Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Haven't really watched since Phil died. I loved the show until that season and once I read that he had passed I knew that I had to watch that season but it seemed like the second that episode aired I just quit caring. I loved Phil and what he brought to the show. I hate Keith, the Hillstrands seem like annoying white trash and while I love Sig, I didn't like where things were headed between he and his brother and the Northwestern just seemed like depression central what with that kid's dad running away to commit suicide and him being just constantly down and worried about his family and his sick sister.

It was such a fun show for me and a fantastic reality show(and I'm usually terribly picky about those) but I suppose it had to end some time and Phil's passing did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

smg77 posted:

I wish they hadn't changed the quota system after the first or second season. The way it used to work where the season opened and everybody raced around trying to catch as much crab as they could before they got the notice that the season was ending made for way better television.

Well, the show didn't change that, it was done by the fishing board responsible for managing the crab population. They're trying to prevent overfishing.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Deadliest Catch has always felt like the most real (as minimally scripted as possible) of the reality shows...but the GoPro camera strapped across the Greenhorn's chest as he was taken off the boat and loaded into the USCG helicopter was pretty ridiculous...

"Holy crap, this kid is in bad shape..."
"Gang, can we just strap this little...camera...across him here? For TV? There we go!"

Also, didn't Flying Wild Alaska just end? They're already talking a new season in a couple weeks.

The camera was very tacky. No way that should have been done. I hope someone caught a lot of flak for it.

smg77 posted:

I wish they hadn't changed the quota system after the first or second season. The way it used to work where the season opened and everybody raced around trying to catch as much crab as they could before they got the notice that the season was ending made for way better television.

I was wondering how they determine quotas. Do they have an actual fleet that films the bottom or sonar or what?

The quotas were really messed up because it threw everyone off.

As for the captains, Jr. is worse than Keith in my book. Having guys go out there to pull gear with one motor in an Artic hurricane just to become a crab fishing legend is more dangerous than Keith who seems to snap after too long on the boat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kefkafloyd posted:

Well, the show didn't change that, it was done by the fishing board responsible for managing the crab population. They're trying to prevent overfishing.

It was also because it encouraged the fishermen to behave extremely dangerously.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

evilwaldo posted:

As for the captains, Jr. is worse than Keith in my book. Having guys go out there to pull gear with one motor in an Artic hurricane just to become a crab fishing legend is more dangerous than Keith who seems to snap after too long on the boat.

Elliot can't catch poo poo, his whole crew hates him and he knows it, and gets all pissy when the boat's owner tells him to stop fishing in a hurricane that could wipe out the whole boat and crew. Fishing in the same conditions on one engine definitely isn't the smartest thing Jr. has done, but at least he actually knows how to fish and will make sure his crew get sufficiently paid for the bullshit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

It was also because it encouraged the fishermen to behave extremely dangerously.

Like the Northwestern at the end of the first season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This King Crab season seemed to be the easiest I've ever seen for the Northwestern, probably because of the halved quota. There seemed to be very little grinding. Hopefully their luck keeps up for Opies. :unsmith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We talk about Keith is going to get someone on the Wizard killed one of these days, but Elliot on the Rambling Rose is going to get one of his crew members killed this loving season.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

We talk about Keith is going to get someone on the Wizard killed one of these days, but Elliot on the Rambling Rose is going to get one of his crew members killed this loving season.

Keith's a shithead but even he was like "okay, this is not fishing weather, everyone off the loving deck" when the 35-foot waves and 50-knot winds started coming in. Elliot was just "55-knot winds? What's so special about that it's just 5 over 50, we fish in 50 :smug:" and he's going to get his whole crew killed at this rate.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Keith's a shithead but even he was like "okay, this is not fishing weather, everyone off the loving deck" when the 35-foot waves and 50-knot winds started coming in. Elliot was just "55-knot winds? What's so special about that it's just 5 over 50, we fish in 50 :smug:" and he's going to get his whole crew killed at this rate.
Elliot and Jr. both need a reality check this year. Elliot is under the gun to perform and is being the biggest douche on the Bearing Sea. Jr is trying to be famous. Both actions will get themselves killed in the future if they are not careful.

Say what you want about Keith but he knows from experience how bad things can get and was willing to move his guys off deck.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

evilwaldo posted:

Elliot and Jr. both need a reality check this year. Elliot is under the gun to perform and is being the biggest douche on the Bearing Sea. Jr is trying to be famous. Both actions will get themselves killed in the future if they are not careful.

Say what you want about Keith but he knows from experience how bad things can get and was willing to move his guys off deck.

Yeah. Keith's recklessness is more from putting inexperienced people in lovely positions and how emotional he let's himself get, but he never ever forces his guys to fish in dangerous weather.

Elliot genuinely doesn't give a poo poo about his crew, and seems to have forgotten what it's like to be on deck even though it has only been like 2 years. If he hadn't gotten that call, someone would have gotten hurt or worse.

Jr's stupid obsession with being famous is ridiculous, but at least he showed some signs of realizing he might have made a mistake toward the end of the episode.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah. Keith's recklessness is more from putting inexperienced people in lovely positions and how emotional he let's himself get, but he never ever forces his guys to fish in dangerous weather.

Elliot genuinely doesn't give a poo poo about his crew, and seems to have forgotten what it's like to be on deck even though it has only been like 2 years. If he hadn't gotten that call, someone would have gotten hurt or worse.

Jr's stupid obsession with being famous is ridiculous, but at least he showed some signs of realizing he might have made a mistake toward the end of the episode.

I think when Mouse got swamped a couple of seasons ago on top of the stacks it woke him up. It does not help matters that they keep replaying it and Keith probably watches the show.

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
While Jr. has a big ego that gets him into trouble sometimes he doesn't seem to be a complete idiot in general like Elliot does.

Keith isn't an idiot either, but he let's his temper cause him to make all kinds of stupid thoughtless decisions.

Personally, I'd rather follow Jr. to the bottom of the sea while "going for greatness" than work a day on Keith or Elliot's boat if I had to choose between the 3.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just watched the last ep of Deadliest Catch and, yep, they sure put a GoPro on that convulsing dude's chest :stare:

That poo poo was pretty intense though, god drat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like how after the whole rescue was over the episode focused on Keith's thoughts, he said something to the effect of "I feel so bad. I hired a guy who just couldn't hack it."

Someone should just superglue his rear end to the side of the boat.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Only kinda related, but did anyone watch the Mermaid thing yesterday? I was midly interested in it, until I googled one of the "scientist" names and realized that they were all actors.

Uhhh what the gently caress.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TLG James posted:

Only kinda related, but did anyone watch the Mermaid thing yesterday? I was midly interested in it, until I googled one of the "scientist" names and realized that they were all actors.

I didn't catch it at all. What kind of show was it? Was it played as a legit doc, or was it more like that WHAT IF DRAGONS WERE REAL thing?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

nictigre03 posted:

While Jr. has a big ego that gets him into trouble sometimes he doesn't seem to be a complete idiot in general like Elliot does.

Keith isn't an idiot either, but he let's his temper cause him to make all kinds of stupid thoughtless decisions.

Personally, I'd rather follow Jr. to the bottom of the sea while "going for greatness" than work a day on Keith or Elliot's boat if I had to choose between the 3.

I liked the episode where Keith almost beat the poo poo out of a camera dude because he wouldn't make him a pot of coffee.

I feel like that in the morning.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

TLG James posted:

That was such garbage. Someone needs to hit a nuke button on the History and Animal Planet channels.

I started watching it and 5 minutes in called garbage, flipped channels, came back, and it got worse. I can't believe that someone actually gave that a green light and then approved the final product.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 28, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Does anyone know why the South Bronx has had a massive History Channel billboard thing for several years?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2113616398/lightbox/

I want to say about a decade. It's so... fancy... and has been there for so long.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ToastyPotato posted:

I didn't catch it at all. What kind of show was it? Was it played as a legit doc, or was it more like that WHAT IF DRAGONS WERE REAL thing?

It was portrayed as real, with some of the reenactments marked clearly as such.

I was interested because it started talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop this thing.

What a bummer. It mixed a few real events with stuff like that. I was really disappointed to learn that it was mostly fake.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The River Monsters finale is tonight at 9 PM! Anybody else enjoy that show as much as I do? Sometimes they play up the danger of the fish of the week a bit, but other than that I think they avoid a lot of the sensationalism that ruins most of the other "reality" shows. It doesn't hurt that Jeremy Wade is pretty much legitimately badass.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Love river monsters, I also like how Jeremy gets some stories from the locals from time to time.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
My only problem with river monsters is the fact that it feels like a 30 minute show extended out to an hour.

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot
I'm dvring river monsters because the hatfield & mccoys thing is on tonight at 9. It has Kevin Costner in it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I think Keith is king of cock suckers but I'll give him credit that the instant he saw Chris he saw how serious it was and reacted appropriately. Although the pause between "how many fingers do you see?" "four" and "I'm calling the coast guard" was kinda funny

Ahhh Real Zombies!
Jul 16, 2007
Get it?
So is anyone else watching The Devils Ride?

I wouldn't be surprised if somethings were fake or exaggerated (like the guy taking pictures of the old ladies), but it's entertaining enough (and it's not like there's anything else on right now anyway.)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if somethings were fake or exaggerated (like the guy taking pictures of the old ladies), but it's entertaining enough (and it's not like there's anything else on right now anyway.)

It's produced by a pro wrestling promoter. Yeah I'd say it's fake

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Those gold dredging rigs look a hell of a lot more professional than the ones in the Alaska show.

Edit: "Preliminary DNA tests suggest the Arapima Jeremy caught is a species new to science." Awesome!

Log082 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 29, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ahhh Real Zombies! posted:

The commercials made it look stupid so I never bothered. I did read that the bike club is real though it's one of those little enthusiast groups that operate with permission from the area MC.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well if tonight has cemented anything it's that Elliot really is both the most incompetent captain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the fleet.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And the Wizard goes through more greenhorns.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'd have to say Keith was in the right about his remaining greenhorn this episode. The guy did have an attitude problem (even if it was edited to make it worse, it was clearly there), and him leaving before offload clinched it.

I did miss a line--did he not get paid at all?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Well if tonight has cemented anything it's that Elliot really is both the most incompetent captain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the fleet.

I hope his bosses fire him. I hate watching him on the show.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

smg77 posted:

Well if the end of the episode is any indication, he's going to quit anyway. He clearly doesn't know what the gently caress he is doing, and has a crew that hates his guts. It's really amazing to watch the contrast between the Ramblin' Rose crew and the Time Bandit crew.

Pyroclastic posted:

I did miss a line--did he not get paid at all?

Even if he did, he doesn't deserve it.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

smg77 posted:

What makes me hate him even more is that he's obviously got an endorsement deal with that 686 poo poo he's always wearing.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
:dance: Ice Road Truckers are back! I don't know why I like this show exactly, but I never miss it. They are doing a 3-way split this year, Alaska, Manitoba, and the Yukon Territory. Too bad no Lisa though.

I was looking up info on it in Wiki, and ran across this:

quote:

Feature film

In 2008, Twentieth Century Fox acquired rights from the History Channel to create a scripted, theatrical action film based on the series.[11]

Wonder if that will ever happen, if it does, a truck will go though the ice, and another truck will stop, and someone will jump out and save the driver!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There's something really wrong about MythBusters doing a myth from Die Another Day.

On the other hand, they're wrapping Adam in bubble wrap and throwing him off a building.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TL posted:

There's something really wrong about MythBusters doing a myth from Die Another Day.

On the other hand, they're wrapping Adam in bubble wrap and throwing him off a building.

I do like how it showed that "Everyone in the car would die" thanks to the trapped rocket exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PowerBuilder3 posted:

:dance: Ice Road Truckers are back! I don't know why I like this show exactly, but I never miss it. They are doing a 3-way split this year, Alaska, Manitoba, and the Yukon Territory. Too bad no Lisa though.

I'm glad to see IRT back, but for whatever reason, it doesn't have the staying power as Deadliest Catch. I don't know if it was the narrator/producer (Thom Beers) and getting tired of his "The DASH for the CASH..." crap that got the show thrown off the original road, but I'm less enthusiastic about IRT than I used to be.

I'm glad they've brought back the roads in Manitoba and the Yukon which follow actual frozen lake driving, because after hearing about lake roads from a friend who lives in the Yukon, actually seeing stuff like driving past a cabin with a dock and being where the boats from said dock go during summer months is what's cool to me.

Lisa seemed to be trying too hard to become a celebrity. I followed her on Facebook only to later hide her stories because each post was "The episode's coming on tonight, hope you like it GO BUY MY poo poo!"

e- If anybody wants me to do an OP for IRT, I can, or if the mods would prefer IRT talk stay here, that's fine, too.

• Locked thread