Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress Non-Nexus Phones.

My sister picked up a new Android phone a few months ago after her old dumbphone crapped out. The Sprint sales rep was pushing for a Motorola Photon, but I talked her into getting a Nexus S (since she didn't want to wait for the Galaxy Nexus, which was I think a month and a half out at the time).

Every time I talk to her I am reminded that I made a good recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is there an easy to use (non-root) method of syncing Facebook contacts on the Galaxy Nexus? It doesn't even necessarily need to be a persistent sync, but names, contact info and photos would be great.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I don't think I saw this here, but the HTC Evo 4G LTE does have one perk:

3G data and talk at the same time

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/24/sprints-htc-evo-4g-lte-supports-simultaneous-voice-and-data-over-3g/

I was pretty much ignoring this one phone, but if the data speeds for 3G weren't so sucky here, I'd really like having that feature.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Is there an easy to use (non-root) method of syncing Facebook contacts on the Galaxy Nexus? It doesn't even necessarily need to be a persistent sync, but names, contact info and photos would be great.

Last I check sync my pix works OK, but its been a good while since I tried it.

Random work rant, apparently the galaxy nexus claw only attaches to the battery door. I discovered this when I noticed that our galaxy nexus demo consisted of a battery door and nothing else. People are loving assholes and of course this happened while I was the main person so it makes me look bad (I had a long line).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Where would be the best place to pick up a used Nexus S 4G? My boyfriend wants one after having used the LG Rumor Touch and the Samsung Rant. He wants to have it to tide him over until he can upgrade to a new Galaxy Nexus next January.

He's tried eBay and Cowboom but doesn't trust Craigslist for where he is (Flagstaff, AZ).

He's currently looking at this and this but we're trying to see if the ESNs are good...and if we can find somewhere that has a good screen.

He's not a big fan of Cowboom because they're all around $209 and all scratched.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Where would be the best place to pick up a used Nexus S 4G? My boyfriend wants one after having used the LG Rumor Touch and the Samsung Rant. He wants to have it to tide him over until he can upgrade to a new Galaxy Nexus next January.

He's tried eBay and Cowboom but doesn't trust Craigslist for where he is (Flagstaff, AZ).

He's currently looking at this and this but we're trying to see if the ESNs are good...and if we can find somewhere that has a good screen.

He's not a big fan of Cowboom because they're all around $209 and all scratched.

I might be able to get you one soon for $200. Honesty in the same area SA Mart is pretty reliable for this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I might be able to get you one soon for $200. Honesty in the same area SA Mart is pretty reliable for this.

I've talked it over with him and I checked SA Mart but the only one I saw was sold already.

He's interested in the $200 one though, is it new or used he's wondering. If used, how's the condition?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

peepsalot posted:

I think I just figured out what the hell is going on. Apparently I'm holding it wrong. I guess I hold my phone weird because i support the bottom of it with my my pinky finger when it's up to my ear. And that's right where they put the tiny hole that i'm assuming is the mic, between the USB and audio jack.

So I guess I'll just train myself to quit holding it like a weirdo. :shepface:

The Entire Universe posted:

If you are set up with GVoice and have it make you press 1 to answer, there will be a few seconds where the call is seemingly not connected fully.

E: also the mic is on the bottom edge of the phone and thus prone in my case to get covered by a stray finger.

Hey sup pinkymute bro.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

brc64 posted:

Check out HaxSync which is $1. It creates a new account type that talks to Facebook's API and syncs images to your contacts as well as calendar and a few other things.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How can anyone consider the Evo LTE anything but entirely broken with that multitasking bullshit? Am I missing something here?

I've had it since noon yesterday and it's worked really well in all my normal tasks, a major one being using 3 different audio players (Amazon MP3, Ambling Audiobooks, Beyondpod) with a wired headset, often picking up a podcast or audiobook from where I left off 7 or 8 hours earlier. The alarm woke me up in the morning, and when I got in the car I hit my headset button and UYD picked up right where it left off. (I got the voice dialer beep first, like I always did on my 4G, because I'm too dumb to figure out how to disassociate the headset button from the voice dialer activation.)

I would say it's not entirely broken because it's actually really loving awesome.

- The screen is amazing.
- It's super-fast. Everything feels very quick and responsive.
- It's super thin and light for having such a massive screen.
- The keyboard is awesome.
- Sense 4.0 is fantastic compared to the version on my EVO 4G.
- The camera is better than any camera phone I've ever used.
- (not HTC's doing) ICS is awesome.

I had to swap phones, because the order went in under my wife's line, and using the EVO 4G again to enter programming codes was awful. That screen is like mud compared to the LTE. It's slow and unresponsive. It feels like a brick. The screen is small. I had been using the LTE for less than an hour (I had it longer, but in-my-hand time was closer to 10 minutes) and I was perfectly happy with my 4G that morning.

The phone is loving rad. I'm sure there are more hardcore POWER users who want to do poo poo with their phones I don't that see it as gimped out, but for normal and normal+ users like me who can handle having a phone as tall as a goddam building, it's great.

After leaving Draw Something for an hour, going back to it with the multi-tasking button does initiate a re-launch, but I don't know if that's the multi-tasking or the remote authentication timing out (or both... or neither), but the phone is so fast that I'm not going to throw a shitfit and pretend all that awesome stuff up there is a big lie because of 3 seconds.

Feel free to clamor for different multi-tasking if you want, but I won't give a single drat about it over the next two years and I'll be snapping a shitload of pictures with this awesome camera (and hardware button! Awesome!).

ehonna_disco fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 25, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've talked it over with him and I checked SA Mart but the only one I saw was sold already.

He's interested in the $200 one though, is it new or used he's wondering. If used, how's the condition?

Great condition, I'll email you a picture. Email me at jimplaysdrums (at) gmail

And you add to the Evo vs Nexus debate, probably on here the Nexus is the way to go, but I'll bet right now the Evo outsells it 10-1. I have a ton of people asking for the Evo and no one asking for the Nexus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey Duckman, would it be typical in my situation (adding a new line then cancelling the old one to get my nexus) to receive a bill for a prorated month + a full month (both under the new number) in addition to the ETF (for the old number)?

e: For a total of $360.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 25, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was took the EVO back again to the Sprint store because the charging port has not work since they fixed screen, and ran into the nerdist 40 something couple I ever met in my life. They was rocking a pair of EVO LTEs. After spending some time with them (wait was over half an hour) I must say not a bad phone. Camera looks to be awesome. Actually it might be the first phone camera besides the iPhone 4S camera that I would say that about (honestly has every Android phone camera sucked until now?). Sense might be slightly better, but honestly it still sucks. Not the prettiest phone but it was light and thinner than I thought it would be. This couple had cases on them and lord it was ungodly looking.

I really don't think anyone could go wrong with the EVO LTE after what I saw in my little time with it. The camera blows away the Nexus' camera and by a lot of accounts (depending on the slant it seems) is as good or even better than the 4S camera (which is a great camera). Sense sucks but flash MIUI on that thing and problem solved. That said after having many HTC phones (I think 7 or so) I still question the build quality of the phone.

Edit: I think my appreciation for the EVO LTE is being swayed by the camera. I use my phone camera a lot, and going from the lovely EVO OG camera to the great iPhone 4S camera I know the value of a good camera.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 25, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Great condition, I'll email you a picture. Email me at jimplaysdrums (at) gmail

And you add to the Evo vs Nexus debate, probably on here the Nexus is the way to go, but I'll bet right now the Evo outsells it 10-1. I have a ton of people asking for the Evo and no one asking for the Nexus.

Thanks! Sent you an e-mail.

Yeah, every time I go to a Sprint store or any other store selling any Nexus device along with other phones, the Nexus barely gets anyone checking it out and always going for other ones.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

nate fisher posted:

Edit: I think my appreciation for the EVO LTE is being swayed by the camera. I use my phone camera a lot, and going from the lovely EVO OG camera to the great iPhone 4S camera I know the value of a good camera.
All this talk about the multitasking thing worries me a little, but I don't really plan on running 4-5 programs at once. If I wanted to listen to music while playing angry birds and browse the internet I would just buy a tablet.

I want a phone that can take pictures, call people, send and receive text messages. If that's all I want, the LTE is the way to go, right?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Are there supply issues with the Galaxy Nexus or is it just Best Buy? I'm wanting to buy through them because of the Phone Freedom thing ($50 off just for upgrading through them) I signed up for earlier this year plus the $50 off + $50 GC promo they're running if you trade in an OG Evo. Combine that with the $50 Google Wallet credit and I'd basically be getting for just the cost of activation. However, not only do none of the stores in my area have them in stock, the clerks in store can't order me one from the warehouse and they're sold out online.

I'm about at the point where I'm ready to buy it through Sprint and just pay the $199 , but if they're having similar supply issues I figure I might as well wait another week until the trade in promo at BB ends and hope they get more in before then.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

All this talk about the multitasking thing worries me a little, but I don't really plan on running 4-5 programs at once. If I wanted to listen to music while playing angry birds and browse the internet I would just buy a tablet.

I want a phone that can take pictures, call people, send and receive text messages. If that's all I want, the LTE is the way to go, right?

You're missing the point, it ships with broken software that was broken on purpose and will never be fixed. Get the iPhone or Galaxy Nexus.

It's regarding backgrounding apps, you should be able to send your browser into the background and then bring it back up on the same page. Sense is so useless that it kills the app and makes you reload the website/app/etc again. This all just wastes battery since holding the app in what would be unused RAM costs nothing while reloading websites and apps out of flash takes power.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

You're missing the point, it ships with broken software that was broken on purpose and will never be fixed. Get the iPhone or Galaxy Nexus.

It's regarding backgrounding apps, you should be able to send your browser into the background and then bring it back up on the same page. Sense is so useless that it kills the app and makes you reload the website/app/etc again. This all just wastes battery since holding the app in what would be unused RAM costs nothing while reloading websites and apps out of flash takes power.

You are correct, and makes me sad. If you could take what is best about the EVO LTE and combine it with the Galaxy Nexus, you would have a almost perfect phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

chizad posted:

Are there supply issues with the Galaxy Nexus or is it just Best Buy? I'm wanting to buy through them because of the Phone Freedom thing ($50 off just for upgrading through them) I signed up for earlier this year plus the $50 off + $50 GC promo they're running if you trade in an OG Evo. Combine that with the $50 Google Wallet credit and I'd basically be getting for just the cost of activation. However, not only do none of the stores in my area have them in stock, the clerks in store can't order me one from the warehouse and they're sold out online.

I'm about at the point where I'm ready to buy it through Sprint and just pay the $199 , but if they're having similar supply issues I figure I might as well wait another week until the trade in promo at BB ends and hope they get more in before then.
I've been told that they are doing it online only. There is no direct in store fulfillment. It very well may be backordered. Just place the order on bestbuy.com and you should get your $50 gift card via email.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

900ftjesus posted:

Except it doesn't do this. I just went from Browser to Maps to Talk to Grand Theft Auto III and the browser still has the same page loaded. What sort of crazy nonsense are the people complaining about this doing to make it happen?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody know of a good but cheap one-piece snap in case for the Epic 4G Touch? I'm planning on building the best car mount ever.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Evo 4G LTE just arrived. This thing is taller and wider than my old Evo, but thinner and lighter. It does not come with a Micro SD card in the slot. I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not - the last 3 HTC phones I had shipped with one. Charging it up now before I activate it.

edit- Also, HTC used to ship their phones with a leather case, and terrible headphones. I forget if the original Evo 4G came with these or not, but the old Windows phones certainly did.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 25, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

heat posted:

Except it doesn't do this. I just went from Browser to Maps to Talk to Grand Theft Auto III and the browser still has the same page loaded. What sort of crazy nonsense are the people complaining about this doing to make it happen?

Here's the video of the One X/Evo LTE doing its thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

900ftjesus posted:

Here's the video of the One X/Evo LTE doing its thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

The really annoying thing about this for me isn't so much THAT it's doing this, but WHY it's doing it. To the best of my knowledge, it's doing it to avoid launcher redraws because Sense redraws take longer than default launcher redraws, and occur more frequently, because Sense is a memory hog. Default launcher would make this "fix" unneeded, and would make it a better phone anyway.

I'm still leaning in the direction to get this, but I'm very happy with my current phone (Nexus S 4G), so I'm going to sit back and wait to see if Cyanogen support is announced, or HTC comes to their senses (... really not trying to do that) and fixes their "fix."

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Question: If the Evo 4G LTE doesn't roll out it's LTE, do I have to pay for the 4G upgrade when upgrading my SERO to SERO-P?

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 26, 2012

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

chizad posted:

Is the $50 + $50 Evo trade-in still active? I went in to Best Buy earlier this week and all the materials for that promo were gone. Also, I thought the $50 Google Wallet credit expired on May 22.

Is there a reason not to buy it through Amazon for $100?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No. 9 posted:

Question: If the Evo 4G LTE doesn't roll out it's LTE, do I have to pay for the 4G upgrade when upgrading my SERO to SERO-P?

Yep.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FYI: Those of you who pre-ordered an Evo LTE might be getting a free case in the mail. I just got a nice blue silicon case that fits snug and is definitely a lot better than the flimsy and super-loose-fitting silicon sleeve that I bought for my 4G Evo 2 years ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The galaxy nexus was backordered fyi, I had some people here asking about them, but for pretty everything that wasnt sprint corporate it was back ordered. My store just got a few in, so here is hoping it is back in stock.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know if this is a new standard Android thing or what, but I will say what I don't like about the Evo 4G LTE is the lack of a dedicated menu button. I already hate having to search each app for the menu.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

That is an ICS thing. I find it okay on my Gnex, and a bit annoying on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 since Touchwiz puts their own menu button there regardless what the app does.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know if this is a new standard Android thing or what, but I will say what I don't like about the Evo 4G LTE is the lack of a dedicated menu button. I already hate having to search each app for the menu.

Yes, this is my #1 annoyance. #2 is the lack of a dedicated search button. The button layout on my Evo 4G worked fine. Now an entire section of the screen is often dedicated to one button that used to take up a very small amount of non-screen real-estate. The screen is so tall, though, that I haven't been using it in an app in which I truly feel like I'm being robbed or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ehonna_disco posted:

Yes, this is my #1 annoyance. #2 is the lack of a dedicated search button. The button layout on my Evo 4G worked fine. Now an entire section of the screen is often dedicated to one button that used to take up a very small amount of non-screen real-estate. The screen is so tall, though, that I haven't been using it in an app in which I truly feel like I'm being robbed or something.

Yes. The whole screen is rarely used. Either there is a button at the bottom like a tablet, or there is a button at the top like an iPhone. I would love to also have a dedicated search button, and am confused why I need a separate button for the recently used programs. And I often use the phone one-handed, and reaching across for the back button sucks. The back button also gets rid of the on screen keyboard, which is something I spent 2 years training myself not to do, though it makes more sense this way.

edit- And it doesn't fit in my "universal" bicycle mount. I guess I can still use my old Evo to record GPS routes, that shouldn't need a cellular connection for that.

Still, user interface aside its lightning fast, brilliant camera and screen.

Turnquiet posted:

That is an ICS thing. I find it okay on my Gnex, and a bit annoying on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 since Touchwiz puts their own menu button there regardless what the app does.

Seems I am late to the party - this guy mentions everything I've just discovered.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 26, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

ehonna_disco posted:

FYI: Those of you who pre-ordered an Evo LTE might be getting a free case in the mail. I just got a nice blue silicon case that fits snug and is definitely a lot better than the flimsy and super-loose-fitting silicon sleeve that I bought for my 4G Evo 2 years ago.

I got one in but it's a hard plastic grey case. Cool of them to send that, I'll use it until I decide between an otterbox or a diztronic.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm beginning to wish I'd preordered through Best Buy instead of Amazon, so I could've gotten the similar pricing plus gift card and trade-in on my Evo. It's a little frustrating to see people are picking theirs up from Best Buy now, but that Amazon still hadn't shipped any phones out to my knowledge.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Yes. The whole screen is rarely used. Either there is a button at the bottom like a tablet, or there is a button at the top like an iPhone. I would love to also have a dedicated search button, and am confused why I need a separate button for the recently used programs. And I often use the phone one-handed, and reaching across for the back button sucks. The back button also gets rid of the on screen keyboard, which is something I spent 2 years training myself not to do, though it makes more sense this way.

edit- And it doesn't fit in my "universal" bicycle mount. I guess I can still use my old Evo to record GPS routes, that shouldn't need a cellular connection for that.

Still, user interface aside its lightning fast, brilliant camera and screen.

Seems I am late to the party - this guy mentions everything I've just discovered.

The menu setup in ICS is better now. Before you never knew if hitting the menu button would even do anything - now you get three vertical dots in the softkey bar at the bottom of the GNex. HTC's problem is they didn't go softkeys - so now they put the menu button ABOVE the hardware buttons on screen and it's ridiculous.

I'm ambivalent about the missing search key. I don't really care if there is a hardware key for search, I more miss the long press voice search functionality of it than anything.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Jensen posted:

The menu setup in ICS is better now. Before you never knew if hitting the menu button would even do anything - now you get three vertical dots in the softkey bar at the bottom of the GNex. HTC's problem is they didn't go softkeys - so now they put the menu button ABOVE the hardware buttons on screen and it's ridiculous.

I'm ambivalent about the missing search key. I don't really care if there is a hardware key for search, I more miss the long press voice search functionality of it than anything.

Long press voice search was a pretty big thing, though. And I use the hardware search button pretty frequently in the browser, launcher, maps, and Google Music. I'm definitely going to miss it on my next phone.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

brc64 posted:

Long press voice search was a pretty big thing, though. And I use the hardware search button pretty frequently in the browser, launcher, maps, and Google Music. I'm definitely going to miss it on my next phone.

Voice-activated functions were always so weak on my Evo that I hardly ever used it anyway. Is it better in ICS/Sense4?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jensen posted:

It really is a waste of space. I'm sure the hard keys have something to do with Sense, or maybe to get the thinness of the phone with the size of the battery they had that extra length and decided they might as well put something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Charlie Foxtrot posted:

Is the $50 + $50 Evo trade-in still active? I went in to Best Buy earlier this week and all the materials for that promo were gone. Also, I thought the $50 Google Wallet credit expired on May 22.

According to the mobile buyer's guide thing I grabbed from one of my local stores, the $50 + $50 Evo trade-in is going on through June 2nd. And yeah, looks like the Wallet credit did expire on 5/22.