Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Nacho Man and Huckster, maybe. And didn't he do that whole Lakers/Nuggets uniform thing cuz of an arena issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

The Nacho Man and Huckster, maybe. And didn't he do that whole Lakers/Nuggets uniform thing cuz of an arena issue?

The Nuggets thing is one of the most petty and stupid Vince tantrums. He cost himself hundreds of thousands of dollars because he wasn't willing to tape Raw and instead moved Raw and Smackdown to LA and had to paper the building. The whole time he's saying how unprofessional this is and how dare they take the building from him and how this isn't in the contract, but in the end he doesn't sue because there's no way that clause wasn't in the contract.

All of this coming from a man who cancels shows all the time.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Watching another episode and I had no idea Vince actually went on TV to explain the switch to "sports entertainment". Pretty :psyduck:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The "Life Sucks, and then you Die" promo was a really odd one, because Vince just rants on and on about how the audience is poor and has nothing to live for.

Like I understand wanting to get heel heat, but this went on for what felt like 20 minutes and didn't build to anything, and he got no comeuppance out of it.

VVV Was that promo before or after they actually showed the redneck hillbilly families that won his contest

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 8, 2012

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

triplexpac posted:

What are some examples of Vince using the WWE to air his personal grievances/opinions?

The RTC was obviously him hating the PTC. I also seem to remember him cutting a promo on the US Government once

In the middle of his Million-Dollar Giveaway thing, he had this long, odd rant about how he hated that the public looked down on his fans and that everyone in the WWE universe was part of a "very special club."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The Kiss My rear end Club?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
No he just went on and on about how the rest of the world looked down on WWE fans, so they belonged to a special club where they could be entertained every week or something.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

What are some examples of Vince using the WWE to air his personal grievances/opinions?

The RTC was obviously him hating the PTC. I also seem to remember him cutting a promo on the US Government once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjRxl3bL9Q

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

That's true what she said.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

That's true what she said.

The government is no better than Al Qaeda - Strenuous Manflurry, Catgirl lover.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Has there ever actually been one guy cutting a 20 minute promo, not like two guys going back and forth but just one guy? Closest I can think of is like when Rock came back.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Hirams Bitch posted:

Has there ever actually been one guy cutting a 20 minute promo, not like two guys going back and forth but just one guy? Closest I can think of is like when Rock came back.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It looks like HHH is singing an opera.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

oldpainless posted:

If only his promos could be ended by Vickie Guerrero singing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oldpainless posted:

Kill the undercard kill the undercard

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Brutus the Barber of Seville

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

nasboat posted:

No but like for real, not just hyperbole. Unless you can actually point to an episode?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

No but like for real, not just hyperbole. Unless you can actually point to an episode?

There was one he gave in 2005 where he buried Batista for a solid 20 minutes and everyone thought Batista was going to come out and murder him but it just faded to black.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Captain Magic posted:

In the middle of his Million-Dollar Giveaway thing, he had this long, odd rant about how he hated that the public looked down on his fans and that everyone in the WWE universe was part of a "very special club."
He has this complex that no one in the mainstream entertainment industry takes him seriously because he is in the pro wrestling business; hence why he tries seperating away from wrestling with "sports entertainment" and the countless failed ventures like the XFL and that body building thing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hirams Bitch posted:

It's technically not just one guy, but in 2000 HHH + Vince would cut 20 minute promos as the McMahon-Helmsley Regime pretty regularly. I know, because I'm watching these old episodes and their promos are sooo long.

Most of them involve HHH, Vince, Shane & Stephanie talking about how great they are for 5 or so minutes. Then each of them runs down whatever feud they happen to be in, mocking their opponent, finally booking them in a match. Then they brag a bit more, then they leave.

Sometimes Rock would come out to interrupt, but usually this segment has gone on so long already that if Rock were to do that it would last 45 minutes.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

It's technically not just one guy, but in 2000 HHH + Vince would cut 20 minute promos as the McMahon-Helmsley Regime pretty regularly. I know, because I'm watching these old episodes and their promos are sooo long.

Most of them involve HHH, Vince, Shane & Stephanie talking about how great they are for 5 or so minutes. Then each of them runs down whatever feud they happen to be in, mocking their opponent, finally booking them in a match. Then they brag a bit more, then they leave.

Sometimes Rock would come out to interrupt, but usually this segment has gone on so long already that if Rock were to do that it would last 45 minutes.

He isn't talking about that style of promo. He means one guy in the ring for 20 minutes, no interruptions. HHH is the only one I can think of they let do that and the only one I recall off the top of my head was during the Batista feud where he buried JBL or whomever was champ on SmackDown just cause he could.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Stopwatch it please.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

achillesforever6 posted:

He has this complex that no one in the mainstream entertainment industry takes him seriously because he is in the pro wrestling business; hence why he tries seperating away from wrestling with "sports entertainment" and the countless failed ventures like the XFL and that body building thing.

Vince had this one meltdown on a sports program on TV once when the XFL was completely tanking and becoming the butt of a million late night jokes. Basically, he reasoned that the only reason the XFL was failing was because the sports world wasn't giving it the time of day because "lol pro wrestling". Not because the football was atrocious because it was made up of players the NFL, CFL and AFL did not want nor that North American football is so loving competitive there is no reason to challenge the NFL unless you want to fail.

What I'm getting at is that Vince is a gigantic child with some severe control and abandonment issues and likes to staff himself with yes men because they "support" him. It's kind of sad, actually :(

triplexpac posted:

We should queue up some 2000 RAWs on the Synchtube channel once and time it to see if this is the case (though we should make sure everyone is cool with it). What you said sounds about right from what I remember. The 20 minute HHH promos from 2000 were usually part of a bigger storyline involving the McMahon-Helmsley Regime and whoever they were all feuding with at that moment. Triple H did most of the talking but everyone got a shot at the mic and usually Rock's music would hit and he'd get a turn.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Vince had this one meltdown on a sports program on TV once when the XFL was completely tanking and becoming the butt of a million late night jokes. Basically, he reasoned that the only reason the XFL was failing was because the sports world wasn't giving it the time of day because "lol pro wrestling". Not because the football was atrocious because it was made up of players the NFL, CFL and AFL did not want nor that North American football is so loving competitive there is no reason to challenge the NFL unless you want to fail.

A fair number of those guys the NFL didn't want sure did get contracts for the NFL based on their play in the XFL. If Vince was smart he would have marketed it as a sort of minor league or second chance football but somebody post that picture.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The XFL's problem was absolutely the bad marketing and pro wrestling connection. Quality of football is less important than you'd think, although perception of the quality is somewhat important.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

The XFL ruled because it was football and football rules.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Was Tommy Maddox the only "good" player to come out of the XFL? Also we should also account that Vince had a horrible childhood which probably accounts for all the incest stories he tries pushing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Pretty sure this was On the Record with Bob Costas

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Pretty sure this was On the Record with Bob Costas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxChS8qfsWM

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hirams Bitch posted:

The XFL ruled because it was football and football rules.

Also it gave us HE HATE ME and Kaientai lecturing cheerleaders on proper etiquette.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Was Tommy Maddox the only "good" player to come out of the XFL? Also we should also account that Vince had a horrible childhood which probably accounts for all the incest stories he tries pushing.

Rod Smart did okay returning kicks for Carolina and Kelly Herndon started in the Super Bowl for Seattle, but that's all I can remember.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

achillesforever6 posted:

Was Tommy Maddox the only "good" player to come out of the XFL?

How dare you forget "He Hate Me"! yeah, Tommy Maddox was pretty much it...XFL saved his career

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Mike Furrey would like a word with you all. :colbert:

also here's the Wikipedia list of XFL/NFL players.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Corey Ivy had a pretty good career as a nickel corner, and Mike Furrey had a 98 catch season (after initially making it in the NFL as a safety).

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Corey Ivy had a pretty good career as a nickel corner, and Mike Furrey had a 98 catch season (after initially making it in the NFL as a safety).

Steve Gleason, Kevin Kaesviharn, and Paris Lenon all had varying degrees of success, as well, from what I recall.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Why does Vickie draw so much heat?? Is it the voice?? I mean everytime she's on the mic it's like the whole audience bonds to yell at her… amazing

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Honestly, at this point I think fans just boo her so much because that's what's expected.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I got to imagine that Eddie is proud at how much heat his wife gets in the big ring in the sky before having another bout with Chris.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

achillesforever6 posted:

I got to imagine that Eddie is proud at how much heat his wife gets in the big ring in the sky before having another bout with Chris.

I bet Nancy and Daniel are cheering them on in the crowd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I bet Nancy and Daniel are cheering them on in the crowd!

They love Candido.