Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Police Automaton posted:

To be fair I don't think radiation wouldn't be an issue anymore after so many years. Didn't the survivalist in HH talk about radiation in his early entries though? I don't remember.

He does, he describes how his survival training lets him survive. Moisture from the back of the cave and such. I don't know if Zion got hit directly, it's possible - something caused that bus full of Scouts to crash off the bridge - but he notes the irradiated environment and rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Whoops, I actually meant "to be fair radiation WOULDN'T be an issue anymore". It's the same like vaults sitting completly untouched about 10 minutes walking distance from human settlements, like in over 200 years nobody ever would've gotten the idea to check these places out. (and loot them empty) I could imagine a place like the Sierra Madre by chance never having any visitors, but a place like H&H Tools? Ah well. Against something that's hard to do better with the map scale and "walk everywhere in realtime!" thing.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Dush posted:

He does, he describes how his survival training lets him survive. Moisture from the back of the cave and such. I don't know if Zion got hit directly, it's possible - something caused that bus full of Scouts to crash off the bridge - but he notes the irradiated environment and rain.

If I recall correctly, Zion was not hit, but nuclear winter and fallout riding the wind caused the area to be temporarily irradiated.

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door

CommanderCoffee posted:

If I recall correctly, Zion was not hit, but nuclear winter and fallout riding the wind caused the area to be temporarily irradiated.

Seems legit to me.

Also, Burned man reloading infinite pile of gun and putting them into another singular gun. Not complaining, but I found it hilarious for some reason.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's kind of the point, though - it is, I imagine, supposed to be unsettling. It's forcing the player to analyse the non-direct repercussions of the PC's actions, it's just the ones chosen happen to be from before the start of the game. Tack on the stuff about whether you can be responsible if you don't remember it and it's a straight up rerun of the themes of Torment and KOTOR2.

That's my problem with it, really--I don't feel any attachment to the PC's actions before the game because before the game he wasn't the PC. Obviously in the canon of the game he's the same guy, but my attachment to the character has been predicated on the adventures I've been having through him because that's the only interaction I've had with him. That's why I really enjoyed this precise same plot element in PS:T and KOTOR2: a huge part of both games was the attempt to figure out why TNO/the Exile was an amnesiac, what happened to bring them to that point, why they are the way they are and what that means for the world at large, so when you finally uncover said secrets it has a massive impact. NV doesn't really do anything similar with the Courier until Lonesome Road; the plot is never really concerned with regaining your memory or recovering your past, your only real attachment to it is "there's this guy who shot me and I'd kind of like to find him/ask him what the gently caress/feed him bullets" depending on your druthers. It wasn't unsettling to me in a "this is taking me out of my comfort zone" way so much as a "this feels incongruous with the rest of the game" way.

Jerusalem posted:

moral ambiguity and constructing your own ethical perspective

I very much appreciated that you had the option to take the 'I don't remember it and am not that guy' option with Ulysses given that it was how I felt about the whole thing, but that ended up making it feel very anticlimactic to me--every DLC had been pumping up Lonesome Road as the big huge conclusion to your story, so the most appropriate response for me being summed up as 'sorry, dude, don't remember, do-over?' felt like something of a letdown. Which is being a lot more jocular with the gravity of what they were trying to get across than it objectively deserves, admittedly, but that's just how I ended up feeling about it at the time. As a narrative, literary concept I think it works, but I get really into Fallout's storytelling-by-experience methods, so suddenly breaking that immersion to have a tell-don't-show story just never hooked me, and consequently I didn't care about the moral dilemma very much.

That's probably a more accurate summation of the issue. I like the idea of Lonesome Road as a story, but as a part of NV it didn't fit with the experience I'd had with the rest of the game and that hurt my ability to enjoy what it was. (This is also why I hated Operation Anchorage.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lake Mead is also not irradiated.

Most water that's irradiated is coming from buildings and such. Rivers and lakes and poo poo are usually safe unless you are Fallout 3, because Fallout 3 was dumb like that.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I didn't find Lonesome Road that bad because what Ulysses describes is basically a Fetch Quest that turns out to have huge effects on the community where it happened, and what's more Fallout than that? The Courier legit doesn't remember it because he or she does so much poo poo like that already, So the player not being attached to it makes sense. For the Courier, it was Tuesday.

And that really gets to the heart of what the Courier is. You go around the wasteland doing odd jobs and being this agent of powers that are greater than yourself. You do a lot of things, a lot of which aren't memorable, but they turn out to change the course of the war and of the history of the whole Southwest.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

DemonNick posted:

I didn't find Lonesome Road that bad because what Ulysses describes is basically a Fetch Quest that turns out to have huge effects on the community where it happened, and what's more Fallout than that? The Courier legit doesn't remember it because he or she does so much poo poo like that already, So the player not being attached to it makes sense. For the Courier, it was Tuesday.

And that really gets to the heart of what the Courier is. You go around the wasteland doing odd jobs and being this agent of powers that are greater than yourself. You do a lot of things, a lot of which aren't memorable, but they turn out to change the course of the war and of the history of the whole Southwest.

That was why the idea of having the past I wasn't a part of creating/experiencing didn't bother me so much in Lonesome Road, because it wasn't like it was a huge Nameless One history of stuff you did. You delivered a package, and to you that's all it was to you; Ulysses is the one who fills that act with meaning, and it's a meaning you can take or leave because it only has as much substance as you ultimately want it to have. I would have found it much more bothersome if the Courier had been some kind of military general or assassin or a second Caesar or something like that and you only found it out in Lonesome Road, but you're a Courier; it's not out of line to think that you may have once delivered something.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Anyone who hasn't done a proper BoS/Energy Weapons playthough needs to try it just for the Tesla Cannon. Marching into the Tops and exploding Benny into meaty giblets with that giant fuckoff laser cannon is as satisfying as it gets

Police Automaton posted:

Whoops, I actually meant "to be fair radiation WOULDN'T be an issue anymore". It's the same like vaults sitting completly untouched about 10 minutes walking distance from human settlements, like in over 200 years nobody ever would've gotten the idea to check these places out. (and loot them empty) I could imagine a place like the Sierra Madre by chance never having any visitors, but a place like H&H Tools? Ah well. Against something that's hard to do better with the map scale and "walk everywhere in realtime!" thing.

Crandon actually warns you about H&H being a deathtrap, and explains that he's tired of the stench of dead prospectors drifting into northside

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Police Automaton posted:

I could imagine a place like the Sierra Madre by chance never having any visitors, but a place like H&H Tools?
What makes you think H&H hasn't been picked clean? I didn't see a single drat nail in that dump, much less one of those kick-rear end nail guns.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Random sidenote, but the thing I liked about H&H Tools was that House's brother was slowly going insane with paranoia over the fear that House was taking over his business. And in the end, he was totally right. House is such a ruthless businessman he drove his own brother's company into the ground and drove him insane because gently caress you, RobCo supremacy :allears:

I kinda would've liked to see the 'Lucky 38 Executive Override' thing actually make it into the game, though. It would give you a reason to actually visit some locations that you can otherwise basically ignore.

CaptainRat posted:

That was why the idea of having the past I wasn't a part of creating/experiencing didn't bother me so much in Lonesome Road, because it wasn't like it was a huge Nameless One history of stuff you did. You delivered a package, and to you that's all it was to you; Ulysses is the one who fills that act with meaning, and it's a meaning you can take or leave because it only has as much substance as you ultimately want it to have. I would have found it much more bothersome if the Courier had been some kind of military general or assassin or a second Caesar or something like that and you only found it out in Lonesome Road, but you're a Courier; it's not out of line to think that you may have once delivered something.

Yeah, I don't think it was supposed to be a 'own up to your dark past' thing like KOTOR2 or Planescape. In some interview Avellone specifically talks about how it was supposed to be this trivial thing you did, basically just a random stop on your courier job. The fact that this unintentionally contributes to both the Divide flourishing and then it's subsequent total destruction is more a commentary on how minor actions can have enormous unforeseen consequences, not really a condemnation (well, from Ulysses it is, but dude's loving nuts).

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 20, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

CarlCX posted:

I very much appreciated that you had the option to take the 'I don't remember it and am not that guy' option with Ulysses given that it was how I felt about the whole thing, but that ended up making it feel very anticlimactic to me--every DLC had been pumping up Lonesome Road as the big huge conclusion to your story, so the most appropriate response for me being summed up as 'sorry, dude, don't remember, do-over?' felt like something of a letdown. Which is being a lot more jocular with the gravity of what they were trying to get across than it objectively deserves, admittedly, but that's just how I ended up feeling about it at the time. As a narrative, literary concept I think it works, but I get really into Fallout's storytelling-by-experience methods, so suddenly breaking that immersion to have a tell-don't-show story just never hooked me, and consequently I didn't care about the moral dilemma very much.

That's probably a more accurate summation of the issue. I like the idea of Lonesome Road as a story, but as a part of NV it didn't fit with the experience I'd had with the rest of the game and that hurt my ability to enjoy what it was. (This is also why I hated Operation Anchorage.)

I remember a goon way back before Lonesome Road got released had it on his wishlist for Wild Wasteland to trigger an encounter with Ulysses that basically went;

Ulysses : "Hey, you got my :10bux: finally?"

Courier : "Yeah, here you go."

Ulysses : "Thanks. Seeya."

*Roll DLC credits*

I liked the idea that Ulysses could be in the wrong and vastly overstating just how different and unique The Divide Survivalist Community was. To him, after seeing so much Legion and NCR civilization, something refreshing like a tiny independent town of settlers who borrowed the drapings of pre-war America a lot more than other nearby communities may have been impressive and something he'd want to join, but for the rest of the Mojave Wasteland they could've been seen as just another Goodsprings, only sitting on a valuable trade route.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 20, 2012

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Random sidenote, but the thing I liked about H&H Tools was that House's brother was slowly going insane with paranoia over the fear that House was taking over his business. And in the end, he was totally right. House is such a ruthless businessman he drove his own brother's company into the ground and drove him insane because gently caress you, RobCo supremacy :allears:

You're leaving out the part where Anthony House managed to weasel himself the entire family inheritance after their parents died. I'd be a little paranoid too if I stabbed my little brother in the back and he wound up with the ability to buy and sell me at a whim. :allears:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just finished a run through NV plus all the DLCs and I'm wanting to give FO3 another shot (I gave up after having a bunch of problems with Games for Windows Live eating my save games halfway through the game twice in a row).

It looks like it's now possible to play FO3 without GfWL by using something called the Fallout Script Extender or by using a GfWL remover mod from the nexus. Do both of these work and does it matter which one I use? I'm not planning on running any other mods since I've never actually completed the game and I like to complete at least one run through to completion unmodded.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Decided to get some good mods for more perks and stuff and do a semi-pacifist run.

Focus on barter, speech, science, and some repair on the side.

Avoid killing humans as much as possible and only if they shoot first.

Going well, actually went with the Gifted and Fear the Reaper traits, Fear the Reaper being from a mod. I get the bonus SPECIAL from gifted but with reduced HP instead of a perk every 3 levels.

Any advice on how to go about this? Which faction would be most compatible with this type of run?

Edit
By less hp I mean I might as well be tissue paper. Level 5, 85 hp.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was supposed to be a 'own up to your dark past' thing like KOTOR2 or Planescape. In some interview Avellone specifically talks about how it was supposed to be this trivial thing you did, basically just a random stop on your courier job. The fact that this unintentionally contributes to both the Divide flourishing and then it's subsequent total destruction is more a commentary on how minor actions can have enormous unforeseen consequences, not really a condemnation (well, from Ulysses it is, but dude's loving nuts).

KOTOR2 has a hell of a lot of incidental stuff being pegged on you as well. Torment not so much, but basically all Atris does in KOTOR2 is blame you for things you didn't intend.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

MrL_JaKiri posted:

KOTOR2 has a hell of a lot of incidental stuff being pegged on you as well. Torment not so much, but basically all Atris does in KOTOR2 is blame you for things you didn't intend.

Atris did like to hang out in a room full of evil talking glowboxes, though. She's a fairly good analogy to Ulysses - someone clearly damaged psychologically who blames you relentlessly for things you couldn't have possibly forseen, and in both cases if you play your cards right you can show them their error.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The big difference though is that Ulysses isn't totally unlikable

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Oh god I'm only lvl 12 and I keep getting attacked by squads of legion assasins every 5 minutes, as much as I like free super sledges, they're pretty tough and utter bullet sponges.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hitler wasn't totally unlikable. Somebody liked him.
Ulysses is mostly unlikable.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Pound_Coin posted:

Oh god I'm only lvl 12 and I keep getting attacked by squads of legion assasins every 5 minutes, as much as I like free super sledges, they're pretty tough and utter bullet sponges.

Yeah, if you get hit squads on you in the early game it's rough. They have fairly high DT and health, so it's really difficult to do any kind of meaningful damage to them. Get Boone asap.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

My last foray into HH was with the TA mod and bow howdy the introduction event was quite a challenge. Full automatic fire came raining down the cliffside, I begin to respond, but the sounds of rapid explosions catches me off guard. The female merc had a automatic grenade launcher, firing full bore up into the hills, taking out the initial assault of white legs. She was doing alright all things considered, until she was mashed into a pulp by white leg reinforcements with barret .50's. This set the tone for the rest of the DLC as I struggled with tribals wielding assault or anti-material weaponry, surprise giant cazadors out of nowhere or angry bears. Welcome to Zion indeed.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Dush posted:

Yeah, if you get hit squads on you in the early game it's rough. They have fairly high DT and health, so it's really difficult to do any kind of meaningful damage to them. Get Boone asap.

If you're a melee character, the Rippers a number of the hit squads carry can make a passable weapon for use against them, given they bypass DR/DT. A couple of them even carry Thermic Lances, which are viable for the same reason. If you're not melee-focused, though, I'd say a companion or two, combined with running back to a safe distance when they close the gap on you, would be your best bet. And yes, Boone is pretty much ideal for this. (Provided you have suitable parts to repair him without the high - for that point in the game, at least - skill checks, ED-E is also an excellent defense against them.)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pound_Coin posted:

Unless you're running some weird mods, you can prevent this by wearing a disguise. NCR, Legion, Powder Ganger, it doesn't matter, they all reset your faction rep to neutral, causing assassins not to spawn, you just have to be wary of , you know, having a Powder Ganger disguise on when you go hang around NCR soldiers. They also will never attack you in a town, but they will beeline for you once you leave a town.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wolfsheim posted:

I kinda would've liked to see the 'Lucky 38 Executive Override' thing actually make it into the game, though. It would give you a reason to actually visit some locations that you can otherwise basically ignore.

I thought it was though? Or do you mean more than just "here's a password for House's Terminal to his real body".

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Running into assasins early on is always great. The first warning for me is usually a hail of 9mm smg fire impacting everywhere. A few frantic seconds trying to figure out what direction its coming from, and then most likley running. lots of running. On the plus side if you do manage to take them out, its pretty good loot. Enough 9mms to repair the one from doc mitchell's house to near perfect, which under lvl 10 is a fine rear end weapon imo.

I'm doing HH right now for a 2nd time. I never found the survivalist's final entries or his body. While crawling one of his caves the female companion grabbed a survivalist's rifle from nowhere. I noticed her packing it and took that poo poo quick.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

I thought it was though? Or do you mean more than just "here's a password for House's Terminal to his real body".

Nay, there's three Lucky 38 Executive Override terminals at H&H Tools, New Vegas Steel and Camp Golf that have no function, but apparently were originally used during that quest where you help that Followers chick bugged House's network. You had to access all three before you could plant the bug (which House disables in seconds all the same, I believe).

This is probably why that quest as it is now, despite only taking like 30 seconds to complete, still gives you like 500 XP.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

It would have made for a terrible plotless fetch quest that the quest designers explicitly tried to avoid, so I'm glad that was cut as it was.

If House's family history was examined further and related to those terminals it probably would have made it in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wolfsheim posted:

You had to access all three before you could plant the bug (which House disables in seconds all the same, I believe).

He does - hell, if you tell him about the Followers' plan he finds it funny and tells you to go ahead and plant the bug anyway, he wants to prove a point to them. :haw:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It would have made for a terrible plotless fetch quest that the quest designers explicitly tried to avoid, so I'm glad that was cut as it was.

If House's family history was examined further and related to those terminals it probably would have made it in.

It kinda does, though. H&H Tools has the little side story about House taking over his brother's company/driving him insane, Camp Golf is named after him and has that portrait of him standing in front of Liberty Prime (or a similar giant robot), and New Vegas Steel has...okay I don't know because I've never had any reason to go there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Golf is NATO for G.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So I thought I'd finally get around to finishing New Vegas, but the main story line seems have tapered off into nothing. I exploded Mr. House and installed Yes Man onto his computer, but now the only quests (aside from side quests) are two messages that say that if I keep working with either the NCR or Caesars Legion, the other will be angry at me. What am I supposed to do now?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

3 Tablets Daily posted:

So I thought I'd finally get around to finishing New Vegas, but the main story line seems have tapered off into nothing. I exploded Mr. House and installed Yes Man onto his computer, but now the only quests (aside from side quests) are two messages that say that if I keep working with either the NCR or Caesars Legion, the other will be angry at me. What am I supposed to do now?
Talk to Yes Man.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pope Guilty posted:

Golf is NATO for G.

But it's based in what used to be the "House resort".

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pound_Coin posted:

This keeps happening to me too but I'm fortunate enough to see them first each time. I usually rip a few heads off before they can close very much ground, thank god for Paciencia.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fennesz posted:

This keeps happening to me too but I'm fortunate enough to see them first each time. I usually rip a few heads off before they can close very much ground, thank god for Paciencia.

Paciencia around level 12?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I encountered a strange "bug" I guess in a main quest line. I've been told by Yes Man to check out the Brotherhood, but when I arrive at their bunker it's already been collapsed/exploded. I haven't had any contact with the Brotherhood on this character, can the bunker be destroyed by "outside forces" or something?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Maguro posted:

I encountered a strange "bug" I guess in a main quest line. I've been told by Yes Man to check out the Brotherhood, but when I arrive at their bunker it's already been collapsed/exploded. I haven't had any contact with the Brotherhood on this character, can the bunker be destroyed by "outside forces" or something?

There's more than one bunker in Hidden Valley, keep looking.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Rinkles posted:

Paciencia around level 12?
Cliff Briscoe sells it in Novac. It's really not hard to collect the 10-15k required to buy it at that point. Playing caravan in Novac alone can net you close to 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Dush posted:

There's more than one bunker in Hidden Valley, keep looking.

Ah, I considered that might be the case, I just wish the quest arrow didn't point me right to that one ahaha.