Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

nuncle jimbo posted:

Thrash, huh? How about something catchy and 'fun' like whiplash, exodus, or kill em all (yeah I know but that album still owns)?

Well, I'd be a poor metalhead indeed if I didn't know about Kill Em All ( unless that is also a band) and while Exodus took me some time to get, they have a special spot on my playlists. Gonna check out Whiplash though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Hey, guys. Just stopping by to drop off Kreator's shiny, new cover of "Number of the Beast". gently caress yeah.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
For anyone interested, Mitochondrion debuted a new song live the other night. The quality is good, the song is also good. These guys released one of the most twisted death metal albums of last year (Parasignosis). Any other fans here?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Hey, guys. Just stopping by to drop off Kreator's shiny, new cover of "Number of the Beast". gently caress yeah.

If I'm alone here, that's fine, but I really feel like they just took a big fat stinky poo poo all over an amazing song. I like Kreator a bit, but certain songs don't lend themselves to being covered well, which is why I wish heavier metal bands would stop covering Iron Maiden. If you can't match Bruce Dickinson's intensity and awesomeness you should just not touch their songs. :argh:

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

nomapple posted:

For anyone interested, Mitochondrion debuted a new song live the other night. The quality is good, the song is also good. These guys released one of the most twisted death metal albums of last year (Parasignosis). Any other fans here?

Totally! Parasignosis is mental. I'm always really disappointed by the way the album wraps up though. There's so much momentum going into the end and then it just totally falls apart. Archaeaeon had much better pacing.

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 30, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
New Kreator isn't very good but "Pleasure to Kill" is a better album than anything Iron Maiden has ever released.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're just straight tripping balls, wow.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

nomapple posted:

NEKROMANTHEON!

I can't hype this band enough, they released their 2nd album in 2012 but it sounds like Pleasure to Kill era Kreator, hope you enjoy!

Oh yes, heavily seconded. Nekromantheon 2012 has a pretty strong Slayer circa 1985 flavour, I'd say. Bonus points for Greek mythology theme.

A few of their tunes can be found on youtube, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqWIx79jE

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on he two deiiferent versions of Serpent Temptation by Incubus. Which one do you like better?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bagsack posted:

Totally! Parasignosis is mental. I'm always really disappointed by the way the album wraps up though. There's so much momentum going into the end and then it just totally falls apart. Archaeaeon had much better pacing.

Gonna have to disagree with you here! I felt Archaeaeon was really drawn out, but I have listened to Parasignosis far more, and am more than willing to give Archaeaeon another try. I will report back with my findings some time. I remember it having some truly stellar tracks though.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on he two deiiferent versions of Serpent Temptation by Incubus. Which one do you like better?

The older one, it's more raw and the vocals don't sound so much like Max Cavalera's.

The main thing I remember about Incubus was when the cd store guy tried to give me the speech about how they weren't the popular Incubus when I bought the Serpent Temptation/Beyond the Unknown digipack a million years ago. I was all like "no man, I know what's up." The guy was pretty impressed.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Fat metal

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metalness perhaps debatable, compensating with extra fat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

hemophilia posted:

If I'm alone here, that's fine, but I really feel like they just took a big fat stinky poo poo all over an amazing song. I like Kreator a bit, but certain songs don't lend themselves to being covered well, which is why I wish heavier metal bands would stop covering Iron Maiden. If you can't match Bruce Dickinson's intensity and awesomeness you should just not touch their songs. :argh:

I dunno, I think they did a pretty good job of putting their own spin on it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

From the makers of Holographic Tupac comes: Holographic Dimebag

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"We're like Pantera, only fatter!"

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Vargatron posted:

"We're like Pantera, only fatter!"

Not if Phil has anything to say about that!

rogamberto
Jan 30, 2009
Caught the Meshuggah/Baroness show in Houston last night. I wish Decapitated had no singer, because the music - especially the guitarist - had some interesting things going on, while the vocals did not. Meshuggah was pretty much exactly like they've been every other time I've seen 'em. Not that that's particularly a bad thing, but there were no surprises, other than how much of Obzen they played (which was fine by me). They also did a few from Koloss, Mind's Mirrors interlude, Rational Gaze, FBM, NMCC (gently caress yeah).

Baroness was fantastic - I want to see these guys every time they come back through. Last time I saw them (w/ Clutch) the Blue album hadn't come out yet, and I told my friend that I could tell what they were going for but felt like they just weren't quite there yet... they're loving there. Harmonies, intensity dynamics, energy, presence, just a rock-solid performance all around. I love these guys. It was a bit disheartening to try and watch the crowd make sense of them, and then hear people bad-mouthing them afterwards. Also, they only played 7 songs: Isak (dat INTRO) was the only one from Red; Golgotha, Steel/Swollen&Halo, Sweetest Curse, and Gnashing from Blue; two what I guess are new ones (not from First/Second) which sounded fantastic.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Yea, they have a double album, Yellow & Green, coming out in July. It's great to hear that they put on a good show, I want so bad to see them live.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Distant Mist posted:

That's fantastic, thanks for this!

Yeah, this is really nice. Reminds me a lot of Voivod mixed with... I dunno, Faith No More or something.

edit: Whoops, didn't realise there were two more pages of thread when I posted this. It was in reference to a band called Wizard Rifle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDcG5naGX4

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 30, 2012

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008
The best thing is clicking links and not expecting much but getting to know an awesome band. Nekromantheon sounds great, too.

I can't offer new great music so instead have another fat metal video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfM0uXKPYxk

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Unholy poo poo! I discovered today that we get a new Bosse De Nage album in June! Better still, there is a track streaming at Profound Lore now. Anyone who listened to the brilliance of Bosse De Nage's album "II" last year will know that this is essential listening. For the uninitiated they are a crazy avante garde black metal band who write very dark and unsettling music. From memory, II featured very high up on Grim Kim's top albums of 2011 writeup for Metalsucks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jesus Christ, even his voice is fat. :stare:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

I thought this was pretty funny so I listened to more of their music and their lead guitarist is pretty terrible.

Also it was pretty funny to see that huge dude singing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9IZlQAh58

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

How about that. Blues Traveler Guy has an Uncle Molester, too.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Did someone say fat metal?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Houseplant posted:

Eh, it's not much of a big deal when it's the whole operatic style and the video is filmed entirely in myspace angles.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I would like to third third or fourth or whatever that this new Diablo Swing Orchestra is the poo poo. Their last album felt a little too monotonous, but this one is just all over the place. It's much better for it, too.

Also, Huntress - Spell Eater. I feel like I should hate this album, but I can't bring myself too. It's so fun. Plus they gave me a free t-shirt off of their facebook.

Houseplant posted:

...is that Alexi Laiho?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Flynn Taggart posted:

...is that Alexi Laiho?
and his then-girlfriend

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Flynn Taggart posted:

...is that Alexi Laiho?
Yep, that's him alright!
Sinergy released three albums, the last of which is actually pretty good, because they stopped sounding loving weak and lame and Goss started singing more balls-out intensely: http://youtu.be/DS7VP4EBAB8

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I've been reading some books about the history of metal lately. And sort of listening to various bands they mention that I haven't listened to much of while I read.

Am I crazy or is Stryper actually pretty good? Against the Law is actually kind of awesome.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone going to the Baroness / Meshuggah shows let me know what time Baroness ends their set, or what time the show ended? I'm going to the DC show, but our ridiculous rail system shuts down at midnight on weekdays and I need to decide whether to drive or ride the train.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 1, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Metal Thread #8803268 - Fat metal is the best metal

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So I've been reading some books about the history of metal lately. And sort of listening to various bands they mention that I haven't listened to much of while I read.

Am I crazy or is Stryper actually pretty good? Against the Law is actually kind of awesome.

Their lead guitarist is really good. It's a shame he wasted his life on a christian band that I'll never take seriously.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
New(ish) Jeff Loomis is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAl0KPmkhEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNoFS1d9fcY I dig it.

rogamberto
Jan 30, 2009

me your dad posted:

Can anyone going to the Baroness / Meshuggah shows let me know what time Baroness ends their set, or what time the show ended?

Doors opened at 6, Decapitated went on at about 8:00, we left at about 12:30. Not sure exactly on set lengths and start times.

Tree Limbz
Dec 8, 2004

I am not a fucking hippie, god damnit.
Jon Oliva has the chubs metal market cornered.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54eZyO3cdGg

Michael Romeo rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016