Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you knock golems down? Being a mage, my attacks do .00000000001 damage to it so I'm useless and have to rely on the pawns to attack the orbs. Unfortunately, none of them are smart enough to climb to its head and hit that one there (the only one left). The only way I'm going to beat it is for to knock it down so the jump slashes from my pawns, hopefully, hit it.

Any tips?

Seriously, whoever thought that making golems absolutely immune to all magic is a loving worthless wretch of a human being. Especially when the mage physical attacks are below useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Policenaut posted:

Hahaha god drat the Ur-Dragon is a bitch. It took me all afternoon but I finally managed to kill him (offline).

Where do you even find him?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Dogbutt posted:

This should be it, I think.
The Everfall, I think.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I got the 60 skull quest reward earlier, and just got the quest asking for 66 skulls. Problem is, I can't find any more skulls for the life of me. Just cleared the Everfall without finding a single one. Where's a good spot?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^^^
I'm very early in so there may be better spots, but I found a couple(3-4) in the well at the starting town. I imagine you could go in, get a bunch of skulls, then if you dont have enough exit and do it again.

Thievery posted:

Same for me. I can only assume it's like the hydra where you cut off one head then instead of mythology happening, it just disappears.

In the background you see the Hydra retreating.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I was on my way to the west stone and I ended up going through a canyon. It was nighttime so I was occasionally checking with my bow to see if any lockon crosshairs popped up and one did, so I fired a magical flare at it. It was a loving dragon and it mind controlled one of my pawns who held me in place while the dragon breathed fire over me. :gonk:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Needs More Jazz posted:

That'd be the one. You should be proud. She both kept the party healed and kept the cyclops stun-locked with lightning so I had time to throw out the big 'kill-em-all' spells.
:allears:

I'll have to see if I can pump her confidence up even more, then. And I guess I better not touch her inclinations if she's that good!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dogbutt posted:

In regular game, he's in the very bottom floor of Everfall. In New Game +, there's a purple riftstone in Cassardis that will directly warp you to him ala Lavos in Chrono Trigger.

He gives different rewards for defeating him online and off, plus after a certain amount of time he'll fly away. The upside is that on/offline his damage taken is persistent, so you can whittle him away. It took me the better part of 3 hours to kill him offline. The rewards aren't as great as they are online but I still got 3 level ups, 20 Wakestones, and objectively the best Mage staff in the game out of it. The equipment drop is randomized.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I got the 60 skull quest reward earlier, and just got the quest asking for 66 skulls. Problem is, I can't find any more skulls for the life of me. Just cleared the Everfall without finding a single one. Where's a good spot?

Explore the Catacombs and other underground areas, kill skeletons, and especially loot any of the rusty gear piles you might come across (Indicated by some armor and a sword sticking from the ground that has a cloth tassel that blows in the wind), all of those provide pretty regular skulls.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
I didn't want to test this in case it doesn't work. Can you place multiple port crystals and choose between them or will you only be able to go to the last placed one?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
/\/\ Yes. You can apparently buy multiple port crystals in the postgame, although they're as expensive as you'd assume they are.

Someone asked earlier what affinity to make their warrior. I've found that guardian primary and scather secondary is a pretty good mix, at least if you're a mage/sorcerer like I am. He'll focus on killing the guys coming after you and then scather will make him want to kill everything else. Mitigator/scather primary/secondary is what I'd go with if I was playing a physical class. Kill off all the weaklings, then focus down the tougher enemies.

The main thing is to check on your pawn's affinity fairly often. Since things you do in the world influence your pawn, it's easy to accidentally have your huge warrior become a pioneer/acquisitor and have him run around like an rear end in a top hat during fights picking up rocks/flowers. Go to the encampment and just stock up on the elixirs you want. They're cheap and being able to instantly change how your pawn behaves if you don't like what he's doing is nice.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Seriously, whoever thought that making golems absolutely immune to all magic is a loving worthless wretch of a human being. Especially when the mage physical attacks are below useless.

Magic archers (with staffs) are even worse since they can't even stun or damage them in any way

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jimbot posted:

They're great for smashing crates :v:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I'm kind of late to the party on this game (it owns) but what the hell is up with that title screen music :gonk:

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 27, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you used the wrong smiley there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I'm kind of late to the party on this game (it owns) but what the hell is up with that title screen music :gonk:

I agree, I also think that music should constantly kick in while you're playing and not just be used on the title screen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Have it kick in as soon as a 'boss' shows up, but time it perfectly so that the guitar starts right when you start attacking it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Thievery posted:

I just started using Sword/Bow on my assassin and it's surprisingly amazing. I used to be all about daggers/bow but since my current sword is so much better than any daggers i've got access to there's no point, and Gouge might be my favourite ability ever. Stand on monsters head, spam it, pick up loot two seconds later.

The problem I found after switching to Assassin is that I really really miss my dodge roll from Strider, and using a sword then necessitates that I need a shield for defensive moves. Unless there's some other mechanic I'm missing in the game? I'm still quite early in.

I also had no idea you could use abilities while climbing on monsters.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Just play this when you enter the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1wmHUBZFyM

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So, Ogres. You've basically just got to beat the crap out of them, no tricks or fancy crap?

Having explosive barrels handy does simplify the fight a bit, though. Hurts them good and sets them on fire.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Brackhar posted:

The problem I found after switching to Assassin is that I really really miss my dodge roll from Strider, and using a sword then necessitates that I need a shield for defensive moves. Unless there's some other mechanic I'm missing in the game? I'm still quite early in.

I also had no idea you could use abilities while climbing on monsters.

There is a sword counter for assassins later on. Also assassins should still be able to dodge-roll with daggers equipped?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

So, Ogres. You've basically just got to beat the crap out of them, no tricks or fancy crap?

Having explosive barrels handy does simplify the fight a bit, though. Hurts them good and sets them on fire.
Yeah, it seems not. Unlike the other large monsters, it has no destructable parts or weak points that I know of. It's just a ball of hit points with arms and legs.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If you get a couple of people holding on to an Ogre's legs you can sometimes drag it down. I guess that counts as a trick.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
An ogre's weak point is a party composed entirely of women. That and setting their faces on fire.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004
Dear god this game is frustrating. I just got my rear end kicked by a Chimera, a band of bandits, a pack of wolves and dudes with spike helmets all at once. Still fun though even if your pawns are loot whores.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Overbite posted:

This song is rad, why have some nutty j-metal on the title screen and appropriate classical stuff in game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Psalmanazar posted:

This song is rad, why have some nutty j-metal on the title screen and appropriate classical stuff in game?
My guess is that they needed something, anything to sell the game to the mainstream Japanese audience. That's B'z, they're one of the most famous bands over there.

I dunno if it worked, I haven't heard any numbers from over there but the game doesn't seem to be a huge topic of discussion apart from "man I wish they had had Japanese voices". Imagine playing the game without being able to turn the pawn subtitles off because you couldn't understand what they were saying otherwise.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Maelstrom or meteors. Which should I get?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't heard any numbers from over there but the game doesn't seem to be a huge topic of discussion apart from "man I wish they had had Japanese voices".

This happens with every JRPG released in English now. I don't understand why these people want them so badly when they don't understand Japanese in the first place.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
I personally find Bolide (meteors) more effective more often , but Maelstrom can really tear some stuff up too especially flying things.

iaStudent, I've been using Maxima for a several hours now, but I have bad news to report. He fell to his death at the bottom of a canyon. On the bright side it was because he was riding a cyclops on a narrow bridge when the cyclops lost its balance. He died with his boots on and took a cyclops with him.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

If you get a couple of people holding on to an Ogre's legs you can sometimes drag it down. I guess that counts as a trick.

Beware, they can and will grab you if your clinging on. Then you get eaten. I also only go the 4 I've fought to do the backwards dive once.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mill Village posted:

This happens with every JRPG released in English now. I don't understand why these people want them so badly when they don't understand Japanese in the first place.

Sanders is talking about the actual Japanese. Dragon's Dogma is English VA worldwide, I believe.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mill Village posted:

He's talking about Japanese people. I imagine it's really frustrating to have to leave pawn subtitles on to understand what they're saying.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Overbite posted:

I still don't know why dangan is not translated in the song.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Maelstrom or meteors. Which should I get?

Maelstrom.

Meteors are cool, but I find Maelstrom works better on tall bosses plus it's more accurate. It's also really good at wiping out entire groups of monsters if you can keep them off of you. It also has one of the best ranges for an attack spell so you can really gently caress people up before they even see you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mill Village posted:

As it's been said you kind of missed my point but you actually made another interesting one: lots of English speakers want their JRPGs in Japanese for various reasons, but in most JRPGs, what characters are saying isn't all that relevant to gameplay. In DD it is, they occasionally say fairly important things, during high-speed combat when you don't want to need to look down at the subs.

edit: as far as I can tell though the reverse isn't true, most Japanese players want Japanese voices in their games, period. Especially when it's a Japanese game and having only English voices is just bizarre, like with DD.

Edit: I guess Amazon.jp's user reviews are sitting at a stable 4 stars out of 5 with 244 reviews, so it isn't being received too badly, by people who decided to review anyway. Also it's a smooth curve which suggests that it's not stacked with either capcom plants, or haters.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 28, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samurai Sanders posted:

As it's been said you kind of missed my point but you actually made another interesting one: lots of English speakers want their JRPGs in Japanese for various reasons, but in most JRPGs, what characters are saying isn't all that relevant to gameplay. In DD it is, they occasionally say fairly important things, during high-speed combat when you don't want to need to look down at the subs.

edit: as far as I can tell though the reverse isn't true, most Japanese players want Japanese voices in their games, period. Especially when it's a Japanese game and having only English voices is just bizarre, like with DD.

I think it works for DD because the game is this low fantasy dungeons and dragon's style of world. It just wouldn't be right if they weren't all saying aught and poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Confirmed: Green pawns named Piccolo get hired more often.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I found a sword hidden in a chest in the ancient quarry with innate fire element. Is there any reason why mages keep giving me fire enchant? Are their enchants stronger, or do they just not recognize that the buff is active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Edit: I guess Amazon.jp's user reviews are sitting at a stable 4 stars out of 5 with 244 reviews, so it isn't being received too badly, by people who decided to review anyway.

Capcom claimed they had 500,000 pre-orders in Japan right before the game came out, which ain't too shabby.

• Locked thread