Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

How are you going to get home from a planet if you just unhooked its DHD?

Earth has a bunch of ships now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rhyno posted:

Earth has a bunch of ships now.

By the point where they got those ships they didn't really need to, or how do we know they didn't? Gate bridge had to work somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

By the point where they got those ships they didn't really need to, or how do we know they didn't? Gate bridge had to work somehow.

Rodney explained how it worked, they didn't even need a DHD since the Puddle Jumpers have them.

Which is another point, they could just pull one out of a puddle jumper!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh yeah they did didn't they? I haven't seen Atlantis in a while and forgot the explanation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh yeah they did didn't they? I haven't seen Atlantis in a while and forgot the explanation.

Even Wraith Darts have DHDs!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

bango skank posted:

One thing that bothered me about the iris on the stargate at SGC was why wasn't it destroyed whenever the gate did it's "flushing" thing while the iris was closed? There was a few times in the series when things were obliterated by the flushing, but there were also a few times when the gate activated with the iris closed, was it ever explained?

What always amused me about the flushing destroying everything it touches (including carving out a massive hole that time where the gate was in a tiny cavern) is the amount of people they have probably inadvertantly vaporised by dialling into random addresses.
They have no way of knowing if anyone is standing near the gate when they dial, and most places don't realise what the gae is until the stargate team come out of it like gods :)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Luigi Thirty posted:

How are you going to get home from a planet if you just unhooked its DHD? They didn't get their own hyperdrive ships until close to the end of the series and by that point it didn't really matter.

Naquada generator and manual dial, they start doing that around season 3.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mr Beens posted:

What always amused me about the flushing destroying everything it touches (including carving out a massive hole that time where the gate was in a tiny cavern) is the amount of people they have probably inadvertantly vaporised by dialling into random addresses.
They have no way of knowing if anyone is standing near the gate when they dial, and most places don't realise what the gae is until the stargate team come out of it like gods :)

I just mentioned this--they would have found disembodied bits of feet. They didn't ever find that, though, because... convenience. Just like no one tried desperately trying to come through with the iris closed except for people from the evil planet.

The other thing about the DHD is that Rodney on his first appearance mentions that the dialing computer bypasses all sorts of really important safety features in the gate/DHD and they're lucky not to have blown themselves up yet (and that they were basically still at risk). So you'd think a DHD of some sort would probably be useful, even if the dialing computer had advantages.

But then again, it's... Stargate. This ain't hard sci fi.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Rhyno posted:

By that logic the cover stones wouldn't work.

But seriously, they found the DHD in Antarctica and it's way faster than the dialing computer, why the hell don't they use it?

Cover stones and irises serve two different purposes. Irises let a wormhole connect but stop anything from getting through. Cover stones sit in the event horizon formation place and stop the worm hole from ever being established in the first place.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drizzt01 posted:

Cover stones and irises serve two different purposes. Irises let a wormhole connect but stop anything from getting through. Cover stones sit in the event horizon formation place and stop the worm hole from ever being established in the first place.

Which is kind of weird considering the episode where I seem to remember the gate on some planet being covered by lava, but later dialing the gate just clears out a hollow space in the freshly cooled stone instead of not connecting at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bango skank posted:

Which is kind of weird considering the episode where I seem to remember the gate on some planet being covered by lava, but later dialing the gate just clears out a hollow space in the freshly cooled stone instead of not connecting at all.

Lack of continuity? In MY Stargate?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, thanks to this thread I'm re-watching Atlantis.

Still maintaining that Zalenka is the best character on the show that isnt McKay or Shepperd.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
My internal reasoning for how they built the Iris is it was reverse engineered from those Jaffa helmets that fold up into nothing.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

bango skank posted:

Maybe by virtue of contrivance, either the gate wasn't obstructed in a way that prevented the formation of a wormhole, or it covered just enough to prevent the formation of the unstable vortex--err, "kawoosh", that they used a particle accelerator or something to clear out enough space for Teal'c to get through. I actually don't remember the given explanation in the episode.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Dyatlov Bass posted:

Maybe by virtue of contrivance, either the gate wasn't obstructed in a way that prevented the formation of a wormhole, or it covered just enough to prevent the formation of the unstable vortex--err, "kawoosh", that they used a particle accelerator or something to clear out enough space for Teal'c to get through. I actually don't remember the given explanation in the episode.

I believe the gate was active while it was being covered in lava, so that prevented the lava from covering the event horizon. Then they used a particle accelerator to hollow out enough space that the kawoosh could form and clear out more space, then they sent Teal'c through to chisel out the rest of the space, which seems kind of stupidly dangerous. They probably could have just tossed some TNT through.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

The other thing about the DHD is that Rodney on his first appearance mentions that the dialing computer bypasses all sorts of really important safety features in the gate/DHD and they're lucky not to have blown themselves up yet (and that they were basically still at risk). So you'd think a DHD of some sort would probably be useful, even if the dialing computer had advantages.

It's got really useful advantages, though. All that information the gate sends out isn't something a DHD can display.

This is all based on circumstantial stuff from the shows, but the way I saw it, the Ancients built the DHD for use on other planets, but built the gates to explicitly allow for a dialing computer-like setup as a more advanced means of control. We know the gates send out a lot of information that you need some sort of more advanced interface to read. That's where the SGC dialing computer gets that information on travel time through the gate, details on energy output, matter stream status, all that kind of stuff. So there has to be some reason why the gate outputs that information when a DHD doesn't have any actual way of displaying it. That's also why I figure Atlantis seems to have an actual dialing computer of some sort instead of just a basic DHD setup.

Given how often we've seen McKay do it, it could even be that DHDs were actually made with the capability for diagnostic computers to hook into them for more detailed troubleshooting when necessary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Idran posted:

It's got really useful advantages, though. All that information the gate sends out isn't something a DHD can display.

This is all based on circumstantial stuff from the shows, but the way I saw it, the Ancients built the DHD for use on other planets, but built the gates to explicitly allow for a dialing computer-like setup as a more advanced means of control. We know the gates send out a lot of information that you need some sort of more advanced interface to read. That's where the SGC dialing computer gets that information on travel time through the gate, details on energy output, matter stream status, all that kind of stuff. So there has to be some reason why the gate outputs that information when a DHD doesn't have any actual way of displaying it. That's also why I figure Atlantis seems to have an actual dialing computer of some sort instead of just a basic DHD setup.

Given how often we've seen McKay do it, it could even be that DHDs were actually made with the capability for diagnostic computers to hook into them for more detailed troubleshooting when necessary.

The Alterans probably had wireless units that could pull up all that data if they needed to, SG personal have to manually jack in because they aren't up to the same level of technology.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The Alterans probably had wireless units that could pull up all that data if they needed to, SG personal have to manually jack in because they aren't up to the same level of technology.

Oh, that makes sense. Didn't even think about wireless stuff for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Idran posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Didn't even think about wireless stuff for that.

I doubt they needed to very often, the gates were built to last and they transmit data along the gate network and we've seen that there's an accessable connection to that network like when the time dilation device connected a dozen gates or so. We can easily assume that the Ancients were able to monitor all the gates in the network from Atlantis (when it was on Earth) and they probably only had to physically inspect a Gate infrequently.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The gates were built to last, but the DHD's sure weren't. Surprised that more of them on random planets aren't busted given how easy they are to open and pull apart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

The gates were built to last, but the DHD's sure weren't. Surprised that more of them on random planets aren't busted given how easy they are to open and pull apart.

Gates probably cost a ton to build, like an expensive sports car or a house. Replacing/rebuilding the DHD is akin to doing a brake job or putting new shingles on a roof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Started re watching Atlantis the other day and one thing continues to amuse me, the frequency in which Wraith actors contacts were crooked. I saw it once and now it's like a beacon.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

Well, thanks to this thread I'm re-watching Atlantis.

Still maintaining that Zalenka is the best character on the show that isnt McKay or Shepperd.

I always liked Major Lorne but he was criminally underused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Palleon posted:

I always liked Major Lorne but he was criminally underused.

I was pretty thrilled to see him on Eureka.

I'm up to the introduction of the Pegasus Replicators and I really think their version of Atlantis is pretty loving awesome, way more impressive than the Ancient version.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Rhyno posted:

Started re watching Atlantis the other day and one thing continues to amuse me, the frequency in which Wraith actors contacts were crooked. I saw it once and now it's like a beacon.

Keep an eye out for the German soldier who sometimes wears his flag patch upside down.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
hahahaha Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye just showed up and completely busted Mckay's chops and hit on his lady...

This almost makes up for Teyla.

Almost.

EDIT: ahaha Mckay called him science guy :D

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 7, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

eviljimmy posted:

hahahaha Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye just showed up and completely busted Mckay's chops and hit on his lady...

Almost.

Also fat drunk Dave Foley.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

eviljimmy posted:

Almost.

:mad: At least I didn't make Pluto not a planet! WAY TO MAKE THE LITTLE KIDS CRY! :mad:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gotta love how McKay wants to name every ship Enterprise.

It must have been so much fun for David Hewlett to play McKay, just going around every scene being the smuggest guy ever and then panic like a frightened child when things inevitably goes wrong.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

Gotta love how McKay wants to name every ship Enterprise.

I don't remember McKay doing that, wasn't it Jacks thing?

edit: it is amusing how after a decade of the Stargate program being active Earth is flying starships that in many ways would put those from Star Trek to shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

edit: it is amusing how after a decade of the Stargate program being active Earth is flying starships that in many ways would put those from Star Trek to shame.

Every time McKay is about to suggest a ship name Sheppard cuts him off and says "We're not naming it the Enterprise." It's s shame Rodney didn't get to name anything, he was correct in calling the small ships "Gate Ships" but Sheppard overruled him on that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just made it to season 3 in the rewatch.

Woolsey! :toot:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Every time McKay is about to suggest a ship name Sheppard cuts him off and says "We're not naming it the Enterprise." It's s shame Rodney didn't get to name anything, he was correct in calling the small ships "Gate Ships" but Sheppard overruled him on that.

Not in the parallel universe created at the end of Season 8 of SG-1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Palleon posted:

Not in the parallel universe created at the end of Season 8 of SG-1.

The Asurans called them Gate Ships when they took over Atlantis so nyah nyah nyah.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Senor Tron posted:

I think he wanted to name them after Simpsons characters.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Senor Tron posted:

yeah, their shields seem to be able to take a few hits before a console explodes into sparks and the hyper drive does in a week what would take Voyager 75 years or something.

but then to be fair a lot of that did come from the Asguard

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

The Dark One posted:

I think he wanted to name them after Simpsons characters.

No, Jack was bummed that he couldn't name the Prometheus "Enterprise."

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wheeze posted:

I believe the gate was active while it was being covered in lava, so that prevented the lava from covering the event horizon. Then they used a particle accelerator to hollow out enough space that the kawoosh could form and clear out more space, then they sent Teal'c through to chisel out the rest of the space, which seems kind of stupidly dangerous. They probably could have just tossed some TNT through.
There was a fine layer of rock *just* above the gate horizon that essentially resulted in the rock acting like an iris (because the gate was essentially knocked over when active, melted rock that would have fallen in or such likely was prevented from doing so due to the active wormhole).

The particle accelerator (from what I recall) was used to weaken the material acting as an iris. This then allowed a connection to be made where the wormhole "kawoosh" expanded, destroyed the "iris", and then created a volume of space above the gate.

Of course, as you said, sending Teal'c through was ridiculous, since at that point they could have just launched low-explosive yield missiles or something through the gate that would have slowly eliminated further and further material. Granted then you'd have risks of soil collapse back toward the gate, but aw hell, this is tv!

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Holy poo poo! Harmony just showed up as a young Adria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I actually liked Adria as a character v:shobon:v