Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Well it's official. My first final exams start in a month and I am terrified 8(

Locomotion
Organs of Digestion
Endocrinology
Pathology
Immunology
Infections and Responses
Virology
Bacteriology
Animal Husbandry
Neurology
Renal and Urinary Tract
Reproduction
Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Systems
Hematology
Parasitology

Did I mention I am terrified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Today I heard about a vet student who named his Boxer puppy Ruby (short for doxorubicin).

I felt the need to share.

Good luck on finals everyone still in classes and early congratulations to our seniors who will be doctors soon!

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I don't mean to crow here but I survived and I am totally in for my clinical year! I don't know about other schools but OVC tries to kill us all at the end of third year...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Solis posted:

I don't mean to crow here but I survived and I am totally in for my clinical year! I don't know about other schools but OVC tries to kill us all at the end of third year...

It seems like here the crazy mostly takes place the last 2 quarters of second year. Last quarter of 3rd year seems pretty decent except for the surgery practical which a lot of people were pretty rattled by. Chaco and HSS can correct me if I'm wrong (and then I will kill myself because second year really, really sucks and if third is worse then uhhhh...).

Congratulations though!

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I am positively delighted that my parasitology text contains the phrase "pinch a loaf." :allears:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

It seems like here the crazy mostly takes place the last 2 quarters of second year. Last quarter of 3rd year seems pretty decent except for the surgery practical which a lot of people were pretty rattled by. Chaco and HSS can correct me if I'm wrong (and then I will kill myself because second year really, really sucks and if third is worse then uhhhh...).

Congratulations though!

3rd year is awesome. The worst quarter (in terms of tests and pure :smith:) was Winter quarter 2nd year. I loving loved third year - but was also done with lectures (as in sat in the back playing videogames not listening because gently caress LECTURES) at that point. You guys don't have to do SAVMA Symposium, so you'll have even less to do!

Surgery practical wasn't bad at all - people talk it up a lot but people just like to complain (if you haven't already figured that out).

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 19, 2012

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

3rd year is awesome. The worst quarter (in terms of tests and pure :smith:) was Winter quarter 2nd year. I loving loved third year - but was also done with lectures (as in sat in the back playing videogames not listening because gently caress LECTURES) at that point. You guys don't have to do SAVMA Symposium, so you'll have even less to do!

Surgery practical wasn't bad at all - people talk it up a lot but people just like to complain (if you haven't already figured that out).

Thank god cause right now I want to leap off a loving cliff, but only after pushing off all the people who annoy the poo poo out of me first (there are a lot of those).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just make sure you have your elective requirements in check prior to third year - having to take like 16 units when other people are taking 8 because the classes you wanted to take earlier didn't exist anymore isn't fun.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Just make sure you have your elective requirements in check prior to third year - having to take like 16 units when other people are taking 8 because the classes you wanted to take earlier didn't exist anymore isn't fun.
Yeah, I'm a little short because I only took one medicine this spring - going to figure it out with the dean next week, but I think I'm going to have to take some random herd health and wildlife poo poo that's supposed to be easy. I think we'll be in moderate trouble too because they're really not offering as many electives next year due to the curriculum changes. Woooooooo being the last class in the old curriculum is awesome.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Yeah, I'm a little short because I only took one medicine this spring - going to figure it out with the dean next week, but I think I'm going to have to take some random herd health and wildlife poo poo that's supposed to be easy. I think we'll be in moderate trouble too because they're really not offering as many electives next year due to the curriculum changes. Woooooooo being the last class in the old curriculum is awesome.

I was totally trying to go for the wildlife one too (that's the one where you go for a week over spring break, right?) but because of SAVMA Symposium and my involvement with it (worst idea) I couldn't go and was contemplating taking Equine Locomotor and Ultrasound in third year... after never having taken a horse class.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm taking both SA and FA Medicine, probably 3 quarters of both so I'll probably end up being okay.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If it's one thing you guys will learn to hate... it's your pager. Trying to plan what you're gonna be doing for the evening (food, chores, etc., nothing fun... because you're on call) while keeping this tiny device in your pocket... or on your belt... or on your nightstand while you're trying to get some sleep...

Suddenly BEEPBEEPBEEP. Three numbers pop up and you're confused... you can't call that... and you don't have any inpatients...

It buzzes again two minutes later with a second page, this time with enough numbers for you to dial.

Receptionist says, "Cat's going to surgery." *click*

Wait, what cat? There's a cat? Too bad, no questions answered here!

And you make your way over in a partial daze to the hospital at 12 midnight with the single thought of: "There's a cat... I don't know where... or with what... and I have to do something with it..."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey, here's a fun game to play!

It's the DON'T BE THAT rDVM GAME

Where you get presented with a patient that was terribly diagnosed and horribly managed and you can't fathom how in the hell that person got to be a vet.

Then, when you get to call them later for the follow up call (as a good student should) they chew you out after you tell them of the diagnostics and actual diagnosis (while you have being very polite and cordial and non-accusatory) because you: a) don't know what it's like in the real world; b) do too many diagnostics and are not useful; c) are young and don't understand life.

And then the resident, who has been sitting next to you working on records writes a note saying, "I forgot it was that rDVM sorry" and looks at you very apologetically.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

If it's one thing you guys will learn to hate... it's your pager. Trying to plan what you're gonna be doing for the evening (food, chores, etc., nothing fun... because you're on call) while keeping this tiny device in your pocket... or on your belt... or on your nightstand while you're trying to get some sleep...

Suddenly BEEPBEEPBEEP. Three numbers pop up and you're confused... you can't call that... and you don't have any inpatients...

It buzzes again two minutes later with a second page, this time with enough numbers for you to dial.

Receptionist says, "Cat's going to surgery." *click*

Wait, what cat? There's a cat? Too bad, no questions answered here!

And you make your way over in a partial daze to the hospital at 12 midnight with the single thought of: "There's a cat... I don't know where... or with what... and I have to do something with it..."

My girlfriend is in her last 6 weeks of an internship. She complains about that god drat pager at least twice a day.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

I tempted fate and went to play hockey in Vacaville last year when I was on call for SA Med SATC. I only had one inpatient and she was a relatively stable pancreatitis patient, and I figured the SA Med service didn't really do much as far as taking in patients on emergency at 11 pm. I brought the pager out on the bench with me, haha. No page though!

edit: If I were paged I would've still been able to get to the VMTH in less than 30 mins likely, with some speeding, but man I would have smelled awful. :v:

Also I did learn to hate the pager during Neuro summer clinics. On-call sleep was the worst sleep. Maybe it gets better as you get used to it?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 22, 2012

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

On-call sleep was the worst sleep. Maybe it gets better as you get used to it?

No, no it doesn't. You just sleep better (? maybe just more) because you're exhausted and thus more unconscious.

You may sleep through it though!

Just pray you're not one of those poor people who gets their pager number mixed up with reception. We have several duplicate first names in our class, and quite often they get paged for each other's pages.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I've never slept through my pager, but I'm always terrified that I will. I sleep really hard and have to take some meds before I sleep that really don't help either. I clip it to my shirt when I sleep. I tried to find a stand to put it on that would detect it vibrating and set off a siren, but what I got just didn't work :(

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
We have a surgery resident who sleeps like the dead. Her pager and phone are on the absolute loudest ringers, and you can still page her 3 times, then call her 3 times, and she will sleep straight through.

I have to be on call for SA med next week, but I don't think they've called anyone in this summer, so it'll probably be ok.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I'm on call now. Still, on call path isn't usually too bad except weekends. :)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

I'm on call now. Still, on call path isn't usually too bad except weekends. :)

So what generally is a path emergency?

What I can come up with:
- herd health situations (try to save the others!)
- some infectious disease processes where people/other animals have been bitten (figure it out to know the treatment!)

Also, what is the greatest number of different cancers you've found in an animal, and what was the animal and what were the cancers?

:ohdear: something is coming in with a painful abdomen and vomiting PLEASE let it be pancreatitis and not surgical :gonk:

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 23, 2012

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

So what generally is a path emergency?

What I can come up with:
- herd health situations (try to save the others!)
- some infectious disease processes where people/other animals have been bitten (figure it out to know the treatment!)

Yeah, also (IMO) neonatal diarrhea - I want the GIT out as fast as possible before it rots too much.

quote:

Also, what is the greatest number of different cancers you've found in an animal, and what was the animal and what were the cancers?

Good question - I don't remember right off. I can say I've seen slides of "collision tumors", where you get two different masses (usually a carcinoma and a sarcoma) that invade the same tissue. They like to put these on boards. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

:ohdear: something is coming in with a painful abdomen and vomiting PLEASE let it be pancreatitis and not surgical :gonk:

Are you on SA Surgery right now? I'll be doing SATC this weekend for surgery so you can transfer me any cases you have on Friday at 4, haha.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Are you on SA Surgery right now? I'll be doing SATC this weekend for surgery so you can transfer me any cases you have on Friday at 4, haha.

Nah, I'm the dude with the gas.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Saw a really interesting case today... a congenital traumatic diaphragmatic hernia. Poor puppy had a nearly completely dysplastic diaphragm so like 80% of it was a wispy thin membrane that'd probably break if he sneezed. The surgeon had to pretty much make a new one out of Prolene.

My wrists ached at the end of it from holding the retractors. Worth it for the close up view though!

I also heard back from Penn, they're offering me a shot at either an emerg or ICU external rotation... I can't decide which!

Solis fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 24, 2012

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Solis posted:

a congenital traumatic diaphragmatic hernia

The puppy was hit by a car in utero?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

The puppy was hit by a car in utero?

Glad I'm not the only one still trying to figure that one out.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

The diaphragm was so weak the vet thinks it just jumped off of something or coughed and it tore.

ETA: Yes I know that makes the hernia not congenital but I couldn't really think of a better way to put it that still sounded cool

Solis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 24, 2012

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
That does sound cool, Solis. You know what I saw today? A dog that was brought into emerg for a tick. It wasn't actually a tick.

I'm on nights this week and for the past 2 nights, zero animals have come in during my shift. There are literally no dogs in ICU right now, and just 3 in wards. I saw my first emerg case in 3 days and it was a not-tick.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

Braki posted:

That does sound cool, Solis. You know what I saw today? A dog that was brought into emerg for a tick. It wasn't actually a tick.

I'm on nights this week and for the past 2 nights, zero animals have come in during my shift. There are literally no dogs in ICU right now, and just 3 in wards. I saw my first emerg case in 3 days and it was a not-tick.

You have now poked a stick at the angry gods of emergencies. You will be rewarded with 3 blocked cats, 2 bloats, and a Serval who fell out of a pear tree.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solis posted:

I also heard back from Penn, they're offering me a shot at either an emerg or ICU external rotation... I can't decide which!

Rumor mill goes that Penn Emerg is good poo poo.

Braki, and when all those cool cases are coming in, you'll get bitten by a stable cat with only a slightly swollen face, which will later go vasodilatory and die (for no apparent reason) - that's what happened to me. Apparently I'm poisonous.

I was on our ER overnights the first warm day of the season - we had 2 definite rattlesnake envemonations and one possible - when the possible was on the lists, we were getting worried about our stock of antivenin, as we were starting to run low and the poor student on pharmacy didn't know if we had a hidden stash somewhere.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
You guys are making me feel so lucky about my summer gig. I'm at an emergency private practice, and tonight we had 16 hospitalized cases when I left, only 2 of which were referrals for overnight care from daytime practices. The 16 includes 4 rattlesnake victims, but does not include 3 baby birds and a baby raccoon. It is way fun. :)

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

YourCreation posted:

You have now poked a stick at the angry gods of emergencies. You will be rewarded with 3 blocked cats, 2 bloats, and a Serval who fell out of a pear tree.

If only! But alas, my week of nights ends with a whimper.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Yep, still in classes. I hate you guys. Care factor is exponentially decreasing.

Topoisomerase and I made horse sperm art yesterday. I dub this new art form "splart." I think this art form should help defray our massive looming debt.

I definitely need a better splart camera than my lovely phone.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Well, this rather exciting (short!) week ended with only a TPLO and casting a radius fracture.

Over the course of 4 days I saw: that neat diaphragmatic hernia, 3 TPLOs (2 with severe meniscal damage), ventral slot cervical distraction, a massive gastric ulcer resection and cystotomy, a gastrocnemius tendon repair and an extracapsular cruciate repair. Not too bad. I am going to be pretty drat tired at the end of the year if they're all at this pace though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Did you have to pick up that EMG/muscle biopsy/bilateral FHO that was going on? They were just getting it ready for the FHOs when I left around 4pm. That thing literally was induced at 8am.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Did you have to pick up that EMG/muscle biopsy/bilateral FHO that was going on? They were just getting it ready for the FHOs when I left around 4pm. That thing literally was induced at 8am.

No, I took one ortho and one ST case that were going home Sat morning, but then Sat night got called in at 11:30 for a BDLD with a wound that communicated with the rectum. Yeah, emergency went to flush the wound (on the dog's left flank) and the saline went out the rectum. So at 1 am I was scrubbing into surgery so I could hold up the dog's tail and push on the dog's butthole so the surgeon could access the defect to close it. Ended up getting out around 3:30. Sometimes in situations like that, you stand there and reevaluate where your life went wrong...

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

No, I took one ortho and one ST case that were going home Sat morning, but then Sat night got called in at 11:30 for a BDLD with a wound that communicated with the rectum. Yeah, emergency went to flush the wound (on the dog's left flank) and the saline went out the rectum. So at 1 am I was scrubbing into surgery so I could hold up the dog's tail and push on the dog's butthole so the surgeon could access the defect to close it. Ended up getting out around 3:30. Sometimes in situations like that, you stand there and reevaluate where your life went wrong...

I hope you called it the Jenna surgical approach.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Goodbye sunlight, home-made food, cats, TV, video games, socializing outside the hospital, etc. etc.

Hello, Neurology rotation.

Two and a half weeks. Going out with a bang.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Goodbye sunlight, home-made food, cats, TV, video games, socializing outside the hospital, etc. etc.

Neuro is fun! Except for bitey dachshunds. No one likes those.

Someone who worked for years as an ICU tech just thought plasma volume was TP quantities and questioned why TP was going down from 22.5 to 18.2 during exercise. She didn't question the enormous magnitude of these numbers, just wondered why the TP was going down during exercise when he had said in the previous slide that they went up.

I'm so ready to be done with this quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Well this time you can pass your cases off to me for sure, because I'm on NNS for graduation week treatment crew. :D

• Locked thread