Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Kaptain K posted:

Disingenuousness as a tool for comedy bothers me. The best comedy is sincere and genuine in my opinion.

That's fine, but I assure you the dandy suit and coifed hair are sincere and reflective of his own personal tastes. Just because somebody doesn't perform in jeans and a dirty hanes T doesn't make them disingenuous.

If you like sincerity I highly recommend his You Should Have Told Me special/DVD. That one may be more up your alley than his absurd/riff based stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

PFT aside this is a pretty pretentious sounding thing and while your honesty is awesome I don't know if I support making GBS threads on people because their style is not your favorite - it's somebody's favorite. Not everything has to be meant for you. Some of the best comedy is sincere and genuine I agree, but there are plenty of things which are hilarious and insincere.
I don't think I was ever making GBS threads on PFT or saying he looks dumb; the very first thing I said was how much I like him. I don't like any standups who play a character of themselves and I feel like that's the cornerstone of Paul's material.

nadabolt posted:

If you like sincerity I highly recommend his You Should Have Told Me special/DVD. That one may be more up your alley than his absurd/riff based stuff.
I've listened to all of PFT's albums and it's far from bad - the core of his jokes are excellent - I just constantly have the distinct sense that there's something I don't "get". I understand that absurdism is part of his act and persona and for me personally that's never been something I've been able to find funny.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 6, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kaptain K posted:

I don't think I was ever making GBS threads on PFT or saying he looks dumb; the very first thing I said was how much I like him. I don't like any standups who play a character of themselves and I feel like that's the cornerstone of Paul's material.

I've listened to all of PFT's albums and it's far from bad - the core of his jokes are excellent - I just constantly have the distinct sense that there's something I don't "get". I understand that absurdism is part of his act and persona and for me personally that's never been something I've been able to find funny.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of standups are playing some sort of exaggerated version of themselves, which I think is all I get from PFT's performances. I also get the impression that the clothes thing is something that's followed him cutting down the drink and losing a ton of weight - the PFT of Mr Show I don't think could have got away with a mustache and a snazzy suit. Maybe it's just something he's always wanted to do but couldn't carry off before.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Have you heard the latest special? It's practically a one-man show. It's memoirish and Birbiglian. He's in his 40s and he's married. There is positively nothing "hipster" about him, he's just a genuinely funny observational comedian who wears nice suits because he's into men's fashion.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kaptain K posted:

I just constantly have the distinct sense that there's something I don't "get".

comedy

also, human beings

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Kaptain K posted:

He's not playing a character of himself. He's just dressing like he likes to dress. Even in the 'before' picture you posted earlier he was wearing a suit. He likes suits. And that "ironic moustache" is just a moustache. People are allowed to change their facial hair over the years.

Kaptain K posted:

You're being too self-conscious. If you think it's funny then just enjoy it instead of fretting about "missing something" or being afraid of supporting "hipsters" or whatever you're on about.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Hey guys, what level of irony do I have to be operating on to find Paul F. Tompkins funny?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Peter North posted:

Hey guys, what level of irony do I have to be operating on to find Paul F. Tompkins funny?

Some will say 3, but a solid 2 will suffice.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PFT has probably become less of a character the more he's done comedy. Check out his first CC half hour to see him in full on pompous fancy mode.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Kaptain K posted:

Do you not live in a place where they have hipsters? I think most tuned-in people are well acquainted with this concept.

Naw man we're deep into the post ironic phase of fashion at this point.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
PFT legitimately looks way better with the mustache. It hides the gap in his teeth.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kaptain K posted:

Disingenuousness as a tool for comedy bothers me. The best comedy is sincere and genuine in my opinion.

Perhaps you would like to hear more about the philosophy me and my buddy Jesse Thorn follow. It's called the new sincerity and we invented it.

Groucho Marxist posted:

PFT legitimately looks way better with the mustache. It hides the gap in his teeth.

I think hiding his hosed up grill is probably a way more realistic reason than PFT wearing it out of some sense of hipster irony.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Al! posted:

Perhaps you would like to hear more about the philosophy me and my buddy Jesse Thorn follow. It's called the new sincerity and we invented it.

Unironic appreciation of men's fashion seems to go hand in hand with that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I literally can't believe someone would call PFT a hipster, it makes less than no sense.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure that 99% of standups are playing some sort of exaggerated version of themselves
Eddie Pepitone dials it back to about 40%.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Am I the only one who hates people who complain about hipsters more than actual hipsters? This just in: you can enjoy the same things hipsters do without actually being a hipster yourself. If you see someone enjoying something that hipsters are known to "enjoy" and assume they are a hipster, guess what? You're the rear end in a top hat. Also, we already had a word for people who do things just to appear cool: douchbags. We don't need a new word for it, especially a word people overuse and misuse to the point where it loses all meaning.

Groucho Marxist posted:

It's not just the gap in his teeth. He just looks right with a mustache. I don't understand how you can look at PFT and think "Well, obviously that mustache is just ironic."

indigi posted:

I literally can't believe someone would call PFT a hipster, it makes less than no sense.

Also this. Go listen to him on The Todd Glass Show, where he's mostly just being himself (except for the juice bar guy which is fuckin hilarious). He's a bastion of sincerity.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Also this. Go listen to him on The Todd Glass Show, where he's mostly just being himself (except for the juice bar guy which is fuckin hilarious). He's a bastion of sincerity.

This. Everyone needs to hear it if you haven't already. You miss a little bit of the story in this clip, but to George Carlin it's still the most hillarious bit on the Todd Glass show.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The real Paul F. Tompkins is most like his character on King of the Hill.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I had a mustache for a couple days, but my wife hated it, so... It's too bad too, because I looked uncannily like Jim Gordon.

Paul looks right with a mustache. John Hodgman just looks silly, though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DangerDummy! posted:

Paul looks right with a mustache. John Hodgman just looks silly, though.

This is really all that needs to be said about moustaches.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So a couple of new comedy albums came out today; Graham Elwood released Palm Strike Dance Party and Bobcat Goldthwait released You Don't Look the Same, Either.

Anyone plan on buying either of these? I'm really interested to see how funny Bobcat's album might be.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

plastered quack posted:

Anyone plan on buying either of these? I'm really interested to see how funny Bobcat's album might be.

I saw Bobcat's special on showtime a few months ago and it was fantastic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh poo poo!

quote:

hi. 2 new things to buy at louisck.com: WORD LIVE at Carnegie Hall (audio) Shameless (audio) + audio version of LATBT

Seems like all of them are $5.

- edit

quote:

Hello there. I am Louis C.K. for now. You are a person who opted into my email list, when you bought my Live at the Beacon standup special. As I promised, I have left you alone for a long time. Well, those days are over. I am writing now to let you know that I am offering some more stuff on my site, which you are more than welcome to buy. What does "More than welcome" mean? Well, it means you can totally buy this stuff. Like, totally.
Okay so there are two new products. They are both audio comedy specials. One is called...
Louis CK: WORD - Live at Carnegie Hall
This is about an hour long and it's a recording of a live standup show that I did at Carnegie Hall in November of 2010 as part of a national tour I was on entitled "WORD" I've had a lot of requests from people to release that show as a speical or as a CD. I hadn't done so because a lot of the material that I did on the WORD tour, was in the second season of my show "LOUIE" on FX. But I decided since it's never been released as an entire show, and some of the material was not on my show, I'm releasing this now. I'm giving you this long and boring explaination because, as most of you know, I release about an hour or more of new standup material every year and folks can count on seeing a new show every year. This is old material, so I don't want to be a dick and pretend it isn't.
Anyway, Louis CK: WORD - Live at Carnegie hall is available for the same 5 dollars as everything will be. It is the same deal as before that you get 4 downloads and the file is drm free. YOu can burn it onto a CD, play it on your ipod, whatever you want. The special is broken up into separate tracks because I think that's more fun for a comedy album, but they are all just one thing you buy all at one time.
The second new thing is even older, actually. It's an audio release of "Shameless", my very first hour long standup special that I did for HBO. It was never released as an audio CD, so I asked HBO to let me offer it on this site and they agreed. They also agreed to let me offer it, the same as the rest, DRM free, for 5 dollars. Obviously I'll be sharing the Shameless money with HBO but I think it's pretty cool that they're letting this be out there unprotected like this. Shameless is also 5 dollars, drm free, and you can download it a bunch of times for the price.
Lastly, I'm offering Live at the Beacon Theater as an audio version, for those many of you who have asked for it. This is just exactly an audio version of the video special. Those of you who have already bought Live at the Beacon theater already own this. If you login with your password, it is now live and available for you to download at no extra cost. Those of you who now buy LIve at the beacon theater for 5 dollars, will also have the audio version availbable to you. It's simply been added to the video downloads and streams you already were getting.
Later, I am going to make a version of Live at the Beacon theater, that is a separate audio special, which will be much longer. That will cost money. Because I'm an rear end in a top hat. But that's later.
Also later, actually soon, I'll be putting my first feature film "Tomorrow Night' up for sale on the site. And also other things. Soon. For now.
You may have noticed that Louis CK LIve at the beacon theater is airing on the FX network. FX agreed to air it 10 times over the next few months. The version on FX is only 42 minutes long and we had to take out the fucks. The reason I chose to air the special on FX is that FX is my people. They gave me my show LOUIE (season 3 premieres on June 28th at 10:30pm) and they have never aired a standup special. So I thought it would be cool to let them air it and bring more people to the site who want to get the complete unexpurgated version. Also FX doesn't make me cut things for content. Just the big words (gently caress, etc)

Okay. that was exhausting. Sorry. I didn't even ask you how you are. How are you? Oh yea? Oh good. That's great. What? Oh man. That's tough. I'm sorry... Oh well that sounds like you handled it well, though. So. Yeah. Yeah. I know. I know that's... yeah. Well... Just remember, time will go by and that'll just be on the list of poo poo that happened to you. You'll be okay. Yeah. Huh?... Oh. Really? HE DID? Oh my GOD! hahaha!! That's CRAZY! No. no. I won't tell him you told me. Of course not. Alright well... uhuh? Oh wow. yeah. Alright well.. I really gotta go.
Thanks for listening. I'm glad you're basically okay. Stay in touch.
your friend,

Louis C.K.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 11, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I went on a little bit of a comedy album buying spree. I bought both of Jonah Ray's EPs, Matt Braunger's Soak Up The Night, Jimmy Pardo's Pompous Clown, John Mulaney's The Top Part, and Pete Holmes' Impregnated With Wonder. They are all good, but John Mulaney's and Pete Holmes' are so funny it's crazy. Anyone got some more suggestions.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jen Kirkman's latest was great if you don't have that one. Natasha Leggero's Coke Money was also pretty good. I haven't heard Eddie Pepitone's CD but I've heard a lot of good things

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I went on a little bit of a comedy album buying spree. I bought both of Jonah Ray's EPs, Matt Braunger's Soak Up The Night, Jimmy Pardo's Pompous Clown, John Mulaney's The Top Part, and Pete Holmes' Impregnated With Wonder. They are all good, but John Mulaney's and Pete Holmes' are so funny it's crazy. Anyone got some more suggestions.

John Mulaney has one that just came out a couple months ago, "New in Town," that's also great. Kyle Kinane's "Death of the Party" if you haven't heard that.

e: Second Jen Kirkman's latest (Hail to the Freaks)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you are cheap, a ton of comedy albums are on Spotify. I just listened to Patton Oswalds' and Pete Holme's most recents album there. But are crazy good.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Tig Notaro's "Good One" and Amy Schumer's "Cutting" are both really good. Greg Proops' "Elsewhere" is also good, but it really is very similar to his podcast. And I'm gonna second "Death of the Party" because Kyle Kinane is loving hysterical.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Way ahead of you guys on the second John Mulaney and Kyle Kinane.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Hmm, you probably own most if not all of these albums, but some "must own" albums for me are:
both PFT albums
Patton's first and third album
Jeselnik's Shakespeare
Marc Maron's This Has to be Funny
Todd Barry's Falling Off the Bone
Louis CK albums (Word - Live at Carnegie Hall just came out. It's great, and it's only $5)
and the blatantly obvious older albums from Cosby, Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, Hedberg, ect.

Some albums I enjoy but aren't maybe for everyone are:
Dan Telfer's Fossil Record (it's really short but great)
Dana Gould's Fun House (early Dana, so hit-or-miss sometimes)
The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of Eugene Mirman
Greg Behrendt is Uncool
DLM Premium episodes (suprise! But really, $2 for an hour and a half of pretty good entertainment is a bargain)
NNF Seasons

Probably that entire list is blantantly obvious to everyone here, but hey you never know. :)

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I think I spent an entire year listening to Todd Barry's two first albums on and off

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Just running down the Comedy genre on my iPod...

Patton Oswalt - My Weakness Is Strong
Patton Oswalt - 222
Patton Oswalt - Werewolves & Lollipops
Patton Oswalt - Frankensteins and Gumdrops
Patton Oswalt - Pennsylvania Macaroni Company
Patton Oswalt - Patton Vs. Alcohol Vs. Zach Vs. Patton Ep
Louis CK - Word (I would have all the Louis CK albums if I didn't already have the shows on DVD)
Brian Regan - All By Myself
Robin Harris - BeBe's Kids
Maria Bamford - The Burning Bridges Tour
Maria Bamford - How To Win!
Maria Bamford - Unwanted Thoughts Syndrome
Dave Attell - Skanks for the Memories
Mitch Hedberg - Do You Believe in Gosh?
Mitch Hedberg - Strategic Grill Locations
Mitch Hedberg - Mitch All Together
Greg Proops - Elsewhere
Greg Proops - Joke Book
Sarah Silverman - Jesus Is Magic
Dan Telfer - Fossil Record
Tig Notato - Good One
Katt Williams - It's Pimpin' Pimpin'
Aziz Ansari - Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
Jimmy Pardo - Pompous Clown
Doug Benson - Potty Mouth
Todd Glass - Thin Pig
David Cross - It's Not Funny
David Cross - Shut Up, You loving Baby!
Todd Barry - Falling Off the Bone
Todd Barry - From Heaven
Todd Barry - Medium Energy
Dana Gould - Funhouse
Dana Gould - Let Me Put My Thoughts in You
Paula Poundstone - I Heart Jokes
Paul F. Tompkins - Freak Wharf
Paul F. Tompkins - Impersonal
Jake Johannsen - I Love You
Jake Johannsen - Jake This Dot Com
Jake Johannsen - Live at Cobb's Comedy Club
Various Artists - Invite Them Up
Various Artists - Un-Cabaret: The Un & Only

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
What's the general consensus on Richard Jeni here? I absolutely adored his comedy and was thoroughly depressed when he killed himself.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I listened to Hannibal Burress' CD off spotify today and thought it was excellent.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I too will also hit the comedy button in iTunes and throw a list at you and I'll try and cut out what's already been mentioned:

Andrew Daly: Nine Sweaters
Baron Vaughn: Raised on Radio
Chris Fairbanks: Fairbanks!
Dylan Moran: Monster
Kyle Kinane: Death of the Party
Reggie Watts: Why poo poo so Crazy?
Reggie Watts: A Live in Central Park
Rory Scovel: Dilation
The Sklar Brothers: Sklar Maps
W. Kamau Bell: One Night Only

If you like super conceptual sketck-y stuff, I do love Scharpling & Wurster (The Best Show on WFMU) CDs. Nine Sweaters is really concept-y, too, whereas Reggie Watts is just bananas and it's worth picking up the CDs since they both come with DVDs. Why poo poo so Crazy? doesn't really repeat any material either. If you could call it material.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

caligulamprey posted:

Dylan Moran: Monster

Dylan Moran is so loving good. I had forgotten about him, thanks for the reminder.

None of his standup currently appears to be on Netflix, but there are two movies he's in, "Black Books" and "A Film with Me in It." I know this is the standup thread, but can anybody comment on whether any of these are worth watching?

e: Anybody have recommendations for other Irish comedians? I love Moran and I remember liking what I've seen of Tommy Tiernan, but I can't think of any other names off the top of my head.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 22, 2012

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BobTheCow posted:

"Black Books"

Black Books was a TV show he created with Graham Linehan (who made Father Ted) and is absolutely amazing, watch it right now.

Edit: seriously.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

caligulamprey posted:

Black Books was a TV show he created with Graham Linehan (who made Father Ted) and is absolutely amazing, watch it right now.

You ain't lying. Black Books is the best.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

caligulamprey posted:

LesterGroans posted:

You ain't lying. Black Books is the best.

You bastards, I just watched the first episode and now I know for an absolute certainly I will accomplish none of the things I intended to tonight because I'll be watching this show instead. :argh:

e: Is Dylan Moran as perpetually inebriated as he always seems to appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

BobTheCow posted:

e: Is Dylan Moran as perpetually inebriated as he always seems to appear?

To a large extent. To lose another night of your life, give his standup a try.