Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Danforth05 posted:

NZBs.org isn't closing down anymore, I guess. From the IRC:

"We've been convinced to keep running so we will not be shutting down this week as originally planned. Sorry for the roller coaster ride folks.
Anyways we will be switching to the beta. If you have not logged in there yet please do so. I'd recommend you check that your email address on this site is valid before logging into the beta."

Welp, at least my 10 dollar donation at DOGnzb won't go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MeKeV posted:

I've just set up the new couchpotato v2. So far I like the interface. Not had it snatch anything yet, but everything else seems to be working OK.

Nice, didn't spot there was an update. Something to play around with tonight then!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

The pHo posted:

Nice, didn't spot there was an update. Something to play around with tonight then!
Couchpotato v2 is still beta, right? Checking for updates isn't snagging it for me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i updated sickbeard, and now its on the wrong port (8082 instead of 8081) and has curiously enabled SSL and a password, which i dont normally use.

is there a way to go into the ini file and change this? (OSX lion)

EDIT: .ini file edited successfully. password is stored as plain text.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 19, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

Couchpotato v2 is still beta, right? Checking for updates isn't snagging it for me.

I think it's on github as CouchPotatoServer or something like that. If you don't have a git client you can just bookmark the zipball master and manually update. There weren't any pre-compiled builds for Windows that I saw last time, you have to run it through python.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 19, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any way to make anything snatched by CouchPotato to automatically choose the "movies" category in sabnzbd+?

edit: Or can I just keep the default category/folder and CouchPotato is smart enough to know snatched files vs. others downloaded in sabnzbd?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 20, 2012

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Corbet posted:

Is there any way to make anything snatched by CouchPotato to automatically choose the "movies" category in sabnzbd+?

edit: Or can I just keep the default category/folder and CouchPotato is smart enough to know snatched files vs. others downloaded in sabnzbd?

This option is in CouchPotato. Settings > NZBs/Torrents at the bottom as Category.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I just started using couchpotato.

I notice that there's an option for 720p and also BR-RIPs. If i select BR-Rips, is it possible to get them in 720p, or do it just snatch whatever BR-RIP there is, regardless of resolution? Thanks.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Mister Fister posted:

I just started using couchpotato.

I notice that there's an option for 720p and also BR-RIPs. If i select BR-Rips, is it possible to get them in 720p, or do it just snatch whatever BR-RIP there is, regardless of resolution? Thanks.

If you want 720p, you have to choose that. BR-rip is just like DVD-rips size and quality-wise, except it's sourced from a Bluray disk instead of a DVD.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

89 posted:

Is there anything functionally different with the new UI? I've checked my logs and I see that it will find stuff for 720p if I have it still to snatch in that resolution but the filesize will be out of range. Does it record that option to download and saves it for user input?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mthrboard posted:

If you want 720p, you have to choose that. BR-rip is just like DVD-rips size and quality-wise, except it's sourced from a Bluray disk instead of a DVD.

Hmm, that kinda stinks, i noticed that there are a lot of BR-Rips that are in 720p though. They seem smaller in size than regular 720p files

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Mister Fister posted:

Hmm, that kinda stinks, i noticed that there are a lot of BR-Rips that are in 720p though. They seem smaller in size than regular 720p files

Those are sort of a hybrid between 720 resolution but a bitrate between that of a BRrip and a regular 720p release. They aren't scene standard but some people like them.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Mister Fister posted:

I can confirm that couchpotato v2 downloaded a file tagged "720p.bluray.x264" when the quality I asked for was 720p. I imagine the same would be true of a file tagged "720p.BD-Rip".

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
As far as I can tell, nothing should be tagged as 720p BDRip. BDRip is the equivalent of DVDRip: standard definition from the best source available. All 720p and 1080p video should be marked as BluRay.

edit: BluRay x264. BluRay by itself would be disc images.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 21, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Your BD-Rip downloads should be pulling huge 20-40GB uncompressed rips. 720p and 1080p HD Movies are x264 video in a MKV wrapper usually. "scene standards" and all that. Anywhere from 4-12GB depending on the specifics. Usually 8ish gigs for 1080p films in my experience.

Fake edit: I think I found some of these files, at NZBMatrix there is a BRRIP category, that has all these really tiny xvid and x264 files. Some of them are 720p. Like feature length videos from 800MB to 2GB. That's really low quality. Might be where the confusion is coming from. It looks like it's BluRay as a source, but not the proper quality.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any idea on when NZBs.org might open registration again? I mean, if they're staying open and all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I think it's on github as CouchPotatoServer or something like that. If you don't have a git client you can just bookmark the zipball master and manually update. There weren't any pre-compiled builds for Windows that I saw last time, you have to run it through python.

Is there any word on when windows build will be coming for this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Is there any word on when windows build will be coming for this?

Not that I know of. Last time I asked about a Windows build someone just said no plans yet and when people ask about beta releases of CP v2 he just points to the github. Compiling the Windows build is a pain in the rear end so it likely won't be done until its ready for wide release. If you have the option, just installing a copy of Python 2.7 takes a minute and then you can just run whatever you want from source (maraschino, sickbeard, CP, etc).

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 21, 2012

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."
Just took the plunge and wanted to say what a great program this is. I have been tweaking with it all day and it's just slick. Many thanks from an appreciative user.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nevermind, found what I was looking for

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

89 posted:

Any idea on when NZBs.org might open registration again? I mean, if they're staying open and all.

Supposedly they will be giving out invites once they are fully transitioned to the beta site.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How long does this new CP take to scan your movies? It has been hours now and I haven't even seen a movie in the list yet.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My Astraweb account failed to renew since I didn't give them my new CC, and I can't reactivate it because my login session immediately expires. Since I can't find any way of fixing this, is there a Usenet seller that has an actual working loving login page that is at least as good as Astraweb?

e: oh wait I fixed it by going to the wrong domain name which then gave me a security warning but let me login properly. Still want a better company to move to.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

This page has the options with the back-end providers:

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgroup_server_resellers

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

bort posted:

This page has the options with the back-end providers:

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/newsgroup_server_resellers

Is there a consensus on the favorite of the Big 4 backends (Astraweb, Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews)?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

bloodynose posted:

Is there a consensus on the favorite of the Big 4 backends (Astraweb, Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews)?
Giganews with a block account of either highwinds or astraweb (or both)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Highwinds has sometimes been recommended against, since they have the most resellers and hence the most exposure to DMCA takedowns. Giganews (Supernews) has some of the best pricing, and Astraweb is also competitive. Astraweb is an EU-based company (but has US-based servers), which is why I chose them. As I'll outline below, it doesn't matter too much which you choose if you can choose two.

One frequent recommendation is to pick Giganews or Astraweb as your unlimited provider and use Blocknews (Readnews) as a backup provider. Regardless of the specifics, having both an unlimited and a block plan from different providers is a solid way to ensure completion. There are recent block offerings with larger, cheaper block plans that change the economics of block plans mentioned in the OP, and that might make having two or more block plans attractive, too.

One other thing to note: Blocknews allows account sharing, and since backup server usage is pretty sporadic with an unlimited plan, pooling your resources with a friend can be cost-effective for your backup plan.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

PirateDentist posted:

Fake edit: I think I found some of these files, at NZBMatrix there is a BRRIP category, that has all these really tiny xvid and x264 files. Some of them are 720p. Like feature length videos from 800MB to 2GB. That's really low quality. Might be where the confusion is coming from. It looks like it's BluRay as a source, but not the proper quality.

According to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirated_movie_release_types

quote:

A common misconception among downloaders is that BDRip and BRRip are the same thing. They differ in that a BDRip comes directly from the Blu-ray source, while a BRRip is encoded from a pre-release, usually from a 1080p BDRip from another group.

Of course that's just wikipedia and it's not like there's government-mandated control over these labels.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bort posted:

One other thing to note: Blocknews allows account sharing, and since backup server usage is pretty sporadic with an unlimited plan, pooling your resources with a friend can be cost-effective for your backup plan.
Pretty much all block account plans on any provider will allow you to account share. They don't care, because you paid for a specific amount of bandwidth. It's the unlimited accounts that are always limited to one IP address at a time.

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Welp, at least my 10 dollar donation at DOGnzb won't go to waste.

I think I actually might prefer DOGnzb to NZBs.org. But maybe that's just me.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Police Academy 6 posted:

I think I actually might prefer DOGnzb to NZBs.org. But maybe that's just me.

Do you mean in the amount of content or site design? I really like NZBs.org's site design (their beta design looks a lot worse imo)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I will throw in my 2 cents and say that I use blocknews and blocknews only as my primary usenet provider.

my internet is :australia: capped :australia: to 75GB on peak + 75GB off peak data a month. Depending what I want to download that month Im not pushing any more than maybe 50GB or so a month. it makes no sense to have a subscription of $10 a month when I cant actually use more than 150GB a month anyway.

in the last 2 years I have spend $140 on blocks (100GB to test the waters, 200 to keep on keepin on and then a 500GB block once i got sickbeard and currently half way through another 500GB block) which, if I had used a $10/mo sub it would be double that with no additional perk to me. I very rarely have completion issues, even on older stuff.

I mean, you guys in places that have no restrictions, it makes sense to not have restrictions on your usenet either, but for me and the amount i download, blocknews is pretty much the best deal.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

mistermojo posted:

Do you mean in the amount of content or site design? I really like NZBs.org's site design (their beta design looks a lot worse imo)
On the beta site, go into your profile and set the template to 'classic'.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Lone_Strider posted:

On the beta site, go into your profile and set the template to 'classic'.

Thanks for this! Didn't even know they had a classic one. Back to normal! I also tossed :10bux: toward DogNZB, but I like to have alternative indexes anyways. In case of site downtime mostly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So it looks like nzbs.org is still up?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Bucket Joneses posted:

So it looks like nzbs.org is still up?

Looks like it. But I wish I knew what had spooked him.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

Looks like it. But I wish I knew what had spooked him.

I don't think anything spooked him, I think it was more of a money thing. Newznab is a resource hog and for a popular site requires a pricey server setup. Hes always been against forcing people to pay for access but I'm fairly sure he will be seeking donations to keep it going.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

bloodynose posted:

Giganews and highwinds will always be a hit or miss clusterfuck not knowing if what you want will be in one piece. Sure, some will say just get it as soon as its posted but i (we) are not at the point (due to other competitors) where we need or should have to, gimp along and base our download schedules off of them.

scopophilia
Aug 11, 2004

Not a man to be trifled with.

wolrah posted:

I think the "Send to SAB" option has the site actually connect directly to your SAB instance, so you have to have SAB available to the internet for it to work. On the plus side, this means you can queue things up from anywhere on the internet.

nzbdstatus on Firefox and SABconnect++ on Chrome seem to work fine with it though if you want to stay local. It's just Newznab with a few tweaks.

This is awesome that this is a feature on the site now. Only complaint is that it doesn't send the category to SAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Laserface posted:

I will throw in my 2 cents and say that I use blocknews and blocknews only as my primary usenet provider.

my internet is :australia: capped :australia: to 75GB on peak + 75GB off peak data a month. Depending what I want to download that month Im not pushing any more than maybe 50GB or so a month. it makes no sense to have a subscription of $10 a month when I cant actually use more than 150GB a month anyway.

in the last 2 years I have spend $140 on blocks (100GB to test the waters, 200 to keep on keepin on and then a 500GB block once i got sickbeard and currently half way through another 500GB block) which, if I had used a $10/mo sub it would be double that with no additional perk to me. I very rarely have completion issues, even on older stuff.

I mean, you guys in places that have no restrictions, it makes sense to not have restrictions on your usenet either, but for me and the amount i download, blocknews is pretty much the best deal.

Umm dude, look into getting your plan upgraded. Even telstra offer 200gb on there $69 plan. Also If you are australian and you are on internode/iinet use there newservice as you get about 35 days retention for free.