Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

RazorBunny posted:

I wonder if maybe you should just save up more carcasses, and increase the amount of material you're putting in the pot. Or...Maybe it's a temperature thing? I always let mine come up to just under a boil for most of its simmer time, maybe you're simmering at a lower temperature and the collagen doesn't melt out of the bones or something.

I assume more bones are necessary- more collagen in the pot means more gelatin... mmmmmm stock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought some dried black-eyed peas (black-eyed beans? The internet seems to use the two terms interchangeable) and would like some recipes to use them. They're not a common ingredient in my part of the world so I've never used them before.

I know that I don't have to soak them before I cook them and that I should boil them for about an hour? Is it best just to boil them in water or should I use stock or some kind of flavour? Once they're rehydrated what's a good way to serve them?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I didn't know about this whole sauce breaking concept, I don't cook much with dairy.

It can happen with any emulsion where basically the suspended components clump together and the fat and water separates. Like melted butter or a broken hollandaise, or what you encountered. Excess heat tends to cause it. Some ingredients, like cheddar, are really prone to breaking. If you've ever tried to melt cheddar cheese in the microwave oven, you've seen it happen. So a cheddar cheese sauce without extra help will break and get grainy and greasy.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Yehudis Basya posted:

I assume more bones are necessary- more collagen in the pot means more gelatin... mmmmmm stock...

Buy some cheap wings at the store and include them, that'll do the trick. Or if you have an Asian (or other ethnic) market and aren't afraid of anatomy, chicken feet are super cheap and also filled with jello-inducing goodness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So a cheddar cheese sauce without extra help will break and get grainy and greasy.

That's exactly what happened, interesting. I'll just try no oven next time and see if that does the trick.

Is there anything I could do when I reheat it to try to fix things? It's not inedible but not what I dreamed of for my first mac and cheese in a couple of years. My precious cheese. :negative:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lullabee posted:

I picked up some asparagus this weekend and I want to make it to go with dinner tonight. The recipe I have is just simple olive oil, garlic, basil, S&P and lemon juice, roasted in the oven. Is this the best way to cook them? I just want to make sure. This is the first time I'm cooking them.
Yeah roasting with just a little oil and salt and pepper is good in general for hardy greens (as opposed to leafy greens).

That said, favourite thing to do with asparagus is to slice it into roughly bite-sized pieces (bias cut to make it look all snooty) and steam it until it just starts brightening up. While that's going on, sauté some mushrooms sliced or chopped a little thick (about as thick as the asparagus is around) in some butter. King oyster mushrooms are perfect, others will work as well. Just cook them until they're tender and just are taking some colour. Then just throw the asparagus in with them, turn the heat off, and throw some (real) balsamic vinegar in the hot pan and just let the carryover heat reduce it a little while you're tossing things around. Adjust as usual with some salt and pepper.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

cyberia posted:

I bought some dried black-eyed peas (black-eyed beans? The internet seems to use the two terms interchangeable) and would like some recipes to use them. They're not a common ingredient in my part of the world so I've never used them before.

I know that I don't have to soak them before I cook them and that I should boil them for about an hour? Is it best just to boil them in water or should I use stock or some kind of flavour? Once they're rehydrated what's a good way to serve them?

For a super classic dish, just boil them with a ham shank or a big ham bone with a bunch of meat still on it. Then cook up some collard greens and cornbread.

gently caress that sounds good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

um yeah, the broth is the best part of mussels. Seriously, I'd almost go so far as to say gently caress the mussels themselves and just give me a pot of musselbroth and a heel of sourdough. But that would be wasteful.

I just made some mussels last night, you can do the super cheating way like I did:

.75 - 1 stick butter
one onion
4 cloves garlic
4-8oz *INSERT FAVORITE CURED PORK PRODUCT HERE*
(if FAVORITE CURED PORK PRODUCT is not spicy, add in some crushed red pepper or similar)
2# mussels
4-8oz beer, white wine, etc
1 container of whatever from your local supermarket olive bar (I like bruschetta)
s&p
if you want something "healthy" any light greens (kale, beet, spinach, even arugula)
TOASTY BREAD

1. Cook onions, garlic, 1/2 the butter, and FAVORITE CURED PORK PRODUCT til soft and yummy.
2. toss in mussels, cook for a minute or so
3. Add your booze, cover until they're 90% all open
4. Add your olive bar whatever and the rest of the butter, cover again
5. Turn off the heat, toss in the greens, cover again and go set the table.
6. Come back, give one final toss and seasoning, eat with TOASTY BREAD

When we ate this ate home, we just had the rondeau we cooked in, a bowl for empties, and spoons.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

It's the actual raw liver, not pate.

Yeah, I didn't want to do anything overly elaborate with it. I was thinking of just searing off slices and serving them on grilled bread with some caramelized apples or something.

Edit: Didn't read through the whole post carefully enough, it seems.

I've cooked a fair amount of foie at the restaurant, and this video (and trust me, I looked at MANY) is the truest to what I learned and what I think ultimately is the best way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWHUi9fdBs

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

I've cooked a fair amount of foie at the restaurant, and this video (and trust me, I looked at MANY) is the truest to what I learned and what I think ultimately is the best way.

Great, thanks! Looks simple enough: half a minute or so per side in the hottest stainless steel pan I can muster. Just finished up some caramelized apples, so it looks like I've got tomorrow's dinner in the bag.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

Great, thanks! Looks simple enough: half a minute or so per side in the hottest stainless steel pan I can muster. Just finished up some caramelized apples, so it looks like I've got tomorrow's dinner in the bag.

Yep! I learned the "three Cs": crispy, creamy, and cold. As long as you slice between like 1/4 and 1/2 inch you can sear it without having to worry about it being "done" in the middle. Foie seems to go with whatever you would pair with either pork belly (I said to my chef that almost anything you've done with foie you could with pork belly) or honestly a cheese plate -- bread, fruit, and nuts. Take pics!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

SubG posted:

Yeah roasting with just a little oil and salt and pepper is good in general for hardy greens (as opposed to leafy greens).

That said, favourite thing to do with asparagus is to slice it into roughly bite-sized pieces (bias cut to make it look all snooty) and steam it until it just starts brightening up. While that's going on, sauté some mushrooms sliced or chopped a little thick (about as thick as the asparagus is around) in some butter. King oyster mushrooms are perfect, others will work as well. Just cook them until they're tender and just are taking some colour. Then just throw the asparagus in with them, turn the heat off, and throw some (real) balsamic vinegar in the hot pan and just let the carryover heat reduce it a little while you're tossing things around. Adjust as usual with some salt and pepper.

If it's larger asparagus you might want to blanch the asparagus in salted boiling water for maybe 45s (1c kosher per gallon) and then shock in ice water -- you can leave it in the bunch.

If it's like needle-dick asparagus you don't even need to bother. I like my asparagus grilled or in risotto cut up into little coins.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

That's exactly what happened, interesting. I'll just try no oven next time and see if that does the trick.

Is there anything I could do when I reheat it to try to fix things? It's not inedible but not what I dreamed of for my first mac and cheese in a couple of years. My precious cheese. :negative:

Someone may correct me, but I'm pretty sure once your cheese sauce is broken, it's broken for good. Some emulsions can be re-emulsified, like hollandaise and mayonnaise. But the way the proteins clump in cheese would probably make it tough.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I haven't tried to oven-bake the cheese-evapmilk-cornstarch method, but you can microwave it without it breaking, so it wouldn't surprise me if it held up well to being baked.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Am I right in thinking this is proper Sichuanese chili bean paste? I've only got stuff made with...soy beans...in my fridge and I found this and promptly bought it, since I know the ingredient in question is transliterated as dou ban jiang, and Pixian is a city in Sichuan. Did I err or did I hit the jackpot?

Ingredients are chilies, broad beans, salt, and flour.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fatherdog posted:

I haven't tried to oven-bake the cheese-evapmilk-cornstarch method, but you can microwave it without it breaking, so it wouldn't surprise me if it held up well to being baked.

So that's why mac and cheese gets weird when you microwave it the next day. :aaaaa: I am seriously learning more from this than I have in months. My roux experience is just in gumbo, which is a whole different thing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I picked up some asparagus this weekend and I want to make it to go with dinner tonight. The recipe I have is just simple olive oil, garlic, basil, S&P and lemon juice, roasted in the oven. Is this the best way to cook them? I just want to make sure. This is the first time I'm cooking them.

there are lots of good things to do with asparagus, but my favorites are roasting at high temp, or grilling it. I love any dark green veg with some char on it.

Asparagus goes really well with cured pork products, balsamic glaze, or a thick roasted garlic aioli

edit: for your method: consider blanching as mentioned above, if your asparagus are much thicker than a sharpie pen. Also idk what your recipe says to do but I would [blanch/not blanch] toss in oil and salt and roast, then after roasting toss the hot asparagus in a bowl with chopped basil and lemon juice and a little more olive oil and slivered garlic. Charred garlic can be pretty unpleasant.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 22, 2012

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Turkeybone posted:

Haha, "simple American burger"...

*whips out a brioche bun, tops with foie gras*

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So hey, goons with spoons, what is the single most awesome thing I can do with the beef short ribs I'm thawing out right now? I have a crock pot and a cast iron Dutch oven that would work for braising, and my smoker is clean and ready to go for smoking. My charcoal grill is out, it didn't get cleaned at the end of last grilling season and probably should be replaced due to rust and such, but I could do a pan sear indoors. I know there are multiple prep methods for short ribs, but I haven't made them myself so far.

I'm hoping to serve these for dinner tonight. I'm working from home all day today, so anything that might need periodic checking or whatever is fine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rub them down and slow smoke them over mesquite all day long, if you have any mesquite. Then make sure you have some spicy sauce for serving.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I do have some mesquite! That sounds like a good option.

Maybe I'll put a pan of beans in underneath them to soak up the drippings, it's been a while since I've done that.

I usually do my rubs overnight, will it be okay if I just rub them now and let them sit until the smoker is hot?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I've come across some purple kale from a local farmers market, and I have never used kale before. How can I cook this stuff? Is it OK raw in a salad, should I cook it? saute? stir fry?

I want to like this stuff because I know its high in nutritional content, so help me...get this, in...me. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

I do have some mesquite! That sounds like a good option.

Maybe I'll put a pan of beans in underneath them to soak up the drippings, it's been a while since I've done that.

I usually do my rubs overnight, will it be okay if I just rub them now and let them sit until the smoker is hot?

Sure, it will be fine.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Please tell me how to make perfect sushi rice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Please tell me how to make perfect sushi rice.

Use short grain rice. Rinse the rice until water runs clear, about 5 changes. Drain and air dry the rice in colander for 30 min. Cook rice with slightly less water than usual. When finished, transfer to a steep sided wide area bowl. Sprinkle sushi su over the top evenly distributing across the rice. "cut" the vinegar into the rice with a shallow sweeping motion using a rice paddle held at an acute angle with respect to the bottom of the bowl. Do not stir, do not mash. If possible fan the rice as it is cut. Allow to sit for five minutes then flip the rice over in small chunks in the bowl. Repeat cutting and fanning. Cool to body temperature then serve.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 22, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sure, it will be fine.

I gave it a good massage with some garlic powder, paprika, and salt and let it sit for an hour before putting it in. Smoker's at 215. I can't wait, this sounds fantastic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Post a delicious picture when it's done.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm picking up 6 lbs of pork belly from the butcher tonight. I'm going to do half sweet and half savory bacon cure. If it has the skin on, I assume I need to remove it before curing, yes? Is there any kind of trick to it? What's the best thing to do with the skin?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Depending on how much fat layer there is between the skin and the meat, as well as how much fat you want on the bacon itself, the best thing to do is to cut off the skin with a nice layer of fat, cut it into bits, and then deep fry for the tastiest snack on earth.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I've no deep fryer. Render the lard and fry the skin in it instead?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I've come across some purple kale from a local farmers market, and I have never used kale before. How can I cook this stuff? Is it OK raw in a salad, should I cook it? saute? stir fry?

I want to like this stuff because I know its high in nutritional content, so help me...get this, in...me. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Kale salads show up on a lot of restaurant menus these days, so you'd probably be fine doing it that way if you like. Cut out the central rib of each leaf, then slice into narrow strips. Serve with some kind of vinaigrette, the acidity will work well with the bitterness of the greens.

I usually saute my kale. Ideally, start with some form of pork fat - salt pork or bacon is best. Render the fat out, then toss in some minced onion, shallot, and/or garlic. When the onion becomes translucent, toss in the kale. Use about 3x what you think you needs. It loses about 80% of its volume while cooking. Stir occasionally and just let it melt down until it's tender. This is basically the default treatment of any cookable leafy green in my kitchen, and it's always good.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Sausage, lentil, and kale soup is phenomenal. Something like this http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/01/lentil-stew-with-italian-sausage-and.html

I prefer a banger or some kind of sausage that uses wheat based fillers to change the texture to be more, well, springy? Other than that, the only change I'd make to the recipe linked is to use the sausage fat to saute off the aromatics.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Phummus posted:

I've no deep fryer. Render the lard and fry the skin in it instead?

You can try that, though make sure you leave a layer of fat on the skin for the finished texture to be right. And really, rather than waste the lard from your belly, use tub lard instead if you have anything that's good (that is, not Farmer John etc.) If there's a carniceria around, they'll usually sell little tubs of lard that they render in store.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I just realized that any time I make dinner, it’s with stuff I bought ad hoc. I go to the store and get something from the meat counter to heat up, or I grab stuff to make spaghetti or enchiladas or whatever. I both don’t know how to just assemble stuff, nor do I have lots of easily assembled stuff. What should any self-respecting cook always keep a supply of in his kitchen? The list I came up with off the cuff was:

* Rice
* Pasta
* Onions
* Garlic
* Eggs?
* Oils and spices

What about meat and vegetables? Always have a plan, or just keep a certain stock of it around in case I decide, hm, tonight we'll cook that chicken in this way? I've never kept meat around, and I'm worried I'd end up wasting even more food than I already do.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You can continue buying meat ad hoc if you want, I kind of do something similar. Though I usually buy in bulk and freeze portions so all I have to do is pull a steak out from the fridge then use whatever veggies I have on hand.

Cooking is pretty ad hoc if you're doing it right, tbh.

I'd probably add bacon onto that list (it lasts forever) and pretty much anything else that last forever. Flour and/or corn starch is also something good to have handy, as you can thicken sauces.

My list of always having on hand is:
* Garlic
* Onions
* Heavy Cream
* Butter
* Eggs
* Bacon
* Oils and Spices (including lard in the 'oils')
* Flour

Adding to that I always have a couple bags of frozen veggies to nuke when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy. Frozen veggies are pretty good, even if you go for the budget brand.

You can always switch up what the Onion is, white, red or green.

I like having soy sauce, vinegars and sesame oil on hand too. Mustard is handy if you use it in things.

I rarely plan meals, unless I'm struck by inspiration at the grocery store and buy the pieces there. Nine times out of ten I just need a couple of things (Often its white wine for pan sauces) because everything else I'd need on hand.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Golbez posted:

I just realized that any time I make dinner, it’s with stuff I bought ad hoc. I go to the store and get something from the meat counter to heat up, or I grab stuff to make spaghetti or enchiladas or whatever. I both don’t know how to just assemble stuff, nor do I have lots of easily assembled stuff. What should any self-respecting cook always keep a supply of in his kitchen? The list I came up with off the cuff was:

* Rice
* Pasta
* Onions
* Garlic
* Eggs?
* Oils and spices

What about meat and vegetables? Always have a plan, or just keep a certain stock of it around in case I decide, hm, tonight we'll cook that chicken in this way? I've never kept meat around, and I'm worried I'd end up wasting even more food than I already do.

I rarely have a meal plan when I go shopping. I just buy things that are in season and on sale and worry about adapting later. I think you just need to cook a lot and often to expand your creative horizons and better your culinary flexibility.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Frozen vegetables are one way to keep stuff on hand that won't go bad if you don't use it.

You might also try planning your meals out weekly, and doing all your shopping accordingly. The majority of fresh foods will last a week from when you bought them, and the ones that spoil more quickly can just be slotted for the first few days.

Personally I like to just buy whatever is fresh and looks yummy, and figure out what to do with it later, but I think that might be a little intimidating if you haven't had a lot of cooking experience.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bartolimu posted:

Kale salads show up on a lot of restaurant menus these days, so you'd probably be fine doing it that way if you like. Cut out the central rib of each leaf, then slice into narrow strips. Serve with some kind of vinaigrette, the acidity will work well with the bitterness of the greens.

I usually saute my kale. Ideally, start with some form of pork fat - salt pork or bacon is best. Render the fat out, then toss in some minced onion, shallot, and/or garlic. When the onion becomes translucent, toss in the kale. Use about 3x what you think you needs. It loses about 80% of its volume while cooking. Stir occasionally and just let it melt down until it's tender. This is basically the default treatment of any cookable leafy green in my kitchen, and it's always good.

So its pretty similar to spinach in its application then? Sounds good. Thanks for the tip on the rib down the center though, I probably would've forgotten that part.

The soup sounds delicious, wish I had more time and kitchen space to make soup....in a few weeks maybe

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Thanks y'all. Yeah, I'm still a cooking neophyte so I should probably do a lot more before I loose myself into the store and just pick stuff and THEN figure out how to cook it. :)

Jyrraeth posted:

You can always switch up what the Onion is, white, red or green.

Speaking of which: Is there a cliffs notes on the differences between white, red, and yellow onions? Which are good for what situations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how good it is, but home.woot.com has a 8" Chinese knife for $25 that costs $65 on Amazon.