Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

You know, I'm halfway convinced The Exorcist III is better than the original.

Halfway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

jeremy oval office posted:

Halfway.

If that's the one with the hospital scare, then yeah, it is the best one. It may be a jump scare, but it's a great one.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
I've thought so myself on occasion, but no, Exorcist III is utterly marred by its botched ending IMO. There's a lot to like about it - Father Mornings speech is one of the great "Get thee behind me Satan" moments in cinema - but the whole thing is just kind of hysterical and unnecessary.

Great film though. The shot of the stairs at the beginning with Tubular Bells playing is one of my favourite singular images in horror.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

jeremy oval office posted:

Halfway.

I like it a lot, and sadly it was botched in the editing room by execs who wanted more 'scares'. William Freidkin recently did an AMA on Reddit and someone mentioned that at one time he like WPB's idea so much that he was interested in directing but dropped out, the poster wanted to know why but sadly Freidkin just avoided the question. He did later say that all the sequels and ripoffs were poo poo though.

I think it's severely underrated, and suffers from being labelled an Exorcist sequel. Again through no fault of Blatty's. It's tied to that film obviously, but it wasn't seen as a direct sequel to it.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I like Exorcist 3, it's definitely the best sequel but that is a backhanded compliment. In a lot of ways it's an absolute mess of a film - the tone is all over the place, the performances and dialogue and stagey and fake-sounding, it's loaded with the kind of heavy-handed symbolism that Friedkin didn't like in Blatty's first draft for the original and wanted to avoid, some scenes feel unfinished or hastily cut and the ending, although entirely due to studio interference and unreasonable demands, is awful.

There's enough good in there to make it an interesting curiosity, but I don't know how people can compare it to the original. It has the potential to at least approach it, but for the most part it never really works.

I would recommend reading the book it's based on though because it's really, really good - almost frustrating when you realise what the film could have been. A better Blatty directed sort-of sequel to the The Exorcist is The Ninth Configuration. It's not really a horror, and it's only a sequel spiritually (although one of the main characters is the astronaut from the party in the first film), but it has a very similar style to the third film, although it's much more cohesive because it seems like Blatty was given free reign. Jason Miller is great in a supporting role, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Ninth Configuration is a very, very strange movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I straight up through-and-through loathed The Ninth Configuration when I saw it, but I still wonder if that was a failing on my end, not the film's.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I know, Blatty has a bizarre style that's very artificial or overly theatrical that is let completely loose in The Ninth Configuration. Because he can indulge it I think it works, whereas in Exorcist 3 in some places it's restrained and others it comes out and creates an awkward contrast. It doesn't sit right next to the original either.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Not sure how the Innkeepers came from the same guy as The House of The Devil. Innkeepers was absolute boring poo poo and I wanted to call Amazon and get my money back. Made it through about 45 minutes. I've never not finished a movie before

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

which is when the rest of the movie became a bunch of running through dark corridors.
Low budget movies tend to do this to fill time, and that's generally when they go downhill. Radioactive Dreams comes to mind.

Uri really wasn't all that sketchy. Other than taking a bunch of stupid kids into the Exclusion Zone despite being told not to.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Not sure how the Innkeepers came from the same guy as The House of The Devil. Innkeepers was absolute boring poo poo and I wanted to call Amazon and get my money back. Made it through about 45 minutes. I've never not finished a movie before

Yeah a lot of people were saying good things about The Innkeepers, and I was totally ready to love it, but instead I was just really disappointed. House of the Devil is a much better movie.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Casimir Radon posted:

Low budget movies tend to do this to fill time, and that's generally when they go downhill. Radioactive Dreams comes to mind.

Uri really wasn't all that sketchy. Other than taking a bunch of stupid kids into the Exclusion Zone despite being told not to.

I thought he was when he kicked the ashes of the fire. I thought he was trying to hide evidence of previous people or something and I was a little bummed that he ends up being monster mush.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SO was the monsters in Chernobyl Diaries just mutated cannibal hillbillies ala The Hills Have Eyes? That's what I got out of the previews for the movie. I already saw that movie and the only thing this looked like it had going was the location which looked awesome. I guess I'm just wondering if there was more to the "monsters" than that.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Ninth Configuration is a very, very strange movie.

Agreed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ramadu posted:

SO was the monsters in Chernobyl Diaries just mutated cannibal hillbillies ala The Hills Have Eyes? That's what I got out of the previews for the movie. I already saw that movie and the only thing this looked like it had going was the location which looked awesome. I guess I'm just wondering if there was more to the "monsters" than that.

That's basically it. There was a mental hospital that contained people that had been mutated by the fallout and they escaped from the hospital and wandered throughout Pripyat and the reactor. These patients are the ones who killed all of the main characters.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

VaultAggie posted:

I thought he was when he kicked the ashes of the fire. I thought he was trying to hide evidence of previous people or something and I was a little bummed that he ends up being monster mush.
I took that as him just not wanting to freak them all out more, after the issues they had already, but it was kind of suspicious. It doesn't develop into anything definite though, and he seemed really surprised himself whenever something went wrong.

I did like the small bits of his character development trying to fight through the script in the scenes right before that. The first one is where he gets irritated at the guy who he thinks is going to steal the watch. He tells him not to touch it because it's contaminated, but you can tell he has a lot of disdain for anyone who would loot stuff from the buildings. Then there's the scene where he walks into the next room and is looking around almost sadly, unless I was just reading into something that wasn't there.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 28, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's basically it. There was a mental hospital that contained people that had been mutated by the fallout and they escaped from the hospital and wandered throughout Pripyat and the reactor. These patients are the ones who killed all of the main characters.

This actually kind of makes me wince. There's potential to do a lot of fun, interesting stuff with that setting and that's what they went with? :mryuck:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Toaster Beef posted:

Chernobyl Diaries is solid for about forty minutes, but after a very specific point it devolves into a standard horror movie that could've taken place anywhere. Total waste of the atmosphere. And the scares didn't compensate at all.

You know, the exact same thing could be said of The Descent, but folks around here loving love that movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone seen the Woman in Black and whether it's a good movie or not? I really need my horror fix, the last good one I saw was Cabin. Ugh, not enough good horror. Also Bloodydisgustings.com new system and lay out sucks everything looks like it's ranked five. I just felt like making a complaint about that too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I took that as him just not wanting to freak them all out more, after the issues they had already, but it was kind of suspicious. It doesn't develop into anything definite though, and he seemed really surprised himself whenever something went wrong.
That's what I got out of it.

Hollis posted:

Has anyone seen the Woman in Black and whether it's a good movie or not? I really need my horror fix, the last good one I saw was Cabin. Ugh, not enough good horror. Also Bloodydisgustings.com new system and lay out sucks everything looks like it's ranked five. I just felt like making a complaint about that too.
It's a little over reliant on jump scares, but they're drat effective jump scares. I don't think I've ever jumped that many times during a movie, and 4 people walked out during the course of the movie. It's worth a watch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hollis posted:

I saw it in theaters and thought it was pretty drat boring. Seemed like something Daniel Radcliffe starred in just to make a buck. I didn't find it scary in the least.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hollis posted:

It's basically "Jump Scare: The Movie," and the best thing I could probably say about the film is that it's pretty standard fare. Radcliffe is competent, and I think he does a fairly good job of carrying the film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ornamented Death posted:

You know, the exact same thing could be said of The Descent, but folks around here loving love that movie.

I agree with you completely and the collective cock sucking of this movie, that occurred (mostly online), was weird.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I agree with you completely and the collective cock sucking of this movie, that occurred (mostly online), was weird.
Nah, The Descent's tight. It's like the all-female counterpart to The Thing and The Descent achieves this incredible tension that's absent from most horror films.

Not that its inclusion on my horror class syllabus has much bearing (the professor also selected My Little Eye, which is little more than an interesting failure), but it's one of only three films made in the last decade that we're watching in that class, the other two being Monsters and Attack the Block. In fact, The Descent is the last movie we'll watch this term; I'm excited to see it again in a classroom setting.

Also, the sequel's pretty solid too. It's not quite The Descent, and it never strays far from its source, but it goes for some pretty exhilarating set pieces.

On another note, I've been considering doing this extra credit thing on recent French horror, and I just watched Sheitan a.k.a. I Don't Know What the gently caress I Just Watched. ... It's never boring, I guess? I just never thought I'd see a real-life game of Red Rocket unfold onscreen, let alone in a movie that's equally inspired by Deliverance and acid trips. Oh well, at least it was better than Calvaire. Still not as good as Inside, Martyrs or Them, though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

trip9 posted:

Yeah a lot of people were saying good things about The Innkeepers, and I was totally ready to love it, but instead I was just really disappointed. House of the Devil is a much better movie.

Innkeepers actually rules, but it is less comedic and much more character-centric than House of the Devil, which stayed tied to one subjectivity throughout.

It's extremely empathic and, like any good ghost story, not actually about the ghosts. It's important to keep in mind that the first half (or so) of the film is an extremely deadpan 'lovely job' comedy based around Sara Paxton's excellent performance. It's not so much horror 'til later in the film - and even then it's more heartbreaking than scary.

In that sense, it's House of the Devil in reverse. Where House of the Devil quietly built up to gonzo 'Evil Dead' exploitation, Innkeepers frontloads the comedy to disarm you.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 28, 2012

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Casimir Radon posted:

Along those lines, I thought it was pretty good we didn't actually see much of the radioactive crazy people. One of the few things I thought Chernobyl Diaries really got right, and it probably came more out of necessity than anything else.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even if it weren't awesome in like every other way, the Descent has some of the best cinematography I've ever seen in a horror movie.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Urgh, I watched Woman in Black last night. I was pretty bored. There's a couple of decent jump scares but Daniel Radcliffe is so utterly emotionless in this film (he reminded me of Keanu Reeves in Dracula, except with even fewer facial expressions) and it never felt at all tense. I was just sat waiting for the next time there'd be a creepy face or a mysterious figure somewhere in the shot but didn't really care or feel anxious about it popping up.

I'm on a bit of a horror movie kick these past few days, and I've got Lake Mungo and The Silent House lined up for tonight. Just waiting for the sun to go down...

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

President Anime 2008 posted:

Urgh, I watched Woman in Black last night. I was pretty bored.

I'm on a bit of a horror movie kick these past few days, and I've got Lake Mungo

Good luck with that.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I am also one of the recent home-viewers of The Woman in Black, and my basic reaction is that it's nicely made and inoffensive. Some of the imagery works well, some of it is rather standard. Apart from that, the movie is just kind of there -- The Innkeepers told a much better classic-style ghost story, and it wasn't even a period piece.

I suppose in TWiB's defense, I was constantly comparing it to the stage-play, which is similarly filled with jump scares but also is surprisingly sophisticated in how it deals with notions of theater performance, identity, and haunting. Obviously these things aren't well preserved in the transition to film.

Also I guess I should rewatch The Descent sometime this summer. I was really underwhelmed with it on my first viewing and was confused by the love it got.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's extremely empathic and, like any good ghost story, not actually about the ghosts. It's important to keep in mind that the first half (or so) of the film is an extremely deadpan 'lovely job' comedy based around Sara Paxton's excellent performance. It's not so much horror 'til later in the film - and even then it's more heartbreaking than scary.

We have been agreeing a lot lately, my man. Heartbreaking is exactly how I'd describe The Innkeepers. I will say the sense of dread that creeps in towards the end of the film does lead to some excellent scares. It's just that nothing scary happens for a good run time, so most people get bored and don't care. I loved every second of the character building, and it makes it so much more distressing when the scary stuff happens, because you care about the characters.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

I'm on a bit of a horror movie kick these past few days, and I've got Lake Mungo and The Silent House lined up for tonight. Just waiting for the sun to go down...
Don't do any drinking because you will be asleep quick. Lake Mungo is a more like a drama than a horror movie.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I take it Lake Mungo wasn't hugely well received here? I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's not really a 'horror'... I love David Lynch stuff, and this felt a lot like an homage to the darker sides of Twin Peaks. The sound and music was excellent and made me feel really uncomfortable throughout - a lot like Angelo Badalamenti's droning, ambient scores are for Lynch. No real jump scares, no gore, but a constant feeling of dread.

It reminds me of when I watched Inland Empire with a friend when it came out, and she texted me to say "You know... that film wasn't scary, except I normally enjoy walking home after a movie but this time I just couldn't wait to get home and feel safe." It's been a while since something made me feel this uneasy.

Gonna watch the Silent House tomorrow instead now.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I take it Lake Mungo wasn't hugely well received here? I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's not really a 'horror'... I love David Lynch stuff, and this felt a lot like an homage to the darker sides of Twin Peaks. The sound and music was excellent and made me feel really uncomfortable throughout - a lot like Angelo Badalamenti's droning, ambient scores are for Lynch. No real jump scares, no gore, but a constant feeling of dread.

It reminds me of when I watched Inland Empire with a friend when it came out, and she texted me to say "You know... that film wasn't scary, except I normally enjoy walking home after a movie but this time I just couldn't wait to get home and feel safe." It's been a while since something made me feel this uneasy.

I'd say it was very well received, however it's pretty boring and not a lot happens in it that is very horrific. So when he said he was bored by one and was looking forward to the other, it is pretty funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Silent House...that was the one with Daniel Craig, huh? If so, I saw that one but it was completely forgettable. Kinda like Woman In Black. I don't think any part of that movie struck me as being particularly unsettling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Silent House...that was the one with Daniel Craig, huh? If so, I saw that one but it was completely forgettable. Kinda like Woman In Black. I don't think any part of that movie struck me as being particularly unsettling.

You're thinking of Dream House. Silent House is the one that is shot all in one take and blows.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I thought it was ok. Could have been way better though. All suspense with not much payoff.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I watched Chernobyl Diaries with some friends this weekend. I thought it was overall very, very mediocre, but the scenes of them walking around Pripyat are incredibly eerie. I loved BEARNOBYL.

After that we watched We Need to Talk About Kevin, which has been on my mind since I watched it. What a hosed up movie. It stars Tilda Swinton and John C Reilly as a couple who decide to have their first child in their late thirties, a boy named Kevin. Even as a very young child, he is vicious, manipulative, selfish, and emotionless and is a sociopath in the making. The story switches between pre- and post- monstrous act of cruelty that Kevin commits. Ezra Miller looks sort of like a prettyboy Evil Jonas Brother but was awesomely creepy and malicious, John C Reilly is great but really needs to take on less "hurr I'm oblivious" roles, and Tilda Swinton is awesome as a very fragile and frightened but also somewhat detached mother, but you already knew that.

Very little violence is actually shown, and for the violent scenes we only see the aftermath, but I still found it very disturbing. I had trouble falling asleep after watching it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lake Mungo is my favorite horror film of the last 10 years, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

You're thinking of Dream House. Silent House is the one that is shot all in one take and blows.

OH. Right. I saw Silent House in theaters and thought the concept was pretty cool but the execution was fairly lame. I don't really remember much of what happened in that movie. Was the whole thing in Elizabeth Olsen's head ? If not, then I have no idea. Must not have been all that interesting if I don't remember what happened at all.