Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

When you are ready to proceed it will restart and you will be on your way. This is because an idling locomotive uses more fuel that a diesel semi-truck running full bore.

The message you are seeing is the option to press the reset button to delay the process. There are situations where you might want to delay auto shutdown. Like so you can keep it running for comfort (Air coditioning/Heat), or if you see that you are only going to be stopped for a moment, and want to save time from having to wait for the prime/start/ready to go sequence.

Not to be too much of a dick, but that's a poo poo-load of fuel to burn to run the AC. That's gotta be just about the most expensive bloody HVAC system there is. Do they seriously not have auxiliary power for this?

edit: and I also learnt a new word today. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Fire Storm posted:

Thought I'd post this here. There's a non-profit organization known as The Geek Group, and they have this nifty habit of posting cool videos about technology, and this particular video is about diesel-electric locomotive basics on an old EMD SW9 switcher.

Last 10 minutes (51 minute video) is video of the train running through a switch yard.

Is it wrong that all of the "I don't know." items infuriate the gently caress out of me? If you're going to do a video like this, either edit those bits out, or do it the right way and rehearse the things you're going to point out...

A for effort in terms of attempting to educate the proles, but D- for actual knowledge content.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I recommend Shorpy.com to everyone. It's all old photos of everything you can imagine.

Like this - Circa 1910. "Passenger (observation) locomotive train car of New York Central R.R." 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection

Link to page where's you can find the full-size photo

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Captain Postal posted:

Not to be too much of a dick, but that's a poo poo-load of fuel to burn to run the AC. That's gotta be just about the most expensive bloody HVAC system there is. Do they seriously not have auxiliary power for this?

edit: and I also learnt a new word today. Thanks!

The messed up thing is they DO have it on diesel trucks. It keeps the engine and fuel warm, and runs the cab heat/AC.

The heat and AC are all electric on these locomotive, yet they cut off (supposedly) to keep the battery banks from dying down too far to start the engine. The messed up thing is some of these newer locomotives employ huge electric air compressors that never stop during shut down, plus some also restart using an air powered starter. Which means the cranking current needed isn't as big of a deal.

Let me tell you, when that air powered starter cranks that 16 cylinder (or V-12) engine up, it sounds like god's impact wrench freewheeling.

also this:

more posters

related to that video of the near hit redblock run I posted earlier

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Picture out of nowhere for noreason

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

So why didn't the truck fall off?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Hang on lads, I've got a great idea...

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I know a shortcut!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Here is another shot:

Surprised it has no dynamic brake UP must use these on the plains.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 24, 2012

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

one more

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KennyLoggins posted:

Here is another shot:

Surprised it has no dynamic brake UP must use these on the plains.

Actually the vents behind the cab is the dynamics. All S560s and newer units are not as obvious about the dynamics.

The SD40s were the last ones with "blisters". And no, the UP doesn't really care where units go. As long as there is appropriate powered axles per ton and equivalent dynamic braking axles per ton, units just go where ever. But mostly you will find the AC4400's on coal and bulk trains.

There is actually a blue, green, red, black and bulk unit groups. Units are classified into them based on how many miles an engine runs and so forth. I think there is a manifest pool as well. I cant remember of the top of my head, I will look tomorrow.

The SD40's are currently getting rebuilt. I don't like them at all, they just don't load up like the old SD40s. To much computer crap and fuel saving technologies getting in the way.

Oh and I just started holding a regular job... 1st shift, Sat/Sun off.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So, I was looking up stuff on the Sierra Railroad no. 3 locomotive they used in Back To The Future III (Locomotive 131) and I noticed in a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJilm5L0-I) that unlike in the movie it doesn't have a balloon stack. Was that smokestack only used for the movie appearance? I noticed in the video it was also used a couple other times on TV shows.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

B4Ctom1 posted:

Any backstory to this? Googling the engine number turns up some railfan forum posts saying the yard at that GM plant is notorious for derailments but nothing more.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Geoj posted:

Any backstory to this? Googling the engine number turns up some railfan forum posts saying the yard at that GM plant is notorious for derailments but nothing more.

Found the place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Etiwa...&gl=us&t=h&z=18

With all that asphalt you could have one hell of an autocross.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Saw this the other day at work.

They really go off to the right as far as you can see.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's quite the collection of horsepower there.

Repair yard or something?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slung Blade posted:

That's quite the collection of horsepower there.

Repair yard or something?

Storage.

Its very bad to see that many units sitting idle.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KennyLoggins posted:

Found the place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Etiwa...&gl=us&t=h&z=18

With all that asphalt you could have one hell of an autocross.

So looks like a simple matter of someone didn't stop in time and went off the end of the rails.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Sitting in the station for the White Pass and Yukon Route, we're scheduled on a flagstop train to drop us off at a caboose we've rented for a cabin. I honestly don't know whether I'd be more excited if the locos were Alco units or the rebuilt GE shovelnoses.

Yesterday we took a trip over the pass behind #73, a Mikado built in 1947. Man, can that sucker pull. There's something magical about hearing it slowly lose speed as it climbs the 3.9% grade up the pass. I had bunker fuel all over my face from sticking out the side of the car.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

We have one too
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cheyenne,+wy&hl=en&ll=41.130417,-104.789466&spn=0.000544,0.001321&hnear=Cheyenne,+Laramie,+Wyoming&t=h&z=20

That has happened here as well.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have a video to share. Please let me know if I did this right:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Pzikk_x3PKWVpHZVAyX0lmUWc

Ok to rehost to share here on SA. Try to keep it here (yeah right).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh Boy my current town!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have a video to share. Please let me know if I did this right:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Pzikk_x3PKWVpHZVAyX0lmUWc

Ok to rehost to share here on SA. Try to keep it here (yeah right).

You gone done it wrong son. :clint:

I fixed it for you. (And the rest of AI.) Hosted it for you on my own hosting. PM me if you need it deleted at any point in time.

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/Unnerving-Crossover.wmv

Edit:

What the hell is that place. It looks like Serious Industry happens there...

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Sponge! posted:

You gone done it wrong son. :clint:

I fixed it for you. (And the rest of AI.) Hosted it for you on my own hosting. PM me if you need it deleted at any point in time.

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/Unnerving-Crossover.wmv

Edit:

What the hell is that place. It looks like Serious Industry happens there...

I have hosting too, but wasn't sure how it would respond to having an 88MB vid pulled over and over.

That is the east end of the Cheyenne yard, a very old and historic rail yard. There is a refinery adjacent to it. If you zoom out you will see there is another refinery of sorts to the west as well.

Also there is a smaller BNSF yard just to the north and west of it.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh Boy my current town!
Really?

also, "current"?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Interesting way of transporting the Tube trains here:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have hosting too, but wasn't sure how it would respond to having an 88MB vid pulled over and over.

Afraid of a little Horrible Technological Failure? :3:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That's my beloved Met line stock, which is being retired as we speak. Super comfy and spacious, and being replaced with the uglier and harder S-stock trains. The Met line is much more suburban than the others, and to a degree, it represented the slightly plusher aspect of the LU.

The Met line trains and architecture is some of the nicest aspects of the LU, and it's a bit of a shame to see it all getting replaced.

Had hoped to go on the met line on those trains one last time, but I'm working in Bristol now and suspect I've missed my opportunity.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 27, 2012

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Zeether posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJilm5L0-I

So, I was looking up stuff on the Sierra Railroad no. 3 locomotive they used in Back To The Future III (Locomotive 131) and I noticed in a video that unlike in the movie it doesn't have a balloon stack. Was that smokestack only used for the movie appearance? I noticed in the video it was also used a couple other times on TV shows.

It's been dressed up in various guises for Hollywood movies and TV shows.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

echoplex posted:

Cool train stations

I am always impressed with how intricate and unique train stations are. Airports always look so bland and boring. Take one step into Grand Central in NY and then step into JFK (about the best looking of the 3 in the are).

I don't care what any one says, there is something classy about the sound of the marble floors, the hustle and bustle of people getting from train to train, the intricate scroll work on the trim, and the golden clock in the middle of the room.

Makes you almost wish for the golden age of train travel.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I helped change out a traction motor last night. It was a royal pain in the rear end and I hope I never have to do it again. Also I got home at 2:00 am and slept till 2:00 pm.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Makes you almost wish for the golden age of train travel.

It never really left us, although sadly a huge amount of our grand old stations were refurbed in our era of architectural malaise - Birmingham New Street is just one of the stations that was ruined. But the met line - where that train from the lorry was on - still has all it's glorious art deco (and nouveau on occasion) stations and fittings. When it was built it was all about social mobility (not even really a pun there) and it was very aspirational, and I love it. My local station is being decomissioned in a few years and I'd love to buy it... can't see that happening though.

Most of the buildings are different, in varying levels of grandness:

Other lines on the London Underground are much more get the gently caress in/get the gently caress out, which makes their stations less interesting.

One of those railway rarities where the infrastructure is more interesting than the trains themselves I guess.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

echoplex posted:

It never really left us, although sadly a huge amount of our grand old stations were refurbed in our era of architectural malaise - Birmingham New Street is just one of the stations that was ruined. But the met line - where that train from the lorry was on - still has all it's glorious art deco (and nouveau on occasion) stations and fittings. When it was built it was all about social mobility (not even really a pun there) and it was very aspirational, and I love it. My local station is being decomissioned in a few years and I'd love to buy it... can't see that happening though.

Most of the buildings are different, in varying levels of grandness:

Other lines on the London Underground are much more get the gently caress in/get the gently caress out, which makes their stations less interesting.

One of those railway rarities where the infrastructure is more interesting than the trains themselves I guess.

This used to be my local station when I lived in London:

Look at that, a flying saucer in the middle of suburbia. Charles Holden :allears:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Catzilla posted:

This used to be my local station when I lived in London:

Look at that, a flying saucer in the middle of suburbia. Charles Holden :allears:

Reminds me of North and Apple Store on the ‘L’ Red Line.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

echoplex posted:

It never really left us, although sadly a huge amount of our grand old stations were refurbed in our era of architectural malaise - Birmingham New Street is just one of the stations that was ruined.
You might want to check out a couple of Gavin Stamp's books, he looks at the huge amount of beautiful architecture that has been wantonly destroyed over the years.

Some of the poo poo they pulled in the sixties/seventies was an atrocity. Again in Birmingham, the destruction of the 19th century Central Library wasn't even necessary, the new building was immediately to the north of it.

At least you can lay the blame for most of Coventry on the Germans :(.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

echoplex posted:

It never really left us
A lot of people in Britain knows what (the old) Slough Bus Station looks/ed like, thanks to Ricky Gervais. Slough Train Station, on the other hand:

A Grade 2 Listed Building (translation: don't knock this down or otherwise mess with it) with a double-width road leading down to it. Why? Well, back when the railways were first really taking off, the headmaster of Eton College didn't want any stations built near his college because it might lead his precious students into temptation and moral decline. So Slough (briefly) became the de facto Royal Station for Queen Vicky and her extended family. Therefore Slough got a pretty, oversized station. And then, within a couple of decades, people went "sod it" and built a pair of (ornate, oversized) stations right next to the castle in Windsor anyway.

Slough station has two other claims to fame, to boot: The first murderer caught by telegraph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tawell) and it also has a stuffed dog from the 19th Century:

Much more interesting that that concrete monstrosity the buses used to run through.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is horrible
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...xV0V_story.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wake up, train thread!

Glorious double header..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0gaHvVOz8E&hd=1

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Speaking of NKP 765, here's it's mainline schedule for the next month or so.
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2012-excursion-schedule/#content

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Speaking of NKP 765, here's it's mainline schedule for the next month or so.
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2012-excursion-schedule/#content

I live in Fort Wayne and am a huge antique steam nut and how the hell did I not know about this? Is there any way the general public can catch a ride on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you guys wondered what switchmen do... here is a good video that kinda shows us in action. I am the guy at 3:01.... Minus the jacket.

http://youtu.be/6UkNNDUUR9Y

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 18, 2012