Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Depends entirely on the company.

Surely you mean "entirely on the policy terms they are allowed to write in the state they are operating in".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No, I mean exactly that. The underwriting procedures of that particular insurance company are not in your policy. Your policy contract is what will and won't be covered, terms, and definitions. Your insurance company sets their own underwriting criteria.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^
Yes, but your state will determine the limits and legality of the wording.
Most contracts seem to have something unenforceable under state law. The state law will win.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I'd just like to let you guys know that a failing transmission range sensor in a 1996 Ford Taurus can present itself as an intermittently working radio and windshield wipers.
I'd say the influence of Jaguar on Ford in the 90s has been located.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

You Am I posted:

Why the gently caress did you do that for, other than trying out insurance fraud?

if it runs... who the gently caress wants to be stuck for 4 6 8+ hours waiting on a tow

Motronic posted:

Yes. You'll get dropped immediately, but they can't deny a claim for that. They can just decline to continue insuring you. (this is true in PA at least, it's possible that may not be the case in other states)

Not in VA.

I got t-boned in my Dad's truck when a driver ran a red light at 55mph.
Dad's insurance dropped him with the quickness and I had to pay the legal bills to sure the (already admitted) at fault driver and his insurance company.

Edit: I'm still scratching my head over this one too. They didn't even have to sue, the company offered a settlement for far more than I wound up getting after lawyers fees.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 17, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not in VA.

I got t-boned in my Dad's truck when a driver ran a red light at 55mph.
Dad's insurance dropped him with the quickness and I had to pay the legal bills to sure the (already admitted) at fault driver and his insurance company.

Edit: I'm still scratching my head over this one too. They didn't even have to sue, the company offered a settlement for far more than I wound up getting after lawyers fees.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what you're trying to say here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what you're trying to say here.

I got hit by a guy running a red light.

I was driving my father's truck.
My father's insurance dropped us without pursuing the matter further.

I had to go to rehab as a result of the accident.

Dad's truck was really hosed up.

The offender's insurance company offered a settlement that would have covered the cost of the truck and part of my rehab.

I had to sue them myself since my insurance company left us out to dry.

I won, for the total cost of repairs+rehab+legal fees, which was about $800 more than their original settlement offer. (Lawyers cost me about $3200)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Do you mean rehab as in drug rehab, or physical therapy?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Well, when you're muling coke in condoms in your belly and your truck gets T-boned outta nowhere, everything goes sideways pretty fast.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
How can you insert them so far that they make it into your belly?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I assumed you'd be swallowing them but I admire your gumption.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
All work and no play...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

obso posted:

If I didn't think the engine would rip my samurai in half I'd keep it.
Ah, go on. If someone can put a V8 in an LJ80, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Ah, go on. If someone can put a V8 in an LJ80, I'm sure it'll be fine.

You got the go ahead from the engineering department, so start tearing that engine out of the wreck.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DJ Commie posted:

Do you mean rehab as in drug rehab, or physical therapy?
physical therapy and whatnot.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got hit by a guy running a red light.

I was driving my father's truck.
My father's insurance dropped us without pursuing the matter further.

I had to go to rehab as a result of the accident.

Dad's truck was really hosed up.

The offender's insurance company offered a settlement that would have covered the cost of the truck and part of my rehab.

I had to sue them myself since my insurance company left us out to dry.

I won, for the total cost of repairs+rehab+legal fees, which was about $800 more than their original settlement offer. (Lawyers cost me about $3200)

If you won legal fees, then how did you end up with less than what the settlement offer was?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
wait hold up did I see something about obso talking about some engine ripping something apart?

didn't obso used to have a half-rust Z31 with an engine that was making >500tq or something

obviously, obso, your luck is fine, and a Samurai+V8 will work. until it rusts (enough.)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

obso posted:

Because it was less than a mile down the road. It was a single car accident and they only had liability so no one's getting defrauded. If I didn't think the engine would rip my samurai in half I'd keep it.

There IS a guy in Australia who wedged a Lexus 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 into a Suzuki Sierra (same as the Samurai) with Toyota Hilux Axles under it...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Method Loser posted:

obviously, obso, your luck is fine, and a Samurai+V8 will work. until it rusts (enough.)

Sure it works. Somebody's already made it their business: http://www.suzukiconversion.com/suzuki_v8.htm

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ferremit posted:

There IS a guy in Australia who wedged a Lexus 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 into a Suzuki Sierra (same as the Samurai) with Toyota Hilux Axles under it...

I assume he's currently in an all expenses paid government run mental health institution, right?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sponge! posted:

I assume he's currently in an all expenses paid government run mental health institution, right?

Depends on what your opinion of Summernats is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Insurance Chat!

MikeyTsi posted:

If you won legal fees, then how did you end up with less than what the settlement offer was?

They didn't pay my full legal fees, and I shouldn't say "I won" since we never actually went to court.
Our first lawyer sucked and tried to drag it out as long as possible, presumably to make himself more money. In the meantime we were out of pocket for everything.
So we fired him and got another lawyer, that's why the legal fees were so high.

We settled about 10 months after the incident, on the agreement that they pay all my medical expenses and damages to the truck as well as legal fees for the 2nd lawyer.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Remember, when you have something broken off in cast iron, like a manifold or a differential spider gear crosspin/retainer bolt.. the cast iron is very "torch" resistant but the broken off piece of steel will burn right out.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving fuckiddy gently caress.

This looks expensive to fix.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

JB Weld.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The shock is also bouncing around and my alignment is way, way loving off.

Do you really think I could JB weld it and get the alignment redone and shocks replaced?

E: From reading online it seems to be less of a job than I thought it would be. I took it into my local place and they didn't want anything to do with it because of removing the rivets. Called up a place that deals in more commercial stuff and taking it over there tomorrow morning.

I'm sure i'm still gunna get $raped.

vv- yeah, i assumed so, it just completely threw me off. Also wtf is this part actually called, I can't find a price/part number anywhere on the internet 'upper spring seat' 'upper shock tower' 'thing that crumbled to dust'

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 22, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Do you really think I could JB weld it and get the alignment redone and shocks replaced?

The JB Weld suggestion was (hopefully) sarcasm.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure liquid nails is better for suspension repairs.

Seriously though, what kind of vehicle? It appears to be a framed vehicle of some sort, and it also appears you'll be learning to weld.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure liquid nails is better for suspension repairs.

Seriously though, what kind of vehicle? It appears to be a framed vehicle of some sort, and it also appears you'll be learning to weld.

Sorry, 96 f150.

The bracket/seat/bucket is separate from the frame and riveted I just can't seem to google the right thing to find a price/part number. Had to do a similar thing (remove rivets replace with bolts) for the radius arms brackets.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Motronic posted:

The JB Weld suggestion was (hopefully) sarcasm.

Very much so. Next time I'll say superglue.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can probably get that part for under a hundred bucks at the ford dealer hahahahaha who am I kidding.

What you can do is walk into the parts office and ask them for the part number, then try and find it cheaper online.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Order factory Ford parts from Tousley Ford.

They offer 10% above cost on all dealer parts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sockington posted:

Order factory Ford parts from Tousley Ford.

They offer 10% above cost on all dealer parts.

Seconding Tousley. Placed multiple orders with them over the years. I need to find a similarly-friendly Jeep dealer now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll keep tousley in mind if I ever end up fixing Fords for friends.

I used to use factorydiscountparts.com for Jeep parts - they changed hands recently and I can't vouch for the current staff/management but I'm willing to give them a try on my next order.

In no way should you ever use factorychryslerparts.com though, they are beyond horrible, I ordered from them, they claimed it was in stock, accepted payment immediately, and said it would be shipping about 2 days later, then fell into a black hole and was immediately shuffled to voicemail and my emails were ignored for several months. I ended up having my bank reverse the charges.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Plinkey posted:

loving fuckiddy gently caress.

This looks expensive to fix.

Ooooh, fully independent front suspension :)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

Ooooh, fully independent front suspension :)

So after further inspection the failure point was the upper shock mount. Which put more force on the bracket causing the crack.

Meh, I'll see what they say tomorrow when I drop it off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Plinkey posted:

So after further inspection the failure point was the upper shock mount. Which put more force on the bracket causing the crack.

Meh, I'll see what they say tomorrow when I drop it off.

Your best bet might be butchering a junkyard truck. Just grind off the rivets, and cut the whole thing out.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Where there's smoke, there's:

I measured the rotor at about 350°F when the car (02 Toyota Solara) first came in. I had to let it sit for a good 10 minutes or so before even trying to get the wheel off.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2012

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Root Bear posted:

I measured the rotor at about 350°F when the car (02 Toyota Solara) first came in. I had to let it sit for a good 10 minutes or so before even trying to get the wheel off.

That's cute, let me know when they glow orange like these brake lines I stood by with an extinguisher at the ready :v: (reposted for hot parts dickwaving)

quote:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Are those actually glowing? Because that looks like rust to me.

Then again I'm from rustland :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

kastein posted:

Are those actually glowing? Because that looks like rust to me.

Then again I'm from rustland :haw:

As I remember they flash-rusted, and I think that's the aftermath.