Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I've got my Steam list set up with categories for maximum backlog playing abilities.

Favorites = Now Playing
Completed SP = Games I've beaten
Incomplete SP = Games I have yet to beat
Unplayed = Games I have yet to play
Games = The rest of my collection, games without a beatable SP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Malek posted:

Does the Steam Group chatroom ever get used by the way?

Some people setup games there, but most of the community seems to have moved to IRC for chat. #steamgoons on irc.synirc.net; password is on a specific thread in PGS.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zedicus Mann posted:

I've got my Steam list set up with categories for maximum backlog playing abilities.

Favorites = Now Playing
Completed SP = Games I've beaten
Incomplete SP = Games I have yet to beat
Unplayed = Games I have yet to play
Games = The rest of my collection, games without a beatable SP

What do you use for games that came with a humble / indie bundle and are just too drat painful to play?

Saoshyant posted:

Some people setup games there, but most of the community seems to have moved to IRC for chat. #steamgoons on irc.synirc.net; password is on a specific thread in PGS.

Thanks for the information.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Malek posted:

What do you use for games that came with a humble / indie bundle and are just too drat painful to play?

I have a "crap" category set up in my steam for games I have no intention of ever playing. I think there are about a dozen games in it at the moment, though I could probably move a few more there if I bothered going through my list.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I fear we may be nearing Steam Sale season.
Brace your wallets and backlogs, everybody!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
BEAT: Hard Reset. Based upon the love for this title here on the forums, I was expecting a lot more than what I got. Despite having been developed by some former People Can Fly devs, and given that People Can Fly have made some of the most fun FPSes in the past ten years, the experience was just... average. Let's just take the weapons as an example. Painkiller gave you a stake-gun, a freeze ray, and a gun that shoots friggin' shurikens. Bulletstorm gives you a lasso, grenade-bolas, and a sniper rifle with guided bullets. Why, then, does Hard Reset only offer the player glitzy versions of the same old Doom weapons?

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy my time with the game. I just thought that it could have been more original.

Zedicus Mann posted:

The Steam summer sale usually comes toward the end of June, so your wallet is safe for another month or so.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Devil Wears Wings posted:

BEAT: Hard Reset. Based upon the love for this title here on the forums, I was expecting a lot more than what I got.
I wasn't blown away by it either. One major issue I had was I didn't care for the weapons. The upgrade system had promise but ended up being just basically the same guns you get in other games. And with the shared ammo system, it made some weapon modes completely pointless. Once I upgraded to the rocket launcher, it didn't make sense to use anything else unless I ran completely out of ammo and had to switch to the energy gun until I picked up more. The enemies also had very little variation.

In between Diablo III sessions, I finished Darkfall: The Journal. I'm pretty proud of myself for only looking up online hints for two things in the game, and one was a pixel hunt I missed, so I don't feel bad. This whole sub-genre of haunted house point and click games must have passed me by, because this and Scratches I really enjoyed. The second Darkfall (Darkfall: Lights Out) is not shaping up to be as good though, from what I've seen so far.

edit: whoops, just realized the first two Darkfall games weren't from Steam, sorry. I picked them up in a GoG sale, so it felt kinda like a Steam impulse buy!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zedicus Mann posted:

Is it that time of year again already? Wow.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Is it that time of year again already? Wow.

We are still a month away from the Summer sale, so no. Not yet, anyway.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I beat Limbo today. I thought it was pretty cool and enjoyable, despite some bullshit with the physics, especially when dealing with those ladders in wheels. What really helps is that the length is excellent, it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Now I'm gonna play Saints Row: The Third and Company of Heroes for quite some time, I guess.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just beat Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It has tight controls, good level design, huge array of weapons and relics, not too long, and the end boss fight actually felt like an end boss should. One of the best 4 hour games I've ever beat.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
I "beat" Dear Esther (about 1.5 hrs after I had bought it on Steam).

I really enjoyed it but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. To quote my brother, "I slowly walked down a beach for what felt like two hours, hit a deadend and uninstalled it."

re Backloggery: I was pretty excited when I managed to upload my entire Steam catalogue but then I realised I still had all of my GoG games, physical copies, console games and my retro games to go (I own a lot of Commodore 64 games) ...

So many games ...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Figure I might as well update, before I go deep into the hole with the Summer sale.

Since the last time I updated, I've gotten, and beaten Portal 2, and Mass Effect 3 (not Steam, but relevant anyways). I've also picked up Legend of Grimrock, Tropico 3, Saints Row 2, Mount and Blade: Warband, Capsized, and On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episodes 1 and 2, and got Faerie Solitaire for free as a gift.

Oh, God, I'm so far behind. :suicide:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I better update here:

I've been working on Max Payne so I can move to Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne to prepare to play one of my new preorder games; Max Payne 3

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Zedicus Mann posted:

I better update here:

I've been working on Max Payne so I can move to Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne to prepare to play one of my new preorder games; Max Payne 3

:):hf::)

Sup replaying Max Payne buddy

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

dflanny posted:

:):hf::)

Sup replaying Max Payne buddy
Actually it's my first time though, but sure, Max Payne buddies.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

Actually it's my first time though, but sure, Max Payne buddies.

Well, okay then. I hope you enjoy it!

My memories of Max Payne 2 from playing it back in the day is that it's my favourite pure action game ever, hopefully it still holds up :ohdear:

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

dflanny posted:

Well, okay then. I hope you enjoy it!

My memories of Max Payne 2 from playing it back in the day is that it's my favourite pure action game ever, hopefully it still holds up :ohdear:

From someone doing the exact same thing: I only ever got to play Max Payne, but not the second one. I got it for pre-ordering as well and The Fall of Max Payne is still one of the best.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm envious, I wish I could play Max Payne again for the first time. As old as the game is it's still fantastic. And I believe it's one of the last third person shooters designed for the PC first, the keyboard and mouse controls are so smooth. There's such a huge difference compared to when you play a console port today.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I just finished Max Payne. Very good game, like most other older 3D games that became known as 'classics'.
However, the pain has just begun.
More will follow.

Great Soundtrack too.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2012

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
I beat Lone Survivor a few days ago... that was... rather interesting if not slightly more deeper meaning than what I was expecting from a 16 bit esque game. Moving on to a long one. Heroes of Might & Magic V.

Malek fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2012

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
As college ends, so begins my attempt to cut down my pile of games.

Managed to quickly clear Costume Quest - a fun little title that felt too easy once you got your team to level 8 or so, still worth playing through.

The addon pack for it, Grubbins on Ice, literally only took about a hour to blaze through.

So not sure to play next, may just hit up the Sonic 4 episodes, the levels seem to be really short.

Only Problem now is the Steam Summer Sales coming up and that may shake my backlog to hell.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Beat: Prototype. Good core gameplay, cool story, terrible mission design and sense of progression. After beating the story, I finished up all the Consume Events. The reward? A popup saying "Congratulations! You completed all the Consume Events!". You're probably waiting for an and but there is none. That's it. Just a popup telling you good job. :what:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Beat Batman: Arkham Asylum tonight on Easy. Fun game, though I still hate the Scarecrow sections gameplay-wise. I bought Arkham City when it was on sale a few weeks ago, trying to decide if I want to go ahead to move on to that, or to finish up something that I've already started.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

I think the strange thing about Dustforce is that a lot of the (early at least) levels have an open look to them like there's multiple paths and different ways of beating the level. Sure you can get through it in you won't actually be able to progress without doing it exactly the way the devs wanted you to.

I have BEATEN DUSTFORCE WITH ITS OWN BEATING STICK.

I have played all the levels in the Tier 3, and I have managed it without perfecting all the Tier 2 levels. I did this by recognizing the bug they patched back on May 11th, and taking advantage of it by (gasp!) actually playing levels multiple times and not resetting as soon as I made a mistake that would make that run not an improvement on the last one.

Then I was extremely petty and recorded all the level selections to prove that I did it, in case they decide to re-lock all the doors to retroactively remove any rights to level entry from the unworthy. It seems like the kind of thing they'd do.

"Visited all the levels" was my Beat goal for Dustforce, though, so I'm taking it off my backlog for real and such. It has been replaced with Rayman Origins because I am bad at pattern recognition, and I guess because Rayman 2 was pretty good overall and got better in versions later than the one I played.

Initial impressions of Rayman Origins: :pcgaming: :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

More considered ones, after I got past the ukulele soundtrack and the crazed slackjawed face every single character is making and the zombie apocalypse caused by Globox snoring too loudly: Signs are good. You have to collect things, but they're better signaled than in Rayman 1, and the checkpoints are partway through, and some of the things you're collecting are more like coins than Chaos Emeralds. :siren: Infinite lives and fast reset on death with no loss in collection percentage :siren: means that I'm going to be a whole lot more tolerant of vicious difficulty later on but world 1 didn't have much, it was just goofy wackiness.

I am cautiously optimistic.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Currently playing Sonic 4: Episode 1, man are the controls so stiff and unresponsive, compared to Sonic Generations 2D stages, so about half way through that.

Also started up a game I picked up in one of the Indie Bundles at some stage, The Shivah, a point and click adventure centered around a Jewish Rabbi, not too bad, though I have only one complaint.

"I have no need for a coat hanger" ...

:stare:

This is an adventure game, there is always need for items strewn across the ground, how else will I be able to sneak into the compound to get the letter, to give to the manager, to get the bottle-cap, to give to the child to...

Still an interesting game, which I hope to have finished fairly soon.

[EDIT] BEATEN - The Shivah: Now that was a short point and click game, not so much of an adventure though and way too short. Still kinda fun though.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 22, 2012

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Alright so as part of my ongoing backloggery thing, I'm starting up Dead Island and the DLC, so on that note, I'd rather not do it alone, anyone interested in doing some evening (-8 GMT/Pacific) co-op on this? Weekends available too.

My Steam Profile Just add me. :3:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Beaten Max Payne again. I realize now why I put it on God mode for the last section of the game all those years ago. It turns into a total quicksave fest, where every enemy can kill you in a millisecond. Thankfully, I managed to beat it without cheating this time. One of the reasons I like Max Payne 2 so much more is that it's a smoother experience all the way through, It doesn't resort to any of that bullshit.

Also, I decided to google Sam Lake, as not only did he write Max Payne's script, he also provided his likeness:

Dude

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Malek posted:

Alright so as part of my ongoing backloggery thing, I'm starting up Dead Island and the DLC, so on that note, I'd rather not do it alone, anyone interested in doing some evening (-8 GMT/Pacific) co-op on this? Weekends available too.

My Steam Profile Just add me. :3:

Just warning, the DLC is apparently a giant pile of poo poo.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

dflanny posted:

Beaten Max Payne again. I realize now why I put it on God mode for the last section of the game all those years ago. It turns into a total quicksave fest, where every enemy can kill you in a millisecond. Thankfully, I managed to beat it without cheating this time. One of the reasons I like Max Payne 2 so much more is that it's a smoother experience all the way through, It doesn't resort to any of that bullshit.

Also, I decided to google Sam Lake, as not only did he write Max Payne's script, he also provided his likeness:

Dude

Oh, he wrote Alan Wake? Gotta get that game now!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Progress report:

Beat Puzzle Quest. Been playing this on and off since I bought it during Christmas 2010. It only took 37 hours to find every quest, capture every monster, capture a bunch of cities, and finally finish the game. I could have spent even more time training mounts and learning the harder spells, but gently caress that, I'm completely burned out as is.

Beat Bastion. Got both endings by doing a new game plus and got most achievements, too. I'll probably mark it completed when I get a couple more of the idols achievements and maybe the score attack one. Pretty awesome game.

Beat Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath. Finished the campaign and it was a blast. There's a risk-like game mode called Global Conquest, which I didn't bother with at the moment, but seemed interesting.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN - Inferno+ : Blazed through the 30+ levels, pretty fun, the New Game+ feature makes the next game crazy though.

Currently playing Freedom Force, which seems the get harder each time I play it, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, as its latest update makes the game much more manageable, and Civilization 5, which is so easier to access compared to the older Civ games.

NULLED LIST :

Ballistic - No campaign, just a scoreboard.

Brainpipe - A Plunge to Unhumanity - Collecting pieces while flying through a portal, no real point to it, plus it gives me a small migraine.

Slydris - Similar to Tetris, only you drag the coloured shapes across to complete a line.

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space - Top-down space exploration, not too bad, confusing combat system, though Starscape seems to do it better.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Took a break from La-Mulana to start, and finish, Defender's Quest. A fun little tower defence game overall, with a decent story and lots of replayability - each map basically has six difficulty levels, each with their own rewards.

Unlike most TD games, upgrades to your "towers" (actually troops) persist across maps, meaning the same weak berserkers and archers you start with will be asskicking engines by the final battle. And unlike - say - Revenge of the Titans, resources you earn from replaying earlier maps (ideally on higher difficulty levels) accumulate, so you can't end up in a situation where you've spent your resources on the wrong thing and have to backtrack and replay most of the game.

As for La-Mulana, I've almost finished it, but the last few bosses are colossal douchebags and I'm honestly not sure I'll actually finish it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Finised Gratuitous Space Battles and Just Cause 2, finally. Well, beaten, at least.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finished Might & Magic 7. Very good game, definitely better pacing and balance than 6. I also liked that the evil path felt evil, between the promotion quests (kidnapping a damsel for the Villain promotion, having my Sorceror actually become a loving lich, etc) and the fact that the overall evil ending had a "Yep, I just hosed the world" feel to it. Good stuff.

I need to take a break before starting either World of Xeen or MM8, though. Good thing the Binding of Isaac expansion just came out!

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Finished Max Payne 2. Now I'm all ready for Max Payne 3 to release on PC.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Even the smallest victories are worth celebrating.

BEATEN: LaserCat - Took about 2 hours when I went hunting for the last few keys, kind of like a more forgiving version of VVVVVV.

Currently playing some of the other games I got from the Indie Royale Graduation Bundle, such as 1000 Amps and The Void.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Resisted the urge to buy Civ 5 when it was on sale, but ended up grabbing the Binding of Issac DLC. That should keep me occupied for a while, at least.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Well, I'm trying to burn through some of my backlog before the summer sale.

Beaten: Gemini Rue. Had to use a walkthrough in several places because of how pixelated the game is, and that was annoying. Very atmospheric though.

Beaten: Jolly Rover. I liked this more than the aforemention, kill me now. It's very British and casual, so it felt like I was watching a cartoon. Fun game.

Beaten: Titan Attacks. Awesome, if short space invaders clone. No challenge at all though.

Now onto Hard Reset. Might as well be named Shoot Many Robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Man, this really is a day for small victories.

BEATEN: Windosill - Was plaguing me a tiny bit on on level, but I breezed through it... Ok thats a game related pun!

Playing Braid and Machinarium at the moment, really getting punished by some of their puzzles.