Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Chard posted:

I tried like 15 different combinations on Casual and I still can't get a perfect clear of the first wave on the Easy track past the first encounter. I can clear the levels, but its always by the skin of my teeth. I don't feel like the levels are teaching me how to play as much as they're rewarding random good luck.

Of the three PJ games I own this one promised to be the most laid-back and it's the exact opposite. The fact that you're stuck with only what, 4 towers out of the whole wheel? That's also incredibly stupid, I don't want to hoard gems so I can spend 5x the gold of a regular tower on something extra for the last wave.

Unless I'm missing something incredibly basic it just feels very poorly designed, especially against the other two very entertaining titles I picked up.

This has pretty much been my experience too. Maybe some sort of how to play correctly video could help us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Evil Vin posted:

This has pretty much been my experience too. Maybe some sort of how to play correctly video could help us.

I think maybe I was too quick to defend how not-so-hard Monsters can be. I forgot that I've put over 100 hours into it. In the beginning I was rarely concerned with rainbowing each stage. If you expect to master the game that fast, it probably won't happen.

Don't let the pleasant music and cutesy graphics fool you. The game is hard, and it may take a few hours to learn all the tricks and such the game "teaches" you. If the aforementioned music or graphic styles don't charm you from the outset, the game may not be your cup of tea.

All that being said, the game has quite a bit of depth, and is pretty rewarding if you care to invest the time. One solution is to play the game co-op. You're able to act twice as fast, though money goes only to the person who picks it up. I wish there was online co-op, because I'd love to help people out who don't know wtf. I've got a few friends hooked, and it helps to have a vet on your side to tell you whats going on.

But basically, just keep plugging along and don't worry about rainbows. You can always go back later for that.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 28, 2012

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just in case anybody was wondering whether or not D&D: Daggerdale is still awful... yep, it's still awful. I guess I should have expected as much given that the studio that developed it went tits up almost a year ago but aside from being one of the most boring and repetitive games I've ever played, I just lost about two and a half hours of progress because the game froze after handing in a quest, and the auto-save apparently doesn't, you know, actually save your progress.

Seriously, this poo poo makes Dungeon Hunter: Alliance look like a goddamn masterpiece.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm organising a games convention at the moment so I was hoping you guys could help me out. In an offline LAN 4-player free-for-all for Uncharted 3, does it have to be 1 player per screen or can you double up with split-screen? I don't have 4 PS3s at home sadly to test but I was hoping to be able to screen-share so that I can get more players going at once!

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Raging Pacifist posted:

Just in case anybody was wondering whether or not D&D: Daggerdale is still awful... yep, it's still awful. I guess I should have expected as much given that the studio that developed it went tits up almost a year ago but aside from being one of the most boring and repetitive games I've ever played, I just lost about two and a half hours of progress because the game froze after handing in a quest, and the auto-save apparently doesn't, you know, actually save your progress.

Seriously, this poo poo makes Dungeon Hunter: Alliance look like a goddamn masterpiece.

Can you coop it with a 4yr old? That's one thing DH:A has going for it

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

quote:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/28/psn-introduces-ultimate-editions/

Red Dead Redemption with Legends and Killers, Liars and Cheats and Undead Nightmare

Rockstar’s open-world Western with DLC offering nine new multiplayer maps, over 25 new multiplayer characters, additional new multiplayer weapons and new trophies. Oh, zombies, too!
$27.99 ($19.59 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

InFAMOUS 2 Complete Edition

Cole MacGrath returns in SuckerPunch’s action adventure hit. Help save New Marais from the Beast, and itself.
$33.99 ($23.79 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

BioShock 2 with Exclusive Character Pack, Minerva’s Den, The Protector Trials, Rapture Metro and Sinclair Solutions

This survival horror shooter from 2K Games picks up eight years after the ending of the first BioShock. The DLC brings you an increased multiplayer rank (up to 50), 4 new multiplayer characters, 6 new multiplayer maps, 6 new trials maps, new weapons, trophies and trials.

MotorStorm Apocalypse

This intense racing game from Evolution Studios gives you over 40 tracks based in The City, on the west coast of the United States. Play through the Festival solo, in couch co-op, or online multiplayer.
$50.49 ($35.34 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

Call of Duty: Black Ops with First Strike, Escalation, Annihilation and Rezurrection Packs

Treyarch’s latest CoD installment speaks for itself. We’ve added all four Map Packs to this Ultimate Edition, bringing you over 20 new maps and new playable characters.
$66.49 ($46.54 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition

Help Cole Phelps clean up 1947 Los Angeles in this captivating open-world crime adventure from Rockstar. This Ultimate Edition includes plenty of additional cases for you to solve.

Mafia II
Mafia II with Betrayal of Jimmy, Greaser Pack, Jimmy’s Vendetta, Joe’s Adventure, Renegade Pack, Vegas Pack and Hero Pack

2K’s third-person action-adventure sequel offers a gritty mid-century gangster experience you’re sure to enjoy. DLC adds new missions, new clothes and new cars.
$20.99 ($14.69 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

Just Cause 2 Ultimate Edition

This Avalanche Studios title places you in the fictional Pacific island of Panau, giving you an open-world adventure experience you’re sure to remember. This Ultimate Edition includes new weapons and vehicles for you to enjoy.
$20.99 ($14.69 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

Mortal Kombat with the Warrior Bundle and Klassic Skins Pack 1

Get the latest version of this 2D fighter classic along with Klassic Costumes for Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Mileena, Kitana, Ermac and Jade. Add in new warriors Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and Freddy Krueger and you have this unbeatable Ultimate Edition.
$34.99 ($24.49 for PlayStation Plus Members!)

I'm pretty excited since I just picked up PSN+ for my US account last month and was looking to pick up RDR GotY edition since Rockstar won my love with Max Payne 3 but as an Aussie I was waiting for it to be less than $60 bucks.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2012

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I'm actually really tempted to get Just Cause and Mafia 2 from that. Seems like I should sign up for a plus account!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Unless you love driving aimlessly while nothing happens for 12 hours you should skip Mafia 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah uh Mafia 2 isn't that great of a game if you're searching for some kind of exciting 1940s mobster open world kind of deal. It's more or less a game that just happens to have an open world but doesn't do anything with it (because 2K Games cut most of it out to sell as DLC but never did when the game cratered)

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
Also ChiaPetOutletStore if the DLC included in the Just Cause 2 Ultimate pack is the same as the Platinum version then the price for the Just Cause 2 platinum pack from Ozgameshop is $21AU which doesn't really make picking up PSNplus just for that alone seem worth it. However I can't recommend the US PSNplus enough, I picked it up last month and got a pretty large number of games straight away.

It's a drat shame the AU PSNplus isn't even close to the value of the US one. Not only does it cost $20 dollars more for the year but you get less items. It does get some good items every now and then such as Max Payne 1 recently but all in all you get much less for your money.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So tempted to get that MK bundle...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SolidRed posted:

Ultimate Edition News

That's a great sale. Infamous 2, RDR, and Mortal Kombat could all pretty easily be considered the best of their genres.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah uh Mafia 2 isn't that great of a game if you're searching for some kind of exciting 1940s mobster open world kind of deal. It's more or less a game that just happens to have an open world but doesn't do anything with it (because 2K Games cut most of it out to sell as DLC but never did when the game cratered)

Oh really? I figured the dlc in the thing was the cut content, but if not I guess it really isn't worth it. I loved the original though, so I was hoping the restored stuff would make it into an ok game. Thanks for the heads up, I guess!

SolidRed posted:

Also ChiaPetOutletStore if the DLC included in the Just Cause 2 Ultimate pack is the same as the Platinum version then the price for the Just Cause 2 platinum pack from Ozgameshop is $21AU which doesn't really make picking up PSNplus just for that alone seem worth it. However I can't recommend the US PSNplus enough, I picked it up last month and got a pretty large number of games straight away.

This isn't the only reason I'd get plus, it's just the reminder. I'm also Canadian, not Australian though, so I'd get the good stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So I played and beat Puzzle Agent today, which if you don't know is pretty much Telltale Games answer to the Layton games.

The story and atmosphere were fan-loving-tastic. he whole thing has a heavy Twin Peaks vibe which I honestly think it nails better than Deadly Premonition did. The whole thing feels kind of light and cartoony but it gets oddly intense at times and there's a few moments that are actually kind of creepy in a weird way. Storywise it might be Tell tales best. In the story department it kicks the poo poo out of Layton.

Unfortunately every other aspect was worse. The puzzles were...not so great. There were a few really good ones but the repeated ones were most not very interesting. There were also a bunch that had really unclear instructions on what exactly what they wanted you to do. The pacing was also really off. Sometimes you'd do a puzzle that was really hard and it would immediately be followed by one that was almost embarrassingly easy.

The controls also sucked. It was clear this was designed as a PC game and they did a poo poo job translating the controls to a controller. There are times when you want to select an object and you just can't logically make your way over to it. The stick is ultra sensitive and just scrolling over one object can be a pain in the rear end.

The performance also wasn't great. It was better than most PS3 version of Telltale games but there was still odd loading and some stuttering dialogue. This is especially bad given how simplistic the graphics are.

Overall it was still worth playing but if hadn't gotten it in my share group before that collapsed there would be no reason in the world to get it on PSN over the much cheaper PC version (well other than a really easy to 100% set of trophies).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you like the atmosphere but hate the gameplay then go google Grickle and watch all of his cartoons on Youtube. They're all great and exactly what you would expect, weird creepy and fun. I actually think his stuff is better without dialogue (though I did enjoy Puzzle Agent regardless).

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Why does Motorstorm Apocalypse's price remain so high? I have been under the impression that they really had trouble moving this game, but it's still priced almost like new.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ColdCock posted:

Why does Motorstorm Apocalypse's price remain so high? I have been under the impression that they really had trouble moving this game, but it's still priced almost like new.

It's an exclusive. Lair is still expensive, and it was a launch title. (and terrible)

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
That "Ultimate" Edition sale has me looking at Mortal Kombat.

Having not spent much time with either series since the mid-nineties, which would serve as a better re-introduction to fighters? MK or Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (not on sale but also recently went up on the PSN Store).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Prototype 2 is already 50% off. Today's special deal.

Never buy a game at release.

revolther
May 27, 2008

ColdCock posted:

The bad thing is Motorstorm Apocalypse doesn't sell itself very well from the Demo they have up. I was trying to impress a friend who likes racing games, and had to go back like 3 years in my download history just to find the original Pacific Rift Demo(the non 3d one which may not still be publicly available). Apocalypse has so much more going on but just isn't as pretty.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kaleidoscope posted:

That "Ultimate" Edition sale has me looking at Mortal Kombat.

Having not spent much time with either series since the mid-nineties, which would serve as a better re-introduction to fighters? MK or Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (not on sale but also recently went up on the PSN Store).

Mortal Kombat x1,000,000. It's the high water mark of fighting games, it sets the bar in terms of presentation and quantiity and quality of content. I spent 20 years hating everything about Mortal Kombat, but I've bought MK9 twice (double dipping for my Vita) because it's so good that it just cannot be ignored. It's loving awesome. I recently got Super Street Fighter IV with my new slim Xbox and I couldn't even finish one playthrough of arcade mode as it seems to be just the same game I was playing 20 years ago on my SNES, albeit prettier.

Mortal Kombat is so good I recommend it even to people that hate fighting games, it's quality blows away mere genre boundaries. I went from MK hater to gushing fanboy, and I cannot endorse it highly enough. Everyone that owns a console that can play it, owes it to themselves to get that game. Greatest fighting game to have ever been released.

I'm sure SSFIV has it's defenders, but if you are out of the loop on fighting games and don't really give a gently caress and just want to hit dudes in visually interesting ways then just go for Mortal Kombat. 8 hour story mode. 300 challenge tower levels. Ridiculous amounts of content, so many ways to have fun while hitting people. Also, not ridiculously spergy with the controls, it doesn't use diagonals for button inputs at all so pulling off cool moves is quick and easy, and more about timing rather than memorisation. It's just more fun than any other fighting game.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm actually really tempted to get Just Cause and Mafia 2 from that. Seems like I should sign up for a plus account!

I finally cracked three months back and got PS+ and I regret only not having got it sooner. So much free stuff. So many discounts. If you are still wavering, just go into the PS+ section of the store and check out the "free games and DLC" section and see all the loot still on offer at the moment. It's ridiculously good value, and my three month pass just expired and I'll be renewing it on payday as the first thing I do.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Harlock posted:

Prototype 2 is already 50% off. Today's special deal.

Never buy a game at release.

I'll still buy games that I really, really want day 1, but it's still funny to see Prototype 2 fail so badly.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I might as well give Mortal Kombat a go then. I've given up on UMvC3 since I just can't get used to the speed of the game, and Gundam Extreme Vs. is dead as far as online goes. If nothing else, I can use Kratos and that's always a good thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It should also be noted that Mortal Kombat might have the only good story mode in a story mode. The story mode isn't even good for a fighting game, or good for a video game. It's just plain good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

revolther posted:

The bad thing is Motorstorm Apocalypse doesn't sell itself very well from the Demo they have up. I was trying to impress a friend who likes racing games, and had to go back like 3 years in my download history just to find the original Pacific Rift Demo(the non 3d one which may not still be publicly available). Apocalypse has so much more going on but just isn't as pretty.

Yeah Apocalypse isn't a bad game at all but it just didn't grab me like Pacific Rift did. Also the gigantic delay around the earthquake in Japan didn't help its sales at all.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I've given up on UMvC3 since I just can't get used to the speed of the game

What's your PSN ID? I'll play some UMvC3 with you sometime if you haven't got rid of the game. I like the game a lot but I'm not very good so playing online is pretty painful since I'm a casual gamer when it comes to fighting games and everybody else seems to know the intricacies of the combat system inside out :(

This applies to anybody else too! If you like UMvC3 but you suck at it, let's play :shobon:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MUFFlNS posted:

What's your PSN ID? I'll play some UMvC3 with you sometime if you haven't got rid of the game. I like the game a lot but I'm not very good so playing online is pretty painful since I'm a casual gamer when it comes to fighting games and everybody else seems to know the intricacies of the combat system inside out :(

This applies to anybody else too! If you like UMvC3 but you suck at it, let's play :shobon:

I already got rid of the game on SAMart. My PSN is TaurusOxford if you want to add me anyways(this applies to anyone with MK already. I'll want some goons to play with).

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Was the Mortal Kombat demo taken off PSN? I can't seem to find it, and I don't have PSN+ so the full trial isn't an option. Definitely not paying for a Mortal Kombat game without getting to try it first.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

MUFFlNS posted:

I'll take you up on this offer. I usually beat my friends who don't own the game, but get absolutely destroyed online.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When does this sale start? I'm probably going to pick up JC2, but it's still listed at $30 on PSN right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When the store updates.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I might be up for some UMVC3. PSN is axleblaze if you want to add me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SpacePig posted:

I'll still buy games that I really, really want day 1, but it's still funny to see Prototype 2 fail so badly.

Ha, and how many of those stupid challenges aren't even unlocked yet?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

axleblaze posted:

It should also be noted that Mortal Kombat might have the only good story mode in a story mode. The story mode isn't even good for a fighting game, or good for a video game. It's just plain good.

It's what MK 2: the movie should've been.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have $20 to spend, I'm pretty sure I'm getting JC2 but I've been thinking about Awesomenauts too. Do people play this online? How is the splitscreen? I tried the demo and it was fun, but with only one class it was tough to judge replay value on a game like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Krad posted:

It's what MK 2: the movie should've been.

Well, poo poo. Now I might grab it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

explosivo posted:

I have $20 to spend, I'm pretty sure I'm getting JC2 but I've been thinking about Awesomenauts too. Do people play this online? How is the splitscreen? I tried the demo and it was fun, but with only one class it was tough to judge replay value on a game like that.
Awesomenauts is bad, don't even bother.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crows Turn Off posted:

Awesomenauts is bad, don't even bother.

:tipshat:

Thank you, sir!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Well, poo poo. Now I might grab it.

As I said, it's genuinely good. It does that odd thing the latest Star Trek did where the plot makes it a sequel, a prequel, a reboot and a remake all at the same time. The characters are actually pretty well written, the plot is kind of interesting and they went out of their way to make it so the fights felt like a natural part of the plot rather than an interruption.

It of course helps that the actual game is fantastic. It's the first MK game that really feels on even ground with the competition.

In general, how can anyone not want a game that has this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I was all set and ready to buy MK with my Plus discount but now that the store is up and I am downloading the Arkham City DLC I have a harder choice. Rayman Origins was added at pretty much the same price as MK is now.

poo poo, if I wanted Plus to save me money I would not bite on these sales and finally finish Trine 2 and play some Rock of Ages.

• Locked thread