Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

This may be exceedingly obvious, but is there any particular reason Autodesk's Smoke re-releases have been Mac-exclusive?

I assume it's something to do with IFF/S coming from Linux, but can anyone elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm looking for a thread that I presume would exist. I'm thinking about finally getting a smartphone and wanted to see if there was a megathread around that would have some info about what to check out. Anyone know if there's a thread for this?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Probably Here or any of the mobile OS-threads in IYG.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Short version- unless you're really looking forward to hacking and customizing your phone, or writing apps on a non-Apple computer, get an iPhone.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

haveblue posted:

Short version- unless you're really looking forward to hacking and customizing your phone, or writing apps on a non-Apple computer, get an iPhone.

Not necessarily true - depends on how much you care about applications. Some people get a smartphone simply because it's an internet-enabled mobile telephone.
Anyway yeah, probably best to go to the recommendation thread Samposa linked to and explain your priorities.

edit: new question,
I've been thinking, I know way too little about the UK phone hacking scandal. Can anyone recommend a good, condensed (2-10 minute read) summary of the whole affair so far? What started it, who ended up being involved in the growing web of wtf, etc.
If it's relevant, preferably one written for an audience who doesn't necessarily know who's-who by name in british politics.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 19, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

alnilam posted:

Not necessarily true - depends on how much you care about applications. Some people get a smartphone simply because it's an internet-enabled mobile telephone.
Anyway yeah, probably best to go to the recommendation thread Samposa linked to and explain your priorities.

edit: new question,
I've been thinking, I know way too little about the UK phone hacking scandal. Can anyone recommend a good, condensed (2-10 minute read) summary of the whole affair so far? What started it, who ended up being involved in the growing web of wtf, etc.
If it's relevant, preferably one written for an audience who doesn't necessarily know who's-who by name in british politics.

It isn't all in one place but the OP and sources it links to are very good in the D&D thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448555

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Shit, really? They don't?! :,(
I was trying to get a job at the front desk of a really nice hotel in my area. They were very interested in me during the initial interview, but didn't call back. Eventually I gave up.

I got a call early this morning, it was the hotel. They said they were going to hire me, but first I had to take a drug test, and I had to do it before noon today. I just got back, and am panicking real bad.

I have never done a single drug in my whole life, never even tried pot. But the last few days, I have been drinking a lot (celebrating with friends) and I am worried that I will fail the test because of it.

I am typically a lightweight - I weigh 110lbs and am usually buzzed after a few shots. We were drinking Svedka vodka (80 proof), just doing straight shots with Gatorade as a chaser. I averaged 5-6 shots a night every night this week, and lastnight I hit 7 total between 8pm and 12:30ish. I went to sleep at 2 and woke up at 8, the drug test was at 11:30. My copy of the paperwork says it was a 5 panel drug test which I know doesn't test for alcohol but in the "other" category, it seems to say "etoh" which would be alcohol.

Am I being paranoid or could I be denied the job?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
You sound really paranoid. Alcohol is legal (and even if you're underage, employers can't ask for your age) so you have nothing to worry about.

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Knightmare posted:

You sound really paranoid. Alcohol is legal (and even if you're underage, employers can't ask for your age) so you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah.. I probably am. I guess I am worried because the paper says it was requested (next to "other" it says etoh requested) and I figure since the employers have to pay for the tests, why would they bother paying for an extra test if it didn't matter? :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Aintain posted:

Yeah.. I probably am. I guess I am worried because the paper says it was requested (next to "other" it says etoh requested) and I figure since the employers have to pay for the tests, why would they bother paying for an extra test if it didn't matter? :(
My friend works at a drug testing place and I just asked her. You should pass an etoh test unless you had a drink a within a few hours of the test. The etg test is the one that can pick up on stuff from a longer period.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Yeah, ethanol is metabolized by your system fairly quickly. As long as you don't go in drunk you should be right as rain!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They may have requested it because they just request the same drug test for everyone, including new hires (you) and people that just got hurt at work (the guy they want to see if they're drunk or not.)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Travakian posted:

This may be exceedingly obvious, but is there any particular reason Autodesk's Smoke re-releases have been Mac-exclusive?

I assume it's something to do with IFF/S coming from Linux, but can anyone elaborate?

This is probably way too niche a question for this forum, I would try one of the post production threads:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367934

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114758

There's some rotoscopers meandering about over there.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a way, preferably in firefox, to block images/adds based on the url they link to when clicked?

The name of the image is something like https://www.goodsite.com/stringofnumbers.jpg. Mousing over it shows a link to https://www.badsite.com/whatever.

Adblock doesn't work since it only looks at the name of the image, not where it links to I guess.

Any ideas on this, I found the firefox addon blocksite, which breaks the hyperlink of the picture, but the ads themselves still show up.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This is probably way too niche a question for this forum, I would try one of the post production threads:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367934

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114758

There's some rotoscopers meandering about over there.

Thanks.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Could someone tell me what this spider is? In the last week I've been killing at least 4 a day, and I'm worried that they're an unholy union of black widows and brown recluses (probably not, but ohgodspider). I got as close as I dared with a camera (read: 6 feet away) and zoooooomed in.

I already googled "brown spider NY" but it didn't turn up any useful info. :(

I'm in New York and they're no bigger than a quarter (including legs) if they really spread themselves out, but normally they're in a dime-sized area. I don't believe the internet that they couldn't possibly be brown recluses that escaped from a nearby lab/crazy person's house.

Linked for absolute huuuuuuuuge.

What do they want?! :supaburn:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Try asking the people in the Critterquest thread.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Try asking the people in the Critterquest thread.

I'll try there. Thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What involves an ace of spades + an angry looking man = a blonde lady and I think some chicken drumsticks?

edit: nevermind

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 20, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Today I found out the hard way that none of the keys for my car work on the doors - only the ignition. Is there a way I can get a key made, or would I just have to get all new locks?

Aintain
Apr 6, 2007

Thank you guys for your help. I think I worry too much.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My friend works at a drug testing place and I just asked her. You should pass an etoh test unless you had a drink a within a few hours of the test. The etg test is the one that can pick up on stuff from a longer period.

Aw, thank you for asking your friend, please tell her it's appreciated!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

hooah posted:

Today I found out the hard way that none of the keys for my car work on the doors - only the ignition. Is there a way I can get a key made, or would I just have to get all new locks?

That's weird. You should have a key that's identical for the ignition/door, or two keys, one for doors and trunk, one for ignition.

Take the VIN and registration to a [your make] dealer and they might be able to fix you up.

Also, what is the make/model?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

That's weird. You should have a key that's identical for the ignition/door, or two keys, one for doors and trunk, one for ignition.

Take the VIN and registration to a [your make] dealer and they might be able to fix you up.

I had a Subaru Outback that had a separate key for the tailgate. It was because of the fact that it had had its rear end clipped off, presumably in an accident, and a new one Frankensteined on. The Carfax did not mention this salient bit of information.

My mom pointed out that the wear on the bottom parts of the fenders and doors didn't match front to back. :negative:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

dee eight posted:

It's a '98 Ford Taurus. It's not a big deal as long as my (brand new) battery doesn't die in the next year.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
What's a good way to resize very large jpg files without mucking up the quality? I tried figuring out Irfanview's batch resize, comes out looking very jagged and poor quality.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

What's a good way to resize very large jpg files without mucking up the quality? I tried figuring out Irfanview's batch resize, comes out looking very jagged and poor quality.

Irfanview does let you change the quality of the conversion.

Batch Conversion Settings, Options > Save Quality

(Just in case this wasn't the first thing you tried.)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
What would happen if you lined up a row of dominoes, but each domino was progressively infinitesimally larger than the last one? So you start with a regular sized domino, then say 1,000,000 dominoes later you end up with one the size of a door? And then you push the first domino, would it end up knocking over the door-sized one?

My brain says no, but my heart, my stupid stupid heart says it would.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

quadrophrenic posted:

What would happen if you lined up a row of dominoes, but each domino was progressively infinitesimally larger than the last one? So you start with a regular sized domino, then say 1,000,000 dominoes later you end up with one the size of a door? And then you push the first domino, would it end up knocking over the door-sized one?

Well sure it'd work. All that needs to happen is the smaller domino needs to be able to have enough energy to knock the bigger one off balance, which it certainly should.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I realized today that I'm paying over five bucks for two paprikas... but they have at least a hundred seeds inside. How hard is it to grow more paprikas from those seeds?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

hooah posted:

It's a '98 Ford Taurus. It's not a big deal as long as my (brand new) battery doesn't die in the next year.

It still wouldn't hurt to have a key, just in case. Like I said, the local Ford dealer can probably do a key relatively cheap.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

If the change was small enough sure it would work. Just has to hit it at the right angle to the force unbalances it. Im sure someone whos a maths wizard could figure out the exact size/position/weight/footprint etc.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Most of the energy used to knock over the next domino would come from setting up the current domino in the first place, not the initial push on the first domino.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
My mom is about to travel from the US to Ireland with her CPAP machine. There is no switch on the back to change the voltage. On the back it says "12V=5.0amps". I am assuming she needs a converter and a plug adapter? Can someone recommend what to buy?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ThirstyGirl posted:

My mom is about to travel from the US to Ireland with her CPAP machine. There is no switch on the back to change the voltage. On the back it says "12V=5.0amps". I am assuming she needs a converter and a plug adapter? Can someone recommend what to buy?

Does the unit plug straight into the wall?

Or is it an external power brick/wallwart and then a thin cable plugs into the machine?

If the latter, then you can get these adaptors anywhere

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

spog posted:

Does the unit plug straight into the wall?

Or is it an external power brick/wallwart and then a thin cable plugs into the machine?

If the latter, then you can get these adaptors anywhere

It has the latter. So she just needs an adapter for the plug then? Sorry, just want to make sure. I don't want her to blow it up. :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ThirstyGirl posted:

It has the latter. So she just needs an adapter for the plug then? Sorry, just want to make sure. I don't want her to blow it up. :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/034460/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWER+ADAPTOR.htm

Somthing similar to this looks like it might do the job.

Just checking: the power brick that you already have, does it say '110-220v' next to the '12V=5.0amps'?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Disappointing egg posted:

Most of the energy used to knock over the next domino would come from setting up the current domino in the first place, not the initial push on the first domino.

Gravity provides most of the energy used to knock over the next domino. That amount of energy only needs to be enough to destabilize the next domino so gravity can make it fall into the next one ect.

Progressively larger dominoes could work, but would always be subject to weather the force generated by one falling would be enough to destabilize the one after it. This could go either way depending on the shape of the dominoes and how fast they are getting larger.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

Let's try it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97rBdSYbkg

"A domino can knock over another domino about 50% larger than itself."

Q.E.D.!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThirstyGirl posted:

You might want to call/have her call the manufacturer and ask them what is needed to use it in Ireland. Just to make sure and all.

A full on convertor, one of those devices that'll plug into the wall in Ireland and give you an American outlet with power output the same as an American wall outlet does - that would 100% work. But those are more expensive, bulky, etc than just plain plug convertors could be. If the company confirms that you can simply use a different cord/plug adapter while using the device in Ireland, you'd be best off doing that.

Something like this will be sufficient to convert the electricity and give you an American outlet to plug in worry free:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Converter-Adapter-50-1600/dp/B001R57TD8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1334935426&sr=8-8

Though not that specific one, since the Amazon reviews say that particular one is unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

spog posted:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/034460/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWER+ADAPTOR.htm

Somthing similar to this looks like it might do the job.

Just checking: the power brick that you already have, does it say '110-220v' next to the '12V=5.0amps'?

I'm not sure...I will check when I visit her tonight.

Install Gentoo posted:

Something like this will be sufficient to convert the electricity and give you an American outlet to plug in worry free:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Voltage-Converter-Adapter-50-1600/dp/B001R57TD8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1334935426&sr=8-8

Though not that specific one, since the Amazon reviews say that particular one is unreliable.

What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-200-Converter-International-Blackberry/dp/B000W9DJ1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_0