Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Davincie posted:

I recently build a new computer and on my old one (which I no longer have access to) I had a program that would tell me the quality of an mp3 when I mouse over it, so things like bitrate, low-mid-high-very high quality, song length, artist and so on. The words telling me the quality is the important part. Anyone know a good (free preferred) program that does that?

Not quite the same, but in Windows Explorer, with the view set to details, you can see that info:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

I wouldn't go that far, since SMART values are never totally meaningful, but you don't need the excuse of a hosed drive to get an SSD.

I was under the impression that SMART passes don't necessarily guarantee your drive is healthy, but that failures are always a Bad Thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Davincie posted:

I recently build a new computer and on my old one (which I no longer have access to) I had a program that would tell me the quality of an mp3 when I mouse over it, so things like bitrate, low-mid-high-very high quality, song length, artist and so on. The words telling me the quality is the important part. Anyone know a good (free preferred) program that does that?
In explorer in details view, you can right click on the column headers and enable a bit rate column. This works for most, but apparently not all mp3s :confused:

MediaMonkey is pretty good as a media player and organizer and has columns for bit rate, channels and sample rate. Not bit depth, oddly.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

HalloKitty posted:

I wouldn't go that far, since SMART values are never totally meaningful, but you don't need the excuse of a hosed drive to get an SSD.

No really, his drive is in trouble. Specifically he has 42 reallocated sectors. I believe Google released a White Paper several years ago that indicated that any reallocated sectors at all dramatically increases the chance of total failure.

I'd definitely backup your data (and keep it up-to-date), and be prepared for a drive failure at any time. If that means buying an SSD now, go for it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IIRC, reallocated sectors means that a problem with the actual surface of the drive is beginning, which would indicate a looming total failure with an indeterminate time interval.

So yeah, as soon as I see something like that show up, it's time to get a new drive... now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kapinga posted:

No really, his drive is in trouble. Specifically he has 42 reallocated sectors. I believe Google released a White Paper several years ago that indicated that any reallocated sectors at all dramatically increases the chance of total failure.

I'd definitely backup your data (and keep it up-to-date), and be prepared for a drive failure at any time. If that means buying an SSD now, go for it.

Actually yeah, disregard what I said, it is pretty clear. I thought it was going to be one of those values that always reads off, but no.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend some software to add metadata to mp4's?

Specifically something that can automatically download information from imdb and it to the file. I found Metax which I'll pay for if I have to, but it seems like something simple enough that there will be a free solution out there.

Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend some software to add metadata to mp4's?

Specifically something that can automatically download information from imdb and it to the file. I found Metax which I'll pay for if I have to, but it seems like something simple enough that there will be a free solution out there.
Another thing MediaMonkey may be worth a shot for.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Another thing MediaMonkey may be worth a shot for.

Hey it seems to work- thanks! I was hoping though that once I did this that information would show up in other media players that the files were added to.

For example if I embed the metadata in a dozen files then if someone opens them up in Zune player it would be neatly organized in the correct genre with a description for them.

This however doesn't seem to be happening. Do you have any clue how to make something like that work, with any easy to use media player?

Also I think I owe you a favour - you always seem to answer my computer questions!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 22, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

IIRC, reallocated sectors means that a problem with the actual surface of the drive is beginning, which would indicate a looming total failure with an indeterminate time interval.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I thought that if SMART reports a reallocated sector it means that your drive has already used up all the sectors it can do this to quietly and is now into the process that starts to lower the capacity of your disk. Prior to this point it would reallocate by itself and SMART would be none the wiser.
But like I said, I can't guarantee this is true.
But in my experience, once you see one sector being reallocated, you soon see a lot more.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well, this is what GSmartControl has to say about reallocated sectors, but it's not clear to me if SMART knows about all reallocations or not. Thinking about it, though, I don't see why the drive would keep quiet about any reallocation, so I'm leaning towards SMART reporting them no matter what.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Hey it seems to work- thanks! I was hoping though that once I did this that information would show up in other media players that the files were added to.

For example if I embed the metadata in a dozen files then if someone opens them up in Zune player it would be neatly organized in the correct genre with a description for them.

This however doesn't seem to be happening. Do you have any clue how to make something like that work, with any easy to use media player?

Also I think I owe you a favour - you always seem to answer my computer questions!
It should, in principle, be possible with any player that reads MP4 tags. It's just a matter of getting MediaMonkey to not only save the changes to its database, but also to the tags in the files themselves.

I haven't got great many MP4 files to test on, but could you check in MediaMonkey whether Tools > Options > Library > Tags & Playlists > Update tags when editing properties is enabled and whether that makes a difference? It seems to be disabled by default, which is prudent and delightfully non-intrusive for a media manager, but not helpful in this case.

You should also be able to force database/tag synchronisation manually through Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags (CTRL+S)

modig
Aug 20, 2002

kapinga posted:

I've already backed up all my data, and moved all important stuff to my laptop over the past year. Pretty much my desktop is for games, Play On, and storing photos. Once it dies or gets too annoying I'll rebuild on an SSD, and put the photos on the externa drive.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

It should, in principle, be possible with any player that reads MP4 tags. It's just a matter of getting MediaMonkey to not only save the changes to its database, but also to the tags in the files themselves.

I haven't got great many MP4 files to test on, but could you check in MediaMonkey whether Tools > Options > Library > Tags & Playlists > Update tags when editing properties is enabled and whether that makes a difference? It seems to be disabled by default, which is prudent and delightfully non-intrusive for a media manager, but not helpful in this case.

You should also be able to force database/tag synchronisation manually through Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags (CTRL+S)

I managed that and it worked for about half the files but for some reason refused to add the genre tags to about half the files, so I added them manually through mp3 tagger (ridiculously slow piece of software btw). And it seems to work great!

All I need now is to figure out what tag marks a file as a 'movie' rather than 'other' or unknown and it will be perfect plug n play.

Well for the other person, its been a lot of hassle for me!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a recommendation for BluRay playback (Windows 7 64 bit)?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for BluRay playback (Windows 7 64 bit)?

ArcSoft Total Media Theatre. I loving hate PowerDVD and WinDVD. Give it a go.

Most bluray drives will come with a version of PowerDVD if it's anything like when I bought my LG.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 22, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I just installed Office 2010 32-bit on a 64-bit system. When it finished, it didn't register any of the file extensions with Windows. Is that cause I'm using a stupid version for my OS?

I did the 32-bit version because the install said, "Hey! Your Plug-Ins might be broken and other compatibility issues could arise if you use 64-bit." I heeded the warning cause we use Kaspersky and I didn't know if it would be happy. Kinda foolish of me in retro.

Should I just install the 64-bit version and see? Or is there a button I can press to have Office register it's file extensions with Windows?

Edit: on an unrelated note, I'm so impressed with Windows Scheduled Task/task scheduler interface, so strong!

decypher fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 22, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

decypher posted:

I just installed Office 2010 32-bit on a 64-bit system. When it finished, it didn't register any of the file extensions with Windows. Is that cause I'm using a stupid version for my OS?

I did the 32-bit version because the install said, "Hey! Your Plug-Ins might be broken and other compatibility issues could arise if you use 64-bit." I heeded the warning cause we use Kaspersky and I didn't know if it would be happy. Kinda foolish of me in retro.

Should I just install the 64-bit version and see? Or is there a button I can press to have Office register it's file extensions with Windows?

Edit: on an unrelated note, I'm so impressed with Windows Scheduled Task/task scheduler interface, so strong!

No something else is hosed up. We deployed 32-bit Office 2010 to 100+ Windows 7 x64 desktops with no issues.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 23, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Now that you've got it figured out don't reinstall 64-bit Office. The official word from Microsoft, at least as has been told to the company I work for, is not to use the 64-bit version unless you have a specific need for it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Galler posted:

Now that you've got it figured out don't reinstall 64-bit Office. The official word from Microsoft, at least as has been told to the company I work for, is not to use the 64-bit version unless you have a specific need for it.

Yep, unless you have Excel spreadsheets over 4GB (or I suppose any document over 4GB, but who the gently caress has a 4GB word document. gently caress, asking the questoins mean's somebody does) the official word is don't use 64 bit. I think Office 2010 64 bit is a lot like Windows Xp 64 bit. Yeah, it exists, but you probably shouldn't use it. Hopefully next 64 bit office will be as rock solid as Windows 7 was in comparison to 32 bit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Does anyone know a simple program that would be good at essentially acting like an electronic sing-out sheet for physical equipment? Right now I'm just using a paper sign-out sheet when I loan stuff out but it feels like there has to be something out there already. I could write something, but I'd prefer not to if it's not necessary.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any "widget" of sorts for Windows XP that lets me press a universal keyboard shortcut that lets me search through my GMail contacts? It would make my work life infinitely easier if there was.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Galler posted:

Eh, we use it and it works fine. You're only going to have issues if people use crazy plugins. Infact, it's a bonus that crazy plugins don't work.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know theres a OP/Megathread about this but I cant find it...

What is the solution to the general "slowness" all windows systems seem to get as they go on? Like my computer was lightening fast when I first got it. I havent really installed many programs and i clean it with 3 different anti-virus every other day. How do I get that "fresh install" speed to last forever?

Any suggestions?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I know theres a OP/Megathread about this but I cant find it...

What is the solution to the general "slowness" all windows systems seem to get as they go on? Like my computer was lightening fast when I first got it. I havent really installed many programs and i clean it with 3 different anti-virus every other day. How do I get that "fresh install" speed to last forever?

Any suggestions?

Stop running 3 different anti-viruses, for a start.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
i knew someone would say that.

Im serious though, is it the registry or something?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gozinbulx posted:

Well, yeah, because it's a big obvious problem.

What version of Windows is this? Unless you're still on XP, there shouldn't be any need for routine reinstalls. One thing that might help, though, is to go to msconfig and disable unnecessary startup items. If you don't know what something is, look it up. If you're still not sure whether it's important, leave it turned on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just got a USB 3.0 -> SATA adapter and would like to wipe (zero-fill) some old hard disks I have laying around. Is there any reputable program to accomplish this?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

Im serious though, is it the registry or something?

Registry bloat is fairly nonexistant for Win7, it's vastly improved over XP/Vista. If you're experiencing long term degredation you've either accumulated too many processes absorbing system resources (change your process load in msconfig at boot) or your HDD has suffered massive amounts of defragmentation (75%+).

Either way it isn't normal and you're doing something odd.

akadajet posted:

I just got a USB 3.0 -> SATA adapter and would like to wipe (zero-fill) some old hard disks I have laying around. Is there any reputable program to accomplish this?

Mount the drive, open command prompt, format e: /fs:NTFS /p:2 (substitute E: for the mounted drive letter)
Or grab yourself a copy of Killdisk.

MeramJert posted:

Does anyone know a simple program that would be good at essentially acting like an electronic sing-out sheet for physical equipment? Right now I'm just using a paper sign-out sheet when I loan stuff out but it feels like there has to be something out there already. I could write something, but I'd prefer not to if it's not necessary.

Microsoft Excel?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 24, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Digital_Jesus posted:

Either way it isn't normal and you're doing something odd.

Like running three different anti-viruses, for example :psyduck:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

akadajet posted:

A full format (as opposed to a quick one) under Windows Vista/7 will zero your disk.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Mount the drive, open command prompt, format e: /fs:NTFS /p:2 (substitute E: for the mounted drive letter)

I had no idea the format command could do that. Thanks!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gromit posted:

A full format (as opposed to a quick one) under Windows Vista/7 will zero your disk.

I didn't know that Microsoft changed it. I was still under the impression that all a full format did was check for bad sectors.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

akadajet posted:

I didn't know that Microsoft changed it. I was still under the impression that all a full format did was check for bad sectors.

Standard formats under windows will simply mark the entire drive as deleted but not actually zero out. The command I linked above will zero the disk. If you want multiple passes or DoD level drive wiping you'll need something like Killdisk.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't mention multipass formats as that gives them too much credibility.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You can also do a simple format and cipher /w, which does a zero pass, one pass and then random pass without needing any extra software. It's gonna take a long-rear end time though.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Need some advice on a good antivirus/malware. Security essentials isn't cutting it for my relatives. Keep getting calls every few weeks about some new malware they have installed. Help! Thanks

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nask26 posted:

Need some advice on a good antivirus/malware. Security essentials isn't cutting it for my relatives. Keep getting calls every few weeks about some new malware they have installed. Help! Thanks

Something that uses a software whitelist. (Hell, reducing their account privileges might be enough.)

From the sound of it this is a user problem, not an antivirus problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Something that uses a software whitelist. (Hell, reducing their account privileges might be enough.)

From the sound of it this is a user problem, not an antivirus problem.

It is, It's most likely my 15 year old brother who is causing the issues. I was thinking malwarebytes or nod32.