Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Post supervisor just told me to put all the AMA'ed parts in one bin first, then they'll consolidate as one. I haven't tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Post supervisor just told me to put all the AMA'ed parts in one bin first, then they'll consolidate as one. I haven't tried it yet.

This works for Final Cut and spanned cards. I copy them all to one drive, then go into Log and Transfer and then keep adding them to the Transfer window and it'll auto-span the cards. I'm sure Avid will go the same way w/ their import process.

FordTimelord
Aug 11, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, that's how I understand it happening. My workflow must involve Avid handling most of the magic, because I'm pretty sure my clips get joined automatically when I put them in the same bin and transcode.

As slow as it can be sometimes, AMA has come a long way in relatively little time. Saves me so much time when I'm doing something very intense like a 48 hour film project and I can't afford to transcode everything if I don't need it.

Here's a question for my fellow editors: have any of you tried any alternative solutions to using a mouse? My wrist is giving me guff after a decade of IT work, writing, and editing and I'm looking into something a little kinder to my carpal tunnels. I'm not sure I could handle a trackball but I've read about lots of people switching to them as editors and sound guys. Thoughts?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I have a trackball and I love it, but I'm kind of old school. I actually switch between the trackball, a magic track pad and my wacom randomly to get rid of the repetitive motion.

It's not the best option for you if you don't spend most of your time on the keyboard though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like switching between a Kensington expert trackball and Microsoft's weird ergonomic mouse. It seems like switching it up helps helps quite a bit itself.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've tried trackballs. tablets, and touchpads and none of them have really worked out for me.

Learning more keyboard commands has made things much easier, but I still need a mouse for keyframing objects.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm a big fan of Kensington trackballs too. The ones with a scroll ring are great for editing, because the ring works like a jog wheel (at least in Final Cut, where it goes well together with the option key, which speeds the wheel up if you need to). Apart from that, using a trackball becomes second nature very quickly and for me personally, it feels so much more comfortable than a mouse. A tablet doesn't work for me for editing at all.

EDIT: Of course using the keyboard commands as much as possible will not only be very comfortable, but also speed up your editing a lot.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 10, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I've got my tablet mapped so gestures do various shortcut things but in general I agree, tablets aren't really great for editing. I mostly keep it around in case I need to do a mask or roto work.

I edit so much in the field that I've become really quick with the built in macbook pro trackpad, but that was born out of necessity more than anything.

I'll have to look into those Kensington trackballs, I have an ancient 3-button logitech but I love it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
This isn't exactly the right thread, but with after effects users in here maybe it'll work.

Are there any Quartz Composer users around SA? I just started using it because some of the stuff I want to do for live video requires more variation that you can only get with something like QC and not pre-rendered clips.

I'm running into some issues with QC and getting pissed because I can do what I want to do easily in AE, but not QC and I have no where to turn to for help, other than lovely QC Manuals and a couple decent tutorials that kind of help point me in the right direction.

Is there a big enough QC user base on SA to warrant a thread? Anyone know of some really great QC resources?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there some sort of channel other than eBay to sell production equipment?

We just closed down our Tampa facility and have tons of rack mounted equipment. They were a post/finishing/editing facility so it's all decks and smoke (2009 not upgraded) and other stuff. The most expensive piece being an HDCam deck.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Is there some sort of channel other than eBay to sell production equipment?

We just closed down our Tampa facility and have tons of rack mounted equipment. They were a post/finishing/editing facility so it's all decks and smoke (2009 not upgraded) and other stuff. The most expensive piece being an HDCam deck.

It's probably worth posting your inventory on DVXUser and seeing if anyone's interested.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?17-For-Sale-or-Want-to-Buy

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Moon Potato posted:

It's probably worth posting your inventory on DVXUser and seeing if anyone's interested.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?17-For-Sale-or-Want-to-Buy

Hey thanks!

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Does anyone recommend how to convert a premiere project file's assets into dpx or a tiff image sequence? I currently have a project in muxed cineform but I want to generate either dpx or tiff for discrete left and right eyes for working in after effects? Because cineform 3D is poo poo, half the time when I switch eyes in neoplayer it refuses to refresh in after effects without clearing the cache completely)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mozzie posted:

Does anyone recommend how to convert a premiere project file's assets into dpx or a tiff image sequence? I currently have a project in muxed cineform but I want to generate either dpx or tiff for discrete left and right eyes for working in after effects? Because cineform 3D is poo poo, half the time when I switch eyes in neoplayer it refuses to refresh in after effects without clearing the cache completely)

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but After Effects exports to DPX and Tiff sequences.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but After Effects exports to DPX and Tiff sequences.

I don't want to export to dpx, I want to work in DPX. Basically want I want is a media manager function (ala fcp) to convert all the media in the premiere project to DPX and then bring that into after effects. And I have to do that twice, once for left and again for right, then bring those into the same project.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I know this is more IT focused, but have you guys had issues with Media Composer 5 and Active Directory accounts on a Mac? I am running MC5.5 on a couple of Mac Pros on SL, and when I try to launch it with an AD account, it can't find the shared users directory, so it crashes out. The best I can tell, it is because the file path is hard coded to be a relative path (one level up from user home), and my AD plugin makes it /Users/local/ADS/$userhome. Local users (both standard and admin) work fine.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Crosspost from SH/SC thread:

This may be exceedingly obvious, but is there any particular reason Autodesk's Smoke re-releases have been Mac-exclusive?

I assume it's something to do with IFF/S coming from Linux, but can anyone elaborate?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
So I installed FCP7 on ML today and the Mac App Store will not update it. Instead, it tells me that FCP X and Compressor 4 are the only available updates. I guess Apple has made that pretty clear.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I did all my FCP7 updates through software update, not the app store. Im still on snow leopard tho, so I'm not sure if ML has that function still

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

bassguitarhero posted:

I did all my FCP7 updates through software update, not the app store. Im still on snow leopard tho, so I'm not sure if ML has that function still

It doesn't. The only way to update software is through the Mac App Store. So I launched FCP7, and then noticed that FCP X was installed too. I didn't install it, but I launched it, it updated itself, and then broke FCP7. Very interesting indeed.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Wow, Adobe CS6 has new software called Speedgrade... It seems like they're trying to capitalize on Apple killing Color. Well, with After Effects and Premiere it's starting to like like quite the package! I'm so sick of all the roundabouts working with RED stuff in Final Cut.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
They're too late - Resolve has been free for a while now and works with almost any post workflow.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Well...Davinci Resolve isn't FREE, the lite version is, and it's not quite as powerful as color is, intentionally obviously.

I love my Final Touch HD Apple Color. I do RED color grades all the time. A little program called clip finder makes it essentially foolproof.

Although Resolve is pretty great, without the full control surface it feels like fake DaVinci.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

mayodreams posted:

It doesn't. The only way to update software is through the Mac App Store. So I launched FCP7, and then noticed that FCP X was installed too. I didn't install it, but I launched it, it updated itself, and then broke FCP7. Very interesting indeed.

I reinstalled FCP7 after upgrading to a computer with Lion, and it still updated through software update. The updates are usually titled something like "Pro Apps Update" instead of mentioning the program by name, though.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Greenplastic posted:

Wow, Adobe CS6 has new software called Speedgrade... It seems like they're trying to capitalize on Apple killing Color. Well, with After Effects and Premiere it's starting to like like quite the package! I'm so sick of all the roundabouts working with RED stuff in Final Cut.

SpeedGrade is not new. It has been a very good and expensive, high-end color grading software for quite some time before Adobe acquired it last year. I worked with it a lot on TV and Cinema productions for the last couple of years and I'm really curious to try out Adobe's take on it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Moon Potato posted:

I reinstalled FCP7 after upgrading to a computer with Lion, and it still updated through software update. The updates are usually titled something like "Pro Apps Update" instead of mentioning the program by name, though.

Right. Mountain Lion gets rid of the old Software Update app and only will let you update through the Mac App store. I manually downloaded the Pro Apps updates and they still work fine. I traced FCP crashing to the AJA Kona drivers I installed, so I really can't throw Apple under the bus there. :v:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Right. Mountain Lion gets rid of the old Software Update app and only will let you update through the Mac App store. I manually downloaded the Pro Apps updates and they still work fine. I traced FCP crashing to the AJA Kona drivers I installed, so I really can't throw Apple under the bus there. :v:

My bad - I thought people were using ML as an abbreviation for MacOSX Lion. Disregard the earlier post.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I'm having real issues in Resolve Lite. Couldn't get an answer from CreativeCow so I thought I'd try here.

quote:

So I'm trying to take a mini project from DaVinci resolve back to Premier Pro CS5 (PC). Got it in ok, doesn't like the still images and additive dissolves but no problem there. When I export an XML from DaVinci though the program spits out a file that for some reason dumps twelve minutes of black video at the start. The edit is all out of sync. I haven't checked properly but I have a feeling that it's because I set handles and premier is just dumping the entire thing in without cutting them off.

Lastly the second video track is lumped at the end of the first video track, meaning some of my lovely flashy images are now just flickers at the end of the project.

Getting from Color to Premier was easier than this. And that was cross platform!

Alternatively if anyone has a good workflow between CS5 and Resolve please post it. The thing I'm working on takes a couple of hours to grade so I'd be fine with redoing everything if it meant I could get the fucker back to Premier.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

XTimmy posted:

So I'm having real issues in Resolve Lite. Couldn't get an answer from CreativeCow so I thought I'd try here.

Alternatively if anyone has a good workflow between CS5 and Resolve please post it. The thing I'm working on takes a couple of hours to grade so I'd be fine with redoing everything if it meant I could get the fucker back to Premier.

Have you tried exporting an EDL of your clean-feed videotrack from Premiere, importing it in Resolve, re-linking/re-doing your grades and exporting an EDL back from Resolve to Premiere? I'm not sure, but maybe you can even just render your graded clips and re-link them in Premiere without needing an XML/EDL from Resolve.

EDIT: Can you try to import Resolve's XML in Final Cut and export an FCP XML from there for Premiere?

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 11, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

FLX posted:

Have you tried exporting an EDL of your clean-feed videotrack from Premiere, importing it in Resolve, re-linking/re-doing your grades and exporting an EDL back from Resolve to Premiere? I'm not sure, but maybe you can even just render your graded clips and re-link them in Premiere without needing an XML/EDL from Resolve.

EDIT: Can you try to import Resolve's XML in Final Cut and export an FCP XML from there for Premiere?

PC, so no FCP, I'm unfamiliar with the term "Cleanfeed" does that just mean no effects/transitions or does it mean everything reduced to a single video track? I'll try EDLs soon and see what happens.

EDIT: Ok so now Resolve tries to load the EDL and immediatley throws a "Failed to create default session" error. Thanks by the way I appreciate the response.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 11, 2012

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

XTimmy posted:

PC, so no FCP, I'm unfamiliar with the term "Cleanfeed" does that just mean no effects/transitions or does it mean everything reduced to a single video track? I'll try EDLs soon and see what happens.

EDIT: Ok so now Resolve tries to load the EDL and immediatley throws a "Failed to create default session" error. Thanks by the way I appreciate the response.

Yes, I meant everything reduced to one videotrack, no effects, titles, etc. just regular cuts (and regular dissolves).

Maybe try and create a new project in Resolve, import all needed video clips in the media pool, create the master session and then "load" the EDL.

EDIT: Or you could just go to your finished Resolve project and try exporting an EDL of the main video track instead of an XML to import into Premiere (right-click on the video track -> "export EDL", I think)

EDIT 2: You can hit me up on Skype if you want to talk: theflx. I work with Resolve a lot for a film school here and solving these things is good knowledge for me (even though we only work with FCP and Avid there).

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 11, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So now I have managed to get it to open an EDL from Premier, but every single clip on the timeline in Resolve is throwing a conflict and not referencing back to the correct clip. All of them are fragments of one movie file, I'm assuming the first one in the folder but I don't know. I could go back and relink every file but I'm using this as a testbed for larger stuff and that's just totally unacceptable.

EDIT: On the plus side I just made a Premier->Resolve->Premier roundtrip with an XML, didn't actually GRADE anything but I managed to get everything to sync up, which is nice. Hopefully that holds for the grade.

EDIT2: I may take you up on that, but later, this is a tiny project that I'm doing for S+G, to learn about Resolve. I really appreciate the help.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 11, 2012

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Problem: I have some .mov files captured in FCP that I need to work with in Premiere on a PC. If I try to import the files as-is I get a codec error. I found a program that can rewrap the video into a usable format but it discards the audio. Most other methods that didn't fix the video at least allowed me to work with the audio, but it appears that it's combining multiple channels (from multiple mics) into one single channel. The thing is that when I inspect the files using VLC it tells me there's only one channel to begin with. Since this isn't my own footage, I either need to find a way to keep the audio intact, or a way to definitively show that it only has one channel to begin with and the problem isn't on my end.

Thanks for reading!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yip Yips posted:

Problem: I have some .mov files captured in FCP that I need to work with in Premiere on a PC. If I try to import the files as-is I get a codec error. I found a program that can rewrap the video into a usable format but it discards the audio. Most other methods that didn't fix the video at least allowed me to work with the audio, but it appears that it's combining multiple channels (from multiple mics) into one single channel. The thing is that when I inspect the files using VLC it tells me there's only one channel to begin with. Since this isn't my own footage, I either need to find a way to keep the audio intact, or a way to definitively show that it only has one channel to begin with and the problem isn't on my end.

Thanks for reading!

What codec did you capture in? Make sure you have the QuickTime Codecs installed on your Windows machine and inspect the .movs in the QuickTime Player.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Could it be that the QuickTime movies are reference files? When you export from final cut then you're given an option to make the movie "self-contained" ie it embeds all the media into one file, but if that isn't checked then it creates a reference file and the original files are elsewhere.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

FLX posted:

What codec did you capture in? Make sure you have the QuickTime Codecs installed on your Windows machine and inspect the .movs in the QuickTime Player.

The files were sent to me by someone else. I unfortunately don't have access to FCP or a Mac at the moment.

I can only get the audio to play in QT. This is what MediaInfo says about the file, which I think is telling me that there are two audio sources in there. But how the crap do I get both out :(

edit - Looking at it again it specifies that one is the left channel and the other is the right channel, so I don't think I'm missing anything.

edit 2 - I think I figured it out. You can (have to?) export each channel individually using FFmpeg. Thanks all.

code:
Format                                   : QuickTime
Format/Info                              : Original Apple specifications
Commercial name                          : HDV 1080i
File size                                : 11.4 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 1mn
Overall bit rate                         : 26.6 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-05-01 20:38:27
Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-05-11 00:06:03
Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime
Media/UUID                               : 5BA5414E-70D1-46F9-90E6-EDB45F2D11A5
©TSC                                     : 2997
©TSZ                                     : 100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Commercial name                          : HDV 1080i
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@High 1440
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15
Codec ID                                 : hdv2
Source duration                          : 1h 1mn
Bit rate                                 : 25.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 416 pixels
Original width                           : 1 440 pixels
Height                                   : 1 062 pixels
Original height                          : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.555
Stream size                              : 10.7 GiB (94%)
Source stream size                       : 10.7 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-05-01 20:38:28
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : sowt
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 768 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: L
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Delay relative to video                  : 7s 731ms
Stream size                              : 338 MiB (3%)
Source stream size                       : 338 MiB (3%)

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : sowt
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 768 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Delay relative to video                  : 7s 731ms
Stream size                              : 338 MiB (3%)
Source stream size                       : 338 MiB (3%)

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 12, 2012

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

XTimmy posted:

Resolve can't correctly handle XML from any version before CS 5.5.1, I think the recommended solution was to export an AFF from Premier or to scrub the XML through FCP 7 (which isn't an option for you on PC).

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Gunjin posted:

Resolve can't correctly handle XML from any version before CS 5.5.1, I think the recommended solution was to export an AFF from Premier or to scrub the XML through FCP 7 (which isn't an option for you on PC).

It's been handling it inwards OK thus far actually, the issue that I've now encountered is that I have deliberate gaps in my timeline. If I fill them with nothing then Resolve doesn't recognize them and it screws the sync back to Premier, if I fill them with black video in Premier, then roundtrip on the way back Premiere generates TWELVE HOURS of black video for each section then ignores the in-out points for it in the XML, meaning each gap is twelve hours long. I could create a black video file and use that but that's a drat stupid work around for something that should not be an issue.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
So I'm doing a school project that requires some really simple (I think) video editing and was wondering if this thread could give some advice. Basically, I have to take some existing video files, extract 10 seconds of continuous footage from each, then splice those all together (with maybe a blank screen in between each clip). What's the best free program that will let me do this easily? The files are currently .flv, but I think I can convert them pretty easily. Also, I have access to both a mac and a PC. Would something like imovie do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balzac
Sep 20, 2001
Adobe Premiere would probably be the most hassle free solution. (Download the 30-day trial)

Otherwise, iMovie is fine so long as you convert the .flv files to another Quicktime friendly format first.