Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
22. Geoduck ceviche :psyduck:

65. Beaver flapper Chicharron :canada:

94. Crunchy maple syrup discs with pancake sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
What the gently caress is a "Virtual Chocolate Cake?" Is this some WIlly Wonka Mike Teevee poo poo or something?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

What the gently caress is a "Virtual Chocolate Cake?" Is this some WIlly Wonka Mike Teevee poo poo or something?

You smoke it.

From a pipe.

(I have cooked in this guy's kitchen, and am being serious)

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

therattle posted:

Do you have a stove/cooker? There's still a huge amount you can do. I would suggest checking out the excellent "Help! I am poor but want to eat well" thread as it has a ton of advice for anyone who wants to learn how to make basic, nutritious food, even if saving money isn't the primary goal (you can have it as an additional benefit). The vegan thread has tons of good, reasonably-achievable recipes too, and vegan food is often pretty reasonably-priced to make too.

Yeah, the stovetops all work but my oven is insane and will burn a frozen pizza in ten minutes. I've tried cleaning it a few times but it's still crazy as hell.

I'll check out the thread you suggested, I've been looking for a way to cut down on the number of dishes I'm washing by preparing as many meals as I can at a time, but almost every recipe I've been interested in starts with "preheat oven to 400 degrees" :smith:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not sure I'm happy or sad that we missed out on the "beaver flapper" snipe.

I know I'm mostly a mere lurker in here, but Phummus, I hope it all turns out well. I've been fighting that fight with my mom for the past year. Stay strong.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trap Star posted:

Yeah, the stovetops all work but my oven is insane and will burn a frozen pizza in ten minutes. I've tried cleaning it a few times but it's still crazy as hell.

I'll check out the thread you suggested, I've been looking for a way to cut down on the number of dishes I'm washing by preparing as many meals as I can at a time, but almost every recipe I've been interested in starts with "preheat oven to 400 degrees" :smith:
Put a thermometer in your oven instead of relying on the dial.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Put a thermometer in your oven instead of relying on the dial.

I'll try baking something maybe tomorrow or so, but there's definitely an issue with my oven. I'm guessing it's heating up a lot more than the dial indicates.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Halalelujah posted:

I've posted this a million times probably, but reminds me of this : http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01262007

:) oh achewood <3

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

I've posted this a million times probably, but reminds me of this : http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01262007

:) oh achewood <3
I have looked to this for inspiration more than once.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trap Star posted:

I'll try baking something maybe tomorrow or so, but there's definitely an issue with my oven. I'm guessing it's heating up a lot more than the dial indicates.

Right. So get one of those thermometers that you put in it and leave in there so you can see what temperature it heats to.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Right. So get one of those thermometers that you put in it and leave in there so you can see what temperature it heats to.

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-High-Heat-Oven-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335995078&sr=8-1

Like that one? I'll order it pretty much asap

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, exactly like that. Try it in a few different spots too, some ovens are really bad for hot/cold spots.

Edit: you can probably find one that will serve just fine for like $2-3 if you try, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Also, if you're burning frozen pizza, you aren't checking on it often enough. Ion the rare occasion I get a frozen pizza, I just turn the oven to max.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

You know, just, uh. Never mind.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Also, if you're burning frozen pizza, you aren't checking on it often enough. Ion the rare occasion I get a frozen pizza, I just turn the oven to max.

This isn't the issue though, if a frozen pizza says 25 mins on the box for a crispy crust, I can check the pizza in 15 minutes and it will be a black charred circle. It's very likely overheating

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Trap Star posted:

This isn't the issue though, if a frozen pizza says 25 mins on the box for a crispy crust, I can check the pizza in 15 minutes and it will be a black charred circle. It's very likely overheating

I'm not saying your oven isn't overheating, I'm saying you aren't checking on it often enough. Just turn it all the way up and cook your pizza in like 7 minutes. They come out great.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'd highly recommend this thermometer over the bimetal spring you listed.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-05921N-Oven-Guide-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSCA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's significantly more accurate, even if it slides back and forth in it's guides. Do try to clean it every third time you use your oven, or so, and pay attention to where it ends up when you set your oven to a certain temp so that you can adjust in your head, rather than relying on the therm every time.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus, I am completely ignoring you and your son in the sincere hope that my cursed luck stays the gently caress away from your family.

(for those of us just joining us, I am flypaper for disaster.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

scuz posted:

I have looked to this for inspiration more than once.

lolled irl

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Thanks for ignoring, Wrought!

No big updates. Surgery is scheduled for 7:45 tomorrow morning.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^^ Aw man. Even more best wishes your way.

I like turtles posted:

Welp.

:suicide:

We need :downs:+:chef:
Yeah, a new Italian place opened up near me. I went there on opening day and ordered linguine with pesto and a side salad. Side salad was as you described, with some kind of hideous non-dressing made of grated hardboiled eggs, Kraft parmesan, and black pepper. Pesto was clearly from a dry mix that had never seen fresh basil. Of course this restaurant is now constantly full. But I'm okay because across the street is a place run by a guy Actually From Italy who makes loving awesome pizza and always has soccer on the TV.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

Hope it all goes well, Phummus and Phummus Jr.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Charmmi posted:

22. Geoduck ceviche :psyduck:
Every time I see geoduck I read it as geodude and wonder how and why people are cooking with pokemon. :wooper:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Phummus posted:

I'm hoping for the very best for your child. At the very least, know that a whole lot of people have your family in their thoughts. Good luck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's so weird about geoduck ceviche? That sounds like the most normal thing on there.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
e: im dumb

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's so weird about geoduck ceviche? That sounds like the most normal thing on there.

if you don't know what it is it kind of sounds like a duck that lives in a burrow or something

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pile of brown posted:

if you don't know what it is it kind of sounds like a duck that lives in a burrow or something

To be fair, "sea dong cooked in acid" could turn some people off if you explain to them what it is. Or at least how I'd explain it to them anyways.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wusses maybe. I've had geoduck ceviche before, it's p great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mediaphage is on acid again

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482669

have a good trip mediaphage!! :) look at the stars or listen to some philip glass or pet a cat or something!! :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gooeydook is pretty tasty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

mediaphage is on acid again

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482669

have a good trip mediaphage!! :) look at the stars or listen to some philip glass or pet a cat or something!! :)
Yes, it appears that he was "sick". Real "sick".

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
proclick mah mashup z0ne ---->>> http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FNMNqH.gif&sound=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfZtb8rgYvVU&start=10

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Phummus posted:

Every finger crossed for you guys.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hey I learned that nuts are thickeners today while making peanut butter ice cream. Cool. gently caress.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Thoughts out to you Phummus and your family. Have strength.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.

Trap Star posted:

The thermostat is malfunctioning, it is wide open all of the time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I WANT THESE KNIVES!
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12072001

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Going off a W&W suggestion, I just made cauliflower soup using nothing but chicken stock, half a head of cauliflower, a little milk and some nutmeg. Steam the cauliflower in stock until soft, blend, add milk, season, and it's done. Really creamy and delicious, few calories. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Serendipitaet posted:

Going off a W&W suggestion, I just made cauliflower soup using nothing but chicken stock, half a head of cauliflower, a little milk and some nutmeg. Steam the cauliflower in stock until soft, blend, add milk, season, and it's done. Really creamy and delicious, few calories. :)

Add some roasted red peppers to this. :) It's the most delicious thing ever.