Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That mission is pretty annoying. Even on a New Game + it's still rather tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

TurnipFritter posted:

But Odin's design owns? :confused:

This is awesome.

This not so much:

Nahxela posted:

rip cool demon designs.

Is it a Toga Party or Viking Day? To hell with it, I always look good in a sheet with horns.

The purple Odin is the first I saw in Persona or SMT.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Technique posted:

Oh thank god. I'll probably be able to beat it when i try again tomorrow, then.

Just FYI, if you can, leave at least one of the smaller Mizars alive at the end of the battle for a little something.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pureauthor posted:

Just FYI, if you can, leave at least one of the smaller Mizars alive at the end of the battle for a little something.

Okay so that WAS different on my second run, I didn't imagine it. Cool. If you can't be arsed/don't know what he means: If there are tiny-Mizars alive at the end they leap off the building to try and escape/multiply... then the Dragon Stream head lands on them, smashing 'em into goo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If it helps, my strategy for Mizar involved having a Taown to Devil Flash (and it had Multi Strike) in one party and a Kishin + Python in another. The Python I had had ridiculous Magic, Holy Dance, Drain and something else, maybe Recarm. Evil Flow (wave?) is ridiculous

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Okay so that WAS different on my second run, I didn't imagine it. Cool. If you can't be arsed/don't know what he means: If there are tiny-Mizars alive at the end they leap off the building to try and escape/multiply... then the Dragon Stream head lands on them, smashing 'em into goo.
Going to keep this in mind for my next playthrough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nahxela posted:

Free Battles give you the option of retreating whenever you want (from the system menu), so you can go in, kill what you can manage and retreat when you've had your fill. That way, you can gain levels/experience until you're satisfied.

rip cool demon designs.

At least they had the decency to redesign Loki for Devil Survivor 1 and maintained that redesign for the next batch of games, like Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2.

I like how the redesigns for the Norse Gods are all Dragon Ball Z guys

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
Persona 2 Innocent Sin is fantastic. As a fan of dungeon crawlers I prefer this to P3P. The difficulty is a little lacking but the story and setting more than make up for it. I just got through a cave when mecha-nazis raided the city :wtc:

Is Eternal Punishment a fitting sequel?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

A guy on the Atlus forums is doing piano covers of various music from the series. It's pretty cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierce posted:

Persona 2 Innocent Sin is fantastic. As a fan of dungeon crawlers I prefer this to P3P. The difficulty is a little lacking but the story and setting more than make up for it. I just got through a cave when mecha-nazis raided the city :wtc:

Yes. The two go hand-in-hand wonderfully. A lot of people seem to prefer EP over IS even, though I am not one of them. I think it's mostly because Eternal Punishment is the only P2 game we had in English for the longest time, where as I started with IS once the translation patch came out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah EP is a better game (from a gameplay perspective) but some of the changes made their way into the PSP re-release of IS. They are really one game that was split into two parts and are one story with different characters. The way they integrate the two is really cool and you should definitely play both. The contact system in EP is streamlined somewhat and there is more of an insensitive to play the extra stuff.

Personally I like EP a bit more since the older characters are a breath of fresh air in a genre where the median age is 16 and 25 is reserved for old grizzled mentor types. All three of the new EP characters are cool in their own way and overall everyone is interesting although Maya is turned into a silent protagonist which is straight up a bad decision... IS's story is a lot weirder and heavily occult based whereas the villains for EP are more standard NWO types. Of course what ties the two games together is where EP really shines so I'm super stoked to play it again.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 3, 2012

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I'll keep my excitement then!

I really want a .gif of the painter in the Velvet Room. Time to study.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Amppelix posted:

The Kalevala.

We need more obscure mythologies in these games, hanging out with Odin and Nyarlathothep is badass and all, but there's just so much awesome poo poo out there that we're missing out on without even being aware it exists it feels criminal.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Welp, i somehow managed to beat Mizar, although Jungo was the only survivor, and had to take down the last set of tentacles alone. Thanks, Jungo. Thungo. :unsmith:

e: Guess it's time for Team Yamato to roll out. Was a tough choice, though. First time i've had a real problem choosing an alignment in SMT.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 4, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pierce posted:

Eternal Punishment is about cool people doing cool things.
(Two. Weeks.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TurnipFritter posted:

Eternal Punishment is about cool people doing cool things.
(Two. Weeks.)

Is this one as grindy and boring as IS was?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Alteisen posted:

IS had some problems with loadtimes, so i guess i can get "boring", but "grindy"? I cruised through the entire game with only the Personas you got from the story, and levelling up was usually not too big a deal, either.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
i'm actually going through EP right now, I have to wonder how people who played it before realizing there was a whole other game before it thought about it. The early story kinda doesn't make any sense without that knowledge.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Cityinthesea posted:

i'm actually going through EP right now, I have to wonder how people who played it before realizing there was a whole other game before it thought about it. The early story kinda doesn't make any sense without that knowledge.

Very few RPGs made much sense back then, and even many modern ones.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

I think it's safe to say that based on your tastes that EP is not the game for you. :)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cityinthesea posted:

Considering that it was predated by games like Xenogears and Chrono Cross, Eternal Punishment was probably seen as downright rational and straightforward at the time of release.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I agree with some goon who posted about it a while back that the ideal way to play those games would probably be to start with Eternal Punishment, play up to Mt. Iwato, then pick up and play all the way through Innocent Sin, then go back to finish EP. Provided you were motivated to play through both as one epic enterprise without taking a huge break that caused you to lose the thread or w/e.

A 70 hour JRPG is a hell of a vignette in the middle of your 70 hour JRPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. Without the first game, EP's opening/early game comes across as more of a mystery story than it otherwise does. It's certainly a bit weird but not inexplicable or unplayable.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Without the first game, EP's opening/early game comes across as more of a mystery story than it otherwise does. It's certainly a bit weird but not inexplicable or unplayable.

It does get a little confusing because they namedrop Katsuya Suou, Tatsuya Suou, Tatsuya Sudou, and Tatsuzou Sudou like in the first hour or so, and that's just a whole mess in English.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I still argue that you lose more from not being able to pick up on the IS parallels from the beginning of EP than you gain from the mystery. The worst part in going IS-EP is the massive loss of plot momentum you get from having to start over with a new team. That and the dungeon reuse really kills playing them back to back. If you take a break it feels a bit fresher and a lot less grindy. The Mt. Iwato recap is in there for a reason!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cityinthesea posted:

Well considering it spoils the ending of IS on the first goddamn page of the manual of the original English release of EP (NO I AM NOT BITTER WHY DO YOU ASK?) I don't think it's that big of a deal. Yeah you have no idea what's going on but it's more an issue of not knowing the characters than not knowing the events.

I still need to try and drink what I know of EP outta my head before trying the portable IS re-release.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ryoshi posted:

Well considering it spoils the ending of IS on the first goddamn page of the manual of the original English release of EP

Since we didn't get IS back then wasn't it a good call of their part to do this?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So the P5 fan-soundtrack person even uploaded a frickin' PV.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

You now what's a really simultaneously horrible and awesome idea? Watching a documentary about a serial killer while you're playing through a second playthrough of Persona 4. It makes the tone of the events in late July change completely. Because OF COURSE, I ended up watching that documentary right before the late July/early August dungeon opened up. Mitsuo's Void Quest.

It's doubly as worse on a second playthrough because (SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR THE GOOD ENDING) you're interacting with two different kinds of killers: both Mitsuo AND Adachi, who are each horrifying in their own way. Interacting with Adachi has been super horrifying on this playthrough, because he's managing to suppress his real self enough to live a normal life and good enough at acting to manipulate people without them knowing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Catalina posted:

You now what's a really simultaneously horrible and awesome idea? Watching a documentary about a serial killer while you're playing through a second playthrough of Persona 4. It makes the tone of the events in late July change completely. Because OF COURSE, I ended up watching that documentary right before the late July/early August dungeon opened up. Mitsuo's Void Quest.

It's doubly as worse on a second playthrough because (SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR THE GOOD ENDING) you're interacting with two different kinds of killers: both Mitsuo AND Adachi, who are each horrifying in their own way. Interacting with Adachi has been super horrifying on this playthrough, because he's managing to suppress his real self enough to live a normal life and good enough at acting to manipulate people without them knowing.

It's even worse because he was not that good, so at times, you get those nasty little slip up that someone on their second playthrough will immediatly catch on and it reminds you that yeah, he is a sociopath, and yeah, he was eating alongside you and Nanako.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In Devil Survivor 2, is a character's in-battle speed affected by the demons on their team, or is it based solely on the character's own speed stat?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's the demons. Everyone has a default move of 4 and only racial skills on demons change that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Actually, when I said speed, I was referring to how soon a character gets their next turn again after having moved/attacked/etc.

Because I took Hinako into a free battle to try her and Keita out and was incredulous at how slow she was.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Benetnasch. Why. Why would this be... how. Why? :sigh:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Technique posted:

If this is just a reaction to the first fight, then ignore the rest of this.

Yeah at first he seems like the most dickish boss Atlus could throw at you, however the thing is from what I can tell he never summons more minions after the first wave so once you kill the 6 mini-Dubhes, you're free to patch up and take your time. If you really want, get a Vile and Dragon together - Chaos Breath and Evil Flow stack, granting you 8 range to his 7.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Technique posted:

If you haven't started abusing Dragons yet you deserve your fate.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

If this is just a reaction to the first fight, then ignore the rest of this.

Yeah at first he seems like the most dickish boss Atlus could throw at you, however the thing is from what I can tell he never summons more minions after the first wave so once you kill the 6 mini-Dubhes, you're free to patch up and take your time. If you really want, get a Vile and Dragon together - Chaos Breath and Evil Flow stack, granting you 8 range to his 7.

That right there is a helluva tip, and you probably just saved my sanity.

e: Well, that was one push-over boss with that strategy. Thanks, dude.
e2: Googly-eyed dragon is still the cutest dragon. :3:

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 6, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, when I said speed, I was referring to how soon a character gets their next turn again after having moved/attacked/etc.

Because I took Hinako into a free battle to try her and Keita out and was incredulous at how slow she was.

All playable characters have the same base speed except for the Anguished One, who's significantly faster. Apart from that, if one character is getting fewer turns than others there are a few possible reasons:

* They're taking more actions. Moving and attacking push back your next turn significantly, and spells or demon abilities push it back slightly.
* They're getting attacked more. Every time an enemy attacks you, your next turn is pushed back a little.
* Somebody has a demon that modifies the turn cost of some actions. Dragons and Viles increase the cost of attacking, while a Genma decreases the cost of moving.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Persona 3 venting follows:

Ok, what the gently caress is with these goddamn arcane turrets and their million HP and dealing more damage than any of my characters have HP? And then they're paired up with these gear assholes who already killed me once with their all-fear. And then an errant crit makes MC fall down so I can't even change other member's tactics and of course they gently caress everything up and I'm dead. That wasn't my fault! I couldn't have done anything! Rrrrrrgh.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Amppelix posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is with these goddamn arcane turrets and their million HP and dealing more damage than any of my characters have HP? And then they're paired up with these gear assholes who already killed me once with their all-fear. And then an errant crit makes MC fall down so I can't even change other member's tactics and of course they gently caress everything up and I'm dead. That wasn't my fault! I couldn't have done anything! Rrrrrrgh.

Welcome to Atluses idea of a challenge. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Amppelix posted:

Just level up a lot. It's pretty much the solution to everything (so far, am in December I think)