Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Cuchulain posted:

That's not even remotely true, Shaved-head idiot guy was killed be the traitor, for starters.

He's alive when they come back to the city after the scouting trip. I was thinking about doing a scouting legion costume last Halloween since I think this manga is awesome, so I read it a stupid number of times to get references. It does benefit from a re-read, it especially helps you figure out who everyone is.

But anyway, here's a thing from volume 6 with the top 10 in their recruiting class (minus Eren, plus Armin). All these people are still alive except Marco (the X gives it away). Also alive is Christa's nameless freckled friend.

Next chapter should be out within the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cuchulain posted:

Any theories on who the Armored titan is? I thought it might be Shaved-head idiot guys, but he's a little... dead, now.

It's almost definitely someone we haven't been introduced to, yet. It's a wild guess, but I'm thinking it's someone in the nobility.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If its anything like the titans we've seen so far, it will retain its eye shape and pupil color.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Kusaru posted:

He's alive when they come back to the city after the scouting trip. I was thinking about doing a scouting legion costume last Halloween since I think this manga is awesome, so I read it a stupid number of times to get references. It does benefit from a re-read, it especially helps you figure out who everyone is.

But anyway, here's a thing from volume 6 with the top 10 in their recruiting class (minus Eren, plus Armin). All these people are still alive except Marco (the X gives it away). Also alive is Christa's nameless freckled friend.

Next chapter should be out within the next few days.

gently caress, you're right. I had him confused with one of the dead members of the elite squad with short hair. Who knows then? Maybe's it's Jean, he's a douchebag and has the same haircut as the Armor Titan. Probably not though. :v:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
New Chapter :supaburn:

And now to wait another month... drat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
In this latest chapter, poo poo continues to get real.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

That was so good.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The ring trick was pretty cool. Glad it wasn't just some magic transformation power ring.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I wish I could go into hibernation for 30 days then wake up when there is a new chapter.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Holy poo poo

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Great chapter, but something's wrong: it ran out of pages for some reason.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What does that last page say?

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

TTBF posted:

What does that last page say?

The katakana reads Eren VS. Annie! (Eren VS Ani, directly transliterated)

Not sure about the kanji.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Any theories on who the Armored titan is? I thought it might be Shaved-head idiot guys, but he's a little... dead, now.

It seems like it's most likely to be Reiner Braun, the guy Annie picked up but didn't kill in titan form. He has the same resemblance thing going on and there are a lot of incidents in the manga where he and Annie seem particularly close or 'in the know'.

One thing I missed that was just pointed out to me is Annie's stance here is a titan fighting stance: she's covering the back of her neck. I really like how the author bookmarks this sort of thing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I wouldn't be surprised if Armin's real plan was to trick Eren into gaining the motivation to fight Annie

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Holy poo poo that punch.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I just want to look at hundreds and hundreds of pages of Eren punching things as a titan. It's always so goddamn satisfying to see.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That last panel of Mikasa is killer.

TheHan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Armin's real plan was to trick Eren into gaining the motivation to fight Annie

Seems like an obvious sub-objective, yeah.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
drat, I thought they had her until the ring knife showed up.

I really like the action shots in this series, it reminds me of Berserk in terms of being visceral but less cluttered.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

God DAYUM, that SERIOUS FACE page followed up with the Uppercut Literally from Hell

"Yeah, it really is..." indeed.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Hallgerd posted:

One thing I missed that was just pointed out to me is Annie's stance here is a titan fighting stance: she's covering the back of her neck. I really like how the author bookmarks this sort of thing.

And she was trained in it by her father. What the hell is going on, and for how long has it been going on?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Hahaha, this loving author. One page :downs:, next is a :krad: two page spread.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

This exemplifies the readers perpetual face as they read this manga :stare:

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
I'd like to point out and praise the cover art for this chapter. Mikasa has a slim, lithe, but still muscular body appropriate for the kind of training she's been put through. She looks like an MMA fighter, which is more than I can say for many other depictions of "tough" women in manga and other media.

EDIT: Also, purple exercise clothes are cool as gently caress.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how Eren Titan always seems powered by pure rage. His Titan form's got a perpetual apoplectic face and every movement he makes seems done with every possible ounce of energy available.

Also, Jesus that was one hell of an upper cut.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Gyges posted:

I love how Eren Titan always seems powered by pure rage. His Titan form's got a perpetual apoplectic face and every movement he makes seems done with every possible ounce of energy available.
It's such a satisfying contrast to the, well, I'll call it "derpy" faces of the natural titans. He's in that huge body to destroy, and it shows.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 11, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hallgerd posted:

This is such an incredibly subtle detail.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Hallgerd posted:

It seems like it's most likely to be Reiner Braun, the guy Annie picked up but didn't kill in titan form. He has the same resemblance thing going on and there are a lot of incidents in the manga where he and Annie seem particularly close or 'in the know'.

Nah, Reiner is the same age as Eren and crew. The armored titan attacked the first wall while they were all kids. He is also best friends with the guy with black hair whom he joined the military with since they were kids. Black hair guy would have to be a titan as well.

I like the theory Zorak posted a while back.

Schwarzwald posted:

This is such an incredibly subtle detail.

This manga is awesome with the foreshadowing, I didn't even see that one.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Oh god, i'm gonna' reread this series from the beginning just to see who else is wearing a ring!

I know that sounds dumb but you never know!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Pankratos posted:

I'd like to point out and praise the cover art for this chapter. Mikasa has a slim, lithe, but still muscular body appropriate for the kind of training she's been put through. She looks like an MMA fighter, which is more than I can say for many other depictions of "tough" women in manga and other media.

Isayama is actually a pretty big MMA fan, he talks about it fairly often on his blog.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

hackbunny posted:

And she was trained in it by her father. What the hell is going on, and for how long has it been going on?

Well assuming all the specialized titans are people "in the know" from the Inner City then we can assume they are behind the entire thing for as long as specialized titans have been a factor. We still know next to nothing about how this all started or why but it seems a plausible guess that it was originally part of some man-made catastrophe or war, and then as the world changed and people adapted to being a lower rung on the food chain then those in power decided to covertly use the titans to keep the population in order and control the city to their own liking in a way democratic rule or pure military force couldn't.

Phew!

Pankratos posted:

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi would literally kill you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pankratos posted:

If you haven't seen it check out Teppuu which is about female MMA fighters and everyone looks capable and of the appropriate body types, the author seems to be really interested in the sport as well and his depictions start out alright but only improve as the manga progresses. As a fun bonus the main character would be the hero's antagonist in any other series so it's a fun twist on the sports genre in general. It even has its own thread.

Back to Advance of the Giants:
When the chapter started I was practically talking to the screen saying "get her in that tunnel! Get her down there now! Ooooh fucckk:ohdear:. Although in the end it might not have mattered in the slightest, considering how Eren just burst the hell out of the ground to uppercut her at the end.

Oh, you can also buy a scary mask based on the manga now.

http://www.narinari.com/Nd/20120417726.html

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
Yeah, I know about Teppu. It's a great manga.

Now that Eren fully acknowledges Annie is the female titan, I wonder if he can manage to use his higher brain functions to strategize during the fight like Annie is able to do or if he's just gonna keep hulking out.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

It's an interesting two pronged plan.

If they had got her underground, they could have subdued her easily where she can't transform due to the lack of the sun and room. On the other hand, if the entirety of the scouting legion and the MPs jump her here, they have a chance to take her down and make a MASSIVE strike against information control.

The human-giants beyond Eren seem to largely be aiming to force people to turtle in and control numbers. They don't actually desire humanity's extinction, they desire control. They want the status quo to be maintained since that means those in charge keep their power without threats. Having humanity have to back in as much as possible and reducing the population to manageable levels is part of this. They've said before that the major losses to population was actually viewed positively by those in charge. In essence, the human-giants are a means to manipulate the other giants and remove trouble elements if necessary, as was just tried against Eren in the recent mission.

But what will happen if a giant appears right in the middle of the city, the safest zone, the ultimate bastion? Behind the final wall? It doesn't matter that those in charge will figure out that it's one of their "own giants" that did it; the populace will turn from "why bother, we're safe behind the walls!" to sheer "OH poo poo. OH poo poo". The essence of protection will fail, which will send ripples through the system and also give those that want to take offensive solutions more pull.

Yesss they basically outlined in this chapter that my theory on their motivation was fundamentally accurate, high loving five. This manga is the best.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pankratos posted:

Is that really the cover? Because I really cant understand waht´s happening there, apart from Mikasa. What the hell with that girl wearing a bikini with a flower in her mouth? The angry kids at bottom?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is that really the cover? Because I really cant understand waht´s happening there, apart from Mikasa. What the hell with that girl wearing a bikini with a flower in her mouth? The angry kids at bottom?

They're yet to be revealed characters in the volume. It was at risk of getting cancelled so the author introduced the bikini girl for fanservice and the little critter up top for cute factor.

It's the front page of the magazine it's released in dummy. Those are random characters from other manga also in the magazine.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
They know you have to have a clear idea in your head of your goal to be able to transform, so why didn't anyone clobber Annie over the head to muddle her thoughts?

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Kraus posted:

They know you have to have a clear idea in your head of your goal to be able to transform, so why didn't anyone clobber Annie over the head to muddle her thoughts?
Her goal was to escape, right? Pretty simple. It's not like taking a blow to the head would mess with her motivation, or sense of urgency. Eren, on the other hand, was dealing with his personal issues.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused. Did Eren transforming in the tunnel shut down the theory about needing sunlight to transform? Or was he able to because of some light filtering down through the hole Annie made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kyoujin posted:

I'm a bit confused. Did Eren transforming in the tunnel shut down the theory about needing sunlight to transform? Or was he able to because of some light filtering down through the hole Annie made?

Doesn't seem like we have enough to go on either way at this point.