make into other things, and fend off constant attacks by undead, with other people, on such a small goal? Such a game might receive constant updates and hopefully be easy to mod, unlike Minecraft. Being able to test the game should make me feel better since I always wanted a well made Fort Zombie. It would be sweet if you can build up a fort so much and find that supplies just won't hold out forever, so you need to either spread far out to get more supplies and risk returning to an overrun fort, or go to a new area that will allow a new opportunity to do things.

I imagine they will either use some map tools to scan the world and get us a very low detail world with assets randomly sprinkled around in it or just build a whole bunch of building blocks and spread them around semi-randomly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Machine posted:

Whelp, the Shadowrun Returns thread sure is shitted up by people who don't understand Kickstarter, instead of y'know talking about the game.

People sure do get loving angry about other people spending money.

It's like, if you think Kickstarter is bad or kickstarting projects is bad (which is a fine opinion to have), why not just...not back the projects?

Especially the people in the thread getting loving furious at other people for backing projects, to the level of ridiculing backers for "spending money on something that doesn't exist yet" or whatever.

Also, I love the people who were completely, utterly ignorant of Kickstarter until a couple of months ago smugly telling others what Kickstarter Is All About in the thread.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 5, 2012

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature
I bet because it's the internet and normal well adjusted people aren't actually typing a million words about "Neat. Donated." or "Not for me. No thanks."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Occupation posted:

People sure do get loving angry about other people spending money.

It's like, if you think Kickstarter is bad or kickstarting projects is bad (which is a fine opinion to have), why not just...not back the projects?

Especially the people in the thread getting loving furious at other people for backing projects, to the level of ridiculing backers for "spending money on something that doesn't exist yet" or whatever.

I like the idea of Kickstarter and all the big name games/campaigns that have popped up, but I have yet to put down money for any of them yet as I have a hard time putting down money for something that doesn't exist yet (I rarely preorder games as well), but I dont begrudge the effort one bit; I think it's great. I hope they all succeed. None of these games have tickled my nostalgia yet, though I'm considering Wasteland 2 just because I enjoyed fallout 2 so much and hope it'd be similar. If there was one for a Lords of the Realm 4 similar to 2 I'd be popping down $100 on that!

I don't get the anger either. I'd think that comes later if one of the big projects fails or produces a poo poo game. However, if the big ones like Double Fine Adventure or Wasteland 2 turn out well, it'd be more fuel for the fire of the little renaissance in pc gaming that's going on due to digital distribution and small/indie developers.

I can see myself and many others buying the games on Steam once the finished product is done. I'd bet once these games come out on steam we'd easily see them pop up to the top 10 in steam sales.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, quite honestly the needless rage and doom-and-glooming seem to be exactly the same as the needless rage and doom-and-glooming back when Steam was new.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 5, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

Yeah, quite honestly the needless rage and doom-and-glooming seem to be exactly the same as the needless rage and doom-and-glooming back when Steam was new.

Well, Steam didn't exactly launch well. From beta through the first year or so, it was more than a little bit of a mess.

As for the doom and glooming about this, I don't think it's a bad thing to talk about the problems of some of these projects. It can make an interesting conversation if people are able to actually convey their opinions in a rational, informed manner. Though yes, it's the internet, and that's not how it usually happens...

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
The Dead Linger is looking pretty interesting as well. Over 50% funded in 5 days, and not surprising given the premise. If they can make good on what they're promising it's one of the games I've always wanted to play :)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

edit: I already given money to different Kickstarter. The best advice I can give to somebody is contribute to one Kickstarter and then wait and see. Because if the Doublefine Kickstarer was a huge success, it success was in raising money and not making a good game(at least not yet). So in reality the concept of Kickstarter, funding project was proven. But the reality of making good game has not.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 5, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hondo82 posted:

I like the idea of Kickstarter and all the big name games/campaigns that have popped up, but I have yet to put down money for any of them yet as I have a hard time putting down money for something that doesn't exist yet (I rarely preorder games as well), but I dont begrudge the effort one bit; I think it's great. I hope they all succeed. None of these games have tickled my nostalgia yet, though I'm considering Wasteland 2 just because I enjoyed fallout 2 so much and hope it'd be similar. If there was one for a Lords of the Realm 4 similar to 2 I'd be popping down $100 on that!

I don't get the anger either. I'd think that comes later if one of the big projects fails or produces a poo poo game. However, if the big ones like Double Fine Adventure or Wasteland 2 turn out well, it'd be more fuel for the fire of the little renaissance in pc gaming that's going on due to digital distribution and small/indie developers.

I can see myself and many others buying the games on Steam once the finished product is done. I'd bet once these games come out on steam we'd easily see them pop up to the top 10 in steam sales.

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm interested in seeing how this massive wave of Kickstarter funded development turns out but I don't want to put my money in because of how rocky and unpredictable game development can be. I hope that the games turn out well and I can understand people wanting to pay up front; it's just not what I want to do with my money.

The hostility toward the model is a bit strange. Kickstarter, irregardless of how it presents itself as something special, is essentially an investment scheme. People are putting money in up front for a project with the intention of getting a return on that investment in the form of rewards or (in the case of these gaming ones) at least a copy of the game. It's a model that's been around since the dawn of civilization that happens to have been made more efficient by the Internet and the ability to reach out to thousands of investors for a much smaller investment than normal (almost like stocks in a sense).

There's a risk to it but it's not hidden. I am a bit concerned that there is some "Kickstarter mania" going around at the moment while the enthusiasm is fresh but that's not something worth getting angry over. And even those people who are enthusiastic supporters of the Kickstarter model haven't been obnoxious about pushing it outside of one or two exceptions.

So there's at least two of us who don't want to pay up front, are interested in how well the Kickstarter funding model does in the long term, and don't get angry over it.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Tufty posted:

The Dead Linger is looking pretty interesting as well. Over 50% funded in 5 days, and not surprising given the premise. If they can make good on what they're promising it's one of the games I've always wanted to play :)

the game he is selling sounds awesome but i have serious doubts about him with 60k will be able to deliver even a sliver of what he's promising. no gameplay video? just some assists to show for it? no thanks.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

njark posted:

the game he is selling sounds awesome but i have serious doubts about him with 60k will be able to deliver even a sliver of what he's promising. no gameplay video? just some assists to show for it? no thanks.

I have those same reservations but they're an established indie studio with a game under their belt already that's available on Steam and they've all associated their full names with the studio so that stopped me being worried about it being purposeful vapourware. I'm sceptical about them delivering what they're aiming for, and I'd like to see some videos too - supposedly there's one coming soon.

Apparently they have been working on it as a hobby for 6 months and the Kickstarter is it fund the next 6 months with them able to do more work on it than they had previously. At that point it will be in alpha and will then be using an alpha funding model. If it gets some good buzz, the videos are promising, and goons say it's shaping up to their promises then I'll definitely alpha fund it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tufty posted:

I have those same reservations but they're an established indie studio with a game under their belt already that's available on Steam and they've all associated their full names with the studio so that stopped me being worried about it being purposeful vapourware. I'm sceptical about them delivering what they're aiming for, and I'd like to see some videos too - supposedly there's one coming soon.

Apparently they have been working on it as a hobby for 6 months and the Kickstarter is it fund the next 6 months with them able to do more work on it than they had previously. At that point it will be in alpha and will then be using an alpha funding model. If it gets some good buzz, the videos are promising, and goons say it's shaping up to their promises then I'll definitely alpha fund it.

If they could put out a video, any sort of video, even one with big "PLACEHOLDER TEXTURE" signs on every wall, showing things like their procedurally generated world? I'd be all over this.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
New interview with Victor Ireland today. Another game he apparently wants to kickstart is The Idolm@ster. Apparently the big way he wants to take the creep factor out of it, is to make them into boy and girl bands in the vein of N'Sync and such. Fantastic...
Here's the link to the new interview on RPGSite.

Edison Carter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That is the worst idea.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Edison Carter posted:

New interview with Victor Ireland today. Another game he apparently wants to kickstart is The Idolm@ster. Apparently the big way he wants to take the creep factor out of it, is to make them into boy and girl bands in the vein of N'Sync and such. Fantastic...

Okay, I know a lot more about Idolm@aster than I really should given how much I loving hate it but the ONLY people that game would really sell over here is to the people who would absolutely abhor any changes to the format. Changes to things boy/girl bands would just make it kinda target the 10-14 female demographic, who probably wouldn't be into the management aspects of the series. On top of that, I don't think he gets this, but any of those changes would basically make it so it'd be competing with just about every music personality shovelware title on the planet.

Short version? Idolm@ster would never work in North America like he thinks it would.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Vic Ireland makes such terrible business decisions that I think it qualifies for superpower status at this point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NINbuntu 64 posted:

If they could put out a video, any sort of video, even one with big "PLACEHOLDER TEXTURE" signs on every wall, showing things like their procedurally generated world? I'd be all over this.

Same here; the project is pretty ambitious and they'd have to nail the engine first to make believable worlds. I don't care how lovely pictures and video would be at this point but I need to see the engine at work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks to everyone who donated to Wasteland 2 and posted about it here instead of in the Wasteland 2 thread :3:

Quickly:
* BloodyCastle is amazing and I wish I could have donated it for posterity's sake.
* Leisure Suit Larry as an "even more dated Duke Nukem Forever" is probably how some people feel about Wasteland 2; people who grew up on snarky text adventures instead of on graphical CRPGs probably feel about Leisure Suit Larry how we might feel about Fallout. That is probably a huge leap, but I do legitimately have a friend who has spent hundreds or thousands of dollars buying every Infocom game in the original packaging--and this is someone who is probably way younger than the key demographic for that kind of thing. Leisure Suit Larry was a big deal when it came out, as hard as it is to understand now. It was the first GAME FOR ADULTS hahaha more like 12-year-old boys, but you know what I mean. It is even more 1980s than Wasteland, too! The whole series revolves around mocking a deep understanding of 1970s culture!
* The Dead Linger: I pronounced this in my head as "The Deadlinger," and then I was confused to find that the designers also pronounce it that way. All I can picture is a limited edition Deadlands comic book revolving around a Harrowed cowboy named "Deadlinger Jack" or something.

(Still, I think I want to donate to that)

Palpek posted:

I am sitting here cackling like a maniac thinking about the next three pictures in this series. Just work with me here. I know you can all see it. There he is in an ultra-photorealistic leisure suit, there he is in a 3D ultra-realistic leisure suit, and there he is actually sitting in your living room as a result of Kickstarter 2038's remake.

Lobst posted:

This section in particular is an educational goldmine if you want to design games. Even if you don't like anything he's done, it still provides an insight to the thought process and underlying structure behind several finished retail products.
Did ... did they really manage to get "Suicide Man" as a character in Leisure Suit Larry 5? Because that character actually sounds kind of amazing. If you are too lazy to read up about him--he would appear regularly throughout the game, trying and failing to kill himself in the corner of whatever area you were in ... for seemingly no reason. Nice.

al-azad posted:

Kickstarter has painfully reminded me how all of the big names from yesteryear are making casual poo poo and cell phone games. These people were the superstars of the 80s and 90s but somehow they've been reduced to designing disposable flash games. How?
Some of them ... all right, I am just thinking of Lord British here, seem to genuinely be excited about the idea of making these kinds of games--I guess it makes sense in his case, as he oversaw his world being made into 6 traditional turn-based CRPGs, 2 real-time CRPGs, one action-RPG, and one MMORPG. Then he made a non-Ultima MMORPG, flew in space, and wants to bilk people on Facebook. That sounds about right to me. Brian Fargo probably is not burned out on classic games yet because he never worked consistently on any one genre or title.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Edison Carter posted:

So first he wants to extort customers by essentially threatening to do a lovely job on a translation if they don't give him $500,000. Next, he wants to take another franchise and gently caress with the original when he ports it over? :v: This guy needs to gently caress right off.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I really wish I knew anything about the localization process, acquiring multimedia rights and game distribution rights for a NA/Euro, knew some people who knew enough Japanese to translate something, had people with the technical skills to work on a PSP title, and had the capital to make a startup and had several localized games under my belt so that I could start up a company to localize Valkyria Chronicles 3 since Sega ain't touchin' that poo poo.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

So first he wants to extort customers by essentially threatening to do a lovely job on a translation if they don't give him $500,000. Next, he wants to take another franchise and gently caress with the original when he ports it over? :v: This guy needs to gently caress right off.

Okay, I'm pretty critical of the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter too, but this is just a bit knee-jerk. He's not extorting money threatening a lovely translation. He's said several times it's just going to be a more literal localization, with no planned "upgrades" to the game, no english VA, no Japanese VA, etc. He's not going to half rear end the translation, he's just not going to go that extra mile to 'murican up the game like he wants to (and like he's essentially wanting to do to Idolmaster). The Kickstarter has plenty to be cynical about already without having to go all apeshit about it.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
God drat it Victor Ireland. I love you and all, but that's way too much to get a copy of your localization digitally. Just get Working Designs back together. I'd back that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quarex posted:

* The Dead Linger: I pronounced this in my head as "The Deadlinger,"

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Yodzilla posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Is that not correct?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vrikkian posted:

Is that not correct?
Well, it is how they say it, so apparently it is. But I would hope it would be pronounced as two separate words. This may be a confusing semantic point for anyone who is not an easily-annoyed native English speaker (not to accuse you of anything, just trying to figure out why it would bother Yodzilla and I but not others). There is probably a linguistic term for what is going on there, where the words flow together so easily that it seems like an attempt to create a new word. "The Lingering Dead" probably did not sound as good to them, though.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012
I guess I'm a little late to the initial conversation, but I've been pretty pumped for Kickstarter as a funding platform for awhile now. It's nice to see it getting traction. I've only thrown in on Double Fine and the Banner Saga so far, but this megathread has been great about highlighting projects.

I've actually been putting together an idea of my own, but I'm pretty intimidated by all the awesome videos people are putting together. There's really some kind of crazy art to these Kickstarter pitch videos. It seems like some folks spend almost as much time planning the video as they do the project itself.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

MaverickEX posted:

I guess I'm a little late to the initial conversation, but I've been pretty pumped for Kickstarter as a funding platform for awhile now. It's nice to see it getting traction. I've only thrown in on Double Fine and the Banner Saga so far, but this megathread has been great about highlighting projects.

I've actually been putting together an idea of my own, but I'm pretty intimidated by all the awesome videos people are putting together. There's really some kind of crazy art to these Kickstarter pitch videos. It seems like some folks spend almost as much time planning the video as they do the project itself.

Yeah. You have to consider that this video is you trying to sell your idea to everyone, so you need to take special care to make it accessible, engaging, and informative. It also has to be really carefully balanced so you aren't too much of one and not enough of the others. You also have to be keenly aware of your target funding group and how to specify it to them.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Edison Carter posted:

Okay, I'm pretty critical of the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter too, but this is just a bit knee-jerk. He's not extorting money threatening a lovely translation. He's said several times it's just going to be a more literal localization, with no planned "upgrades" to the game, no english VA, no Japanese VA, etc. He's not going to half rear end the translation, he's just not going to go that extra mile to 'murican up the game like he wants to (and like he's essentially wanting to do to Idolmaster). The Kickstarter has plenty to be cynical about already without having to go all apeshit about it.

I just like how he never mentioned any of this because he assumed it was a "sure-thing", that people would have no problem plunking down half a mil's worth of money for an extremely niche game on a dead system. The guy's delusional.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think Jane Jensen's will be the first "big name" kickstarter that will fail because apparently they weren't able to put together an inspiring presentation that would say or show anything about the game they want to make and went for writing a producer resume with the worst headshot sticked to it.

Also it seems that Shadowrun has stopped the Larry HD's cashflow.

MaverickEX posted:

It seems like some folks spend almost as much time planning the video as they do the project itself.

If you worked in the creative industry you would understand that presentation is EVERYTHING. They're asking people to give them money (whether it's producers or backers) to create something according to THEIR vision. Selling the idea itself is always a big chunk of their work.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 5, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Palpek posted:

I think Jane Jensen's will be the first "big name" kickstarter that will fail because apparently they weren't able to put together an inspiring presentation that would say or show anything about the game they want to make and went for writing a producer resume with the worst headshot sticked to it.
I actually thought their video was probably the most compelling overall, at least for someone who had no idea of the people involved nor really any interest in the genre they were working in. I totally did not expect any of the things that happened in the first minute or two of the video to happen, and that seems pretty good for a mystery teaser.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quarex posted:

I actually thought their video was probably the most compelling overall, at least for someone who had no idea of the people involved nor really any interest in the genre they were working in. I totally did not expect any of the things that happened in the first minute or two of the video to happen, and that seems pretty good for a mystery teaser.

This is not the point. You might like the video, the atmosphere etc. but at the end of the day a regular person has to click "back this project" with a certain amount of money and this is when he/she stops and thinks "wait, what am I paying for exactly?" and this kickstarter just doesn't show it. You know what you expect from the Shadowrun, Larry, Wasteland - you get the vague idea. Here it's - oh, so this will be in the style of this other game but who am I playing exactly? What setting is this? What is it about? Anything?

A successful presentation should be short, cool but also give you some - even minimal - information so that you can imagine the game a bit. This one fails at this.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Here's another one!
Star Wars Battleground dev wants to make a successor to Wingman/Xwing for the PC and PS Vita. I can't afford to back all these games, based on nothing more than concept. I'll wait for release on this one, I think.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Do those kickstarters have a delay between submitting them and them appearing on the site? The only explaination for all these vets competing with eachother is that they all submitted their projects a week ago without knowing about the other games.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, when Caro sent me the link to his latest project in Syria it still was being considered by the site for at least 3 or 4 more days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Palpek posted:

Do those kickstarters have a delay between submitting them and them appearing on the site? The only explaination for all these vets competing with eachother is that they all submitted their projects a week ago without knowing about the other games.

Yep, projects spend a few days being considered before they go live. The weird thing is that Kickstarter do reject some. You can imagine how bad they must be with some of the crap that seeps through.