Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Valdis Story is in the Notable Ongoing list in the OP?

I watched the video and wasn't 100% convinced, is there anything else that makes people think it will be great?

Some of us are backing it because it's from the people who made Legend of Fae, a fun little Puzzle Quest-ish game that uses Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack instead of Bejeweled as its base. It's got a nice art style, keeps a good difficulty/mechanics balance, and was just an all-around good title from people who seemed to know how to keep their budget balanced and their ideas within scope. Seeing them go from a puzzle-RPG to an action-RPG seems like something worth gambling on.

Seriously, go buy Legend of Fae if you like little casual games. It's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mutata posted:

I hope you have to work at a developer some day that has 1 test unit for the entire company.

Also, wouldnt they probably want an iPad 1, 2, and 3 to cover the bases?

With each one on a different iOS version, too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting update from the guys who are making Star Command about some of the unexpected costs accrued after their successful Kickstarter campaign.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

I wonder how many kickstarters are taking into account how expensive dishing out the prizes are going to be.

Double Fine posted about their expenses so far on their backers only forum. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/

Some snippets for non-backers (note they raised $3,446,371 total):

quote:

For every payment made through Kickstarter, Amazon took 5%. After that, Kickstarter took their 5%. There were a handful of failed transactions that were never corrected as well, leaving our final total after fees and failed transactions at $3,099,660.
Reward costs:

Two player production's cut was $393,964. This leaves them with $2,232,465. A far cry from their initial amount, but hopefully enough to make an awesome 2D adventure game with.

edit: Double Fine kept track of how much all of their rewards were costing them from the beginning. It's important that people with kickstarters do this, otherwise the costs really could get away from you. It should never be 30% of your revenue like Star Command. DF's was 14%, perhaps still too high, but much more reasonable.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Didn't realize that Amazon and Kickstarter combined would get 10% of the cut.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Two player production's cut was $393,964. This leaves them with $2,232,465. A far cry from their initial amount, but hopefully enough to make an awesome 2D adventure game with.

Considering that they were originally planning to make the game in, like, AGS, 2 million should make something nice. Although who knows if they're going to gear up and make their own set of design tools to make a 2D adventure game now to give the engine guys something to do, and to be ready to make more such games in the future.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Al! posted:

$1000 in iPads is what, 2 iPads? It doesn't seem too much to me to have 2 company ipads. However, the biggest thing to me is the $10,000 in prize fulfillment. I see a lot of kickstarters that look like they are setting themselves up to spend just as much as they earned in t-shirts, posters, vanity press books, etc. Doublefine will probably spend hundreds of thousands of dollars alone sending out their stuff.

Doublefine actually did a breakdown of their costs so far

quote:

Doublefine also had a very good breakdown of their costs. Of the 3+ million they made, nearly a million went to various costs, such as prizes, fees, shipping, and the documentary.

http://kotaku.com/5902280/what-the-hell-these-game-developers-did-with-your-kickstarter-money

Trying to find where the actual breakdown was mentioned.

edit: haha, nevermind. Already posted.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
People making kickstarters should really just offer digital rewards for a while. It probably wastes a lot of the company's time planning and making sure there's money for stuff like boxed releases on top of taking a lot of money from them.

There's an art book at the 30$ tier for wasteland so I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a ton of money from that.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

theblackw0lf posted:

http://kotaku.com/5902280/what-the-hell-these-game-developers-did-with-your-kickstarter-money

Trying to find where the actual breakdown was mentioned.

edit: haha, nevermind. Already posted.

My favorite thing about that is how the first comment on loving Kotaku is also "iPads?! What do they need iPads for?!"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gokuesque posted:

People making kickstarters should really just offer digital rewards for a while. It probably wastes a lot of the company's time planning and making sure there's money for stuff like boxed releases on top of taking a lot of money from them.

There's an art book at the 30$ tier for wasteland so I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a ton of money from that.

That's a digital artbook, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Two player production's cut was $393,964.

Uh, wasn't their part just supposed to be $100,000? That increased a bit.

gokuesque posted:

People making kickstarters should really just offer digital rewards for a while.

I just complained earlier today that Shadowrun's boxed edition would cost me $150 as opposed to the $65 of Wasteland 2. If you wouldn't offer me anything physical, I wouldn't even bother increasing my pledge from the basic type. Sure is taking a lot more money than people expect considering it's everyone's first kickstarter, but without physical goodies, a lot of that money wouldn't even be there.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

I assume that the now extended development time has altered that. Not sure why four times, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Saoshyant posted:

I just complained earlier today that Shadowrun's boxed edition would cost me $150 as opposed to the $65 of Wasteland 2. If you wouldn't offer me anything physical, I wouldn't even bother increasing my pledge from the basic type. Sure is taking a lot more money than people expect considering it's everyone's first kickstarter, but without physical goodies, a lot of that money wouldn't even be there.
Yeah, offering physical stuff is a great incentive, you just have to be conscious of how you're pricing it so that people choosing the reward doesn't eat into what you're raising money for, while still keeping the price reasonable enough that it actually entices people. Shipping costs can be a pain. Still, when people are pledging $15 specifically for international shipping it's kind of silly to add that all up and then say "look how much we have to spend for shipping."

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Blodskur posted:

I assume that the now extended development time has altered that. Not sure why four times, but it's the only thing I can think of.
It's exactly 15% of the net total after fees and rewards, so I'm guessing they had an agreement before the kickstarter for what their cut would be, $100,000 or 15% whichever is higher, something like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I forgot the bottom line from the DFA finance summary: "Instead of a team of 3 working for around 6 months, we’ll have a team of 11 working for around a year"

They said that isn't accounting for additional contract help and such. Quite a difference!

Saoshyant posted:

quote:

Originally, 2PP was asking for $100,000, but just like us they were asking for a bare bones budget and their production has expanded quite a bit in reaction to the unexpected amount of support and interest in the project. It meant not just following us for 6 months, but for an entire year. It also meant covering a lot more travel (they’re in Portland, we’re in SF), buying new equipment, and paying for an amazing score from Terrance Lee. Taking this all into account, we agreed that a fair split would be to give 2PP 15% of the money after fees and rewards.

Having to cover a team 4 times as large, for twice as long will increase costs by quite a bit. Plus, now it will simply look a lot nicer since it will be filmed with better gear. They posted a list of their gear on the backers forum: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6608/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm just angsty for them to start talking about the actual game.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Especially with all of the iOS fragmentation there is now.

Fuckin' this. I have to roll back my firmware soon just to make sure my poo poo will run on older versions of iOS and I'm a single person operation. This would all be far more smooth with more than one device.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1465600975/echoes-of-eternia-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-desig

22 grand for an RPG Maker game

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As far as RPG Maker games go at least it's nice looking. No idea how it'll actually play though. (probably like poo poo)

Also I bet that dude's got a :krad: fixie in his mom's garage.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Every time that comes up, I'm absolutely baffled as to how people can say that RPGs have strayed from their original design when many of them do little more than slap 3D graphics on to an ancient combat system. JRPGs are one of the most slow-moving (as far as evolution is concerned) genres there are right now.

And poo poo, that kid can't be older than 21. What classic RPGs came out in 2003? How the hell did he grow up with these titles?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hmm… if remaking nostalgia classics is the current trend, I wonder how much longer I have to wait until someone remakes Radical Castle. I'd pledge a buck or five for that… :D

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Quarex posted:

Arx Fatalis is not quite old enough, but despite having loved the game and played through it multiple times I do not remember anything about the developer--would people care if they got the "Arkane Studios" team back together?

I don't think the Arx team was very large, and a number of them are still here at Arkane. We're working on Dishonored at the moment. Some people do recognize the studio name in connection to the studio's the previous titles though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Megalixir posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chris-huelsbeck/turrican-soundtrack-anthology-by-chris-huelsbeck

First and probably last Kickstarter that I would even remotely consider donating towards.

:stare: Holy crap on a crap cracker.

I remember sitting at the TV as a wee babe holding up my sister's walkman to the speaker so I could record bits of the Turrican soundtrack to listen to later. I don't think I ever liked another game soundtrack enough to do it again.

Donating.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Some of us are backing it because it's from the people who made Legend of Fae, a fun little Puzzle Quest-ish game that uses Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack instead of Bejeweled as its base. It's got a nice art style, keeps a good difficulty/mechanics balance, and was just an all-around good title from people who seemed to know how to keep their budget balanced and their ideas within scope. Seeing them go from a puzzle-RPG to an action-RPG seems like something worth gambling on.

Seriously, go buy Legend of Fae if you like little casual games. It's pretty cool.

That sounds fantastic, added to my Steam list, thanks.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Police Warfare

Battlefield 3 meets cops and robbers. This looks really good, and they do a great job of showing what kind of game they want to make unlike Tactical Shooter.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Didn't realize that Amazon and Kickstarter combined would get 10% of the cut.

Whenever somebody makes money, usually 4 or 5 people make money from that.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Still, when people are pledging $15 specifically for international shipping it's kind of silly to add that all up and then say "look how much we have to spend for shipping."

If they want to inform people about what happened to the money shown on the final Kickstarter total, it makes sense for them to disclose the amount that went towards shipping. Ideally, the extra pledged for international shipping wouldn't be included in that total since it was never intended to go towards the game in the first place, but you can't fault them for taking it back out again and explaining where it's going.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Alright so as mentioned before, Kinetic Void will be having a Kickstarter 'soon' we decided to wait a little while until our Shipyard demo has a few more gameplay features in it.

Our dev thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

and here is a preview of the Kickstarter,
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/1298494244?token=c45e9787
obviously not done yet as we keep improving the game I update things.

I am hoping for another week or two until we launch it, but we will see.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So this isn't really game related, more kickstarter related, but HOLY CRAP!

Last week a company asked for $100,000 to create a watch that syncs to your iPhone or Android and has a bunch of cool features.

The current total is now $3,244,755

And they still have 32 days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

seorin posted:

If they want to inform people about what happened to the money shown on the final Kickstarter total, it makes sense for them to disclose the amount that went towards shipping. Ideally, the extra pledged for international shipping wouldn't be included in that total since it was never intended to go towards the game in the first place, but you can't fault them for taking it back out again and explaining where it's going.
I'm not faulting them for reporting them, I shouldn't have written that in the first person since I don't think they're complaining about shipping anyway. I just meant that it's something to consider when interpreting the data, that not all that money spent on fulfillment is "lost donations." I think it's great to see how transparent they are about the budget.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is there any data on return investment, at least insofar as a game making a profit? I ask because I'm curious to see if the wave of nostalgic startups-Double Fine, Wasteland, Shadowrun, etc. constitutes the people who would of bought the game in the first place. Should these games be objectively good, I wonder if word of mouth will be enough to return a profit on them. Not that the companies are at any financial risk, it'd just be disappointing to see such relatively heartwarming stories fall flat in the end.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Alright so as mentioned before, Kinetic Void will be having a Kickstarter 'soon' we decided to wait a little while until our Shipyard demo has a few more gameplay features in it.

Our dev thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

and here is a preview of the Kickstarter,
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/1298494244?token=c45e9787
obviously not done yet as we keep improving the game I update things.

I am hoping for another week or two until we launch it, but we will see.

I've been following Kinetic Void off and on for a while now and you already have a pledge from me when you go live. However, I'd probably bump "Why do you deserve my money?" to just above the gamplay section. It's a short section and you already give a rough description of the game in the intro.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you handle the "snap to section" for your ship modules? I'm looking to do something similar for a level editor and any point in the right direction would be grand.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Aurubin posted:

Is there any data on return investment, at least insofar as a game making a profit? I ask because I'm curious to see if the wave of nostalgic startups-Double Fine, Wasteland, Shadowrun, etc. constitutes the people who would of bought the game in the first place. Should these games be objectively good, I wonder if word of mouth will be enough to return a profit on them. Not that the companies are at any financial risk, it'd just be disappointing to see such relatively heartwarming stories fall flat in the end.

As far as Doublefine goes, when Psychonauts first launched it sold about as many copies as there are backers, was considered a huge disappointment, and nearly sunk Majesco. Now it has sold four times that many copies because of stuff like Steam. 87 thousand backers is seems like a lot, but isn't really for the industry.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I've been following Kinetic Void off and on for a while now and you already have a pledge from me when you go live. However, I'd probably bump "Why do you deserve my money?" to just above the gamplay section. It's a short section and you already give a rough description of the game in the intro.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you handle the "snap to section" for your ship modules? I'm looking to do something similar for a level editor and any point in the right direction would be grand.

Thanks for the feedback on the page, and it always makes us feel good when people say they want to buy already :D

As for the modular system, I wont pretend to know how its done, Harabeck is a wiz at C# and he built the system from scratch.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

evilmiera posted:

Not really.

Clearly you didn't follow the thread, since half the posts, especially on the first page, were stupid tripe like "well, the game LOOKS beautiful and has a great pitch and a great gameplay concept, and the game is only :10bux: ...but Bioware devs! DRAGON AGE 2/ MASS EFFECT 3! I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!!"

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

Last week a company asked for $100,000 to create a watch that syncs to your iPhone or Android and has a bunch of cool features.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Holy crap this thing looks awesome, I backed $1 until I can see if the wife will let me drop $115 on something this cool!

I wonder how it will work with the iPhone, I thought it was pretty locked down at least e-mail wise, I know the normal phone stuff is normal bluetooth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

theblackw0lf posted:

That reminds of how, for the longest time (since I joined KS (over a year ago) to a coupla months ago when KS finally had its first million dollar project (which I think was a documentary? maybe the oots ks?)), the most-funded project in KS history was the TikTok watch, a watch adaptator for your iPod Nano.

People really, really love their watches built for iDevices.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Give me 25 grand so I can buy toys!

He literally wants that much money to recreate Super Mario Bros. in Lego. I guarantee you that there are people in the GBS Lego thread who can and would do this for free.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Scratch-O posted:

Give me 25 grand so I can buy toys!

He literally wants that much money to recreate Super Mario Bros. in Lego. I guarantee you that there are people in the GBS Lego thread who can and would do this for free.

He'd be better off starting a donation drive where people just outright mail him lego blocks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theblackw0lf posted:

:stare:

What was that people were saying about Kickstarter not being the proper venue to raise tens of millions for a true high-quality game? Apparently if BioWare went to Kickstarter and said "hey we need $50 million for Mass Effect 3 THE REAL ENDING" it would work. Well, not necessarily, but this is interesting.

Why do people like watches in the year 2012 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's still questionable whether it's appropriate for high-quality games. I'm not sure as many people would be willing to kick in for a product that won't materialize for 3-5 years.