Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
I'm really digging Republique and after throwing some coin into Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns i've been looking for another project to help out with that looks interesting.

I'm a little concerned about the fairly new addition of the PC/Mac version, though. It feels a little bit like it's just being thrown in to meet the kickstarter target. I don't own an iPad or iPhone so is this a project I should probably avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Considering their main focus is making a AAA game for iOS, you can probably safely avoid it. Check out the second post for some cool Kickstarters worth your cash.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

I would greatly appreciate a sticky in games.

You should probably PM one of the mods with a politely-worded request.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

octoroon posted:

You should probably PM one of the mods with a politely-worded request.

Already done! Didn't want to spam all of them, and I know they check here as well.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nekro got itself funded while no-one was looking.

The developers have 3 days to raise another $10,500 for their Nekro customization stretch goal, and $40,500 for a P2P co-op mode.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm glad Nekro made it, was getting a bit worried how close it was going to cut it.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Verge, er, Polygon has a little interview with the FleetCOMM guys. Game looks kind of interesting, and the goal is modest, be interesting to see if they pull it off with the low amount of time left. Looks like it's trying to be a more tactical sort of space RTS-kind of thing.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/30/2989891/former-zynga-engineer-kickstarts-sci-fi-military-game

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mercenary-games/vigrior-maneuver-warfare

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
I feel like too many space games are either one-man fighter sims, top down fleet strategy, or mercenary/trade simulators. What was the name of that game where you controlled your little crew guys and told them to put out fires and poo poo? Now that was a really great unique idea that I hope got funded.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The Nekro guys just backed us! :woop: and had a very nice message to go along with it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Narmi posted:

So it's fair to say that people are willing to take a bigger risk now and are more confident that they'll enjoy the game (since they're willing to pay more).

I for one, boosted my pledge from $15 to $50 after the video :)

His accent had nothing to do with it, I swear.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

emoticon posted:

I feel like too many space games are either one-man fighter sims, top down fleet strategy, or mercenary/trade simulators. What was the name of that game where you controlled your little crew guys and told them to put out fires and poo poo? Now that was a really great unique idea that I hope got funded.

Star Command. It exceeded its funding by something like 200% I think.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Star Command. It exceeded its funding by something like 200% I think.

I think he meant FTL, which... yeah, they did okay. I hope they know how to handle a much larger hunk of money than they were expecting.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I think he meant FTL, which... yeah, they did okay. I hope they know how to handle a much larger hunk of money than they were expecting.

His description was pretty vague.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

HEVampersand posted:

I'm really digging Republique and after throwing some coin into Wasteland 2, The Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns i've been looking for another project to help out with that looks interesting.

I'm a little concerned about the fairly new addition of the PC/Mac version, though. It feels a little bit like it's just being thrown in to meet the kickstarter target. I don't own an iPad or iPhone so is this a project I should probably avoid?

Yeah, I felt the same way. It looks really cool but I don't own a smartphone. If they'd had plans for a PC version from the beginning I'd put down 15$ or so.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
I did mean FTL (which did way more than okay!), but Star Command looks interesting too. It seems to have more of a Game Dev Story vibe where the focus is on buying upgrades and building stats, whereas FTL looks to be more focused on managing your crew during combat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think I found the answer to my question earlier about how far "slavish fan devotion for 1980s computer games" goes:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subgames/rob-swigarts-portal-1986-reborn

This actually looks amazing (I mean, insofar as what they want to do), but I am fairly certain that Rod Swigart's name does not carry as much weight as Brian Fargo's.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
RPS finally covered Nekro. The game is so right up their alley that their vow against inadvertently funding any KS seemed a bit ridiculous here.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/01/keeping-that-dungeon-warm-nekro-is-a-go-go/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FleetCOMM looks kind of interesting, but I have a hard time figuring out exactly what it plays like from the kickstarter.

It probably doesn't help that by the third time they randomly drop a comma into the middle of a phrase I'm just skimming.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quarex posted:

I think I found the answer to my question earlier about how far "slavish fan devotion for 1980s computer games" goes:

This actually looks amazing (I mean, insofar as what they want to do), but I am fairly certain that Rod Swigart's name does not carry as much weight as Brian Fargo's.

Well, I can say that a recommendation from Timothy Leary wasn't the first thing I'd have expected from a Kickstarter project. I don't see much else to be excited about, I've never heard of the original game, but that got my attention for 15 buck's worth.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I didn't see this mentioned, and a quick search turned up nothing, so here's The Hardest Platformer Ever

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What the gently caress is a gosu.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quarex posted:

As neat as it looks, I really doubt they'll reach $900,000.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Nekro people replied to my question:

darkForge posted:

We're going to do everything we can to get the game on steam. :) The beta may or may not be done through steam depending on if we can get access to it.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

I swear, Kickstarter is trying to bankrupt me. I loved loved loved the original Portal when I was a kid. It was a moody, lonely diamond-hard SF mystery novel wrapped in an interface that doled story out in non-linear chunks as you searched a proto-Net to find out What Went Wrong. More than Double Fine, more than Wasteland 2, this is the game revival I'd give my left eyeteeth and a kidney to see succeed and become an adventure game - desolate landscapes, decaying systems, actual hard SF. The idea of playing a game where you try to reconstruct the past by rescuing data from failing systems gives me an archivist stiffy.

The Venn diagram, though, of those who've played it and those who remember it is vanishingly small, and $900k is a steep-rear end hill to climb - probably too steep. Grrr.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

This looks interesting. I was thinking that they set their goal a bit too high, but their answer as to why they neek $900k is actually pretty reasonable.

quote:

$900k!? Are you guys nuts? Whaddya think ya are, Wasteland 2?

Hindsight is always 20/20 but we did a lot of thinking about this for a very long time, so please know that this wasn't a decision based on greed or madness.

We strongly believe there is (and always has been) a market for adventure games despite the industry mindset that adventure games are dead and buried. To us, this is not only an opportunity to reimagine a sci-fi classic but also show publishers what can be done with what they would consider a chickenfeed budget.

You see, the average non-AAA game's budget is around ten million dollars ($10,000,000). We can work with far less than this because our game is smaller in scope, has a limited number of interactive locations, fewer models, reusable assets incorporated into the gameplay, and doesn't require a massive marketing budget.

That said, by the time you factor in the various fees taken by Kickstarter (5%) and Amazon (3.2%), federal and state taxes (the big one), reward fulfillment (a tiny fraction), and other costs involved just with raising the funds, the usable amount remaining will be considerably less than what we've set as our goal.

The funds remaining must then cover the salaries of an entire team of developers for 18 months plus equipment, software, licenses, fees, utilities, voice actors, writers, and so on.

For those reasons and others, we set the bar comparatively high versus other Kickstarter projects. To set it any lower would have been a disservice to our supporters expecting a finished game that blows them away and a catastrophe for the dev team trying to make it.

I wouldn't have thought that an adventure game could cost $10-million, but I can appreciate that they set the bar at a point where they would get the minimum needed to make the game, instead of setting it lower, taking people's money and failing to follow through.

Game looks interesting as hell though, I really do hope they make it.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 1, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pitched in for Portal, but I don't think they're gonna hit it :smith:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Either a programming language, a card game or a Starcraft 2 player.

If it's supposed to be a designation for really hard platformers I've never heard of it before.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I shared this in the Kinetic Void thread, but thought you guys might like to see as well.

SA are the majority backers, followed up by Reddit.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I think its Korean and means "fast hands."

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

LumberingTroll posted:

I shared this in the Kinetic Void thread, but thought you guys might like to see as well.

SA are the majority backers, followed up by Reddit.

With a little more than twice as many people, SA has pledged more than triple the dollars vs :reddit:

:smugbert:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

full point posted:

I think its Korean and means "fast hands."

It literally means "high hand." Not literally, it means you're really good at something (Go, martial arts, StarCraft, whatever).

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

LSL Kickstarter posted:

Now, here's the big one: at the $650,000 level, we're doing something that will change the face of Larry forever (if only!): we're adding a new location, new puzzles, and a new girl with her own storyline! Is this the infamous female character that Al was forced to cut from the original 1987 version of Leisure Suit Larry 1? Or am I just making that up entirely to add a sense of mystery? Your guess is as good as mine!

The LSL kickstarter has 24 hours left and is only 56k away from a brand new area + girl for the remake. Come on SA, throw $15 at it. It's only 15 bucks and who knows, it might turn out pretty awesome.

LSL Kickstarter

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadley Puffin posted:

re: Portal, a Kickstarter project by Rob Swigart

I swear, Kickstarter is trying to bankrupt me. I loved loved loved the original Portal when I was a kid. It was a moody, lonely diamond-hard SF mystery novel wrapped in an interface that doled story out in non-linear chunks as you searched a proto-Net to find out What Went Wrong. More than Double Fine, more than Wasteland 2, this is the game revival I'd give my left eyeteeth and a kidney to see succeed and become an adventure game - desolate landscapes, decaying systems, actual hard SF. The idea of playing a game where you try to reconstruct the past by rescuing data from failing systems gives me an archivist stiffy.

The Venn diagram, though, of those who've played it and those who remember it is vanishingly small, and $900k is a steep-rear end hill to climb - probably too steep. Grrr.

One of you guys should put together a new thread for it. I'd post in it to help keep it visible for a few days. It's nicher than most things I've seen, and will definitely be overlooked in this thread alone. I checked it out and thought it looked pretty cool.

I found a super short youtube review of the game. There's also a free e-book novelization of the game written a few years later by the guy.
I'm definitely mildly interested. I wish I knew more about the guy or the game. It seems like the kickstarter would play as something similar to the Journeyman Project; would that be accurate?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

RPS finally covered Nekro. The game is so right up their alley that their vow against inadvertently funding any KS seemed a bit ridiculous here.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/01/keeping-that-dungeon-warm-nekro-is-a-go-go/

RPS was pretty clear, far more than anyone else, that they're happy to cover games they like. They simply weren't going to post about a kickstarter just because someone asked them to.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Kaboobi posted:

Pitched in for Portal, but I don't think they're gonna hit it :smith:

Same here. Seeing that high a goal was such a disappointment.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Looks like RPS is crediting this forum with uncovering the Mythic scam. Good work, goons! :toot:

edit: whoops, the RPS link actually goes to the Banner Saga thread.

seorin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seorin posted:

Looks like RPS is crediting this thread with uncovering the Mythic scam. Good work, goons! :toot:

I feel so accomplished!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

octoroon posted:

I feel so accomplished!

Yes! Something I helped with wound up on RPS. What a masterful day this is!

Big ups to octoroon, Der Shovel, and everyone who helped. All I did was take a couple screenshots, others did all the heavy lifting. Teamwork!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I didn't really think it will get that far, I was just trying to make a point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
There's also a BBC News article! Although they partly credit Reddit. :smith: