Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This.

Not only is the talking baby creepy, that is the worst name for a product that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Lisa's internal voice in that Verizon/Lucid commercial is driving me insane.

They're actually reusing the footage, it was originally a Droid X2 commercial with the woman saying she could use it for productivity or some bullshit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

They're actually reusing the footage, it was originally a Droid X2 commercial with the woman saying she could use it for productivity or some bullshit.

Holy poo poo I knew it looked familiar.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
The Zooey Deschanel commercial bothers me as well. What is supposed to be appealing exactly about an adult who acts like a 4 year old girl/is confused by life?

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Industrial posted:

The Zooey Deschanel commercial bothers me as well. What is supposed to be appealing exactly about an adult who acts like a 4 year old girl/is confused by life?

I guess that's society's new definition of "quirky". I dunno about anyone else but when I see girls act "quirky" it makes me want to jump off a cliff. We're not exactly the target market of that commercial though. The market, of course, being vapid high school girls.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Industrial posted:

Behold the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Behold, and despair, for all your works are naught against her quirkiness!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

CapnAndy posted:

Behold the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Behold, and despair, for all your works are naught against her quirkiness!

But thankfully experts are had at work on a cure for the condition.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

I think the reason it creeps me out so much is that I used to do special education assessments and other than the fact that she is reasonably attractive her persona is really no different than that of a mid-70s IQ high school student. If that is actually attractive/appealing to adults I don't even want to think about what that says for the human condition.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't know, I think you guys are missing who her typecasting is supposed to appeal to. It's aimed at the group that was referred to as the tail end of gen-x and beyond crowd. As a group they were pretty much told that they were all special snowflakes and to never compromise themselves, and be carefree.

Compound that with the generalization that as a group they're all pretty aimless. I mean sure some have goals and are working toward them, but the traditional sense of a career is dead, we work a job until something better comes along. There is no longer such a thing as starting at a company and working your way up anymore.

She's meant to appeal to that. She's meant to who we want to be, carefree and unburdened by the expectations of society. Someone who can just stay home and order tomato soup because it's raining.

Then again, my favorite character of hers was the alcoholic roommate in "Failure to Launch," which is fortunately also the only thing I remember about that movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Industrial posted:

Hey now, she also sings a lot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

404GoonNotFound posted:

But thankfully experts are had at work on a cure for the condition.

The way the guy says "We got married in a fuckin' bouncy castle!" made me bust out laughing for a good minute.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Industrial posted:

I usually like her but that commercial annoys me too. Yes, we know she's quirky. That commercial is overkill.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Are you all talking about the Zooey iphone commercial? Cause I just now saw that and it was pretty terrible. I'd seen her cotton commercial and couldn't imagine what was all that horrible about her yesterday when I saw the poo poo talking start.

MPDG rehab video was hilarious.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 25, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think the weirdest thing about that commercial is that they push the quirky thing so far it's almost become a parody of itself by this point. But she was kind of the first one to really rock this whole quirky personality as her whole thing, so I guess she's making fun of herself here?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Maybe she likes money, which Apple has a lot of, especially when it comes to advertising

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I doubt she had much say in the commercial's script or anything, and she probably got paid pretty well for it. I saw one immediately before the Zooey one featuring Samuel L. Jackson, so they're probably spending a lot on this campaign.

Everything about her performance in it seems so forced, too. It's bad enough that she's "silly and so goddamn quirky". Jhe just seems so uninterested in everything that instead of it coming off as her being naturally quirky, it seems more like she is some sort of android that was asked to watch a few things with Zooey in them and go from there.

e: In other commercial news, ad makers need to stop using babies. Talking babies, dancing babies, driving babies, bearded babies. Just babies everywhere. Cut it out.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Vicas posted:

I think the weirdest thing about that commercial is that they push the quirky thing so far it's almost become a parody of itself by this point. But she was kind of the first one to really rock this whole quirky personality as her whole thing, so I guess she's making fun of herself here?

She appeared on SNL in a skit explicitly making fun of her, I think she's just taking a piss at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Atasi posted:

She appeared on SNL in a skit explicitly making fun of her, I think she's just taking a piss at this point.

I think she just got the paycheck and phoned that in. Oh she has to ask if it's raining even though it is! And she doesn't want real shoes! Today is for dancing! It's a vintage song!

I like her but the commercial is way too forced.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Hey now, she also sings a lot.

To be fair, anyone looks better when paired with Jean-Ralphio. He's like a human Armani.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo I knew it looked familiar.

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsm1b3LiCNk

I don't think there's many ads written worse than Verizon's. There's never a sentence you'd hear coming out of a human's mouth.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RvyFFjP7RE

Saw this while watching South Park on comedy central. Got a big "What the gently caress?" out of me, it looks like something done by Tim & Eric.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Industrial posted:

Okay, have literally none of you ever spent a lazy day at home? You get days off, don't you?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone in the DC Metro area that watches CSN, MASN or any local sports will understand that these channels love to have 2 or 3 ads they love to run 24/7.

Well currently its this Nissan ad where we "sell a car every minute" so every 5 seconds of this commercial there is an obnoxious siren that plays. The noise immediately sends me into a fit of rage.

(Side note: This goddamn commercial came on as I was typing these 5 sentences. I want to kill someone after watching Nats and Caps play tonight..)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, have literally none of you ever spent a lazy day at home? You get days off, don't you?

There's a limit to how many days you can spend at home lazing around before you start to get a little :shepface:. Going stir-crazy is a real thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There's a limit to how many days you can spend at home lazing around before you start to get a little :shepface:. Going stir-crazy is a real thing.

Oh, I know, but in the commercial itself it's nothing too outrageous or even insanely quirky. Unless the standards for excessive quirk have changed.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think it's more the whole asking your phone if it's raining outside while staring out a window sort of thing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kanish posted:

Anyone in the DC Metro area

So do you want to throttle the life from the people that thought that King's Dominion commercial was a good idea? Because I just saw it and...I want to feel the life draining from them as their heart slows and I see the pleading, desperate look in their eyes and all they see back is the cold but gleeful expression in mine as I know that the world will never know the torment of another commercial like those ones.

:stare:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dangerous Person posted:

I think it's more the whole asking your phone if it's raining outside while staring out a window sort of thing.
Eh. Judging by the Sam Jackson ad, the tone of the campaign seems to be "celebrities having a conversation with their phone to show off what Siri can do, sacrificing realism for keeping the celebrity's persona coming through". Jackson reacts incredulously to his phone confirming a reminder because yeah, he wants to chill his gazpacho! That's a silly way to talk to your phone too, but it works because they're going for an actual conversation treating the phone like it's a person.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CapnAndy posted:

Eh. Judging by the Sam Jackson ad, the tone of the campaign seems to be "celebrities having a conversation with their phone to show off what Siri can do, sacrificing realism for keeping the celebrity's persona coming through". Jackson reacts incredulously to his phone confirming a reminder because yeah, he wants to chill his gazpacho! That's a silly way to talk to your phone too, but it works because they're going for an actual conversation treating the phone like it's a person.

Yeah, it is easier to make dinner for Siri than it is a live human being... Now if only I could get one of those to come over for dinner, it would be awesome.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sorry but the Sam Jackson one is awesome.

Yeah! Unless you like hotspacho!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nut Bunnies posted:

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsm1b3LiCNk

I don't think there's many ads written worse than Verizon's. There's never a sentence you'd hear coming out of a human's mouth.

To be fair, they aren't coming out of a human's mouth... they are thinking it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

AT&T's 4g LTE- "That's soo 30 seconds ago. Every single one of them."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvVVQGgbKk0

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

Industrial posted:

Just came here to post about this commercial. I've never understood the neckbeard obsession with this girl. "Ooh I'm so awkward and quirky, don't you just love me?!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SON OF A BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2wtNYkngvA

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Gonz posted:

SON OF A BITCH

That's pretty bad. Kinda really glad I saw that here 1st instead of being surprised by it on TV.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Gonz posted:

SON OF A BITCH

Yeah, I've seen that one as well. :wtc:

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
Just saw a Dunkin Donuts commercial of a group of hipsters sitting on some front steps talking about "artisan" bagels. I've never wanted to punch somebody in the face more than after watching that video.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gonz posted:

SON OF A BITCH

I saw the tail end of that commercial the other day and I think it is about as bad as I thought.

It's still not as bad as the one from a year or two ago where a girl was talking to her mom in "text speak" by saying the first letter of every word she says. I don't remember which carrier it was for (probably Verizon going by how bad their ads are), so I can't find it, but I'm sure at least one or two people remember it and how horrible it was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny since the AT&T/T-Mobile merger got the kibosh put on it they're bringing back the T-Mobile girl. Except now she's all edgy and on a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sure I do but they don't typically involve me being confused by water falling from the sky or trying to order a single bowl of tomato soup for delivery.