Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So, uh, for "Arousing Suspicion": Just what do I do here? Just let this happen or go out there? This kind of seems like a big thing that might have consequences later down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Policenaut posted:

So, uh, for "Arousing Suspicion": Just what do I do here? Just let this happen or go out there? This kind of seems like a big thing that might have consequences later down the line.

The Duchess is a pain in the rear end. Let him do the bitch

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Was I supposed to kill all of the chicks in the Red cloaks? I went into the last room next to the lever, and the leader just yelled "This is no place for men!" and attacked me. All the other girls were fine with me until I went into that room

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Was I supposed to kill all of the chicks in the Red cloaks? I went into the last room next to the lever, and the leader just yelled "This is no place for men!" and attacked me. All the other girls were fine with me until I went into that room

I think this is the group that I killed. I never talked to leader in the room with the lever outside. She ate an exploding barrel before she knew what had happened. I had the same situation with none of the other girls in the castle reacting to my presence until the leader died. This was after fighting my way through them up the hill.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Well I'm starting to get really annoyed by the lack of randomization in enemy placement. Knowing where each enemy and cluster is really ruins half of everything that drives you out further. You spend so much time getting somewhere that what you end up doing isn't nearly worth the effort of getting there. Just starts to feel like a time grind.

Game is really fun but this is a problem I've had with Morrowind, Demon's/Dark Souls, etc. I understand why the Souls games don't have these randomized encounters due to the surroundings being an important part of the encounter. Dogma doesn't really get that defense because the majority of your travels are through these really open areas.

It'd just be nice if I didn't know what was hanging out on the other side of a hill or on that side of the forest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, I kind of feel like I have hit a brick wall. I have hit a point in the main quest where it's impossible to beat the mission I am on, then I go and try to find side missions to level up and every loving one of them is some vague gathering quest with no waypoints or anything. At this point should I just gently caress around on the map? I can't find anything to do with any sort of direction. Everything is just like "I could use 3 balls, can u find me 3 balls somewhere on earth...? thanx bro"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Threw my gamertag into the spreadsheet thing. If you need things chopped into bits with a giant sword, well that's what my pawn does

I'm not all that far into the game yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I can see eventually getting pretty sick of running these vast distances and having to fight these drat bandits over and over again, but right now I'm having a blast. I fairly recently switched to Sorcerer, when do the big AOE damage spells turn up? Right now all I have is the same spells my Mage had, only paired with debuffs instead of heals, I'm level 21-ish not sure of the vocation level.

Also, and this is probably going to make me feel like an idiot when I learn the answer, where is Mercedes' armor set that I got from the DLC? I figure my warrior pawn would look pretty good in it...just like all 30 other pawns standing around in the pawn guild who are also wearing it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can someone who finished Arousing Suspicion spoil the end of it for me? I accidentally accepted the other guy's quest to go on the expedition and it cancelled that quest. I saw the first couple of cutscenes so I know about the choking and the decision to just stand there or walk out but what's the impact of what happens? Is it a major plot diversion or just a quick quest to decide that one character's fate?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

VDay posted:

Can someone who finished Arousing Suspicion spoil the end of it for me? I accidentally accepted the other guy's quest to go on the expedition and it cancelled that quest. I saw the first couple of cutscenes so I know about the choking and the decision to just stand there or walk out but what's the impact of what happens? Is it a major plot diversion or just a quick quest to decide that one character's fate?

vvv Better answer

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

VDay posted:

This is a spoiler to a pretty good quest so don't read it if you haven't done Arousing Suspicion. I saved her. You fail the quest otherwise. If you save her you find out the king was mind controlled somehow and tried to kill her. She blames you for strolling into her bedchambers, and you're tortured. She comes in and apologizes for the betrayal and gives you the keys to escape. The quest is great, but unfortunately the king never treats you differently.

Later on you get another quest to save her in a castle. You have sex with her, then get her out of there. I don't know if things are different if you're female.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should've just done that quest real quick, oh well.

For anyone using my pawn Vivi, send him back and rehire him if you hired him a while ago. I just got the last High spells for him as well as the two sorcerer augments and new gear. He's pretty much set now in terms of skills/augments.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Amazon sent me an email telling me my copy was shipping yesterday and today I got an email with some pre-order codes, does anyone know if the pre-order bonuses are any good?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Fun Fact: Applying an elemental boon to your staff/archistaff changes how the charge shot works. Fire element is pretty normal, Ice makes them hang in the air then fire off all at once, Holy makes them...slow, Dark makes them woozy and drunk-like and fire off like a machine gun, and lightning makes them super-fast.

It's the little things in life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What do the boon spells do to weapons that are inherently elemental?

edit: vvvv no, take everything that isn't nailed down. As far as I know, attacking people is the only thing that gets you sent to the dungeon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are there any repercussions for stealing poo poo laying around a town/in people's houses?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Amazon sent me an email telling me my copy was shipping yesterday and today I got an email with some pre-order codes, does anyone know if the pre-order bonuses are any good?
It's just a few basic weapons that are pre-upgraded to level 2. The iron sword lasted me until level 13ish and I found a better weapon.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Cbouncerrun posted:

Are there any repercussions for stealing poo poo laying around a town/in people's houses?

There IS an early quest where people talk about a thief though, and I'm basically standing there going. "Um... this is sounding familia-oh they don't mean me."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think I'm wearing female clothing by mistake.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of that, what's the cheapest female piece of clothing that I can buy to put on a guy? I just want the achievement for it without spending 2 bucks for the captain's armor.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

VDay posted:

Speaking of that, what's the cheapest female piece of clothing that I can buy to put on a guy? I just want the achievement for it without spending 2 bucks for the captain's armor.

You can pick up a gown at The Black Cat.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm thinking that it might have been a bad decision to make my main Pawn a tank. It's getting quite irritating combing though sorcerer pawn after sorcerer pawn in the Rift looking for the precise combination of heals and buffs I need. Magic-user pawns need a lot more finessing than one that just charges into battle.

Although I suppose my main pawn would be a gimped magician after spending 23 levels as a fighter/warrior, right?

Also, just maxed out Fighter at lvl23, sooner than I expected. Really fun class, moves remind me quite a bit of Link's from Twilight Princess. I was thinking Mystical Knight, but a few tricky spots in the Everfall convinced me that I need long-range precision attacks. So might go Assassin...

What lvl were you folks when you cleared out the Quarry?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

I'm thinking that it might have been a bad decision to make my main Pawn a tank. It's getting quite irritating combing though sorcerer pawn after sorcerer pawn in the Rift looking for the precise combination of heals and buffs I need. Magic-user pawns need a lot more finessing than one that just charges into battle.

Although I suppose my main pawn would be a gimped magician after spending 23 levels as a fighter/warrior, right?

Also, just maxed out Fighter at lvl23, sooner than I expected. Really fun class, moves remind me quite a bit of Link's from Twilight Princess. I was thinking Mystical Knight, but a few tricky spots in the Everfall convinced me that I need long-range precision attacks. So might go Assassin...

What lvl were you folks when you cleared out the Quarry?

If all they do is heal and buff you just pick one and keep it. They don't need to be the exact level as you.

Ive also found it really easy to switch classes.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

Not quite - in the grand scheme of things, 23 levels isn't much of a dent since you still have 77 levels left before stat gains drop. You just need a good staff to compensate and he'll do just fine. Though I'm kinda with you with the Mage thing, since it's kinda hard to gently caress up assigning the right abilities for a Tank or Rogue-ish dude but it's a lot easier when it comes to mages. It's just so much more convenient to upkeep your own Mage instead of relying on other people to pick the skills you're looking/hoping for.

As a side note, has anyone else (minor early-game spoiler territory) had Renault follow them around every-loving-where for no reason after they first get to Gran Soren? The dude supposedly has a future quest tied to him so I don't want to have him die, but I don't know how to get him to leave me be. I don't think it's a bug, since this is the second time out of two playthroughs that this has happened. Do I need to just go to the Pawn Guild instead of loving around like I am or is there some other option?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't found one yet due to a combination of relentless dicking around and having to restart the game because I thought being a strider was too hard since the game kept kicking my rear end :downs: Turns out, the bandits were just hurting me because they loved me (to death, with their swords).

I imagine, however, that all a boon spell does is just add an element to the weapon's damage, either making it dual-element (awesome!) or just changing it to another element (good, but boring)

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hey goons, thinking about buying this game for the weekend.

Any gripes that would stop me from buying this game? I just came off Diablo 3 and was sick of the mess there. Especially Inferno mode.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is there anything significant that happens based on whether or not I let Marcelo (dude in the catacombs, after the Salvation ceremony) live or kill him?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

jerichojx posted:

Hey goons, thinking about buying this game for the weekend.

Any gripes that would stop me from buying this game? I just came off Diablo 3 and was sick of the mess there. Especially Inferno mode.

I mean, it just depends on what your gripes would be. This game's far from perfect but as you can see there's plenty of us having an absolute blast with it. Check out some videos or something and read some of the reviews in the OP, that'll show/tell you about the game as well as some of its flaws so you can decide.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone have tips on making this game easier? Even cheesy tips are fine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well, don't play with your feet, if you're doing that. God gave you thumbs for a reason, otherwise, what specifically are you having trouble with?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there anything significant that happens based on whether or not I let Marcelo (dude in the catacombs, after the Salvation ceremony) live or kill him?

If you kill him you become best buddies and he gives you more quests. If only the Audence with the Duke hadn't canceled all my quests :(

Kilometers Davis posted:

Be a bow-Strider and hire melee pawns.

Edit: vvvvvvv go sit in the chair at the inn, and you can modify your main pawn's behaviour.

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 25, 2012

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dan Didio posted:

Well, don't play with your feet, if you're doing that. God gave you thumbs for a reason, otherwise, what specifically are you having trouble with?

I am a snake. All I can do is rub against the controller and hope for the best. :(

Surviving and killing as a strider. I never find any gear whatsoever and I feel like I'm constantly dying along with my pawns in any slightly hard fight. I always end up in a situation where my pawns never obey my come command and I have to keep reviving them.

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The element it gets enchanted to overrides your weapon's stuff. Drove me crazy when a rental pawn kept adding holy to everything, including my lightning staff.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I am a snake. All I can do is rub against the controller and hope for the best. :(

Surviving and killing as a strider. I never find any gear whatsoever and I feel like I'm constantly dying along with my pawns in any slightly hard fight. I always end up in a situation where my pawns never obey my come command and I have to keep reviving them.

I'm also playing a strider and i had trouble in the early game as well, I specced into the two multishot skills and mighty bend and have 2 melee pawns and a mage. just send our pawns ahead and use the full bend skill to knock enemies down. switch to ranger once it becomes available so you can start wrecking poo poo with a longbow.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Become friends with people who have much higher level pawns then you. Rent them for free.

Get yourself and your pawn set up as mages with the high comestion ability. Rent some melee pawns to distract guys while you and your main pawn blow everything up. Two mages/sorcs casting comestion/fire boon will kill most things. Watch out for archer/mage bandits.

Keep your gear and skills topped off, carry lots of health and stamina items, and always be ready to run.

Save often.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

rzal posted:

Become friends with people who have much higher level pawns then you. Rent them for free.

Get yourself and your pawn set up as mages with the high comestion ability. Rent some melee pawns to distract guys while you and your main pawn blow everything up. Two mages/sorcs casting comestion/fire boon will kill most things. Watch out for archer/mage bandits.

Keep your gear and skills topped off, carry lots of health and stamina items, and always be ready to run.

Save often.

Also loot all the useless items, they tend to be used in upgrades for you items. on that note. You can upgrade straight to 3 star if you have the items required for it, even if the second tier of items is not in your possession.

A useful item to keep are the shackles that bandits drop, they can be combined with hunks of iron and iron ore to make skeleton keys. they can apparently open most locked doors.

EDIT// Do not go off the roads at night you will get murdered. Running away is a valid tactic.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ah ha ha.

I like how this game really fucks with your morality. Doing the right thing sometimes can pay off dividends or ruin everyone's day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to play in Japanese mode for a while, and the English version is so much better, it feels like that is the original language and Japanese is the translation. That may actually be the case, I dunno.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Some stuff posted elsewhere

quote:

A grand total of 202 unique weapons, including swords, hammers, bows & staffs.

I couldn't count all the armor sets because they weren't all grouped together, but I did count the helmets individually.
There are a total of 71 unique helmets/headsets in the game.
Assuming the chestplate, leggings & greaves all go with them that should be 70+ full armor sets (which seemed like it).
I did not count the generic stuff like peasant clothing & the generic cloths, which would add even more to the total.

There are also a total of 32 unique shields also in the game.

quote:

I'm not sure many people know this or if its worthy of being in the original post, but there is a 3rd option for grabbing besides hoisting things on your shoulder or climbing larger enemies.

If you are a Fighter (and presumably other classes as well, but not Strider or Mage at least) you can either tap the button to hoist a smaller character on your shoulder, OR, hold the button down to hold the enemy in front of you and use it as a living shield. You can actually use this in the demo in the prologue to let goblins kill each other, by grappling one goblin and using it as a shield while the other goblins kill it trying to attack you. You can see your fighter Pawns do this frequently (at first I thought only Pawns could do it).

Against some enemies (like harpies) you'll pin them to the ground instead by doing this, and can then use an attack button to kick the pinned enemy.

Its also probably worth noting that you can't grab a smaller enemy with either method unless they are in a "hurt" state of some kind - recoiling, knocked over the ground, dead, etc. If they are "combat ready" then you can't grab them (I see a lot of people in videos trying to just randomly grab enemies to chuck them off of cliffs and thinking they missed, not realizing that they first have to hit the enemy with normal attacks to get them into a recoil or something first before they can grab them).

quote:

-You can preserve items that easily rot by putting them in the “airtight flask”. If you are able to put a fish that you caught into the airtight flask while it is still fresh, you will have nothing to worry about.

-The Fighter cannot use magic abilities. However, if you can make a magic book, this will become an effective means of attack against monsters that you cannot attack with mere swords.

-I cannot go into details here, but monsters that are connected to fire drop items that allow you to create explosives.

-If you somehow end up in jail, you might be able to create a key and escape.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So I decided to spec into warrior and be Guts for an evening and holy mother of god the warrior with Guts' gear is a monster. Maxed out the warrior class and got the super ultimate move that you charge up for like 30 seconds and used it on a passing chimera. Boom one hit kill. I'm starting to wonder how crazy the berserk gear would be dragon forged.

I'm wondering that Guts' sword might turn into the dragonslayer if it's forged because that description is spot on the description for the dragonslayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I have no idea what to do with my character :( I switched to Magick Archer after 25 levels (and max vocation ranks) of being a sword and board Assassin; I like the magic bow skills a lot but my damage is just so piddly, even with the +magic fire knives. Should I just tough it out and hope I become effective later, or just switch to magic knight/continue as assassin?
On a different note, if anybody needs a warrior, my BFF warrior Oszais is level 37 and awesome.

• Locked thread