Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If your girlfriend doesn't like Beck you should probably just break up with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

If your girlfriend doesn't like Beck you should probably just break up with her.

I don't know, when Scientology poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCg-3nxT8E&t=34s

starts creeping into his work, it's a major turn-off for me.

But then I remember that Guero was great and I forget about it.

Drugs are bad, mkay?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know, when Scientology poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCg-3nxT8E&t=34s

starts creeping into his work, it's a major turn-off for me.

But then I remember that Guero was great and I forget about it.

Drugs are bad, mkay?

I think everyone grossly over reacts to Scientology. It's really not any crazier than any other religion in terms of what they believe. Lots of great music is loaded with references to Christianity and it really doesn't concern me. I really like his music, so if he occasionally wants to throw in a shout out to his favorite sky man I don't really give a poo poo.

Also, forgive me if I'm being dense but where in this song/video does he incorporate references to Scientology?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I think everyone grossly over reacts to Scientology. It's really not any crazier than any other religion in terms of what they believe. Lots of great music is loaded with references to Christianity and it really doesn't concern me. I really like his music, so if he occasionally wants to throw in a shout out to his favorite sky man I don't really give a poo poo.

Also, forgive me if I'm being dense but where in this song/video does he incorporate references to Scientology?

I'm not going to go on a rant why Scientology isn't just another religion set in hundreds/thousands of years of tradition and culture because it's literally just a story made up in the 1950s by a science fiction writer who indicated that there was money to be gotten from organized religion, so he went ahead and got it.

It's one of the more absurdly ridiculous international scams that so many seem to have fallen for.

But you know, anyone can believe anything they want. If they want to be scammed out of all their money and pay the many, many Scientology fees to 'rise in level' more power to them.

I have a problem with it when the beliefs result in the deaths of innocent people:

Scientology has quite a negative stance on medicine, which has lead to the death of many of its followers. Even John Travolta's son's death might have been prevented had he given him the proper, or even any, of the medication that doctors advised him.

Walking past a convenience store aisle of drugs such as aspirin and going, 'See! Skull! Drugs will kill us! Side-effect: DEATH!' is not rational talk. It's idiot talk. And when a great performer like Beck says something like that, it lends it credence when it shouldn't.

I mean, come on. The sign says, 'Fluoride corrects bad breath'. Which gets mangled into 'Side Effects DEATH' and a giant skull.

Guess this was a rant. I own a lot of Beck albums because he's a great musician and I don't remember at any point being confronted with something Scientology related. It's just that that part in a video (I don't even like videos but I happened to catch this one) stuck out like a sore thumb to me because the whole video he's seeing things as they should be or things as they really are and then suddenly, boom. Medicine equals Death, which is such an incredibly dumb thing to say that it baffles me.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's just that that part in a video (I don't even like videos but I happened to catch this one) stuck out like a sore thumb to me because the whole video he's seeing things as they should be or things as they really are and then suddenly, boom. Medicine equals Death, which is such an incredibly dumb thing to say that it baffles me.
A lot of medicine does have pretty extreme side effects, death is an exaggeration of that. If another musician did it and they didn't have a religious agenda to attach it to, it wouldn't be that far out from the lazy politics musicians tend to sling.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, to be fair, scientology doesn't have the market cornered on "medicine=bad" business. For instance, we could talk for hours about homeopathy. Granted, I'd only say one or two words in that time-frame, but you would be just as fulfilled.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SO HOW ABOUT SOME VINYLCHAT

My replacement DFA1979 shipped today, so it seems there are now only 999.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I know I'm late to the party, but my local store just so happened to have one copy of Heady Fwends left. They apparently received their copies after RSD was over.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Farts Domino posted:

A lot of medicine does have pretty extreme side effects, death is an exaggeration of that. If another musician did it and they didn't have a religious agenda to attach it to, it wouldn't be that far out from the lazy politics musicians tend to sling.

Because if another musician did it without having a religion behind him saying that 'Medicine=bad' it would actually be believable as a joking exaggeration. When you know the person's religion dictates that it is fact, it changes the context.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, to be fair, scientology doesn't have the market cornered on "medicine=bad" business. For instance, we could talk for hours about homeopathy. Granted, I'd only say one or two words in that time-frame, but you would be just as fulfilled.

I don't care what group of people is saying dumb poo poo like 'All medicine is bad for you', if you're a person in the spotlight and you start saying it I think it's a dick move.

traveling midget posted:

SO HOW ABOUT SOME VINYLCHAT

My replacement DFA1979 shipped today, so it seems there are now only 999.

Oh poo poo, I'm in Europe am I supposed to have it by now? :ohdear:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Because if another musician did it without having a religion behind him saying that 'Medicine=bad' it would actually be believable as a joking exaggeration. When you know the person's religion dictates that it is fact, it changes the context.

I don't care what group of people is saying dumb poo poo like 'All medicine is bad for you', if you're a person in the spotlight and you start saying it I think it's a dick move.

Oh poo poo, I'm in Europe am I supposed to have it by now? :ohdear:

East Coast US. I got one, it was damaged, I returned it, and now they're shipping a second one. I'd think yours would have gotten there already, it's been 3+ weeks since my first one came.

TheJackAttack
May 26, 2011

"Aw, yeah!"
I've been checking out this vinyl thread for a while and when I became a radio DJ I decided it was time for me to start my own collection.
Here's where it stands currently...
Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

When I get back to school, I'll take a picture of our radio station's vinyl collection. It's a massive thing of beauty.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

traveling midget posted:

East Coast US. I got one, it was damaged, I returned it, and now they're shipping a second one. I'd think yours would have gotten there already, it's been 3+ weeks since my first one came.

It's taken longer before, but yeah. Getting on it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

APTBS put up their pre-order. They have a fairly nice bundle setup for good prices.

http://www.scdistribution.com/aplacetoburystrangers/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Today's Vinyl bundle at PopMarket is 2LP 45rpm editions of Fleetwood Mac S/T and Rumours for only $60 :psyduck:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

traveling midget posted:

Today's Vinyl bundle at PopMarket is 2LP 45rpm editions of Fleetwood Mac S/T and Rumours for only $60 :psyduck:

I think that 2LP Rumors was originally 40 dollars so I guess that's a good deal (it's not).

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This week's haul:

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
cool heres mine

all originals, packed into a stupid large image cuz I suck.

the spines on the metal records are thrashed, probably because the guy had a cat or something. but hey, $15 for a Kill 'Em All on Megaforce aint bad.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

nadabolt posted:

cool heres mine

all originals, packed into a stupid large image cuz I suck.

the spines on the metal records are thrashed, probably because the guy had a cat or something. but hey, $15 for a Kill 'Em All on Megaforce aint bad.

I got it for $10 then sold it for even less :(

Picked up Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries and Television Personalities - ...And Don't The Kids Just Love It today. Got my Kickstarter only Black Tambourine EP the other day and it is sooo sooooo drat good.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

nadabolt posted:

but hey, $15 for a Kill 'Em All on Megaforce aint bad.
Hell yeah! Even with a roughed up spine that sounds like a great deal!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Being the friend/relative/neighbour that collects records, I found a large lot dumped in my room when I got home from work. I got through about half a dozen Nana Mouskouri records before I found a nice little collection of small run 70's Australian jazz records, many of them are signed by the bands, one had a letter to the previous owner.

It's not the find of the century, and I won't be retiring tommorow, but it's still nice to own such a piece of Australiana and only adds to what are some enjoyable records.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Being the friend/relative/neighbour that collects records, I found a large lot dumped in my room when I got home from work. I got through about half a dozen Nana Mouskouri records before I found a nice little collection of small run 70's Australian jazz records, many of them are signed by the bands, one had a letter to the previous owner.

It's not the find of the century, and I won't be retiring tommorow, but it's still nice to own such a piece of Australiana and only adds to what are some enjoyable records.

Can I ask what they were? Australian jazz is a bit of an interest in out family

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Kickstarter only Black Tambourine EP

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on this. It's Ramones covers right?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Found a copy of In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor this weekend. I loving love MDF.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Is Ride The Lightning by Metallica out of print now? So many chances to buy it but none of my local stores have a copy anymore.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Harry Privates posted:

Is Ride The Lightning by Metallica out of print now? So many chances to buy it but none of my local stores have a copy anymore.

The 2008 reissue on Warner Bros. might still be floating around; that's the one I have.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

big business sloth posted:

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on this. It's Ramones covers right?

Yeah. Here's the DL code if anyone wants it: PG5HZSG946

Slumberland put out a normal version of it that I can't imagine is sold out, its just not on splatter purple and clean vinyl

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'd really like to see/hear more about the AU jazz stuff, for sure. Pics?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

fozzie dunlop posted:

The 2008 reissue on Warner Bros. might still be floating around; that's the one I have.

Oh, I have the reissue, and let me say, DO NOT GET IT. It sounds terrible. First off, it is way too quiet. I have to turn my receiver up all the way to even hear it. And then, if that's not enough, the sound is way too overcompressed. Literally, all the detail in the drums, bass, guitars, and vocals is just mired because everything has the same volume.

They did a terrible job in my opinion.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh, I have the reissue, and let me say, DO NOT GET IT. It sounds terrible. First off, it is way too quiet. I have to turn my receiver up all the way to even hear it. And then, if that's not enough, the sound is way too overcompressed. Literally, all the detail in the drums, bass, guitars, and vocals is just mired because everything has the same volume.

They did a terrible job in my opinion.

I have the Justice reissue and it sounds like garbage as well (beyond the album's original production issues of course).

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

screaden posted:

Can I ask what they were? Australian jazz is a bit of an interest in out family

JehovahsWetness posted:

I'd really like to see/hear more about the AU jazz stuff, for sure. Pics?

I'm on crazy shift work at the moment, but as soon as all the passwords have been reset and nothing is AFFECT PRODUCTION I will post some pictures.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

I have the Justice reissue and it sounds like garbage as well (beyond the album's original production issues of course).

And it's a shame because I have the black album reissue, and honestly, that album sounded absolutely amazing.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I saw Motorbikes last year, and again just recently last Wednesday in Seattle. He now has a Kickstarter page to get his unreleased album "Notion Free" pressed. Whether or not you back his project, I suggest you check out his music on his Bandcamp (How To Execute? and New Color have some really great songs). I think he is a great songwriter, and really deserves a proper release like this. I can't say I am too fond of the name Motorbikes, but there might not be a more fitting website name than "kickstarter" for him. He's from Anacortes, WA.

Press "Notion Free" LP Vinyl Record by Motorbikes

The video links right before the album pictures are of the show I went to, last year. The one last week had him using a Boss loop pedal, and a guitar and bass, and he would build the loops real time, switch between the instruments, singing over everything. He did a great job of making the couple measure loops sound so dynamic.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Just got this one in the mail:

on black vinyl unfortunately, couldn't justify spending double to triple for the red copy on discogs

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was a little hesitant to actually go IN to a Hot Topic, but I always see their online stuff, and it came out pretty nicely.

Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica - This is the super nice 10-year anniversary reissue.

Modest Mouse - Good News for People who Love Bad News - This is an '04 original pressing. It was $11. Niiiice.

Fugazi - Fugazi EP - New, reissue. Like $9.

Minor Threat - S/T - New, reissue. Again, like $9.

Get Up Kids - Simple Science EP - This was on clearance, ended up being $2. Pink marbled vinyl, hand numbered 1536/2000. They did 4 separate colors within the 2000 so technically it's /500.

AND some coupons for $30 off $60 for my next purchase. Not bad.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

traveling midget posted:

Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods

Is Neck of the Woods transparent yellow? I was told there would be a transparent yellow vinyl version of this. Between new Silversuns and Metric putting out white albums of Snythetica, payday can't get here fast enough.

Biweekly paychecks :argh:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

President Kucinich posted:

Is Neck of the Woods transparent yellow? I was told there would be a transparent yellow vinyl version of this. Between new Silversuns and Metric putting out white albums of Snythetica, payday can't get here fast enough.

Biweekly paychecks :argh:

It's on black. There was a pre order ultimate edition, maybe that's on yellow?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got this in the mail:

e: here are some close ups of the discs

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 29, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
A couple of these records are from places other than Australia, The Ale & Thunder band are English, the Greek record seems to be a compilation of 78 rpms of Greek folk music, but there was a hand written letter from the compiler of the album inside. The Dixieland Riverboat Stompers seem to be from Italy. Some of these are not in the best state, but some lighter fluid usually lifts the old tape ok.

http://imgur.com/a/OHntE

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Today I saw a couple of Aphex Twin EPs and thought I may as well just buy them because they weren't that expensive, and I didn't want to go home empty handed anyway.

I have just put on the Come to Daddy EP, and the tracklisting is the wrong way round. Side A is actually Side B and vice versa. Right now I am listening to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, but the label says it should be Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix). After this on the record is Come to Daddy (Little Lord Faulteroy Mix), but the label says it should be Flim. On the back of the sleeve, Bucephalus is listed as the last track, but it's actually the first track on Side A. What's going on? Or is this just Aphex being Aphex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm not going to go on a rant why Scientology isn't just another religion set in hundreds/thousands of years of tradition and culture because it's literally just a story made up in the 1950s by a science fiction writer who indicated that there was money to be gotten from organized religion, so he went ahead and got it.

It's one of the more absurdly ridiculous international scams that so many seem to have fallen for.

But you know, anyone can believe anything they want. If they want to be scammed out of all their money and pay the many, many Scientology fees to 'rise in level' more power to them.

I have a problem with it when the beliefs result in the deaths of innocent people:

Scientology has quite a negative stance on medicine, which has lead to the death of many of its followers. Even John Travolta's son's death might have been prevented had he given him the proper, or even any, of the medication that doctors advised him.

Walking past a convenience store aisle of drugs such as aspirin and going, 'See! Skull! Drugs will kill us! Side-effect: DEATH!' is not rational talk. It's idiot talk. And when a great performer like Beck says something like that, it lends it credence when it shouldn't.

I mean, come on. The sign says, 'Fluoride corrects bad breath'. Which gets mangled into 'Side Effects DEATH' and a giant skull.

Guess this was a rant. I own a lot of Beck albums because he's a great musician and I don't remember at any point being confronted with something Scientology related. It's just that that part in a video (I don't even like videos but I happened to catch this one) stuck out like a sore thumb to me because the whole video he's seeing things as they should be or things as they really are and then suddenly, boom. Medicine equals Death, which is such an incredibly dumb thing to say that it baffles me.

I interpreted that song and video to be much more about hidden meanings, or double meanings. The chorus is relatively ambiguous and it is unknown if it is "sun eyed" or "cyanide" girl, to completely different meanings. It is also Beck and even stoned it is hard to interpret.